• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 3 official: Snapdragon 820, 6GB of RAM, $399 with no invite necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a factory refresh on my OPO, and it's working like a dream. Just bought a Surface Pro 4, so I think I'll hold off for a while on new phone. Only thing I really want is a better camera.

So i got a nice offer to buy a used (three weeks old, receit, warranty papers, order number it's all there) for 350 euros. The seller is visting my hometown tomorrow and i am planning on buying the Oneplus 3 off him. But before i do i will definitely check to see if everything is in order. If the phone powers on, what the condition of the phone is, but it looked fine on photos.

Anyway, i was wondering, is there anything i should check tomorrow? Any features of the phone i should definitely check before making the purchase?

Socreges

Banned
So i got a nice offer to buy a used (three weeks old, receit, warranty papers, order number it's all there) for 350 euros. The seller is visting my hometown tomorrow and i am planning on buying the Oneplus 3 off him. But before i do i will definitely check to see if everything is in order. If the phone powers on, what the condition of the phone is, but it looked fine on photos.

Anyway, i was wondering, is there anything i should check tomorrow? Any features of the phone i should definitely check before making the purchase?
Gestures, alert slider, any buttons. You could read some articles about the OP3's unique features to both familiarize yourself in advance and also show you what to check out before you hand over your cash.

U2NUMB

I have really enjoyed my OP3 but for one reason... The Metal case is a no go for my awesome logitec car mount that uses magnets. If I have those magnets in my case my signal just flakes out.. take them out and LTE solid.

So I am bummed about that but glad I figured out that it was not the phone.

Jeffrey

I have really enjoyed my OP3 but for one reason... The Metal case is a no go for my awesome logitec car mount that uses magnets. If I have those magnets in my case my signal just flakes out.. take them out and LTE solid.

So I am bummed about that but glad I figured out that it was not the phone.

that is odd because most phones are metal these days and those cases do support recent iphones.

I got the Oneplus 3 just now. I looked at all the features. tried out the camera, checked to see if the phone was in a good condition and it was all good. Warranty and receit, all that, all good.

Great phone, really loving it.

Took a few pictures. Had to rescale them though otherwise uploading took forever.

Oh nevermind...Tinypic is not allowed?

U2NUMB

that is odd because most phones are metal these days and those cases do support recent iphones.

Well something is up with this mount and the OP3. The mount I have is..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNU9L1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is fantastic... but I put those magnets in my case or even attached to the outside of my case and boom my signal either just flat out vanishes or will often just not go back to LTE or any data connection. I remove them and everything is fine.

So far it's an awesome phone and i love the design. I don't know what Oneplus' claim was about the dash charging, but mine went from 15% to 60 in about 30 minutes. I think i read that it should be full in 45 minutes but that's not the case here. It took about 75 minutes.

Oh, question for all the owners out there. How long does your battery last if you keep all the settings (out of the box) on default and you just use Wifi for a bit of internet browsing and Whatsapp messaging now and then during the day?

Socreges

Banned
So far it's an awesome phone and i love the design. I don't know what Oneplus' claim was about the dash charging, but mine went from 15% to 60 in about 30 minutes. I think i read that it should be full in 45 minutes but that's not the case here. It took about 75 minutes.
I suspect they did that under certain conditions. The phone would probably have to be turned off, at a minimum, to get such a fast charge.

Oh, question for all the owners out there. How long does your battery last if you keep all the settings (out of the box) on default and you just use Wifi for a bit of internet browsing and Whatsapp messaging now and then during the day?
Probably 1.5 days? All depends on how often the screen is on, brightness, if you've got Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on at all times, etc.

Enkidu

Well something is up with this mount and the OP3. The mount I have is..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNU9L1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is fantastic... but I put those magnets in my case or even attached to the outside of my case and boom my signal either just flat out vanishes or will often just not go back to LTE or any data connection. I remove them and everything is fine.
I doubt it has anything to do with the Oneplus specifically having a metal case. Permanent magnets are not an inherent issue for antennas, however once you start placing metal near them that they haven't been designed for, weird things can happen. How close are the magnets to the top and bottom of the phone? That's where the antennas are so it's more sensitive. In fact, you generally place the main antenna at the bottom and the diversity at the top, so try to reposition the magnets away from the bottom if possible.

ElNino

OnePlus' claim was over 60% (63% to be exact) in 30 minutes, so you are pretty close to their claim.

I typically put it on the charger in the morning while I'm getting ready, as it's fully charged in about 45 minutes (usually from ~25%).

With light/moderate usage, I've been able to get about two days use. I can easily go a full day and be comfortable using it the next morning without worrying about it dying anytime soon.

I suspect they did that under certain conditions. The phone would probably have to be turned off, at a minimum, to get such a fast charge.

Probably 1.5 days? All depends on how often the screen is on, brightness, if you've got Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on at all times, etc.

Yeah that has to be it. Still pretty damn cool that Dash charging, loving the gestures too.

For me i'll probably keep the brightness as it is, Wifi at home is always enabled and Bluetooth only when connecting to my headphones or speaker.

OnePlus' claim was over 60% (63% to be exact) in 30 minutes, so you are pretty close to their claim.

I typically put it on the charger in the morning while I'm getting ready, as it's fully charged in about 45 minutes (usually from ~25%).

With light/moderate usage, I've been able to get about two days use. I can easily go a full day and be comfortable using it the next morning without worrying about it dying anytime soon.

Yeah but i believe according to reviewers Oneplus claimed from 1% to 60% and that doesn't seem to be true. Unless like the power above me says, it could be with the OP3 turned off.

I haven't been using the phone this evening at all much, on purpose. I wanted to see how much battery it would drain with the brightness at default, Wifi enabled and just on standby. At 7:30 in the evening it was at 96% and at 12:30 evening it was at 93%. So that seems good. I'll leave the phone on standby for the rest of the night and i'll check to see what the battery is at around 8 in the morning. But judging by this the battery seems to be fine.

Tomorrow i'll do some extensive gaming. See how long it will last that, simply out of curiosity.

Oh and as for charging, it's probably best to charge it when the phone let's you know it's at about 15%, right? Or is 1% fine too?

Socreges

Banned
Oh and as for charging, it's probably best to charge it when the phone let's you know it's at about 15%, right? Or is 1% fine too?
Don't all such batteries have a 'sweet spot' for longevity? 15-70% or something? Either way I just charge in the mornings at work up to the 90s and unplug. Serves me fine.

So I was curious how much the battery would have drained through the night. Very little. From 7:30 in the evening to 10 in the morning it had went from 96% to 86%. This was with default settings, WiFi on and on standby. Now let's see how long it lasts me when I use it quite a bit during the day.

oti

Banned
Just ordered it. 🤗
Super happy with my OPO, they've earned my trust. Now to find a case and maybe a screen protector.

I am reluctant to put this phone in a case, it seems like a waste of the great design. But on the other hand it will protect it if it ever falls. Plus it should also protect the camera a bit more hopefully.

Jeffrey

I am reluctant to put this phone in a case, it seems like a waste of the great design. But on the other hand it will protect it if it ever falls. Plus it should also protect the camera a bit more hopefully.

Also getting rma from oneplus is notoriously crappy. Best to not deal with that if you can.

Rellik

I might have to get this since I've had my G3 for quite a while now. and been looking to get something new.

Seeing it;s metal, I may have to grab a case, though. When I had a HTC One, I scratched the hell out of the metal.

Socreges

Banned
Got this one. Transparent so you still see the design. Also thin and easy to remove. And does what it needs to for protection. Highly recommended

Should be available through Amazon

Also getting rma from oneplus is notoriously crappy. Best to not deal with that if you can.

It;s that bad huh? Damn that's not good to hear.

Got this one. Transparent so you still see the design. Also thin and easy to remove. And does what it needs to for protection. Highly recommended

Should be available through Amazon

That one looks good, i would be fine with that. I'll have to see how i am going to pay for it on Amazon though, since i have no credit card.

I've been doing quite some gaming today and i don;t know how long a battery usually lasts with extensive mobile gaming, but this seemed impressive to me. Basically when i started gaming the battery was at 75% and about 4,5 hours later it was at 21%. I definitely could have made 5 hours. This with adaptive brightness enabled and brightness in the middle with WiFi on. Is this average or actually quite good?

Carn82

Sounds good to me! Regarding my daily use, a fully charged op3 easily gets me through the day, I guess it can last two days if I really tried and killed some apps like Facebook. Have had the op3 for three weeks now and no complaints. Snappy as hell, and pictures are pretty good. Do prefer srgb mode for the display, stock settings were too blueish.

Got the phone yesterday.

Few strange things. You can't adjust the notification sound volume anywhere. What the hell? Also Some notifications won't work. You know the number over the Facebook icon? No numbers.

Some small stuff like that. I guess they're going to patch them.

But damn the phone's quick and powerful. I like it!

Sounds good to me! Regarding my daily use, a fully charged op3 easily gets me through the day, I guess it can last two days if I really tried and killed some apps like Facebook. Have had the op3 for three weeks now and no complaints. Snappy as hell, and pictures are pretty good. Do prefer srgb mode for the display, stock settings were too blueish.

At the end of the day it all depends on how you use it. I am sure if i were to try to watch YouTube for hours on straight, that is not going to happen. It'll probably be similar to gaming on it. But i have to keep in mind that the battery was far from 100% yesterday when i started gaming, so you can easily game more than 5 hours on it. Quite good!

I do notice however if you just keep it idle it barely drains any battery, but as soon as you go do some stuff in it. Just browse through it before you know 100% has gone to 99, 98 and so on. But i guess that's normal.

Socreges

Banned
I do notice however if you just keep it idle it barely drains any battery, but as soon as you go do some stuff in it. Just browse through it before you know 100% has gone to 99, 98 and so on. But i guess that's normal.
Hmm. It's almost as if operating this phone requires energy. And, insodoing, depletes the battery. Or something. Are other phones like that? I wonder.

;)

I was wondering what all this SRGB stuff meant, so i enabled it. Personally i prefer the much more vivid screen, but i wonder...does SRGB save the battery more or something or is it only visual?

oti

Banned
It's got a lip around the edges so if you lay it on its face it sits on the case edge. If that's what you meant?

But what if it's in your pocket and then you put your keyes in there and the screen gets scratched?

Interestingly enough my order got dipatched today, the original estimation was the 27th. I'm not complaining.

ElNino

But what if it's in your pocket and then you put your keyes in there and the screen gets scratched?

Interestingly enough my order got dipatched today, the original estimation was the 27th. I'm not complaining.
Personally, I don't put my kids in my pocket with my phone... or not my personal phone at least, my work phone I couldn't care less about.

Rellik

Put your keys in a different pocket. I've always done that.

Socreges

Banned

You could get a wallet case then? Not sure what alternative you're imagining. FYI the OP3 comes with a screen protector and also uses gorilla glass.

Also you have two pockets. Keep your keys separate anyhow.

aBarreras

could i use this on mexico if i buy the us version? someone told me about a international unlocked version, but i didnt find anything

oti

Banned
You could get a wallet case then? Not sure what alternative you're imagining. FYI the OP3 comes with a screen protector and also uses gorilla glass.

Also you have two pockets. Keep your keys separate anyhow.

It does? Well then, I'll get a case for the back only then. Thanks.

I'm just really clumsy.

Jeffrey

its gorilla glass. should be fine from that, just make sure to not get sand in your pockets.

Otherwise get a glass screen protector. 'feels' like a normal screen but gives you added protection.

Benedict

Thinking about getting a OP3 to replace my current iPhone 5 that is not working properly.
But at the same time, my wife has the OPO and are having trouble with her phone.
When she tries to unlock the phone it goes dark and she has to unlock again, goes dark etc. Sometimes it's unresponsive as well.

things like this doesn't make it too enticing to get a OP3, when it comes to sending it for repairs and such.

Have the phones improved greatly regarding the build and any suggestions to fix her problems?
Any issues with the OP3 I should be aware of?

Or should we get two OP3...?

Moreche

I have been using this phone for the last few weeks coming from an iPhone 6S and I honestly can't fault it.
For £309 it's so much value for money.
The only thing I want is to turn off the vibrate when I double tap to wake and I'm loving the features such as LED notifications and Google keyboard.
But the build and screen are fantastic.

oti

Banned
Got it yesterday. It was supposed to arrive here on August 1st. :O

It's really nice. Love the screen, the hardware, LOVE that it already has a screen protector on the screen and everything is so snappy.

Hedrush

Just ordered myself the oneplus 3 the other day but eta is August 2nd. I've been an iPhone user since forever and I usually upgrade my phone every 2 years so have been on the S models since they released. For a while though I've been getting really bored of iOS and there's so many little things that annoy the life out of me. Also I love my customisations and the jailbreaking scene is all but dead now on iOS and stock just does nothing for me. So when I came across the oneplus 3 it just seemed like the perfect fit for me. For those who already own the phone how are you finding it?

Rellik

Just ordered myself the oneplus 3 the other day but eta is August 2nd. I've been an iPhone user since forever and I usually upgrade my phone every 2 years so have been on the S models since they released. For a while though I've been getting really bored of iOS and there's so many little things that annoy the life out of me. Also I love my customisations and the jailbreaking scene is all but dead now on iOS and stock just does nothing for me. So when I came across the oneplus 3 it just seemed like the perfect fit for me. For those who already own the phone how are you finding it?

If you were into the whole jailbreak scene and customizing your phone, then you're going to love rooted Android.

beat

Got it yesterday. It was supposed to arrive here on August 1st. :O

It's really nice. Love the screen, the hardware, LOVE that it already has a screen protector on the screen and everything is so snappy.

Is that screen protector more like the rigid tempered glass type protectors or more like a bendable sheet for scratch protection?

Hedrush

If you were into the whole jailbreak scene and customizing your phone, then you're going to love rooted Android.

Yeah I'm big on my customizations so I'm really excited about getting my new phone, my first ever android device. It has just been dispatched so I should have it in the next couple of days.

Is that screen protector more like the rigid tempered glass type protectors or more like a bendable sheet for scratch protection?
It's just normal screen protector, not tempered glass but it's pretty good quality I have my phone since launch and it hasn't have any scratch or nix or curl that usually happen with screen protector. I actually bought a tempered glass one but have not need to put it on yet.

I had to Google what that was but yes that's exactly the kind of thing I like. Are these things easy enough to install?

Modules are easy to install, it's all UI, but installing the xposed framework requires a custom recovery.

But it's totally worth it, some pretty good modules.

Xda-developers has all the info you'll need.

Socreges

Banned
Modules are easy to install, it's all UI, but installing the xposed framework requires a custom recovery.

But it's totally worth it, some pretty good modules.

Xda-developers has all the info you'll need.
Could you illustrate? I'm pretty happy with my OP3 at the moment but would like to know what's possible with Xposed modules.

Could you illustrate? I'm pretty happy with my OP3 at the moment but would like to know what's possible with Xposed modules.

Yeah, I am also interested.

However, I thought I was going to go nuts with my customizations given that I was moving from Windows Phone 8.1 to Android, but I haven't had any need to.

The only thing I've really done is go with a custom set of icons so every app has a uniform look to it from the home screen.

I've had the phone for about a month and I absolutely love it. It's got a good feel physically, the camera is a bit meh at a distance and in low light but it takes "natural" photos and looks great most of the time, and the battery / performance is buttery smooth.

I still need a DASH / VOOC charger for my car, that way I can charge the phone during my morning drive.

If anyone has any questions about day to day use, I'd be happy to chime in. But for $400 I'm more than happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom