• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| French Presidential Elect 2017 - La France est toujours insoumise; Le Pen loses

GAF Decides

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Juppé was 100% right.
This whole farce is absurd, but bringing him into it isn't going to undo the past few weeks all of a sudden.

Simplet

Juppé is right, but I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish by delivering a statement that can be summarized by the sentence "The candidates are a bunch of clowns".

Thanks a lot Alain but that's not really helpful...

Magni

Don't worry about LR, Sarko will save them in 2022.

When did MLP get her 500 signatures in 2012? I wonder if there's more of a concerted effort to not give her signatures this time around.

Kuldar

When did MLP get her 500 signatures in 2012? I wonder if there's more of a concerted effort to not give her signatures this time around.
The FN always goes for the drama with the signatures and the last day they come with enough to be candidat.

Alx

Juppé already seemed bitter and disillusioned after the primaries. He was the first to face direct slander during the campaign, and I think he doesn't want to play with that kind of new rules (even if that was tame compared to what happens in other countries). He's old school politics, after all.

Looks like Macron will be our next President, as long as it's not Lepen, I'm ok with this.

I am afraid that many people will not vote for Macron because of the hate of the current governement. Lepen have a serious chance in all the scenarios, i dont know who is the best to counter her.

Ac30

I am afraid that many people will not vote for Macron because of the hate of the current governement. Lepen have a serious chance in all the scenarios, i dont know who is the best to counter her.

Macron quit the current gov't in disagreement, though.

Macron quit the current gov't in disagreement, though.

But he is perceived as center-left, like the current gov. I don't think there is a big gap between macron and right side of the PS, except on social issues. Many people on the left wont vote for him because they felt betrayed by his former team, as many people on the right aswell.

What a stressfull election.

Simplet

I mean, seriously? If not Macron, then who? He's pretty much the default candidate at this point.

Alx

The only thing worrying me with a Macron/Le Pen second round will be the debate. While Macron is educated and gave me a good first impression, he's definitely not a very good speaker. Le Pen will most probably score some points in a direct confrontation. Not enough to make a difference (hopefully), but I want to see the gap between them as large as possible.

Alx

It's a risk either way, but I don't know if Macron can avoid a confrontation. The only time there wasn't a second round debate was with Chirac Vs JM Le Pen in 2002, but things aren't exactly the same today. Back then Chirac had all the legitimacy of a strong candidate with political backup, and Le Pen was an anomaly.
Today Macron is the anomaly, who has to convince voters from both sides to rally him. While Le Pen is now a recognized (and elected) candidate, probably even with the most votes in the first round.

G.O.O.

Apparently Asselineau is about to get his 500 signatures. Good, we had a severe deficit of lunatics in this campaign

G.O.O.

This is getting rediculous. Imagine if he still makes it to the second round, MLP is going to smash him.

Fucking Macron better not choke.
I expect la fachosphère to campaign for Fillon during the next few weeks. That's something we might want to keep an eye on...

mo60

This is getting rediculous. Imagine if he still makes it to the second round, MLP is going to smash him.

Fucking Macron better not choke.

He won't.Fillon will keep on hurting himself until April 23rd.

And I think Macron will do fine in the second round debate if it occurs. Everyone thought Justin trudeau in 2015 would do awful in all of the debates in the 2015 canadian federal election but he did decent or all right in them.

Ac30

But he is perceived as center-left, like the current gov. I don't think there is a big gap between macron and right side of the PS, except on social issues. Many people on the left wont vote for him because they felt betrayed by his former team, as many people on the right aswell.

What a stressfull election.

So he's both a leftist a neoliberal shill, I can't keep up

Also how is Juppe getting signatures?! He isn't even running. He can't cause vote splitting through this can he?

Alx

So he's both a leftist a neoliberal shill, I can't keep up

Also how is Juppe getting signatures?! He isn't even running. He can't cause vote splitting through this can he?

Anybody can get signatures, it's up to the mayors to give it to whomever they want, even people who're not candidates. And getting the 500 votes doesn't automatically turn you into a candidate either. So no matter how many signatures Juppé gets, since he said he's out, then he's out.

Man, it would be crazy if Macron beat Le Pen in the first round.

Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election%2C_2017.png

Well, it finally happened. Macron > Le Pen

@Taniel
Re-shuffled race in France (Harris poll): Macron 26%, Le Pen 25%, Fillon 20%, Hamon 13%, Melenchon 12%. Macron leads 65%-35% in runoff.

Still can't believe Fillon is even at 20%.

Alx

Is that for the first round or second round?

First round.

And yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Fillon came back in the race, considering there's no other alternative for regular right voters. Now that any kind of "plan B" seems excluded, he's back as the only candidate for them.
It also explains the lower vote intentions this year, there's no strong and popular candidate in the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom