• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasbin

bless polandballgifs

KqGCow4.gif

Mael

bless polandballgifs

KqGCow4.gif

I don't know wtf is happening here but it's awesome.
What exactly does any of the text mean?

I wonder if the Simpsons can get his twitter handle or something.
Then again it lacks an f.
It's the worst thing that pass of as commentary I have ever read.
the "artist" cannot draw and his "commentary" is about as poignant as the average level of youtube comments.
And this is the type of guys I'm supposed to treat with respect?

Koren

The situation with Bayrou is a bit ambiguous... When Bayrou brought his support, he claimed it was just to help Macron and not to bargain seats at the government or the parliament.
That's the kind of things you say, but it's obvious it wasn't gratis pro deo.

It looks a bit like the Valls situation, EM wants to give something to people who supported them, without looking like they're giving in old school negotiations. Walking on a tight rope there.
A tight rope, and a dangerous one... It'll be already hard to gather support, they really don't need to antagonize the center. Especially to please PS people, when PS clearly stated they would be an opposition force.

I can understand how Bayrou can be annoyed when candidates are removed to make room for Myriam El Khomri or Marisol Touraine. Add this to the fact that they recycle only people from the left, including Gaspard Gantzer, and I can understand that many people thing they've been tricked. It's not a Bayrou thing, Yean-Yves Le Drian is also annoyed, among others. I expected to be disappointed, but not this quick ;) (well, not really, I wasn't hoping anything)

The interesting point is that the problem seems to be, officially at least, specifically with Richard Ferrand. It'll be interesting to see if Emmanuel Macron is using double-speak, or if En Marche is even more shallow and fragmented that many believed.

Alx

That's the kind of things you say, but it's obvious it wasn't gratis pro deo.

Obviously. But then it isn't a good look when you break the illusion too openly. I think Bayrou didn't really play it smart, since it makes him look like the one asking for more behind the door negotiation. And ironically, he could have handled it through real behind the door negotiations (ie without making it public), since EM still has some flexibility with the 100+ unattributed positions (even if those are probably originally reserved for potential candidates from the right once he's announced his prime minister)

G.O.O.

Bayrou stated that they came to an agreement btw

There's always this kind of mess when parties work on who they should push on the législatives. For EM it's even more blatant since they want a lot of newcomers and a few discussions on the field with other parties. Can't do that and keep everyone happy at the same time.

Zanar

Neo Member
François Bayrou is a dupe. He always get tricked.

Last elections, it was Hollande, today it is Macron. Who's next Bayrou's bully ? Games are open.

Alx

Well as long as Bayrou wants to remain an independent centrist he'll always be in a position of weakness, so it's no surprise.
Even then, he already got more from the success of Macron than he did from all previous candidates he supported in the past.

G.O.O.

François Bayrou is a dupe. He always get tricked.

Last elections, it was Hollande, today it is Macron. Who's next Bayrou's bully ? Games are open.
Nah, Bayrou is an old guy who managed to stay relevant for decades, even without any major victory. Macron is smart but don't be fooled by Bayrou.

Weeks ago he was on TV to say he didn't want anything from EM, including MP seats or anything. Turns out, well...

how did you find this stuff
I subscribed to radio courtoisie's facebook fan page

actually I came to know the guy because of all those who mock him. Twitter magic

You might want to check Konk aswell for more vintage stuff, like this fave of mine. Deepest political metaphor ever

Simplet

Le Monde said:
Nicolas Dupont-Aignan met fin à son accord avec le FN

Après le ralliement du leader de Debout la France à Marine Le Pen, les deux partis avaient décidé que le FN laisserait une cinquantaine de circonscriptions libres pour les candidats du parti de M. Dupont-Aignan.

"Ce n'est plus le cas", a affirmé ce dernier sur BFM-TV ce matin. "Mon parti a décidé de rester libre totalement pour que les Français aient le choix d'un patriotisme républicain de bon sens différent du Front national tel que je l'avais exprimé au premier tour de la présidentielle", a ajouté Nicolas Dupont-Aignan.

Quant au second tour des législatives, "dans chaque circonscription, en fonction de qui il y aura en tête, il y aura des désistements au cas par cas", si des candidats Debout la France sont qualifiés pour le second tour, a-t-il poursuivi, en soulignant qu'il pourrait appeler à voter autant pour des candidats Les Républicains souverainistes comme Henri Guaino ou Jacques Myard que pour un Front national "qui partage mes valeurs, par exemple Florian Philippot."

En savoir plus sur http://www.lemonde.fr/elections-leg...cron_5127718_5076653.html#i1ff9LIoS7ATh48Y.99

I hope this little shit gets crushed in the parliamentary elections :)

G.O.O.

meanwhile BFM is struggling to find something to say while waiting for the prime minister's name to be revealed

Macron probably watching them with a bucket of pop-corn rn

Alx

Les Républicains also changed their schedule to have their strategic meeting this morning at 10:30 "to be more responsive to the Prime Minister announcement". I wonder if they're still at it too. ^_^

Coffinhal

Fun fact : Macron's closest adviser, Ismaël Emelien, who worked on strategy and PR for En Marche's campaign, advised the current president of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro for his presidential campaign in 2013 (with the PR agendy Havas). When it's money, Chavez's heir doesn't seem so bad!

Le Monde said:
« C'est le meilleur stratège politique de Paris », assure Laurent Bigorgne, directeur de l'Institut Montaigne, un think tank libéral qui a nourri le programme d'Emmanuel Macron lors de la campagne. Pourtant, le nouveau conseiller spécial du chef de l'Etat n'a pas connu que des succès. C'est notamment lui qui avait piloté, à l'époque pour le compte de l'agence Havas, la campagne du très autoritaire président vénézuélien Nicolas Maduro en 2013, à l'issue de laquelle l'héritier d'Hugo Chavez l'avait emporté de justesse, avec seulement 50,6 % des voix.

Alx

Macron always said that he would choose a prime minister with parliamentary/political experience, so we knew it would be someone who's been around "for quite some time".

Coffinhal

Another white male who did SciencesPo/ENA, went to the high administration then to ministers, started a political carreer, spent time at the local and national level as adviser, then went public by becoming mayor and member of parliament (and he likes to hold both offices).

THE renewal.

Kuldar

Another white male who did SciencesPo/ENA, went to the high administration then to ministers, started a political carreer, spent time at the local and national level as adviser, then went public by becoming mayor and member of parliament (and he likes to hold both offices).

THE renewal.
The prime minister will never be a newbie or someone who doesn't have a good understanding of the French administration or don't have first hand knowledge about how the parliament works.

What's his political position within the spectrum of LR? Closer to the centrists / Juppé or to the rightists / Fillon / Sarkozy? Hoping for the former tbh.

A bit disappointed / worried that he picked someone from the rightist party; though it was probably to be expected considering that the PS is toast anyway. This is probably going to siphon off support for LR in the legislative elections as well.

Coffinhal

The prime minister will never be a newbie or someone who doesn't have a good understanding of the French administration.

This doesn't make any sense.

"will never be" : can you read into the future ? It happened before, that doesn't mean it should and will happen in the future.

"having a good understanding of how the French administration" works doesn't mean you have to have all the checklists of the senior civil servant who became a politician, especially when the PR was elected on "the renewal".

It's the same for the people that have the key roles around him at the presidency. They all have the standard history and experience, pretty much the same as Macron himself, and no woman here neither (SG, SG adjoint, dircab, chef de cabinet, chef diplo, même la com).

THE renewal.

Just my opinion, but your comment seems like a typical "establishment!!!" post, where the mere fact that somebody has political experience is reason enough to write them off.

Instead of dismissing the guy for being a mayor (for example), look at what his term as mayor was like. What where his policies? What did he fight for? Wat did he accomplish? What were his failures? Did he have any scandals? Was he beloved? With which people did he surround himself?

Roronoa95

THE renewal.

Wait, you wanna know more ? In the past, he voted against:
-More transparency in politics
-texts for more equality man/woman
-better transition to sustainable energy

Also, he has been blamed by the high authority because of his lack of clarity regarding his income statement.

OFF to a good start !

Coffinhal

Just my opinion, but your comment seems like a typical "establishment!!!" post, where the mere fact that somebody has political experience is reason enough to write them off.

Instead of dismissing the guy for being a mayor (for example), look at what his term as mayor was like. What where his policies? What did he fight for? Wat did he accomplish? What were his failures? Did he have any scandals? Was he beloved? With which people did he surround himself?

I never said "establishment!!!" , don't try to caricature my post. Or maybe my point wasn't clear ? He's just not the face of renewal at all that Macron's marketing promised. He doesn't even have the marketing gimmick that Macron used during the campaign about his feminism (but we've seen since yesterday that key roles are held by men with the typical resume of the technostructure).

What he did as a mayor is irrevelant in my point but feel free to inform us about the public policies he supported.

Anyway I'm more worried about the fact that he's not at all an ecologist (he supports nuclear energy, was in charge of lobbying for Areva, voted against every text in support of alternative energies), he didn't vote for the right of minorities (gay marriage in 2014) and recevied a blame from the high autority for transparency and ethics in politics (and didn't vote the laws neither).
And he's going to lead Macron's campaign for the législatives and then the majority who'll be elected on Macron's latform who was at least publicly ecologist, progressive and for new ethics in politics. Can't wait to see how they will deal with this haha.

Also, he has been blamed by the high authority because of his lack of clarity regarding his income statement.

OFF to a good start !

Haha we read the same articles in the last couple of days.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What a disappointing choice of Prime Minister. plus ça change!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

OFF to a good start !

This is the part that has me worried. I mean, we already knew Macron was never in a rush to handle the energy transition, but he supposedly he wants more moral/transparent politics, and while I doubt he would outright say he's a feminist per se, he seems pretty open on that front too. Hopefully Edouard Philippe will follow his lead on those issues, and they'll have a good Minister of the Environment.

Mael

THE renewal.

turns out when you want to run an administration the best way is usually to know how an administration works, crazy I know.

e: I feel like most people don't know what the day2day work of a prime minister usually is or the way the cabinets work, hint : if you put some incompetent fucks you end up like Hollande who's 1st budget was largely refuted by the constitutional council.

Hopefully this term starts better than the last time a mayor was used as prime minister

Roronoa95

This is the part that has me worried. I mean, we already knew Macron was never in a rush to handle the energy transition, but he supposedly he wants more moral/transparent politics, and while I doubt he would outright say he's a feminist per se, he seems pretty open on that front too. Hopefully Edouard Philippe will follow his lead on those issues, and they'll have a good Minister of the Environment.

Macron wants a majority and he needs the LR to achieve this. Tactically, getting Edouard as a Prime Minister is a clever move to convince the most hesitant right voters.

We're getting in the political game and, unfortunately, they put at risk their credibility. We'll see if it pays off, personally I'm sceptical...

Coffinhal

turns out when you want to run an administration the best way is usually to know how an administration works, crazy I know.

e: I feel like most people don't know what the day2day work of a prime minister usually is or the way the cabinets work, hint : if you put some incompetent fucks you end up like Hollande who's 1st budget was largely refuted by the constitutional council.

Hopefully this term starts better than the last time a mayor was used as prime minister

It's not an administrative position, it's a political one. You're not forced to have done the ENA or even Sciences Po Paris to be PM (the last four PM didn't went to these schools btw). A democracy even in a republican regime isn't not a mix between a technocracy and an aristocracy, where political positions are filled by the supposedly "best" people, most skilled for the job that went to the best schools and know every bit of the public bodies.

What did Jean-Marc Ayrault do to you ? I don't understand why you're so vindictive.

Mael

Macron will lose his credibility if he loses the legislative and he cannot rule, the rest won't register unless he pulls some really stupid shit.

It's not an administrative position, it's a political one. You're not forced to have done the ENA or even Sciences Po Paris to be PM (the last four PM didn't went to these schools btw). A democracy even in a republican regime isn't not a mix between a technocracy and an aristocracy, where political positions are filled by the supposedly "best" people, most skilled for the job that went to the best schools and know every bit of the public bodies.

Of course, he could have chosen his baker if he so chooses.
It turns out most of our deputes ARE from these schools and in the political game, good credentials ARE important.
It's not just limited to politics, in France if you want to get a job the schools you were in is actually VERY important.
Considering ENA alumni go from communists to FN, doing that school says nothing about the ideas pushed by the alumni.
PM is a managerial position in the end with the way the job works, ENA (and its territorial equivalent) just happens to be the highest school for that kind of work.
After the disaster that is the US admin, I'll gladly take someone who's part of the 'establishment' and know how things work instead of idiots bumbling around like Ayrault.
What did Jean-Marc Ayrault do to you ? I don't understand why you're so vindictive.

Ayrault was shite as a PM. Valls was, of course, worse but Ayrault was largely ineffective and his and Hollande's choice of ministers were largely duds after duds.
He was better than Rafarrin but barely.
Between stupid ideas like lower tax on gas and other stupid shit they tried to push into the budget and the choice of ministers that was more rewards than actual policy choices the 1sts Ayrault governments weren't anything to write home about.

Coffinhal

Of course, he could have chosen his baker if he so chooses.

Boring. You know that's not what I meant : there are plenty of people fit for the job that don't have that resume. But...am I smelling social contempt here ? Yes that's it.

It turns out most of our deputes ARE from these schools and in the political game, good credentials ARE important.
It's not just limited to politics, in France if you want to get a job the schools you were in is actually VERY important.
Considering ENA alumni go from communists to FN, doing that school says nothing about the ideas pushed by the alumni.
PM is a managerial position in the end with the way the job works, ENA (and its territorial equivalent) just happens to be the highest school for that kind of work.

I'm happy you're happy with this choice that shows that Macron kept his beautiful promise on renewal But the renewal he meant was just having younger people, I mean white men, that went to the same schools and did the same careers in the same parties-big companies-highest administrations. And you have every right to be happy that a technostructure still runs a democracy, despite the marketing campaign that we had. Le vieux monde c'est fini!

Mael

Boring. You know that's not what I meant.

Still at this point if he gets to pick a career politician better a tried and true than a fucking Montebourg or a Sarkozy. Taking someone who's not a career politician is opening yourself to all kinds of blunders Macron could do without.

I'm happy you're happy with this choice that shows that Macron kept his beautiful promise on renewal But the renewal he meant was just having younger people, I mean white men, that went to the same schools and did the same careers in the same parties-big companies-highest administrations.

I never said I was happy with the choice, I'll wait till they start doing something to say if he's good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom