• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most DISAPPOINTING games ever!

I'm torn. On the one hand I had thought this game was going to be something a bit different, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having a ton of fun. The story and the characters are all top tier, most of the missions are great and there are a lot of them, and the scope and depth of the city is impressive. I only wished I had the willpower to wait a year until the game was patched to hell and back, plus some additional DLC to flesh the city out --- but I have no doubts I will be picking this up again in the future.

Phase

lawbreakers-game.jpg

Tribes-Ascend_wallpaper_02.jpg

Hoppa

I'm about 30-40 hours in and from level 16 until now (level 30) I've just been doing side missions and gigs. Really enjoying the game so far, the legendary quickhacks have just made the game piss easy - especially with Ping allowing quickhacks through walls. I feel like the bars and food stores were a waste of developmental time, I haven't used a food consumable once

SnapShot

It's good I don't get hyped to games anymore, saves me from being disappointed.

So glad I didn't follow this game closely before its release, so I can enjoy it for what it is than what it could have been.

It's good I don't get hyped to games anymore, saves me from being disappointed.

So glad I didn't follow this game closely before its release, so I can enjoy it for what it is than what it could have been.
Just have to be realistic about things and not listen to hack Youtubers using Reddit posts as official sources. I've been a fan since The Witcher 1, followed every piece of official media and it still surpassed my expectations.

But, you are right. On reveal, I kind of groaned at Sucker Punch making a Samurai game and only bought it because I was bored during the summer. Oh my, Ghost of Tsushima is a fantastic game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
CP2077 is a weird beast. I tempered my expectations knowing that it wouldn't be god's gift to gamers, yet I was still let down, yet it's still my top 3 2021. It's a beautiful disaster and a butchered masterpiece, all the potential was there.

I have a feeling I'm gonna revisit it a year after launch and play through again with a different lifepath, seeing what they fixed, picking up any side quests I missed, and any new ones added.

j0hnnix

I will pray to who ever is listening that this is 100% real
while I did enjoy the game and current story all the missing/cut content make it even more entertaining , sad the bent over for shareholders. Hopefully this is true, I will definitely play this all over again.

TastyPastry

it's a good game but for sure disappointing in many ways. i wonder how much they are able to fix. if they want the game to keep selling especially on next gen and the expansions to do good they better put the entire team back to work on the game. if they just do the minimum and abandon the game for witcher 4 cdpr is dead to me.

Button

Banned
Finally finished the game on PS4 Pro. Yeah... For me it's easily the biggest disappointment I've had. I can't believe the people who say "just play on PC". Is that going to bring back all the cut content? The obvious design flaws in the world? No. They needed at least two more years, by then they could have dropped the last-gen consoles. I don't know, I'm ready to completely forget this game. It will never rank among the best video games, that I am sure of. Time will not be kind to it.

I'm mixed on it. It's not nearly as ambitious as I had hoped, the city itself is nice to look at but I don't feel like I'm a part of the world due to CP2077 being designed as a "follow the yellow line" game, and it could use several months of polish. It feels like a game that never should have come out in 2020 and never should have come out on last-gen consoles.

But at the same time, I'm having a really fun time going around and doing the side jobs. This is what I've found to be the real meat of the game. In Witcher 3, I wanted to see and do everything available on the map, but it was mostly for lore reasons. Here, I'm enjoying playing Cyberpunk a lot more than I enjoyed playing Witcher, even if the writing in CP2077 isn't nearly at the same level.

Ultimately, I would have liked to have seen a smaller world with a lot more depth to it. I gripe about this with most open-world games, that they're too big and thus they're shallow as a result, and I'd hoped this game would be better in that regard. So there are definitely aspects of the game that have left me disappointed, but I'm still having more fun playing it than I have most 2020 games, in spite of the myriad (mostly minor) bugs. I think a polished, patched version that fixes a lot of the glitches and technical issues and restores some cut content could eventually be regarded as a great game. But in the end too many things core to the game's open-world game design feel very safe and dated, and consequently it will never be the groundbreaking futuristic RPG that it could have been. I still really like what's there, though.

Isendurl

Finally finished the game on PS4 Pro. Yeah... For me it's easily the biggest disappointment I've had. I can't believe the people who say "just play on PC". Is that going to bring back all the cut content? The obvious design flaws in the world? No. They needed at least two more years, by then they could have dropped the last-gen consoles. I don't know, I'm ready to completely forget this game. It will never rank among the best video games, that I am sure of. Time will not be kind to it.

I still remember people saying this about the Witcher 3. Its kind of funny looking back now actually, because I remember having almost the same discussions about it as people now have about Cyberpunk. I guess time really is a loop. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Interfectum

I still remember people saying this about the Witcher 3. Its kind of funny looking back now actually, because I remember having almost the same discussions about it as people now have for Cyberpunk. I guess time really is a loop. :pie_thinking:
No one said this shit. The opinions on combat were definitely mixed but Witcher 3 was universally praised literally everywhere. Don't try to rewrite history to fit your narrative.

Raven117

Wonder if they are on to Witcher 4. Because their next game is going to be the game that makes or breaks them.

Have to disagree. Video is very well done and points and many issues. It's extremely well edited. That title is a big much, but overall a good video.

Nope. He makes lots of flagrantly false points and uses language that makes things sound worse than they are. He also doesn't touch on anything that really matters about the game. He claims he's going to address the core of the game but never actually does besides one off comments.

iorek21

Almost a week after finishing it, I thought it was an ok game at best, even if you forget about crashes and bugs.

Didn't enjoy it as much as most of the other big releases in 2020: DOOM Eternal, FF7, TLOU2, GoT, P5 Royal, DeS, Miles Morales, Sackboy etc.

Enjoyed it more than RE3, at least...

Mr_Potato

Banned
I was a bit disappointed too coming from The Witcher 3, but I think it's still a great game despite the obvious shortcomings and the fact it was clearly released unfinished.

I liked the way you interacted with Johnny during the story. And most of the characters and dialogues were well written.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Cut content was thanks to low spec consoles.

Fuck it, game is goty material and my personal favorite for 2020 and maybe 2021. PC obviously.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nope. He makes lots of flagrantly false points and uses language that makes things sound worse than they are. He also doesn't touch on anything that really matters about the game. He claims he's going to address the core of the game but never actually does besides one off comments.

Nope. He goes into detail several times for major elements of game. Saying he doesn't touch on anything important is pure bullshit.

Tranquil

Game was average with terrible A.I. and even worse techno music. Still had an all right time playing though.

Magog.

Banned
They cut all the origin story content down to 10 minute intros that meant nothing to the main story. The NPC, cop, and driving AI is a joke. I never buy used but I will make an exception for this game in a year when the bugs are sorted out. The devs don't deserve my money after all the lies they spread about the game before it came out.

Isendurl

No one said this shit. The opinions on combat were definitely mixed but Witcher 3 was universally praised literally everywhere. Don't try to rewrite history to fit your narrative.

Yeah no one at all:

- https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...-game-is-a-bad-hot-mess-major-spoilers.46783/
- https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/such-an-uninspired-disappointing-story.43524/
- https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...h-playing-the-witcher-iii-wild-hunt.10993948/

I was on CDPR forum when The Witcher 3 released and it looked like Cyberpunk subreddit looks like today, many people were calling the Witcher 3 worst game in the series. These are only few threats I was able to find, CDPR forum was pretty different back then.

There were also quite a few GAF members who said exactly what the guy I quoted said that "The Witcher 3 will be forgotten in a year", but most of them are era users now so I wont make fun of them too much, their life is already miserable.

So maybe you should stop rewriting history, huh?

Interfectum

Yeah no one at all:

- https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...-game-is-a-bad-hot-mess-major-spoilers.46783/
- https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/such-an-uninspired-disappointing-story.43524/
- https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...h-playing-the-witcher-iii-wild-hunt.10993948/

I was on CDPR forum when The Witcher 3 released and it looked like Cyberpunk subreddit looks like today, many people were calling the Witcher 3 worst game in the series. These are only few threats I was able to find, CDPR forum was pretty different back then.

There were also quite a few GAF members who said exactly what the guy I quoted said that "The Witcher 3 will be forgotten in a year", but most of them are era users now so I wont make fun of them too much, their life is already miserable.

So maybe you should stop rewriting history, huh?
Witcher 3 put CDPR on the map, had amazing Metacritic score, user score, Steam score, everyone on GAF and Reddit were screaming the praise of CDPR calling them the next BioWare and the game sold shitloads.

The only reason people were even anticipating Cyberpunk was due to the fact it was from the amazing Witcher 3 developers.

The fan reception to Witcher 3 vs Cyberpunk couldn't be any more different. Stop trying to defend a mediocre game.

Larxia

Everyone should absolutely see that video!

Indeed, I was already shocked by a lot of stuff, but this makes the whole situation even more shocking, it's unbelievable how badly designed and broken so much stuff in this game is, something really went wrong in a very weird way.
If people still have fun on it because they like the atmosphere and all, that's really cool, but you can't ignore so much of these incomprehensible problems. I thought this video was great personally.

Button

Banned
Witcher 3 put CDPR on the map, had amazing Metacritic score, user score, Steam score, everyone on GAF and Reddit were screaming the praise of CDPR calling them the next BioWare and the game sold shitloads.

The only reason people were even anticipating Cyberpunk was due to the fact it was from the amazing Witcher 3 developers.

The fan reception to Witcher 3 vs Cyberpunk couldn't be any more different. Stop trying to defend a mediocre game.
It's no use, many people are still in deep denial about the game. But it's funny how as time goes by, people have moved from "Cyberpunk is just as good as Witcher 3" to "Witcher 3 had flaws too". Next step is "Cyberpunk was disappointing".

Isendurl

Or maybe you should stop being butthurt that some people actually dont think that Cyberpunk is mediocre and accept that different people have different opinions. 🤷‍♂️

I mean you supposedly joined in 2008 you should be old enough to do it....

Nope. He goes into detail several times for major elements of game. Saying he doesn't touch on anything important is pure bullshit.

He has nothing much to say about the combat mechanics, story, characters, quality of the dialogue, side mission quality, mission design... his complaints are about glitches, things promised that didn't make it into the final product and open world interaction because like many knobs he thinks it's a GTA game and not an RPG. What's bullshit is anyone buying this guy touches on what matters about the game.

Interfectum

Or maybe you should stop being butthurt that some people actually dont think that Cyberpunk is mediocre and accept that different people have different opinions. 🤷‍♂️

I mean you supposedly joined in 2008 you should be old enough to do it....
The argument isn't that you can't like the game bro... the argument you had was the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk had similar receptions at launch which is completely and utterly untrue. ✌️

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just finished the game tonight and

All the endings kinda suck, what's with continuing from the last checkpoint?! Got to be one of the worst ideas ever

Yeah the endings aren't very good. The fight against
Adam Smasher
is also extremely bad and even more so if you have a stealth or melee character. It took me 80 grenades and 600 rounds of SMG ammo to beat him. Which was me running around endlessly.

Last edited:

rolandss

I just requested my refund for the hard copy on PS4. I was playing it on pro and within the first 2 hours I had two crashes and a bunch of ugly graphical issues. It kinda feels like a less polished version of Rage 2 to me. Pretty disappointed. I’ll buy again when i have a PS5, its cheaper, and has had the problems patched out.

Isendurl

The argument isn't that you can't like the game bro... the argument you had was the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk had similar receptions at launch which is completely and utterly untrue. ✌️

No bro, argument was that there were a lot of people who were disappointing with the Witcher 3 when it released, especially in the Witcher community, which is not even an argument, its the truth. There are still people who thinks the Witcher 3 is the worst game in the series, I know few of them.

Now Cyberpunk was much more anticipated game and released in much worst state, so yes, overall Cyberpunk has much worst reception, but the Witcher 3 was not as universally praised as some people try to claim it was.

And if the argument is about reception, maybe you should stop saying stuff like "Stop trying to defend a mediocre game."

But no hard feelings bro. :messenger_spock:

Last edited:

PooBone

First of all, I’m a huge fan of the Withcer 3, best RPG experience this generation for me and CDPR have raised my expectations for their upcoming cyberpunk style Role Playing Game mindblowingly high! Played 10 hours thus far on PS5 and the game never comes close to my expectations! CDPR made a huge mistake with this game and raised the expectations and pre release hype for this game insanely high!
Cyberpunk 2077 should have been a next gen only title and would come in 2022 at least. It still needed huge amount of development time. Definitely unfinished project.
Aside from the unprecedented BUGs and glitches, gameplay and RPG mechanisms are Meh at best!

Also Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 and Xbone is nothing short of a disaster tho!

what the fuck CD Projekt Red?!
That stinks so many are having this issue. Playing the game on the XSX has been a delight.

The reason this came out too soon is simple: investor expectations.

Top Bottom