• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

Takuya

Banned
Keeping my 2 pre-orders. Not a deal breaker at all. Portable device, so, not really sharing it with anyone (let alone let them have an account on it), and don't really plan on buying content from others stores.

Again, these are independent choices. I'd certainly prefer both standardized memory and direct filesystem access (PSP spoiled me here) but if I can only have one I'd rather give up the latter

Is not independent. There is no way of avoiding direct filesystem access if you have a easily editable memory card where you can simply dump a hack from the PC. And, of course, there is no sense in propietary cards if you allow to copy any file from the PC into Vita. Both measures are necessary, they don't have any sense if you only took one.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
BTW, is there anyone besides me who would actually be affected by this as a result of sharing a device with someone (rather than wanting to digitally import)?

In a way. My problem with this basically deviates from the fact that my brother and I have and use different PSN IDs.

Although I'd love to able to digitally import JP games too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wait wasn't this the same for PSP? (You could only tie it to and play games off of one account at a time)

Sorry if this was brought up earlier in the thread but I didn't want to read it if it was a bunch of overreactions

This is kind of a good thing, I was planning on buying a 32GB memory card each for US, EU & JP but now I don't need to, so the PSVITA has suddenly become a lot cheaper for me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just sounds like it'll be a little more annoying to switch accounts. Oh well.
All my data is saved on the memory card so I won't be truly formatting and losing everything each time.

I'll still be using both my Japanese and US accounts with my Vita.

The only shame is that I can't earn trophies from JPN PSN content on my US account, which was something I had feared when the system was announced.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Awful news. I guess this will be the same for the PS4.

I doubt it. PS Vita like other portables, is by design intended for (in ideal scenarios) multiple units per household. But ps4 will be family oriented.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was planning to share it with my brother.

How does it affect that though? Unless you and your brother really care to keep trophies separate or something

I don't even have separate PSN accounts on my PS3 for family members. We all just play whatever games we want on the main one

iceatcs

$380 for a device with 32GB of storage space and digital account-region locking.

r95p6.gif

Fixed

I'm sure you can play US Vita on Japanese digital content under Japanese account.

androvsky

BTW, is there anyone besides me who would actually be affected by this as a result of sharing a device with someone (rather than wanting to digitally import)?

My wife and I both are looking forward to the Vita, and we both have our own trophies and accounts (and we're sure as hell not buying two of them). It didn't matter on the PSP, since no trophies, and we didn't seriously play imports very often (mainly demos that didn't need activation).

However, if one of the things the Vita can back up is whatever gets wiped when changing accounts, I don't see this as being a big problem. We generally don't go back and forth a lot on portable systems anyway. My wife only plays games she intends to platinum or 100% on her account.

Too bad she decided to try Wipeout HD on her account before implementing that policy, now I get to try and get the platinum again for her :(

Takao

Banned
Wait wasn't this the same for PSP? (You could only tie it to and play games off of one account at a time)

Sorry if this was brought up earlier in the thread but I didn't want to read it if it was a bunch of overreactions

The difference here is that rather than deactivating content like you would on PSP, you're going to have to reset things to default settings before activating a different account.

Fixed

I'm sure you can play US Vita on Japanese digital content under Japanese account.

Did you just enter the topic without reading the title... or anything but my own post?

Yes, you can play Japanese digital content on a Japanese account. You can not play US digital content on a Japanese account. You can not play Japanese digital content on a US account. You can not have more than one account.

Therefor, the device has digital content region locking.

Yeah, the system is still very much region free.
You can play any content on it with the appropriate regional account, which are always free.

But they can not be changed. You are locked to the digital content of the region of the account you first use, unless you want to format, redownload, and reinstall games every time you want a game of a different region.

Zoe

How does it affect that though? Unless you and your brother really care to keep trophies separate or something

I don't even have separate PSN accounts on my PS3 for family members. We all just play whatever games we want on the main one

People do care though. 20 years ago I didn't mind sharing the Gameboy with my brother, but now individual accounts are the norm.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Doesn't affect me, I only have multiple PSN accounts in my PS3 just go get early demos that aren't released over here a the same point, and I barely download them anyway these days.

While I imagine this is a problem for a number f people on here, I can't see it being a big problem for the general masses, and isn't something that can't be fixed at a later point anyway.

MightyKAC

I'm in that same boat as well. All of my imports were going to be physical anyway but now it means that my gf won't be able to use her account on my vita to play games on this and would have to buy her own Vita. That's the thing that irks my the most about this decision. It seems totally greed based (I.e. no system sharing you each have to buy you own). I'd imagine this sucks also for people with children who want to play on there own separate accounts (for trophies and such)on the same vita but can't unless they have their own 300$+ device.

iceatcs

Did you just enter the topic without reading the title... or anything but my own post?

Yes, you can play Japanese digital content on a Japanese account. You can not play US digital content on a Japanese account. You can not play Japanese digital content on a US account. You can not have more than one account.

Therefor, the device has digital content region locking.

To me, it mean you cannot play Japanese digital content on US PS Vita.

regional account locking is better wording.

But they can not be changed. You are locked to the digital content of the region of the account you first use, unless you want to format, redownload, and reinstall games every time you want a game of a different region.
No no no, all the download stuff will be on the memory card.

Jigsaw

Banned
most of my ps1 classics are from the us store,while my main account is eu,so this sucks

so uhm square,could you release xenogears and chrono cross on european psn so i can buy them again? -____-'

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The games downloaded are on the memory card.
They won't get formatted.

This is just a system format of the settings which I don't give a shit about other than having to enter my wifi pw again possibly.

Kyoufu

I'm still confused why digital content won't work on accounts that aren't tied to it.

Since physical games of any region work on any region account, then why is it different for digital content?

PS3 has no trouble with this, so why does PSP and PSV?

The games downloaded are on the memory card.
They won't get formatted.

This is just a system format of the settings which I don't give a shit about other than having to enter my wifi pw again possibly.

It'll still probably take a good chunk of time to format, and you'll have to do this every time you want to switch regions.

It's an entirely indefensible move on Sony's part.

androvsky

I wonder how much of the system resetting is due to the regional 3G setup Sony demoed at TGS when the system was started fresh.

The good thing about the Vita situation is that literally nothing wrong with it now is something that can't be fixed down the line. Multiple accounts can probably get patched in via a future firmware update. Memory card pricing can be dropped. I guess the TV Out can't be fixed on the current hardware but they can easily add it on the next revision once the PS4 is coming out. Nothing here is a logistical challenge on the level of the second-analog issue for 3DS or a core system flaw on the level of 3DS' lack of user accounts.

The bad thing is that with very few exceptions (I guess Microsoft did eventually release a unit with built-in wifi) these things still don't generally get fixed even though they could be.
Nintendo's mistakes with the 3DS are mostly mindnumbing, especially when you consider how much time they had to plan the DS successor. It still seems to me that virtually everything that they've handled badly so far can be addressed with firmware updates and hardware revisions (not sure about that 2nd analog though). This region locking thing actually started with the DSi but there were so few DSi specific games very few people seemed to notice the impact. I have a feeling that it's a dead issue going forward but I'd be shocked if an account based online system and other improvements weren't already be planned for reveal at E3.

Sony's issues with Vita however, at least right now, feel like they're steming from Sony's desire to correct what they saw as obstacles to the PSP being the cash cow for them that it could have been. Whereas Nintendo's 3DS stumbles have felt mostly like short-sightedness or ignorance Sony's have all felt like efforts to wring extra profitability out of the Vita. I don't fault them for this, I mean they're a business afterall, but it's hard to imagine that the PSP would have been as successful as it is if they put it on the market with all these inconvenient features.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, hopefully you can keep backups of the system and switch between those. That would still be terrible, but better than having to deal with everything manually.

Sucks because I've seriously been looking into learning Japanese almost exclusively for games. Nintendo's backwards region locking policy is bad enough, but this kind of stuff being thrown on top isn't encouraging at all.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm still confused why digital content won't work on accounts that aren't tied to it.

Since physical games of any region work on any region account, then why is it different for digital content?

PS3 has no trouble with this, so why does PSP and PSV?
Because the other accounts were still stored on the system.
If I were to delete my JPN account on my PS3, I wouldn't be able to play the JPN PSN games I bought on my US account anymore.

Takao

Banned
It'll still probably take a good chunk of time to format, and you'll have to do this every time you want to switch regions.

It doesn't take very long to format a PSP's memory card, so I doubt it'll take very long to format some stored text on Vita.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

It's just system settings, not a firmware reset. It's not going to take a long time.

It's just slightly annoying, but hardly a deal breaker.
I'm not going to be constantly switching, only when there's actually a game on the JPN PSN store I want to play that isn't coming to America.

Kyoufu

Because the other accounts were still stored on the system.
If I were to delete my JPN account on my PS3, I wouldn't be able to play the JPN PSN games I bought on my US account anymore.

Good point. They could just let us store extra accounts on memory cards, but for some reason aren't willing to...

Brazil

Maybe... Maybe the content won't be locked to the account that purchased it.

Believe.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Good point. They could just let us store extra accounts on memory cards, but for some reason aren't willing to...
Yeah, ideally, it would have been like PS3 and you could log into whatever account you wanted and the system had various account profiles. (not on the memory cards, but the OS, just like PS3)

Oh well.
I'm still going to be able to enjoy whatever content I like.

Aeana

That would make it awfully easy to sell accounts...

Sell accounts?
You could sell an account by giving someone the username and password too. That's how it's always been done traditionally, and doesn't even require mailing a memory card.

Zoe

Sell accounts?
You could sell an account by giving someone the username and password too. That's how it's always been done traditionally, and doesn't even require mailing a memory card.

But what if the seller is offering completed game saves as well?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ok, I don't know why we're talking about accounts on memory cards, lol.
Accounts/profiles are always stored on the OS.

Emitan

If I hadn't already canceled my preorder I would be. For the price of a Vita, a memory card, and a game I could buy 8 3DS games. I'm perfectly willing to wait Sony out on their decisions since as Charlequin pointed out, most of them can be solved by price drops or firmware updates. And considering I want more than 8 3DS games next year...

oh no.

my PERSONAL handheld gaming device cant have more than 1 account.......cmon son.
kids touch my vita and im karate kicking the shit out of them. real talk.

This just kills the Vita vor me :(

The account system on PSP was bad and I was 100% sure that Sony would fix it but this is even worse. Hell, I already created an US account and bought PS1 games just to put them on my Vita :(

I'm sad :(
I think it's more of a matter of them doing it this way:
-With a game console that sits at a TV, it's likely to be used by multiple people in a household, which is why you can have several accounts.

-With a handheld, it's considered to be more of a personal thing which only one person is using....that is why there's access to just one account, unless you want to re-activate. I have two PSPs where I strictly have one for my JP account, another for my US account. Like a household may have one PS3 console for the family, and 3 PSPs for each person (with their own PSN account).

Sony themselves doesn't technically want people creating different region accounts, but they aren't going to admit that. They look at it as people having just one account for their own content (in their own region)..

iceatcs

Ok. I think I'm not defence anything. It is bit weird when you are try to spin to negative after I explained although.

Brazil

Sony themselves doesn't technically want people creating different region accounts, but they aren't going to admit that. They look at it as people having just one account for their own content (in their own region)..

I don't really understand this. I mean, they get our money either way.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Darn. :/

I thought sony was going to lead the way with region free portables and account based OS like the consoles. ...

shame.

Top Bottom