• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange is the New Black - Season 1 on Netflix - Every sentence is a story

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
More Orange for Laura Prepon

In the wake of recent-ish reports that inmate Alex Vause would only be around for a handful of Orange Is the New Black Season 2 episodes, series creator Jenji Kohan is suggesting a greater presence.

“Yes, yes, she is coming back,” Kohan told Us Weekly. “Not [for] the whole season, but… you’ll see her for most of it.”

Yass!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Orange Is The New Black‘s Elizabeth Rodriguez has joined the cast of Cinemax’s drama pilot Blanco

QEhD28h.jpg

Hopefully this doesn't impact her involvement with OITNB.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If there's any show where frequent cast turnover can be easily explained, it's a show set in a minimum-security prison.

It sucks if we see a bunch of cast members leave, but it's prison, so at least the writers won't have to come up with crazy and elaborate ways to write them out of the show.

That's true. Still, I'd hate to lose too many good characters.

Moozo

Just finished S1. Felt it was struggling after about the 9th episode, and the end just pissed me off because it sends them down a bit of a dead end that they'll miraculously resolve in the first episode of S2.

On the song: it's fine until a particular point.

"You've got tiiii-iiii-*great up to here, but the next bit is fucking awful*-IME!!!!!!!!!! YOU'VE GOT TAAAAAIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAIIIIME"

ac1d

Neo Member
I've never checked out Weeds before, but I did give this a try the other day and finished it all. Taylor Schilling (Chapman) captured my heart from the beginning, as well as Taryn Manning (Tiffany) was fucking awesome, and I'm glad it ended with those 2, but I loved EVERYONE on that show.

As a male fan of the show I know most of my other dude friends will pass this up as a girls show and never give it a chance. But from myself, the perspective of a 25 year old dude, I love prison shows like lockdown/lockup, psychology, women's rights, human rights, political, religious, reality, morality, sensitive issues, and this touches upon all of that and more, and admittedly made me want to tear up like 20 times in the 13 episode course lol.

I may be a fan of the feminist values and issues on the show, but I really think it needs a much more decent male influence, because almost every 'man' on that show is either partially retarded or a total scumbag. On that note though, Mendez is definitely in my top favorite villains of all time now lol, I loved to hate the fuck out of his character.

But in the end, All of the women on that show were just incredible, and I applaud them all. Great job Jenji Kohan, great cast, great writing, filming and everything else. I can't wait to see Piper again next season.

- HitFix with a few promo pics from the new season (no spoilers, as far as I can tell)
- THR: Emmys: 'Orange Is the New Black' to Compete as a Comedy
After storming last year's Emmys with House of Cards, Netflix is prepping its next line of attack. The streaming service will submit Orange Is the New Black, Jenji Kohan's acclaimed one-hour prison dramedy, for consideration as a comedy, potentially giving Netflix nominations in both series categories at the Aug. 25 ceremony.

stupei

I may be a fan of the feminist values and issues on the show, but I really think it needs a much more decent male influence, because almost every 'man' on that show is either partially retarded or a total scumbag. On that note though, Mendez is definitely in my top favorite villains of all time now lol, I loved to hate the fuck out of his character.

That's because all the men men are in positions of power to some extent. All the women in positions of power are total pieces of shit or morons too, not just the men.

Maybe the only woman outside the inmate population who isn't awful is Chapman's sister.

I'm up to episode 8 so far and I'm enjoying it, but one thing I really don't like is that everyone whose 'outside' story they told is shown to be so sympathetic. It's OK to have mean people and real criminals in prison, not everyone has to be a decent person that just got mixed up in some stuff.

I don't know what the reality of prison is in the US but I've been locked up in secure hospitals and prisons here in Scotland. Most people you're locked up with are fine in most situations and it's largely a combination of bad choices and bad luck that lead to them being locked up. Most people just want to get their heads down and get on with it.

If most of the people I've been locked up with had been raised in nice middle-class communities and families with all the opportunities that offers, they'd never be anywhere near the criminal justice system. It's very telling that in the local prison, most of the prisoners tend to come from the same impoverished communities and areas with almost none from the more affluent areas.

I ended up on the wrong end of the criminal justice system because I developed serious mental health issues which were undiagnosed and for which I had no support whatsoever and got me locked up for quite some time in a secure hospital and my current woes are because I inadvertently pissed off the local police.

To put it into perspective, before I developed my mental health problems, I used to be a sysadmin for several major financial companies in my country earning damned good money and enjoying a very nice life. I became ill and lost everything including my liberty.

Yes, I've met the occasional genuinely nasty individual who clearly does need to be locked up for everyone's safety and wellbeing. But they're actually few and far between. A lot of the people I've been locked up with are fine once you get to know them but most people never would bother because they're far too judgemental and think that they could never end up in a place like that - which is true as far as it goes but mostly because of their white, middle-class privilege. There are only a relatively few outright psychos like Punksatawny.

The reason I was remanded recently before making bail is because of an over-zealous prosecutor who is trying to argue that a court order I'm subject to has a far broader scope than what was explicitly stated in it and who is also trying to argue that some recent legislation has a far broader scope than it explicitly states in the legislation. The prosecutor is essentially trying to redefine the law and argue that I've broken his expanded definition and interpretation. As far as I was aware, I abided by the court order I was subject to and I didn't breach the relevant legislation. Which means I have to go to trial...

As for the show itself, I watched it in a binge when I got out of prison and really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the second season.

Dabanton

Well my wife will be happy we both loved the first season. So much good TV on the way it's feels great that I'm going to have to once agin decide what shows I watch on what day.

Finally gave this a go and I really like it.

HoC was a bit too intense for me right now but this hits a good balance between charming and serious.

Screw that intro though. Did they really need 1 minute+ intro?

LaNaranja

I just finished watching this show. To compare it to Breaking Bad is an insult. This is a step above in my opinion. It is in Twin Peaks tier for me (the GOAT tier). I love the variety of the different plots going on.

Messi

I just finished watching this show. To compare it to Breaking Bad is an insult. This is a step above in my opinion. It is in Twin Peaks tier for me (the GOAT tier). I love the variety of the different plots going on.

You might wanna give the show some breathing space before giving it this kind of praise.

I enjoyed it, I do like films and shows set in prisons though. Coming from Oz I was always expecting far worse things to happen during the show, even though I knew it was much lighter. That Oz conditioning.

Flandy

Started watching this show randomly on netflix last night because I was bored. Finished watching it just a few minutes ago. I hadn't really read much about or really heard any praise about it before. Turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Am excited to watch season 2 :)

Also, Piper looks a lot like one of my classmates. It's pretty hot weird at times.

Taylor has one of the most amazing faces I've ever seen.

Show is also amazing. I was super hooked. Hopefully season 2 can reach the heights achieved by its predecessor.

yursnhere

How did I not know about this show sooner?! I have seen the first 5 eps or so and It has been simply amazing so far. Glad to hear s2 is coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom