• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Not super shocked that Idea Factory is cutting their ties with Aksys here. I just want the school game, damnit. We've only been requesting it for years.

I do highly doubt it will be the same script. I imagine they got a different team to translate it instead of paying for Aksys' version. Would depend on their contract, but I assume Aksys would have rights over their translation.

Have they really cut ties with them? Aksys have 4 Idea Factory developed games releasing in 2017, lol.

Saphirax

Have they really cut ties with them? Aksys have 4 Idea Factory developed games releasing in 2017, lol.

Why would they cut ties with Aksys? Seems quite the opposite actually.

It'd be nice if Aksys could work with IFI on Hakuouki so that we don't have to end up waiting a year+ for the second part.

Shizuka

The weirdest thing is that we got three otome from those two companies last year and none this year. Next year, it'll be five otome. Isn't that just poor planning?

Saphirax

The weirdest thing is that we got three otome from those two companies last year and none this year. Next year, it'll be five otome. Isn't that just poor planning?

You have to take into account the timing. Both Norn9 and C:R came out near the end of 2015. Aksys then announced their otome localizations at AX this year. The time between the two events isn't that long once you take into consideration that C:R and Norn9 needed to be profitable for them to continue and they'd also need time to sort everything out with IF. However the same timing meant no localizations for 2016.

If they can spread out their releases it should be fine.

Why would they cut ties with Aksys? Seems quite the opposite actually.

I certainly would've thought so. IFI only seem interested in picking up the more well-known stuff while Aksys are chasing after everything else (which seemingly worked out well for them, judging by how Code Realize reviewed).

S'frustrating because it feels like we missed out on some good stuff in the massive gap between localizations. Namely Psychedelica. At least Bad Apple Wars didn't slip through the cracks despite being a 2015 release in Japan.

But yeah, you'd think they'd have planned this a bit better.

ss-hikaru

Finished my first Otome game yaay! I kept putting off playing Amnesia because I heard that the anime was terrible but after playing it I kinda see why it wouldn't transition to an anime series so well... I did the worlds in a random order (clover, diamond, heart, spades) but I think it worked out well. I got Kent's good end easily, and Toma's pretty easily (I got one bad end because I was too curious about
Ukyo
and followed him....). Shin was my favourite character prior to playing the game but first run through I only got the normal end. Used a guide to get the good end and I think I prefer the normal end... And then I used a guide for the rest of the game because even with autoplay it's really tedious going through the routes again when the dialogue barely changes.

I didn't really like Joker world much. I feel like because of the parallel worlds I was comparing this to another visual novel
Steins;Gate
a bit too much and I feel like with Amnesia
Ukyo
didn't get enough characterisation in the other routes for me to feel like he was the true route, if that makes sense?

Finished Amnesia (Kent... thank you for being... everything),

I think in the end I preferred Kent as the partner for the MC. My favourite character though is still Shin, but I don't think he goes with the MC very well :p I think I like him because if I were a guy in an otome (lol) I'd probably be cold like that, but despite this "connection" I found his route really hard, I couldn't tell what he wanted to hear LOL.

Saphirax

That's interesting. Probably explains why IFI took the series back in house as well, if it's a passion project for her :p

(Also bodes well for getting part 2)

Yep. I do hope we don't have to wait too long for the second part. Think Kyoto Winds will be the first game I buy on day one with no intention of playing it immediately simply because I want to play the second part right after.

jzbluz

Good news - Hakuouki is going to be translated by the same person who worked on the original game.
https://twitter.com/nobababan/status/797505054357893120

I wonder if that makes it more likely that they're using Aksys' script even if they have to heavily reedit. After all, Aksys did let the mobile publisher use it.

Also I wonder if Aksys telling fans to tell IF that they want SSL means that IFI and Aksys are currently fighting over who should publish it.

Saphirax

I wonder if that makes it more likely that they're using Aksys' script even if they have to heavily reedit. After all, Aksys did let the mobile publisher use it.

Also I wonder if Aksys telling fans to tell IF that they want SSL means that IFI and Aksys are currently fighting over who should publish it.

Yeah, using the existing script would speed things up even if there's quite a bit to edit/translate from scratch.

Could be that they split - IFI bringing KW and its second part and Aksys working on SSL.

Nudull

Banned
Ah, there's a mobile port of Hakuouki? I'm tempted to double dip, but the $31.99 price point is a bit steep with my current budget. o.o

So everyone here also mentions Sweet Fuse - I just looked it up on the PSN store, but really don't like the look of it. What's great about it?
I think the fact that the game description was clearly google translated into my language didn't help.
Also, fuck puzzles. Those Amnesia mini games really broke me.

Sweet Fuse, for me anyway, is just a fun sweet time. The story itself outside the romance was interesting and immersive for me, I was hooked quickly. There aren't really puzzles per se like you would think, it's just some game mechanic periodically requires you to highlight some words to figure out what your next step is. The boys aren't as cute just from the art alone as a lot of other games but they're really lovable for the most part and you can yell at them when they're being idiots as a game mechanic which is just supremely satisfying.

Kanashimi

Still feels like this is the beginning. I mean Idea Factory hasn't had their US subsidiary for that long. It makes sense in a five year plan to eventually take over all of their properties. I mean, then they can charge for collector's editions like Amnesia (which didn't even have a physical game; forever bitter -_-).

Someone mentioned Aksys doing the school game, but we can confirm it'll be a different translator since the original one is now with Idea Factory.

Aksys has also been taking some budget precautions it feels like such as the lack of a dub with BlazBlue. So we'll have to see.

I think people are reading too much into this IFI Hakuouki business. Maybe they'll move more of the localization for otome titles in house, but this isn't the first otome they've done in house and the volume of titles is probably too much for them to do it without working with an external partner.

Maybe they were waiting on the sales of 2015 wave of games before committing to more? It'd make more financial sense to space them out more, but perhaps the licensing and localization schedule couldn't keep up.

Nudull

Banned
Sweet Fuse, for me anyway, is just a fun sweet time. The story itself outside the romance was interesting and immersive for me, I was hooked quickly. There aren't really puzzles per se like you would think, it's just some game mechanic periodically requires you to highlight some words to figure out what your next step is. The boys aren't as cute just from the art alone as a lot of other games but they're really lovable for the most part and you can yell at them when they're being idiots as a game mechanic which is just supremely satisfying.

I think that alone just sold me. XD

Saphirax

Still feels like this is the beginning. I mean Idea Factory hasn't had their US subsidiary for that long. It makes sense in a five year plan to eventually take over all of their properties. I mean, then they can charge for collector's editions like Amnesia (which didn't even have a physical game; forever bitter -_-).

Someone mentioned Aksys doing the school game, but we can confirm it'll be a different translator since the original one is now with Idea Factory.

Aksys has also been taking some budget precautions it feels like such as the lack of a dub with BlazBlue. So we'll have to see.

There's so many Otomate games out there and with IFI being a small company I just don't see it. Aksys clearly wants to bring more otome games it'd be foolish to cut ties with them - they'd be leaving money on the table. Aksys can comfortably bring 4+ otome games a year. IFI can manage one, maaaybe two (as they implied in an interview).

The whole dub fiasco probably has little to do with Aksys and more to do with Arcsys.

Dee Dee

I think that alone just sold me. XD

Yup. Soldx2.

Also, Code Realize is crazy. What is this plot. A full 10 on the anime scale.
And all the voice actors are hugely famous. Kinda annoying when your little brother sounds like Eren Yaeger.
I love it, by the way!

Shizuka

https://twitter.com/WosietheRose/status/799648027812110336

Clock Zero is most likely a mistake, but I sincerely hope that the second part of Hakuouki is getting localized and that it isn't a part of their 'we currently have no plans on localizing another otome game'.

On another note, anyone is free to e-mail IFI with suggestions to which otome games they should look into localizing.

Maybe it's not a mistake!
Or maybe even Idea Factory has trouble keeping up with so many otome titles.

Saphirax

Guys, guys! Hyakka Hyakurou is getting localized!

header.jpg

...for Steam

...with dubious English

...and a horrid font.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/512180/

Sigh. Ah, well... better than nothing I suppose.

jzbluz

What has D3P even published lately? They probably aren't equipped to publish anything on the PSN.

Guys, guys! Hyakka Hyakurou is getting localized!

header.jpg

...for Steam

...with dubious English

...and a horrid font.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/512180/

Sigh. Ah, well... better than nothing I suppose.

Wow, it has voice acting. This is so surprising since we've only gotten mobile ports from D3P. Also, I'm pretty sure this was their only good Vita game that wasn't a port.

I would have preferred the Vita version, but I'll probably buy it anyway despite the dodgy English. At least the translation doesn't seem to be Alice in the Heart bad...

Saphirax

What has D3P even published lately? They probably aren't equipped to publish anything on the PSN.

Wow, it has voice acting. This is so surprising since we've only gotten mobile ports from D3P. Also, I'm pretty sure this was their only good Vita game that wasn't a port.

I would have preferred the Vita version, but I'll probably buy it anyway despite the dodgy English. At least the translation doesn't seem to be Alice in the Heart bad...

Well they did publish the game on the Japanese PSN so they should be capable of doing the same for NA/EU but the chances of that happening are quite low.

It was one of the games I wanted the most. Personally - not sure if this is good news or bad :p.

Shizuka

I have my doubts it's D3 Publisher the one responsible for the Steam port. They're owned by Bandai Namco and don't really have a say on most things nowadays.

jzbluz

Well they did publish the game on the Japanese PSN so they should be capable of doing the same for NA/EU but the chances of that happening are quite low.

It was one of the games I wanted the most. Personally - not sure if this is good news or bad :p.

But can a JP publisher publish anything in another region just like that? What are the chances that they will stealth release it on PSN then?

I have my doubts it's D3 Publisher the one responsible for the Steam port. They're owned by Bandai Namco and don't really have a say on most things nowadays.

But it's their only steam game where they have themselves as the publisher.

Saphirax

But can a JP publisher publish anything in another region just like that?

I'm sure it's not as simple as just switching regions, but it shouldn't be as difficult either. It'd be another issue if it was a company like MangaGamer that never published anything on Sony platforms, but D3P is already involved with them.

Wishful thinking on my part, but I'd kill for a company to bring Steam releases such as Taisho Alice, Ozmafia and Hyakka to Vita.

Edit: They also published Onechanbara on Steam.

I'm sure it's not as simple as just switching regions, but it shouldn't be as difficult either. It'd be another issue if it was a company like MangaGamer that never published anything on Sony platforms, but D3P is already involved with them

I mean, they've published plenty of stuff on PSN in the past, even on Vita (though admittedly, that was EDF 2017 in 2012).

They've not done much lately, but that's more because they haven't been localizing much. If they're already doing this, then I see no reason not to do it for Vita as well.

Side note, I'd love the Mangagamer stuff on Vita, but I'm just happy Sekai Project are finally getting there lol.

Period: Cube ~Shackles of Amadeus~ will release Spring 2017 in NA & EU for Vita! @ Aksys' twitter.

Lol, smart Aksys. Otome fans are quite dedicated and would likely know that this is the worst of the 4 game, but they're releasing it first after a year+ drought = more likely to buy it.

I always assumed Bad Apple Wars would be first given release dates, but I guess Aksys just bought the licences for all the games in bulk.

jzbluz

I remember MG couldn't port the improvements from the Vita version to the PC version of Ozmafia!! because the Vita publisher weren't involve in the original licensing agreement, or something like that. But The Men of Yoshiwara got some of the improvements from the Vita port since it was the same publisher. I wonder how easy it would be license something like the Ozmafia!! port and just use MG's translation, a bit like what happened with the Hakuoki port. Not that I want Ozmafia!!, but I doubt Taisho Alice will have an outstanding translation.

Lol, smart Aksys. Otome fans are quite dedicated and would likely know that this is the worst of the 4 game, but they're releasing it first after a year+ drought = more likely to buy it.

I always assumed Bad Apple Wars would be first given release dates, but I guess Aksys just bought the licences for all the games in bulk.

So did I, but more because I think BAW is the shortest one. Would that mean we're getting CxM for last? Or second to last since they didn't even give out a year for the CR fandisc.

eefara

I remember MG couldn't port the improvements from the Vita version to the PC version of Ozmafia!! because the Vita publisher weren't involve in the original licensing agreement, or something like that.

What was added in the Vita version of Ozmafia!!? Surely not any more characters.

Saphirax

Nightshade is going to be $35 but it'll also have a 20% discount at launch. The localization is Steam only according to the game's website. Flyhigh Works is doing the translation. I'm not familiar with them but they also translated Campus Notes with Dogenzaka.

jzbluz

Period Cube is for preorder with tentative release date of April 25.

On a related note, the description of Hakuoki mentions 12 bachelors. Could it be that they're merging the two games?

Top Bottom