• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Saphirax

Period Cube is for preorder with tentative release date of April 25.

On a related note, the description of Hakuoki mentions 12 bachelors. Could it be that they're merging the two games?

They're not merging the two games unfortunately. Technically they're still bachelors in the first game :p. The description also mentions 30+ endings which aligns with the number from the first game.

Upcoming English Otome Games
BZ5vPgf.jpg

PS Vita
Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds - Spring 2017
Code: Realize ~Future Blessings~
Period: Cube ~Shackles of Amadeus~ - Spring 2017
Collar x Malice
Bad Apple Wars

539oFKm.jpg

PC
Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome [18+]
Nightshade [Hyakka Hyakurou]
Taisho Alice

Ephidel

Nice graphics :)

I'm actually kind of giddy that there's so many otome in our future. I mean, I know the numbers are actually still small, but there's far more than before so I want to take that as a good sign :)

I can't decide if I'm interested in Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome or not. I've heard good things (and I mean, it's an actual 18+ otome being released in english, I feel I should support it for that reason alone), but I absolutely loathe makeover plots :|

They're not merging the two games unfortunately. Technically they're still bachelors in the first game :p. The description also mentions 30+ endings which aligns with the number from the first game.

Possible spoilers I guess.. but without specifics does that mean there's no romance at all? Or just no culmination and officially being together?

Nice graphics :)

I'm actually kind of giddy that there's so many otome in our future. I mean, I know the numbers are actually still small, but there's far more than before so I want to take that as a good sign :)

I can't decide if I'm interested in Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome or not. I've heard good things (and I mean, it's an actual 18+ otome being released in english, I feel I should support it for that reason alone), but I absolutely loathe makeover plots :|

As long as there's quality husbandos I'm down lol

Saphirax

Possible spoilers I guess.. but without specifics does that mean there's no romance at all? Or just no culmination and officially being together?

As long as there's quality husbandos I'm down lol

Can't say anything about the new routes, but there's no romance at all in the first part. At least from what I can remember.

Edit: I guess - technically you could say you can see some of the budding romance at the end of the first part :p.

Can't say anything about the new routes, but there's no romance at all in the first part. At least from what I can remember.

Edit: I guess - technically you could say you can see some of the budding romance at the end of the first part :p.

F
M
L

🙃🙃🙃🙃

Whatever I'm still gonna buy it but I'm mad now lol

Saphirax

F
M
L

🙃🙃🙃🙃

Whatever I'm still gonna buy it but I'm mad now lol

Hahaha, yeah it was like that in the original as well. Doesn't help that it's one of the longer otome games either. Gotta wait until the end of the second part for all the yummy romance :p.

...I accidentally made a terrible pun.

Shizuka

I love Hakuoki for paving the way for all the otome titles we're getting these days, but... Not that it's bad, but it's terribly long. I barely got Okita, Kazama and Hijikata's endings before tapping out.

Saphirax

I love Hakuoki for paving the way for all the otome titles we're getting these days, but... Not that it's bad, but it's terribly long. I barely got Okita, Kazama and Hijikata's endings before tapping out.

That's only two and a half routes! (Poor Kazama got terribly shafted in the original). I love long VNs though. Wish all of them could be as long, if not longer.

Shizuka

That's only two and a half routes! (Poor Kazama got terribly shafted in the original). I love long VNs though. Wish all of them could be as long, if not longer.

I hate it when a visual novel overstays its welcome. It can be long, but if I feel it's too long, it's not getting me excited.

Saphirax

I hate it when a visual novel overstays its welcome. It can be long, but if I feel it's too long, it's not getting me excited.

Never felt that way with Hakuouki to be honest. If it were shorter, I'd say the game would feel rushed, especially given its themes and it taking course over 4 years. It's long because of its overarching narrative - there needs to be enough time dedicated to conflicts, war, politics, the camaraderie etc. It's definitely a slow burn.

Shizuka

Never felt that way with Hakuouki to be honest. If it were shorter, I'd say the game would feel rushed, especially given its themes and it taking course over 4 years. It's long because of its overarching narrative - there needs to be enough time dedicated to conflicts, war, politics, the camaraderie etc. It's definitely a slow burn.

Oh, I meant visual novels in general. Hakuoki didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome since it needed time to develop the plot, but being too long lost it just my attention halfway through the endings.

My only problem with Hakuouki's length is just that it doles out the romance so stingily, especially with quiet guys like Saito. I tend to have that problem with a lot of them when there's not enough flirting but Hakuouki is probably the worst I've played in that regard. But the trade off is that when it finally happens it is SO earned.

Saphirax

Oh, I meant visual novels in general. Hakuoki didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome since it needed time to develop the plot, but being too long lost it just my attention halfway through the endings.

You just made me look how long it took me to plat Hakuouki. 3 days 16 hours...I uhh have no idea how that happened.

My only problem with Hakuouki's length is just that it doles out the romance so stingily, especially with quiet guys like Saito. I tend to have that problem with a lot of them when there's not enough flirting but Hakuouki is probably the worst I've played in that regard. But the trade off is that when it finally happens it is SO earned.

I find those the best. Especially when you start noticing the little changes in characters' behaviours towards the heroine. Like you said, the trade off is great. But, from what I read at least one new character is more on the flirty side so you're in luck!

You just made me look how long it took me to plat Hakuouki. 3 days 16 hours...I uhh have no idea how that happened.

I find those the best. Especially when you start noticing the little changes in characters' behaviours towards the heroine. Like you said, the trade off is great. But, from what I read at least one new character is more on the flirty side so you're in luck!

Hahaha I blast through VNs too Saphirax, the fast forward feature for old stuff and my natural tendency to read quickly just makes them go by like nothing else.

Well thank goodness for flirty boys... that helps 8'D I feel like Shinpachi has to be similar in that regard

Saphirax

Hahaha I blast through VNs too Saphirax, the fast forward feature for old stuff and my natural tendency to read quickly just makes them go by like nothing else.

Well thank goodness for flirty boys... that helps 8'D I feel like Shinpachi has to be similar in that regard

Sometimes I'll purposefully read slower if I enjoy the VN just so it can last longer :p.

Shinpachi is...well, it's not really that much of a spoiler especially if you played the original but -
he pretty much spends the first game treating Chizuru like a sister to the point that even she gets frustrated. It's kind of hilarious how dense he is.

Sometimes I'll purposefully read slower if I enjoy the VN just so it can last longer :p.

Shinpachi is...well, it's not really that much of a spoiler especially if you played the original but -
he pretty much spends the first game treating Chizuru like a sister to the point that even she gets frustrated. It's kind of hilarious how dense he is.

finally getting a crack at Shinpachi only to be friendzoned... why have you forsaken me God

Saphirax

finally getting a crack at Shinpachi only to be friendzoned... why have you forsaken me God

Think the term would be sisterzoned haha. We'll have to endure until the second part D:. Luckily his route isn't all about that. From a narrative standpoint his route is one of the more intriguing ones. At least for me and insofar as it concerns the first part.

Why isn't it Spring 2017 already?

Think the term would be sisterzoned haha. We'll have to endure until the second part D:. Luckily his route isn't all about that. From a narrative standpoint his route is one of the more intriguing ones. At least for me and insofar as it concerns the first part.

Why isn't it Spring 2017 already?

I did that to a close friend in college... he asked me to be his Valentine and I told him sure, but people might think we're dating... 😂 Then when he finally got through to me and I turned him down (kindly) all the times I ever told him he was like a brother to me came rushing back... and then I suddenly remembered all these times he was actually kind of high-key flirting with me and my dumb ass didn't even notice... this is my punishment for destroying that poor boy's heart.

But yeah, I couldn't agree more 8'D Especially for me... I'll look forward to sharing some news with this thread soon. Y'all are my bros and sisters in the otome struggle.

EDIT: I should ask if any of you are on twitter, I'd love to connect with some of you there :'D my @ is the same as my GAF username

Saphirax

I did that to a close friend in college... he asked me to be his Valentine and I told him sure, but people might think we're dating... 😂 Then when he finally got through to me and I turned him down (kindly) all the times I ever told him he was like a brother to me came rushing back... and then I suddenly remembered all these times he was actually kind of high-key flirting with me and my dumb ass didn't even notice... this is my punishment for destroying that poor boy's heart.

But yeah, I couldn't agree more 8'D Especially for me... I'll look forward to sharing some news with this thread soon. Y'all are my bros and sisters in the otome struggle.

EDIT: I should ask if any of you are on twitter, I'd love to connect with some of you there :'D my @ is the same as my GAF username

Ahahaha, Shinpachi is going to be the perfect fit for you!

Ooh, I'll follow you even though I don't personally post much on twitter. I mainly use it to get gaming news and for my otome fix.

Finally finished Root Letter. Gonna continue on with Code Realize again this weekend!

(I was actually enjoying it more than Root Letter, but I had to do that for a review :( )

Dee Dee

So Sweet Fuse is on sale on EU PSN apparently, lucky!

I am stuck in Impey's Route in Code Realize - I don't like him. He is nice and all, but there's no fire... what a complete slog this route is.
I also expected him to be
half-vampire / half-human, because for some reason I thought Tokyo Ghoul rules apply where halflings are even stronger...

I actually look forward to the route with the Count though.
I thought HE would be the secret vampire of the group...
Van Helsing and Frankenstein were both cool routes. I'll give Van Helsing the edge for the Good Ending Extra story. o_o
Although Frankenstein's was pretty steamy too.

So Sweet Fuse is on sale on EU PSN apparently, lucky!

I am stuck in Impey's Route in Code Realize - I don't like him. He is nice and all, but there's no fire... what a complete slog this route is.
I also expected him to be
half-vampire / half-human, because for some reason I thought Tokyo Ghoul rules apply where halflings are even stronger...

I actually look forward to the route with the Count though.
I thought HE would be the secret vampire of the group...
Van Helsing and Frankenstein were both cool routes. I'll give Van Helsing the edge for the Good Ending Extra story. o_o
Although Frankenstein's was pretty steamy too.

Awww Impey was such a cutie pie... although Victor and Van Helsing were my faves for sure. Van Helsing's extra story wins every CG forever tho 😂

Hey all. :) Looking for some recommendations for my SO. Any good otome games for the 3DS and/or PSP/Vita? Only real criteria I can give to limit things is no rape or otherwise dodgy consent and power dynamics.

Hey all. :) Looking for some recommendations for my SO. Any good otome games for the 3DS and/or PSP/Vita? Only real criteria I can give to limit things is no rape or otherwise dodgy consent and power dynamics.

Code Realize all day long. Then watch for Collar x Malice next year.

Dee Dee

The Vita recommendations above a very good picks.

The only translated Otome for the 3DS I know of is Hakuoki ~ Memories of the Shinsengumi. It's considered a classic, with lots of versions, re-releases and spin-offs - like the above mentioned game that will be released for Vita soon. The 3DS version is another re-release with some some cute extra short stories.
It is prone to crashes but there is a bug fix you can download from the eShop - it's still playable alright if you can't access the bug fix (in EU it's only on the UK eShop since the game is only released in the UK - just save often, that's what I did without the patch).

The story is very good, but there are some violent scenes - unfortunately most Otomes will have a kidnapping or abduction or two. It's nothing I'd personally consider crass though, but the second part of the story gets pretty weird at times.
Haha, I guess I'll spoil you, since you won't be the one playing it, so you decide:
With only one exception the available bachelors end up becoming demons to grow stronger. The heroine has to feed them her blood since she is a pure blood demon several times in the story. It sounds a LOT creepier written out like this then in the context of the super meaty story of the game. No gore, she mostly cuts her earlobe to make it bleed a little. I guess it's a sexy vampire thing. It's also consentual, since they grow too weak to fight if they can not feast on blood as demons, and of course you want to protect your love interest.

Saphirax

Uh, decided to read some C:R FD reviews on Amazon and now it seems like the game is really short. One review mentioned 40 mins per route...

Here you go:
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ (Vita)

Coming Soon:
PS Vita
Collar x Malice
Bad Apple Wars

I second these, and I suggest mystic Messenger for iOS and android. It's free to play which is irritating but super immersive and refreshingly abuse free. There's some bad endings that could go that way but it's probably the best in that regard than most otome I've played (outside of Hakuouki but that has that one thing that was discussed in spoiler tags earlier).

pariah164

Here you go:
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
Code: Realize ~Guardian of Rebirth~ (Vita)

Coming Soon:
PS Vita
Collar x Malice
Bad Apple Wars
These are all solid.

I also recommend Norn9. It's probably the weaker of the PS Vita offerings, but there's three heroines, three guys per girl, and everyone is voiced. It's got some charm to it. If your SO has to choose only one, I definitely toss my vote at Sweet Fuse. It's to date my favorite otome game, with Code Realize as an extremely close second.

I also recommend Norn9. It's probably the weaker of the PS Vita offerings, but there's three heroines, three guys per girl, and everyone is voiced. It's got some charm to it. If your SO has to choose only one, I definitely toss my vote at Sweet Fuse. It's to date my favorite otome game, with Code Realize as an extremely close second.

I was gonna ask about this. All the impressions I read make it seem quite disappointing, and I've read from a few places that it seems incomplete and the fandiscs flesh out the story, but it seems we're not getting them in the west?

I was gonna ask about this. All the impressions I read make it seem quite disappointing, and I've read from a few places that it seems incomplete and the fandiscs flesh out the story, but it seems we're not getting them in the west?

There's so many boys to get through it just makes the routes feel rushed and unearned IMO. I didn't finish it.

jzbluz

So Ruby Party is doing an AoT 3DS game. I have no idea what the game is about, but since RP is Koei Tecmo's otome making branch, I guess it's an otome? I have no interest in that franchise or the game, but wouldn't it be wild if that's the otome game in English we finally get from them? I mean, I doubt it, but the franchise is pretty big over here as well, and I vaguely remember KT licensing that AoT musou game.

Shizuka

So Ruby Party is doing an AoT 3DS game. I have no idea what the game is about, but since RP is Koei Tecmo's otome making branch, I guess it's an otome? I have no interest in that franchise or the game, but wouldn't it be wild if that's the otome game in English we finally get from them? I mean, I doubt it, but the franchise is pretty big over here as well, and I vaguely remember KT licensing that AoT musou game.

It's a romance title. You can either play as a female character and romance Levi, or as a male character and romance Mikasa. Also, we'll never get it, since Koei Tecmo is done with the 3DS for years.

jzbluz

I really hope this isn't the new game Ruby Party was talking about awhile back.

It's a romance title. You can either play as a female character and romance Levi, or as a male character and romance Mikasa. Also, we'll never get it, since Koei Tecmo is done with the 3DS for years.

I doubt we would have gotten it even it was for Vita, since it's still a VN they would have to translate, but it was an amusing thought. I'm a bit curious why they're developing it for the 3DS, the only otome games that I've seen doing well there are the ones for a way younger audience.

I'm a bit curious why they're developing it for the 3DS, the only otome games that I've seen doing well there are the ones for a way younger audience.

The Attack on Titan 3DS game did pretty well for Spike Chunsoft.

Have there been other otome games for 3DS than Hakuouki? That did about par for the course really: 2,970 FW / 9,714 LT. The ports on Vita have done slightly better than that but nothing spectacular:

Hakuouki: Kyouka Roku 2013 Idea Factory 3,662 / 13,771
Hakuouki: Zuisouroku 2015 Idea Factory 5,154 / 10,056
Hakuouki: Reimeiroku - Omouhase Kara 2015 Idea Factory 1,647 / 5,103
Hakuouki: Yuugi Roku - Taishitachi 2016 Idea Factory 3,288 / 3,288

The only ones that did loads better were Sweet School Life and Shinkai 1 & 2 (aka Kyoto Winds).

Dee Dee

So I just finished the Saint-Germain route in Code Realize, and I think I have to retract my recommendation to the guy with the significant other that wanted a healthy, abuse free relationship filled Otome.

I mean.
Wow.
Okay.

The voice actor was incredible though, completely saved and redeemed that whole route for me... but I mean, that was like a weird sorta-Yandere route with
erotic strangulation and third degree burns in the face
that I really did not expect or want out of that person's route.

Last up is Lupin,let's see where this crazy ride ends.

Saphirax

So I just finished the Saint-Germain route in Code Realize, and I think I have to retract my recommendation to the guy with the significant other that wanted a healthy, abuse free relationship filled Otome.

I mean.
Wow.
Okay.

The voice actor was incredible though, completely saved and redeemed that whole route for me... but I mean, that was like a weird sorta-Yandere route with

SG isn't really abusive though.
Everything he does makes sense, unlike some other yandere characters. He has a good reason to want Cardia dead after all.

09./00. [PSV] Code: Realize - Shukufuku no Mirai # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2016.11.24} (¥6.300) - 8.250 / NEW

Future Blessings opened well in Japan. I've no idea if fandiscs generally sell better than their original games, but for reference:

Code Realize: Guardians of Rebirth 2014 Idea Factory 6,805 / 19,155

Opened a bit higher than the original, which is nice.

I mean.
Wow.
Okay.

I'm with you on all that. Soured me on the entire character.

SG isn't really abusive though.
Everything he does makes sense, unlike some other yandere characters. He has a good reason to want Cardia dead after all.

You might think so but I feel like that's not the kind of logic someone who isn't used to otome would employ here. ;p The stuff mentioned is a bit shocking.

pariah164

I mean.
Wow.
Okay.

SG did what he did for various, complex reasons that made sense in story purposes. I wasn't put-off by it.

Toma's
route in Amnesia was far, FAR worse.
He wanted to literally possess the main heroine; one of the bad endings has her as a mind-fucked, permanent prisoner in her cage, complete with a trashy GothLoli outfit.

Saphirax

I'm with you on all that. Soured me on the entire character.

You might think so but I feel like that's not the kind of logic someone who isn't used to otome would employ here. ;p The stuff mentioned is a bit shocking.

It is shocking, but at least the whole route won't make you go "OMG EW, WHY?!?!" :p. All the explanations are reasonable.

Top Bottom