• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oreshika releasing on PSVita on March 3rd/4th. Digital only,19.99 $/€

GameE

I wanted physical, but I didnt think that would happen. At least Freedom Wars was physical. Price point is ok.

Prelude.

You really think that Sony announced this title late to prevent a petition? lol
To prevent people from assaulting their blog/twitter with requests of a physical release.

As for FW sales, it was low enough that they no longer do retail releases on Vita
That's false, they released physical first party games after FW and digital first party games before FW.

didn't chart anywhere, and never reached any notable sales milestones that Sony wanted to share.
That almost never happens unless the game sells a million. But you're saying that "nobody" bought the game physically so you're implying that you know the difference between digital and physical sales.

Atwa

Banned
20 bucks?
Wow! I was expecting a 40 and even then was gonna get it.

Digital only is not an issue to me, its so nice having a 64 gb card for the Vita. I have all my games installed, and that is like 35 and still got more room. Best choice I made for Vita was going all digital.

It looks cool. Not particularly a fan of dungeon crawlers. Is there much going on with the game outside of dungeons and breeding, rinse repeat? I really want to get it but am worried I may not put the time into of that is mostly what it is.

Prelude.

Why would they even care? People post all kinds of shit on their blog and twitter a few more posts about Oreshika would've been lost in the noise.
They cared enough to change their mind and release physical copies of a game in one single region. If you have hundreds of people telling that your company sucks on social media, you know, that's not exactly good press and you'd rather shut them up before articles start popping up.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Had a bad time with the Asia Chinese version. The game has a mandatory feature that needs you to visit other players' towns and dungeons to gain access to some dungeons. The dungeons that you start with and have are randomly allocated and you don't have access to other dungeons unless you visit other players. The Asia version did not allow online gameplay to work even after more than a month after the game was released. This meant that an important was not available for a long time. The patch that Japan received was also not available until quite a while after release date.

Tried getting a refund from Sony but of course it didn't work.

Was greatly disappointed.

They cared enough to change their mind and release physical copies of a game in one single region. If you have hundreds of people telling that your company sucks on social media, you know, that's not exactly good press and you'd rather shut them up before articles start popping up.

But people can (and probably will) still complain and tell them they suck even now. The timing of the release doesn't change anything. No one will write articles about Oreshika not getting a retail release.

Prelude.

But people can (and probably will) still complain and tell them they suck even now. The timing of the release doesn't change anything.
It changes everything, the game is coming out in a few weeks and people will stop being engaged because it'd be too late to change things. The same thing happened with SSD.

With FW even yosp got involved and when they announced the physical release he and the PS account we're all like "See? SEE?! We listened, we care about you."

jzbluz

I've been waiting for this! Too bad we won't get the demo so I can have something to occupy me with until release, but I think I can wait two weeks somewhat patiently.

That's false, they released physical first party games after FW and digital first party games before FW.

That almost never happens unless the game sells a million. But you're saying that "nobody" bought the game physically so you're implying that you know the difference between digital and physical sales.

Technically, it shouldn't even be released digitally either, according to some of the logic people are providing.

Had a bad time with the Asia Chinese version. The game has a mandatory feature that needs you to visit other players' towns and dungeons to gain access to some dungeons. The dungeons that you start with and have are randomly allocated and you don't have access to other dungeons unless you visit other players. The Asia version did not allow online gameplay to work even after more than a month after the game was released. This meant that an important was not available for a long time. The patch that Japan received was also not available until quite a while after release date.

Yikes. That's going to greatly impede me playing this on my NA account, just like the online pass for Soul Sacrifice Delta did. Is it unbeatable without visiting other players dungeons?

redcrayon

Is online play required? That counts me out, I never have online access when using my Vita.

randomkid

Given that big companies like Square and small companies like NISA can do limited website-only physical editions it would have been nice for Sony to follow suit, especially for an RPG, which would tend to attract that kind of collector type far more than some shooting/hunting game.

I had been planning to get a physical release from Play Asia but $59.99 is a little too much (does it even come with a manual?) and $19.99 is a dangerously close price to buying me off. If I see a physical version for cheaper I might bite but it would also be nice to demonstrate that there's a market for gorgeous RPGs here in the US too, even if the Vita's fate is already pretty much set in stone.

Here's the thing. Oreshika will sell terribly, physical release or not. It's super niche. Sony can do pretty much nothing about that. Releasing it only digitally makes it possible to release it for much cheaper to attract some impulse purchases. It also requires the game to sell much less copies to be "successful".

That's the reality of the situation on the Vita. If you'd rather not get this game at all than buy it digitally, then that's your loss.

redcrayon

I need to know this as well now. I have the same issue with my Vita.

If so I'll have to wait until I go back home so I have a constant/reliable wireless connection.
As far as I can see, you start with two dungeons in your home territory but have to connect to other players to visit theirs. NPC countries step in if you can't access online.

Hopefully someone who's played it can clear that up for us!

I bought it :(

I'd rather retail also but if it's not an option no big deal, I have a 64gb card.

Hey, I bought it too. But the sales obviously weren't there to maintain that practice. They didn't want to do it in the first place, they gave it a shot, it didn't work out.

What physical first party has been released since Freedom Wars? And I don't even see how the second half of that sentence is relevant.

Zoe

March 3rd.... possibly a free PS Plus game for the month?

If not, they did a good job with the price. I'd hope that people that said they weren't buying it because it was digital only will bite at the reduced price

They wouldn't turn it over to Plus so quickly.

It did hit Plus eventually in Japan though, so the potential is definitely there.

Ryuukan

Here's the thing. Oreshika will sell terribly, physical release or not. It's super niche. Sony can do pretty much nothing about that. Releasing it only digitally makes it possible to release it for much cheaper to attract some impulse purchases. It also requires the game to sell much less copies to be "successful".

That's the reality of the situation on the Vita. If you'd rather not get this game at all than buy it digitally, then that's your loss.

No, see, by 3 guys on gaf buying an Asian copy for three times the price, SCEA will get the message loud and clear that they have to make more retail vita games

autoduelist

I dunno. I'm probably just sour indies get more attention on the Vita than (to be honest, the very low) first party. [/SPOILER]

Many of the 'indies' that come to vita are already critical darlings well loved by the critics and Steamgaf. Binding of Isaac, Hotline Miami, Rogue Legacy, etc. Of course some 'indies' will get more attention than niche games.

Since the "you're wrong if you want a retail relase because I say so" folks are already at it and can't stop pushing their view on others every time this argument takes place, this might trigger you even further.

I don't think people are really saying 'you're wrong for wanting physical', but rather, 'it isn't worth it to skip a game just because it's digital only'. Those are very different sentiments. I also don't see how they're pushing their views any more than you are.

That's because the petition is old, before it was confirmed as digital-only, if the game came out in a few months enough people will vote for it/bother them on twitter and we'd get the game, like what happened with Freedom Wars but this time they purposely kept silent until the last minute to prevent that.

Ummm.... you think they.... no. The idea that they'd keep silent to prevent an 'online petition' about going physical doesn't even pass the smell test.

---

Digital game releases are cheaper and far less risk than physical releases.
Physical releases require -- more work (design, etc), the cost of production, the cost of distribution, shelf space. Furthermore, retailers take a huge chunk of every sale and if a game doesn't sale publisher returns (where allowed) can be brutal.

Digital only makes perfect sense for niche releases on vita. I'm sorry you don't like that, but it's absolutely the right decision for titles like this.

Right in the sweet spot before Type-0 and Bloodborne drops. I was hesitant given the vague spring timing, but the date and the $20 price tag makes it very tempting appetizer to fill the period before the heavyweights of the month.

No, see, by 3 guys on gaf buying an Asian copy for three times the price, SCEA will get the message loud and clear that they have to make more retail vita games

That only works if enough people tweet "Sony sucks" at the same time though. Then they just have to reconsider.

randomkid

---

Physical releases require -- more work (design, etc), the cost of production, the cost of distribution, shelf space. Furthermore, retailers take a huge chunk of every sale and if a game doesn't sale publisher returns (where allowed) can be brutal.

Digital only makes perfect sense for niche releases on vita. I'm sorry you don't like that, but it's absolutely the right decision for titles like this.

Nobody was expecting a wide-scale retail release for this game at this point though. Some kind of limited web-only physical version like other companies have done is more reasonable.

20 bucks is a pretty good olive branch in any case so if Playasia doesn't drop their price I'll go ahead and bite.

Really excited about this. I hope that this becomes a continuing trend of Sony bringing over Japan games, and digitally releasing them at $19.99.

Good job Sony!

Finally. Oreshika's localisation was announced at the same time as Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice Delta, it's been a while since we got those games so it was getting kinda worrying.

Prefer my Vita games digital anyway and that price! Day one.

How does NISA and Idea Factory do it then? They are smaller then Sony and release even nicher games.

t26

Next people will be complaining the Asian English is too expensive as play-Asia will raise their price

Ryuukan

Those two pieces of free DLC for the first 2 weeks are ¥324 each on the jp store

good deal here $$$

look at that face

randomkid

How does NISA and Idea Factory do it then? They are smaller then Sony and release even nicher games.

I think because they're smaller those kinds of margins are actually worth it to them whereas a bigger company wouldn't even need to bother. The better question is how do Square and Namco do it with their occasional limited releases.

Roldan

The game looks beautiful, but I'm not sure if I'll like the gameplay. Well, for $20, I might give it a try. Really surprised, was ready for a $40 release.

Top Bottom