• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 3 official: Snapdragon 820, 6GB of RAM, $399 with no invite necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FreedomOS is really good. Resurrection Remix isn't fully polished on the OP3 yet.
I installed it and it seems okay.

However, I can't use Android Pay because Google says it doesn't recognize the ROM, and substratum just gives me a black screen.

Can I just run the installer again without erasing everything? I want to disable EmojiOne. I shouldn't have enable them. I miss the default emoji. :(

Looks like mine has a messed up GPS. Seems to be a common issue? Anyone else have issues with it? Cutting out losing signal/being very inaccurate for my current position?

Setup an RMA, real bummer how long it will take to get a replacement.

spwolf

FreedomOS is really good. Resurrection Remix isn't fully polished on the OP3 yet.

BRR is great:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/development/rom-resurrection-remix-m-t3399960

FredomOS is just original rom with aroma installer for few addons and options.

B RR is awesome ROM with gazillion additions, works great, is fast and has good battery life... I get something like 154k on Antutu with it. Substratum works great, Xposed works great, heck everything works great... there is official release once per week.

With Action3, substratum, xposed, my O3 looks crazy good. EX Kernel makes it work good too. It is really nice.

My Iphone 5S broke last week so I was between this and another Iphone 5S. I decided to go ahead and move to andriod since I refuse to support apple after removing the headphone jack.

I need to start reading and learning so I can install Cyagonen mod on the Oneplus 3. Any suggestions on apps ? The only thing I really need replacing from the iphone is apple's podcast app, everything else I already use google and amazon.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Whats the usage need for that much ram in a phone?

Future-proofing mostly, and to make sure anything you do day to day doesn't need to be reloaded. Minimum 4GB should really be the standard on any higher end 6.0.1+ device as 3GB can cause lag and sluggishness due to regular reloading of apps if you multitask several higher RAM apps like modern games, Chrome and streaming apps throughout the day.

Moving to a Note 5 from a Note 4 is a night and day difference in overall smoothness and actual usability of the OS if you are actually utilizing the devices capabilities. Going into Winter and next year any high end device with a premium $399+ price that isn't at least 6GB is taking you for a ride to hopefully get you to overpay for their next product as soon as possible.

IE: The Note 7 should have been a 6GB device, but then there would be less of a need to get the 6GB Note 8 next year with paltry Intel levels of performance advancement YOY. "Wow, the UI so smooth now! The 6GB really brings all that bloatware into check!" :p

OnePlus phones are one of the underappreciated saviors of this industry trying to take the fuckery out of it. Unfortunately competition is still heavily hindered since these devices can't compete on the Verizon side of the pond.

"What?! completely open competition? Fuck that, we just want to make a ton of money, actually competing would require work, who wants to do that?"

The cell industry is vastly improved from 10-15 years ago, but it's still a massively overpriced industry that needs some real change for the betterment of everyone that is in the bottom 99% of this industry's food chain.

You know, I love my Nexus 6P and won't be letting go of it until it dies or at least 2-3 more years go by, but if the OnePlus series is still rocking it at that point I will be quite happy to pick one up. Maybe it'd be a OnePlus 6 at that point.

You know, I love my Nexus 6P and won't be letting go of it until it dies or at least 2-3 more years go by, but if the OnePlus series is still rocking it at that point I will be quite happy to pick one up. Maybe it'd be a OnePlus 6 at that point.

How much better do you think the new Nexus phone will be compared to the 6P; I cant decide. switching away from oneplus phones. Wandering if i should go 6p or wait for the nnexus.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
How much better do you think the new Nexus phone will be compared to the 6P; I cant decide. switching away from oneplus phones. Wandering if i should go 6p or wait for the nnexus.

Google is killing the nexus brand next month, they are releasing the google pixel line of phones.
Remember, the top line nexus/pixel phones will be more expensive than the Oneplus line, which will have either better specs or similar.

hateradio

BRR is great:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/onep...mix-m-t3399960

FredomOS is just original rom with aroma installer for few addons and options.

B RR is awesome ROM with gazillion additions, works great, is fast and has good battery life... I get something like 154k on Antutu with it. Substratum works great, Xposed works great, heck everything works great... there is official release once per week.

With Action3, substratum, xposed, my O3 looks crazy good. EX Kernel makes it work good too. It is really nice.
I kinda want to try it out now, but I don't want to lose all the stuff I've already installed.

:/

Donos

Looks like mine has a messed up GPS. Seems to be a common issue? Anyone else have issues with it? Cutting out losing signal/being very inaccurate for my current position?

Setup an RMA, real bummer how long it will take to get a replacement.

Have any of you guys had issued with the GPS being inconsistent or losing signal regularly?

So is this still bad or did you find a fix? Have to check google if this is a common issue. I'm pretty close of grabbing the OP3 but i'm still hoping for a miracle deal on the HTC 10 since it's a bit smaller (i have big hands but the Note 3 i'm using atm is a bit too much), has Microsd slot and the repair service would be faster. Don't want to fork out 120 -150 € more though...

Edit: After googling XDA and german Android forums it seems that some others have problems with GPS on the OP3 too but then again, you will find always a couple of people with the same problems when hundred thousand others have none. But GPS is very important for me...

Anyone with a OnePlus device had issues playing Minecraft Pocket Edition? I noticed when I got my OnePlus 3 that the back button opens up the chat instead of the options like on my previous phones. Pressing back again also won't back you out of chat, so you're stuck unless you close the app and start over again. It's really easy to do with those sensitive touch buttons. :( Any solutions?

hateradio

Anyone with a OnePlus device had issues playing Minecraft Pocket Edition? I noticed when I got my OnePlus 3 that the back button opens up the chat instead of the options like on my previous phones. Pressing back again also won't back you out of chat, so you're stuck unless you close the app and start over again. It's really easy to do with those sensitive touch buttons. :( Any solutions?
You can change the button configuration. Hope it helps.

Settings > (Device heading) > Buttons

Just got my phone in today and I cannot believe how fast it is. It's actually unbelievable. Now I'm just trying to discover all the little tricks and tips to make for ultimate ease of use

So is this still bad or did you find a fix? Have to check google if this is a common issue. I'm pretty close of grabbing the OP3 but i'm still hoping for a miracle deal on the HTC 10 since it's a bit smaller (i have big hands but the Note 3 i'm using atm is a bit too much), has Microsd slot and the repair service would be faster. Don't want to fork out 120 -150 € more though...

Edit: After googling XDA and german Android forums it seems that some others have problems with GPS on the OP3 too but then again, you will find always a couple of people with the same problems when hundred thousand others have none. But GPS is very important for me...

I sent it back for a replacement that should be here in a few days. I will let you know if it has the same issues.

Yaska

I had the GPS problems as well, I downloaded some GPS Test program from play store, used that to wipe the GPS cache and GPS has been working without major hitches ever since.

Donos

yeah, i saw various GPS "fixes" on XDA/android forums, so it's rather a software problem and not a hardware one i guess (hope)?. I'm really close to hitting the buy button now.

Dineren

Banned
Has anyone had any issues with bluetooth connectivity? It fails to connect automatically to my car pretty much every time. It works fine after the initial failure if I manually initiate the connection.

Birbo

Has anyone had any issues with bluetooth connectivity? It fails to connect automatically to my car pretty much every time. It works fine after the initial failure if I manually initiate the connection.

Can't speak to the OP3, but this is a huge issue for my wife's OP1. I've also had issue pairing my OP1 to my UP fitness band. Sad to hear they're still having bluetooth problems.

hateradio

Anyone using a custom ROM?

I noticed that Freedom OS has a new version, but it says that I need to update TWRP first.

So I downloaded the ZIP from the post and extract it to get the IMG file.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=68691560&postcount=56

I then go into fastboot mode, and use the command.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-19-oneplus3.img

Results:
Code:
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'recovery' (21288 KB)...
OKAY [  0.481s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  0.157s]
finished. total time: 0.642s

However, when I go into TWRP it says version 3.0.2-1, not 19. Does it not flash it correctly?

So..

Anyone else thinking of picking one of these up after seeing what the Pixels had to offer?

My main concern is camera speed (I've asked about it previously in this thread) - time to launch + focus + snap.

Will I be satisfied?

So..

Anyone else thinking of picking one of these up after seeing what the Pixels had to offer?

My main concern is camera speed (I've asked about it previously in this thread) - time to launch + focus + snap.

Will I be satisfied?

I bought my OP3 about a month back instead of waiting to see what Pixel would be. It seemed like a gamble at the time, but I think it paid off. Here in Ontario, there's like a $400 difference between these phones, and the One Plus has been great. I find the camera speed to be great, especially compared to my previous Moto X. It's able to catch my toddlers, at any rate. What sort of shooting do you do?

I bought my OP3 about a month back instead of waiting to see what Pixel would be. It seemed like a gamble at the time, but I think it paid off. Here in Ontario, there's like a $400 difference between these phones, and the One Plus has been great. I find the camera speed to be great, especially compared to my previous Moto X. It's able to catch my toddlers, at any rate. What sort of shooting do you do?

That's actually my primary concern is my kids. By the time I open up the camera on my Nexus 6 and try to focus, my daughter is off doing something else.

That's actually my primary concern is my kids. By the time I open up the camera on my Nexus 6 and try to focus, my daughter is off doing something else.

Getting the app open is pretty much instantaneous. There's also an option in settings so double pressing the power button will open the camera without having to unlock the phone which is nice. My kids move pretty fast so often there is some blur, but I just hold down the volume button for rapid-fire shots, and usually one of them will be usable.

exYle

Does anyone have any idea when the soft gold version will be restocked? Or how long restocks take in general?

ty_hot

how is the support for the OP2 and OPX? Will they get a 7.0 update?

Or is the community active enough so that we dont need to rely on OP?

kami_sama

I am thinking about getting the sandstone and karbon case. Either that or a leather dbrand skin. Anyone have thoughts about these?

I don't have a op3, but I have a op2 and sandstone is the best texture you could ask for, a pleasure for the hands, and makes it less slippery.

hateradio

I am thinking about getting the sandstone and karbon case. Either that or a leather dbrand skin. Anyone have thoughts about these?
I got the bamboo one (had it also for the OPO), and love how the phone feels in my hand. It's like the perfect match for my size. The only thing I don't like is that the flash isn't covered by the material, so it looks a bit awkward.

Other than that, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. It creaks and doesn't really close as snuggly as it should, but that's maybe because of a few drops.

$20 for shipping!

Only reason I've held off
It's wise to buy them when you get the phone.

However, I managed to get a used one from Amazon, with a typical shipping cost.

I got the bamboo one (had it also for the OPO), and love how the phone feels in my hand. It's like the perfect match for my size. The only thing I don't like is that the flash isn't covered by the material, so it looks a bit awkward.

Other than that, the quality leaves a lot to be desired. It creaks and doesn't really close as snuggly as it should, but that's maybe because of a few drops.

It's wise to buy them when you get the phone.

However, I managed to get a used one from Amazon, with a typical shipping cost.

I'm thinking maybe ebay? I'm more leaning towards the dbrand skin, but I just dropped my phone today and luckily had my regular TPU case on. I'm scared it'll happen again but with just the dbrand on it.

Finally got this in after placing the order two weeks ago. Holy shit this thing is great. I'm never paying $400+ for a "flagship" phone ever again.

Does the camera do that constant focusing thing that the OPO does when shooting video? Makes me crazy. If not, I might buy one now instead of waiting for next year...

Finally got this in after placing the order two weeks ago. Holy shit this thing is great. I'm never paying $400+ for a "flagship" phone ever again.

This has been my reaction as well. I suppose there is some compromise - coming from Nexus I'd prefer pure Android - but the difference is no way shape or form worth the premium. I've written this before, but I don't see how these Chinese phones don't completely take over in terms of market share.

willow ve

This has been my reaction as well. I suppose there is some compromise - coming from Nexus I'd prefer pure Android - but the difference is no way shape or form worth the premium. I've written this before, but I don't see how these Chinese phones don't completely take over in terms of market share.
It comes down to marketing + availability for the vast majority of smartphone buyers. In the USA - if it's not in a TV advertisement and also not readily available from your carrier the odds are against the brand.

No one that's ever asked me about my phone has ever heard of OnePlus. Probably at least 20 people. They just don't have any mainstream reach.

hateradio

So I cracked my phone a few weeks ago, and had to get it replaced. Cost me $100. :/

Got a $13 case from amazon, but it feels a bit flimsy. Hope I don't drop it again.

Also, my battery kinda sucks. Can hold just a day... OP1 could last a few.

Starviper

Had my OP3 for a good while now and still really liking the device. Only issue is like some others have mentioned where the GPS tracking cuts out once in awhile. Easily fixed by restarting Google Maps.

hateradio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom