• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

already on my PSP if I want to play games bought on UK PSN I have to be logged in with that account. Which is a shame, because my US PSN account has my preferred username and friends lists. So on the PS3 I log in with my US account but play my UK games. Couldn't do that on the PSP and won't be able to do that on the Vita either.

'factory reset' sounds more extreme but at least the physical cards are region free so just buy digital from your local region, and physical for imports.

Wow! It's so simple why didn't all of us think of that! It'll be the same price to import to right? And they certainly would never have digital only content for the Vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hold on..

I understand being able to only have one active Vita account. And the store accessed from the Vita will be that region PSN account (e.g. UK). But..

if its syncing from a PS3, if you log in with your US PSN account, whats to stop you syncing all your Vita/PSP games across? The PS3 considers them the same right?

So maybe using the PS3 you can still download Vita games through your various accounts, and you just need to make sure you're logged in with the same account as the Vita when you sync?

So might not affect everything, just purchases made directly on the Vita?

Yep. PSN can't evolve until Sony gets their heads out of their asses and stops with this SCEJ/SCEA/SCEE region bullshit.

The fact that we still can't gift anything to friends on the stores is laughable.

Adding a simple feature like cross-region gifting would solve this entire problem in one move, as well as make the PSN a far better service. That way, we'd still have three different accounts but all the actual content would just be on a single one.

If Sony wants to know why they haven't turned a profit on the PSN, maybe they should look at their own efforts. I have no idea how they can justify their complacency when Valve is continually showing how you run an digital game store.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow! It's so simple why didn't all of us think of that! It'll be the same price to import to right? And they certainly would never have digital only content for the Vita.

I'm detecting sarcastic overtones, but aren't we usually moaning about Digital prices being higher than retail? And retail is familiar to lots of people. Buying digital from PSN can be a pain in the arse with credit card checks etc, leaving you open to high priced import PSN cards.

At least its an option - on the 3DS you're full fat fucked.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Buy physical, you'll still be able to "gameshare" freely.

And what the fuck is up with your attitude?

I know, but there'll still be some content that will be digital-only.

And I get upset when fanboys stand up for ridiculous shit like this.

daffy

Banned
Why are there people here that swore off the vita in the memory card thread making frownyfaces? I mean you could at least try to have some merit.

I'm detecting sarcastic overtones, but aren't we usually moaning about Digital prices being higher than retail? And retail is familiar to lots of people. Buying digital from PSN can be a pain in the arse with credit card checks etc, leaving you open to high priced import PSN cards.

At least its an option - on the 3DS you're full fat fucked.

Yes... More expensive in comparison to physically buying it in that region. The markup/shipping companies charge is usually more than the bloated digital prices in my experience. Again, whether the 3DS is better or worse has no bearing on this thread at all.

If you like the games on Vita, get a Vita. If you don't, don't.

Why do people have to be so attached to their shitty companies?

The double-standards bug the hell out of me too. 3DS is region locked, but since it is made by Nintendo, it's okay. Vita is region free, but now since you can only have one account on a system, it's a piece of shit. Okay.
how long have you been on NeoGAF?

3DS being region locked was a HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEEEE shitstorm

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes... More expensive in comparison to physically buying it in that region. The markup/shipping companies charge is usually more than the bloated digital prices in my experience. Again, whether the 3DS is better or worse has no bearing on this thread at all.

I think it depends where you import from. I find US/CDN physical game imports pretty good, but JPN prices can be off-putting

how long have you been on NeoGAF?

3DS being region locked was a HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEEEE shitstorm

this. It's the main reason I still don't own a 3DS. Region locking is a big deal, no matter who does it. I hate microsoft for region locking, I hate nintendo for region locking, so I go to Sony for region-free items. This story does not help that hope though..

I think it depends where you import from. I find US/CDN physical game imports pretty good, but JPN prices can be off-putting

Ya, well I go the opposite way so I'm not sure. That's also only because whether your in europe or japan you currently have the benefit of a stronger currency. When I have to ship to the US those increases in price become much much more noticeable than if you're going the other way. Buying physical copies usually sucks a lot more than digital, especially with the sometimes lengthy shipping times.

Are Nintendo/Sony even interested in selling me a handheld this generation?

Not demonstrably.

Yep. The 3DS and Vita have both suffered from this drip-feed of negative information on the run up to launch. Like you say, both companies want to stress on the positives of the product, but it's the little (yet important) things that put me off sometimes.

The thing that irritates me the most is that it's basically all unforced errors. When there are problems that are basically just results of real, structural challenges (like Vita's 3G -- it's a huge waste of money to me, but that's just because secondary-device 3G is always a waste of money, hardly Sony's fault here) I can be more forgiving. These recent revelations with the Vita, or the litany of dumbness with 3DS (region-lock, system and game pricing, clusterfuck online system) are all things that could easily be avoided and which an even moderately forward-thinking perspective would recognize as penny-wise-pound-foolish decisions in a market where handhelds are under attack from every side.

JudgeN

Adding a simple feature like cross-region gifting would solve this entire problem in one move, as well as make the PSN a far better service. That way, we'd still have three different accounts but all the actual content would just be on a single one.

If Sony wants to know why they haven't turned a profit on the PSN, maybe they should look at their own efforts. I have no idea how they can justify their complacency when Valve is continually showing how you run an digital game store.

Gifting is nice but its way more cumbersome then just making it like the ps3 and supporting multiple accounts. I know people won't like this but they should also get rid of currency system and replace it with space money. The combine every store into one and give us a tab for each region. We pay with space bucks and can buy global content.

Has it been comfired that the vita can only play digital games from the region the account is tied too? I have dark mist that I got from Hong Kong store that I want to play on a US vita account.

angelfly

Wow that's worse than the way PSP handled it. If I do get one I won't really have to worry since my main PSN account is JP region and I've only ever purchased JP PSP games on PSN. It's still bullshit though.

As is your right .... but an over reaction if I ever saw one.

This news about the account will not impact my ability to play and enjoy games.

p.s. How many accounts where people expecting to be able to have on the machine?

at least as many as were on PS3, what's that, 16?

Vita doesn't have a removable battery either, after all the Pandora battery stuff I can't imagine Sony changing their mind.

i don't understand this kind of logic.

the problem wasn't them having a removable battery. the problem was them having a way to boot into service mode that people figured out. it just happened to use information stored on the battery to do so.

Apath

I'm dumbfounded. Why would they do this? Do they really think it will somehow increase sales or add value to the device? I mean, I hardly ever sign out of my PSN account on my PSP, but to arbitrarily restrict people to the point of requiring a reformat to use a different account is bonkers.

It's like Sony created the perfect handheld and is now trying to do their very best to absolutely destroy all hype for it before launch.

besiktas1

That's actually really important for me... This plus the memory card thing where UK prices makes me nervous... makes me rethink a before no brainer...

the problem wasn't them having a removable battery. the problem was them having a way to boot into service mode that people figured out. it just happened to use information stored on the battery to do so.

It seems like there's a lot of confusion about this. People were listing the proprietary memory format as being an anti-piracy mechanism for the same reason even though neither physical part (battery and memory stick) has anything to do with the Pandora thing.

FWIW, I don't really consider the non-removable battery in the Vita to be a problem, shrug.

Stay classy Sony:

Sony guy A: Hey, how about all these people that have multiple accounts, because we allowed that with PS3?

Song guy B: F*** them.

I'm from Poland, my main account is US-based. GG Sony. Problem would be solved if you coould pay for PSN purchases with different-region PSN cards, CC, PayPal, etc., but no - it's way better living in 20th century.

Takao

Banned
I think expecting as many accounts as PS3 is a bit out there. As I mentioned previously in this thread, PSP got the PlayStation Store after the PS3 had launched, and it only supported 1 account at a time. That didn't seem like a technical limitation.

I think this is less of an issue than the memory cards, but obviously this will not please some.

It seems like there's a lot of confusion about this. People were listing the proprietary memory format as being an anti-piracy mechanism for the same reason even though neither physical part (battery and memory stick) has anything to do with the Pandora thing.

But all the other exploits (tiff loader, half bit loader, several CFW, hot shot save loader, patapon demo loader, GTA Liberty City loader, Lumines loader) rely in the user being able to copy a eboot file from the PC to the memory card, and then use the exploit in order to run that exploit.

Having a memory card that is not easy to access (and, at least, require to buy an adapter that will only be sold in the black market) make piracy more difficult.

Sinthetic

I am playing MK7 and I don't understand why they didn't include multiple profiles on that... This Vita single profile sounds like a mistake.

Kyoufu

Not 100% legal. In order to enter into US PSN you need to give fake information about where you live. Is not illegal, but in a grey area.

This is false. You can choose not to provide any information when creating an account.

I think expecting as many accounts as PS3 is a bit out there. As I mentioned previously in this thread, PSP got the PlayStation Store after the PS3 had launched, and it only supported 1 account at a time. That didn't seem like a technical limitation.

I think this is less of an issue than the memory cards, but obviously this will not please some.

For those that this affects, it is a much bigger issue than overpriced memory cards.

The thing that irritates me the most is that it's basically all unforced errors. When there are problems that are basically just results of real, structural challenges (like Vita's 3G -- it's a huge waste of money to me, but that's just because secondary-device 3G is always a waste of money, hardly Sony's fault here) I can be more forgiving. These recent revelations with the Vita, or the litany of dumbness with 3DS (region-lock, system and game pricing, clusterfuck online system) are all things that could easily be avoided and which an even moderately forward-thinking perspective would recognize as penny-wise-pound-foolish decisions in a market where handhelds are under attack from every side.
Nicely said. Nintendo seems to be getting the picture and they've already started making corrections to the 3DS situation and I hope Sony realizes just as quickly because I'd really like to get a Vita. Right now, aside from the graphical differences, the PSP is feeling like a better purchase.

I think that there's still a market out there for dedicated gaming handhelds but Nintendo and Sony both need to understand that their products are not competing in a vacuum. There are basic features and services (open media formats, competent online services, etc.) that are just expected in today's day and age and anything other than that baseline is going to be met with disappointment from their consumers.

angelfly

I was just thinking what makes this whole thing worse is the online pass stuff. Granted they haven't started doing it in Japan yet but if I use my main PSN account (JP region) any game I buy here in the US would be locked out of anything behind an online pass.

sublimit

Banned
Awful news.I want to play my Japanese and NA demos.The EU store is always the worse out of the three.

Sony fix that shit or else.

Bebpo

Banned
What's silly is that multiple accounts helps them have their "we have xxx million accounts active" pr statements. This only hurts them.

$380 for a device with 32GB of storage space and digital region locking.

r95p6.gif

But all the other exploits (tiff loader, half bit loader, several CFW, hot shot save loader, patapon demo loader, GTA Liberty City loader, Lumines loader) rely in the user being able to copy a eboot file from the PC to the memory card, and then use the exploit in order to run that exploit.

You can do all those just by copying a file onto the PSP memory stick via USB connection, though, you don't actually need to read the card directly on a computer.

If piracy was the primary concern here, it wouldn't actually be that hard to create a system that used SDHC but wasn't vulnerable to attacks like this: encrypt the filesystem (so you can't read the card on a PC after it's formatted for Vita) and don't allow file transfers over USB.

Regardless, the real way you avoid systems getting cracked via buffer overflow file attacks is by making an OS that's resistant to such attacks (as Sony did with the PS3.) Once you do that, letting people have arbitrary filesystem access really isn't a problem. (I think it's instructive that even Nintendo are using SD on all their systems now, and they're the kings of locked-down proprietary bullshit.)

You can do all those just by copying a file onto the PSP memory stick via USB connection, though, you don't actually need to read the card directly on a computer.

But you assume that you'll be able to copy files straight to Vita without going through the filter of Media Go or at least PS3, that is a more controlled enviroment.

Tip, is not going to happen, at least not for the non-multimedia files.

This is about digital games, so maybe you shouldn't apply your false equivalencies here before telling someone to "fuck off"

This is the same way the PSP work so no surprises.

Just like the psp, whats the big deal. It's a personal entertainment unit not a Home entertainment unit.

I know that I only need one account, just like the PSP.

And with the Activation Management, it'll be easy to switch to any accounts.

Wrong on all accounts. The old way, you kept the content and switched the account to be able to play them. Not a big hassle.

This time, it sounds like you have format the system (delete everything) then use the new account. In simple terms, you have to re-add the games and DLC every time you want to play. Seeing as how I'm not next to wifi 24/7 (and that would take a while to download) or near my PS3 every second, this is extremely anti consumer and kills the hopes for many who wanted to use digital content with different accounts. I am going to import games but this sucks for my backlog of digital content I wanted to use (easily) with my Vita.

TripOpt55

I was hoping to share this with my brother and that we could use our own accounts for trophy/friend purposes. Kind of a bummer.

Nicely said. Nintendo seems to be getting the picture and they've already started making corrections to the 3DS situation and I hope Sony realizes just as quickly because I'd really like to get a Vita.

The good thing about the Vita situation is that literally nothing wrong with it now is something that can't be fixed down the line. Multiple accounts can probably get patched in via a future firmware update. Memory card pricing can be dropped. I guess the TV Out can't be fixed on the current hardware but they can easily add it on the next revision once the PS4 is coming out. Nothing here is a logistical challenge on the level of the second-analog issue for 3DS or a core system flaw on the level of 3DS' lack of user accounts.

The bad thing is that with very few exceptions (I guess Microsoft did eventually release a unit with built-in wifi) these things still don't generally get fixed even though they could be.

Takao

Banned
But you assume that you'll be able to copy files straight to Vita without going through the filter of Media Go or at least PS3, that is a more controlled enviroment.

Tip, is not going to happen, at least not for the non-multimedia files.

Yep, it seems you'll actually be doing all the PC-to-Vita stuff with the Vita, rather than the PC.

For those that this affects, it is a much bigger issue than overpriced memory cards.

The overpriced memory cards more or less affects everyone who buys a Vita. This probably affects less than 1 million.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just curious.

Is it illegal to import digital content or physical game? Or is it more of grey market?
From what I remember, it technically is illegal. The small box that usually says things like "For sale only in Japan" gives the company enough power that if they really wanted to, they can sue for unauthorized use of copyrighted material or intellectual property. It also depends on your nation's laws, but this is how Sony got Lik-Sang shut down.

iceatcs

Wrong on all accounts. The old way, you kept the content and switched the account to be able to play them. Not a big hassle.

This time, it sounds like you have format the system (delete everything) then use the new account. In simple terms, you have to re-add the games and DLC every time you want to play. Seeing as how I'm not next to wifi 24/7 (and that would take a while to download) or near my PS3 every second, this is extremely anti consumer and kills the hopes for many who wanted to use digital content with different accounts. I am going to import games but this sucks for my backlog of digital content I wanted to use (easily) with my Vita.

Don't forget there is a memory card can be used.
Depend what it going to be. Maybe there will be force to format the Memory card if it activated under different account. Then only way is get two memory card with 2 different accounts.
I don't think there will going to lose of the important datas apart the clock, time, network setting etc... since all the trophies sync to PSN, or DLC, Savedata etc are in MC or game cart.

This time, it sounds like you have format the system (delete everything) then use the new account. In simple terms, you have to re-add the games and DLC every time you want to play.

Not really. Because the games and DLC are in an external memory card (that you can even take out to get sure that format factory mess anything in there). But, still, is shit because you'll lose the internet favorites and cookies, loaded theme, wifi passwords, etc.

Again, these are independent choices. I'd certainly prefer both standardized memory and direct filesystem access (PSP spoiled me here) but if I can only have one I'd rather give up the latter.

This time, it sounds like you have format the system (delete everything) then use the new account. In simple terms, you have to re-add the games and DLC every time you want to play.

You won't have to actually delete your downloaded content, just your system settings. You'll have to reconfigure wifi and stuff like that, but your actual files will be fine.

Takao

Banned
reading comprehension what is it

I understood what you wrote. Yeah, for the dude in Australia who can't download Mortal Kombat Vitality DLC this will suck more than the memory cards, but that's a much smaller number than those who have to deal with the memory cards.

BTW, is there anyone besides me who would actually be affected by this as a result of sharing a device with someone (rather than wanting to digitally import)?

One of the reasons why I will never back an all digital future.
Physical region free products FTW.

Pretty much. Physical region free beats digital any day of the week for me.

And I'm with gofreak on this entire matter, I don't know why some of you guys are so upset with his (our) opinion.

Top Bottom