• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of control pit bulls attack man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has had a few pit bulls, and they are sweet dogs. Just depends on how the owner uses them. This dog probably had a past that made him jumpy.

Walpurgis

Banned
Not only that, but dogs aren't wild animals. They are domesticated, and they aren't generally capable of surviving in the wild, on their own. Even feral dogs are almost entirely dependent on scavenging off of human refuse for survival. And that isn't even considering any number of long-haired breeds whose fur would become matted (which can be horrifically bad) in short order.

I don't think that makes that much more sense.

Pit bulls can be strong and vicious, but let's not pretend they aren't domesticated animals. Most wouldn't last in the wild nor could they fend off wolves and other potentially aggressive wild canines.

Just what we need. Packs of feral pitbulls in the wilderness. Finally ARs will be justified on a camping trip.

For crying out loud, do you realize how much feral pets can screw up an ecosystem if we did something like that?

There's no such thing as a wild pit bull. It's a dog breed bred from other breeds bred from wolves.

Then they should all be neutered until they disappear. Bottom line is that they need to go. I just don't want them all killed.

tbd

Can't believe how many people blame the breeds. This whole thread is pretty disgusting and ignorant. For a pit bull to be rogue, the following must happen; it must be raised incorrectly, bred and trained to fight or even starved.

yet pitbulls account for more than half of all dog related fatalities
makes you think

It's also not a secret that pitbulls are popular with people with criminal tendencies that came from poor backgrounds. It's just a cycle at this point; bad reputation leads to scum getting the dogs and abusing them which leads to bad reputation again.

Basically the same link that's between race and crime, I hope you don't try to make a similar point here.

It's a real shame to see some of the posts in this thread calling for genocide of dog breeds as callously as you'd ask for a ban on automatic rifles, but that's neither here nor there. I'm not here to really say more than has already been said: owner should go away for attempted murder, people who intervened are heroes, those dogs need to be put down, etc. I'll agree that tighter restrictions on bigger, more temperamental breeds and muzzling in pubic being made law would stop shit like this (and other, more accidental incidents) from happening, but considering that many of the pits you find in shelters have been neglected, bred for fighting, or both, it's simply a compromise that seems nearly impossible to enforce.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Can't believe how many people blame the breeds. This whole thread is pretty disgusting and ignorant. For a pit bull to be rogue, the following must happen; it must be raised incorrectly, bred and trained to fight or even starved.

It's also not a secret that pitbulls are popular with people with criminal tendencies that came from poor backgrounds. It's just a cycle at this point; bad reputation leads to scum getting the dogs and abusing them which leads to bad reputation again.

Basically the same link that's between race and crime, I hope you don't try to make a similar point here.

The bolded is incorrect for ALL dogs.

Any dog can go "rogue" for clear or completely opaque reasons. Any dog can be a dangerous animal. Pit Bulls, and the breeds often identified as such are very strong, powerful animals, which is why a lot of fuckwits insist on having them. The poorly trained and domesticated ones are especially problematic, but ALL dogs can be dangerous.

A perfectly reasonable question is:

Do we as city dwellers, need especially powerful and unpredictable dogs?

I'd wager that most life-threatening dog incidents are in fact a blend of bad owners and strong dogs with locking instincts and aggressive tendencies. The reality is that one of those things is easier to deal with than the other.

This isn't about euthanizing somebody's perfectly sweet pit. I know plenty and I wouldn't harm a hair on their heads. The larger problem is first, getting rid of the culture that values their ferocity above all else - and then getting dangerous breeds bred for safer behaviors and abilities, which isn't really an unreasonable thing to think about.

We can breed them for shinier coats and blue eyes. Why not for calmer temperament, less bite force and fewer hunting and herding instincts? Who does that harm, in the very long run?

What's the argument against that?

Wolfe

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was talking more about in general, not this thread. And as you can see above, I consider those type of posts crazy.

I see where you're coming from, my mistake.

With an attitude like this, I can't imagine why people find pit defenders so abrasive.

Right...

There's like 1 or 2 people in the entire thread who said that , yet you keep homing in on that like a pitbull on a toddler's face (sorry I had to:p)

I was replying directly to a specific post, even if only one person said it I would still find the mentality sad. Also I only mentioned it once afaik.

Wrong on all 3 counts. A proper well proportioned pit is an incredibly beautiful dog.

70bde558835ff0d2b29154150a2a784c.jpg

They're known to be intelligent and easy to train because they're very eager to please their owner. Plus they're freakishly athletic.

tumblr_npjxpg5Iw61tlb56zo1_250.gif

1. That dog is so fucking ugly.

2. Why would anyone want a dog breed that has the tendency to snap at people to have that type of athleticism? That's a really bad thing.

-MD-

1. That dog is so fucking ugly.

2. Why would anyone want a dog breed that has the tendency to snap at people to have that type of athleticism? That's a really bad thing.

1. Your taste in dogs rivals your tastes in games
image.php

2. You made that up.

Lol any big dog can be trained to be vicious - this shouldn't be about pit bulls but about the dumbass owner.

I still think pet ownership requires some kind of license. It would separate people training the dogs for this BS vs owning a dog just for companionship.

Brakke

Banned
We can breed them for shinier coats and blue eyes. Why not for calmer temperament, less bite force and fewer hunting and herding instincts? Who does that harm, in the very long run?

What's the argument against that?

Honestly to me it's super silly to me that you think eye color is a good analogy for personality traits. On a human lifetime scale anyway. The difference between wild wolves and cuddly puppies is an unfathomable number of generations. Brains are outrageously more complicated than coloration.

It's frustrating that evidence on tendency-to-violence is sparse and complicated but what evidence there is seems to me to indicate that the R^2 of fixing a dog and the R^2 of training a dog dominate the R^2 of the breed of a dog by such an overwhelming degree. It's hard to declare an exogenous factor here. Say we eradicate the breed (insofar as we can even identify all members of that breed? how do you test for pitbull-ness? one drop of pit blood? how do you even identify the contributor of that drop as pit?), will angry people move to a different breed and raise them just as angry?

Is there any world in which we can even enforce erradication of a breed? It's such hubris to think you can totally halt the pit line. It's such hubris to think you can halt people raising angry dogs generally. The vast, dominant number of human-dog interactions are positive. You're talking about making heroic efforts to improve the margin.

Which is ok. Dog-on-human violence is unquestionably bad, angry dogs must be put down -- I've done it myself. But is the regime we live in really insufficiently concerned with this issue? In this specific case, the owner is bearing total responsibility for the behavior of their dogs. We have institutions in place to address bad dog owners, the evidence indicates to me that they're working very well.

Lol any big dog can be trained to be vicious - this shouldn't be about pit bulls but about the dumbass owner.

I still think pet ownership requires some kind of license. It would separate people training the dogs for this BS vs owning a dog just for companionship.

Likewise this doesn't *not* exist. In lots of cities, the pound will refuse to let some people adopt dogs. There is some discretion happening there. Lots of breeders are particular about who they sell their litter to. Obviously both groups could do better. Just the idea of "licenses" is so complicated to implement. We can see indications of whether a person will raise a dog right but we can't construct a test to *guarantee* that they will.

Musician

How about adding a law which states:

Any illegal or harmful action taken by a pet will be treated as if the owner of the pet had committed said act.

Perhaps then people would treat owning a dog with the respect and responsibility it deserves.

You could humanely breed danger out of every dog in about twenty years, without a single euthanasia.
This is very good point. The breeding has gone too far for decades, there is no common sense used when they try to get particular aspects stronger, whether it's for looks, that often make dogs genetically sick and deformed, or for how they should act, like overprotective or fight till death behaviors. It's sickening way of playing god.

Likewise this doesn't *not* exist. In lots of cities, the pound will refuse to let some people adopt dogs. There is some discretion happening there. Lots of breeders are particular about who they sell their litter to. Obviously both groups could do better. Just the idea of "licenses" is so complicated to implement. We can see indications of whether a person will raise a dog right but we can't construct a test to *guarantee* that they will.

Hm I believe there are certainly tests. For example, they have to pass a series of quizzes (like when getting your drivers licenses) for basics that a new owner ought to understand. Cost is the biggest one - some people dump their pets after year two because they didn't think about costs associated with a cuddly face. This is ESP true for some very immature university students who think they have time to take care of a dog.

It should also test on knowledge as well. Do they know how much responsibility and time is needed for a pet on top of their other life duties? The animal will live about 10 to 15 years and in a way is like taking care of a permanent child. Are they willing to understand the work involved in taking care of it?

I honestly wish pet ownership evolved with licenses earlier on - right now, that's likely not going to happen since there's a huge struggle just to get cats and dogs adopted.

However, I believe It can and should be complicated to get a license so we much fewer abandoned pets in the future.

I can't believe how many random people were trying to just bare hand those dogs and getting fucked up over and over. A guy with a bat came but ended up getting body-blocked by other people so he never even gets a swing in. Then you got some dude with a hose not doing shit except getting everyone wet. This is the streets of Brooklyn, I was expecting something. Damn.

Chariot

I can't believe how many random people were trying to just bare hand those dogs and getting fucked up over and over. A guy with a bat came but ended up getting body-blocked by other people so he never even gets a swing in. Then you got some dude with a hose not doing shit except getting everyone wet. This is the streets of Brooklyn, I was expecting something. Damn.
Shut your mouth, those people tried their best to help a man they had neither coordination nor the look from up top in hindsight. The man was mauled, flesh was ripped out, there was no time to calmy access the situation. Don'y slander bravery and the will to help a fellow citizen.

23qwerty

Holy moly calm the fuck down there bud.

There are tons of examples of "perfectly nice, wonderful, and loving" pit bulls attacking their family members in their own home. I guess those are poorly raised or whatever bullshit you're spouting though, huh.

Chimkey

Complaining about peoples reactions to the situation is an odd one. Unfortunately even tho its the last thing you should do instinct takes over and people wade in trying to grab the dogs off. Sure there are much better methods to remove the dogs but in the heat of the moment its only natural. I'm sure the victim was happy to have received the help he did as it could have quite easily ended in a fatality.

There are tons of examples of "perfectly nice, wonderful, and loving" pit bulls attacking their family members in their own home. I guess those are poorly raised or whatever bullshit you're spouting though, huh.

Except In this case you were completely wrong and the owner set the dogs on the set but keep on that pit bull hate train.

Haha what how is that relevant to what is being said at all?? pitbullgaf defence force keep on chugging

Yeah, the "defensegaf" thing doesn't really work here. You just want to shit on a breed of dogs you know little about, you were wrong about this situation that the thread was created for, so maybe it's time to bow out?

23qwerty

Yeah, the "defensegaf" thing doesn't really work here. You just want to shit on a breed of dogs you know little about, you were wrong about this situation that the thread was created for, so maybe it's time to bow out?

Calm down, I was pretty obviously commenting specifically on
For a pit bull to be rogue, the following must happen; it must be raised incorrectly, bred and trained to fight or even starved.

Trust me I know plenty fucking about pitbulls LMAO

Wrong on all 3 counts. A proper well proportioned pit is an incredibly beautiful dog.

Funny that you chose picture of pitbull with cropped ears over any other photo of that breed. And hey, don't come with answer "but they play so rough and often bite each others ears". I've heard it all, everyone knows why people cut ears and tails of dogs, for their own vanity.

UglyPony

If people ever get in a situations like this you should grab the dog by both his back legs and move backwards or throw him away.

Rogan

Banned
What a coincidence that I read this thread yesterday.

This morning I was walking to the grocery store with my girl. Between our apartment (we are neighbours, I can look at her balcony when I am in my livingroom) is a small park with a pond.

My girl was waiting for me at the pond. Don't know how it happend but a dog got loose and ran past us to go after a cat (or something we thought). It disappeared out of our sight.

At this point I got a bit scared, because I saw the youtube video's and read all the comments in this thread. And this dog was a pitt bull for sure.

When exiting the park we spotted the dog and it looked like it was attacking a teenager, the dude was on the ground and the dog was barking and trying to bite him.

The owner of the dog was nowhere to be found. After a few seconds some dude came out of nowhere and kicked the living shit out of the dog. The dog was in pain and had trouble walking.
De dog gave up the attack and was walking towards me and my girl. My girl was hiding behind me. The dog walked with his tail behind his legs, but when he spotted my girl the tail went up and he started walking towards us.

I was scared that the dog was going to attack my girl of me. When he got close I stepped back and kicked his fucking face. I'm a big guy (6ft 4 / 195 cm) and there was a lot of power in my kick (years of cycling 25 miles a day). Knocked him the fuck out.

The dog was laying on the ground but was still breathing and the dude who kicked the shit out of him was running towards us.
We talked a bit about what happend (while the dog was getting up this dude was holding him down with his hands) and he said that he saw the owner hit his dog with a skateboard a few times.

The random dude who got attack by the dog wasn't some random dude, it was the goddamn owner.

Still shaking right now.

(sorry for the bad English).

-MD-

What a coincidence that I read this thread yesterday.

This morning I was walking to the grocery store with my girl. Between our apartment (we are neighbours, I can look at her balcony when I am in my livingroom) is a small park with a pond.

My girl was waiting for me at the pond. Don't know how it happend but a dog got loose and ran past us to go after a cat (or something we thought). It disappeared out of our sight.

At this point I got a bit scared, because I saw the youtube video's and read all the comments in this thread. And this dog was a pitt bull for sure.

When exiting the park we spotted the dog and it looked like it was attacking a teenager, the dude was on the ground and the dog was barking and trying to bite him.

The owner of the dog was nowhere to be found. After a few seconds some dude came out of nowhere and kicked the living shit out of the dog. The dog was in pain and had trouble walking.
De dog gave up the attack and was walking towards me and my girl. My girl was hiding behind me. The dog walked with his tail behind his legs, but when he spotted my girl the tail went up and he started walking towards us.

I was scared that the dog was going to attack my girl of me. When he got close I stepped back and kicked his fucking face. I'm a big guy (6ft 4 / 195 cm) and there was a lot of power in my kick (years of cycling 25 miles a day). Knocked him the fuck out.

The dog was laying on the ground but was still breathing and the dude who kicked the shit out of him was running towards us.
We talked a bit about what happend (while the dog was getting up this dude was holding him down with his hands) and he said that he saw the owner hit his dog with a skateboard a few times.

The random dude who got attack by the dog wasn't some random dude, it was the goddamn owner.

Still shaking right now.

(sorry for the bad English).

I'd sue the fuck out of you, owner should too.

If people ever get in a situations like this you should grab the dog by both his back legs and move backwards or throw him away.

I think a big old knife would have helped. Although I've seen videos of police shooting these dogs and multiple bullets haven't stopped them very quickly at all. They are seriously tough.

-MD-

Yeah? So the dog was attacking you and after that he was trying to attack someone else?

You really think it would hold up?

The story isn't coherent enough for me to argue about it, clearly I'm misunderstanding whatever you attempted to write.

The Cowboy

The story isn't coherent enough for me to argue about it, clearly I'm misunderstanding whatever you attempted to write.

I think the story seems to be pretty clear.

The owner of the dog attacked the dog with a skateboard, the dog defended (I'm not going to call this attacking the owner) itself and then a passer by beat the shit out of the dog for doing so, then when the dog was walking away - it got a kick in the face so hard it knocked it out because it happen to come close to a child.

That's pretty much the entire breakdown of the story.

BUT it kinda makes sense the dad would assume the dog was going to attack him/his child, he didn't know the dog was just defending itself from an attack until after he knocked it out.

I don't think the dog deserved the kick to the face (as from the story it seems it was the actual victim), but i can see why it was done at the time because at the time all that was seen was the dog attacking someone.

TSM

All animals that can kill or maim a human being should be strictly regulated. Specifically in the case of large dog breeds, you should have to have a permit, they should be spayed/neutered and the animals should have to be professionally trained prior to a civilian owning them. It's inexcusable that people can be mauled or killed by other people's pets.

I think the story seems to be pretty clear.

The owner of the dog attacked the dog with a skateboard, the dog defended (I'm not going to call this attacking the owner) itself and then a passer by beat the shit out of the dog for doing so, then when the dog was walking away - it got a kick in the face so hard it knocked it out because it happen to come close to a child.

That's pretty much the entire breakdown of the story.

BUT it kinda makes sense the dad would assume the dog was going to attack him/his child, he didn't know the dog was just defending itself from an attack until after he knocked it out.

I don't think the dog deserved the kick to the face (as from the story it seems it was the actual victim), but i can see why it was done at the time because at the time all that was seen was the dog attacking someone.

That is how I took it too. But given the fear of the dog I can't blame the OP for being worried. If the owner was attacking the dog, the dog may have just had enough.

I would have liked to see a picture of the dog, since it isn't always as straight forward identifying a Pit. Just for my own curiosity.

http://www.pickthepit.com/

There are a lot of dogs that show the same physical characteristics of a pit.

Mesousa

Banned
That is how I took it too. But given the fear of the dog I can't blame the OP for being worried. If the owner was attacking the dog, the dog may have just had enough.

I would have liked to see a picture of the dog, since it isn't always as straight forward identifying a Pit. Just for my own curiosity.

http://www.pickthepit.com/

There are a lot of dogs that show the same physical characteristics of a pit.

On that website I got the "American pit bull terrier" on the first try. I was actually attacked by two walking home from school last week. Just a bite before I ran off, but still had to go to the hospital for a tetanus shot all the same.

Told Animal control the exact house where they lived, but since I might have got the color wrong in my state of shock they are not doing anything. Lived over here since I was a kid, but this is the first time I am actually scared to walk in my own fucking area, and all because of these scumbag neighbors and their fucking scumbag murderous dogs they feel the need to have living in the fucking suburbs.

If Pitbulls would only maul their owners, people would probably have less issues with them

Pits are super loyal they wouldn't attack an owner unless they abused or mistreated them. I rescued a pit and raised her from a very young age. She was the most loving dog I have ever owned that dog needed to constantly be near me at all times. My beagle/pug mix on the other had just thinks I'm here to feed her and let her out and isn't very loving at all she hates to cuddle.

It's all how the dog was raised. I new these ghetto dudes I bought weed from and they had a pit and some dude took scissors to this dogs ears to make them pointy.

Im firmly in the camp that if it is raised properly pits are great dogs. I would be ok with owners having to take classes to own specific breads.

To the idiot who said pits have locking jaws it's not true they are just really strong try a Google search before you spout bullshit. I don't think people actually realize how strong pit bulls a are mine could drag me around when on her leash if she got excited and I'm a big strong guy.

On that website I got the "American pit bull terrier" on the first try. I was actually attacked by two walking home from school last week. Just a bite before I ran off, but still had to go to the hospital for a tetanus shot all the same.

Told Animal control the exact house where they lived, but since I might have got the color wrong in my state of shock they are not doing anything. Lived over here since I was a kid, but this is the first time I am actually scared to walk in my own fucking area, and all because of these scumbag neighbors and their fucking scumbag murderous dogs they feel the need to have living in the fucking suburbs.

Well I sincerely apologize on behalf of good pit owners. You can walk by my house and you won't be attacked by my girl, let alone see her off leash.

I don't get people letting their dogs run loose.

Ushay

Holy shit that was painful to watch, the guy didn't really put up a fight. He was just 'This is my life now' and lay down. Poor guy, was he elderly or something?

That pool of blood at the end, damn.. Glad he is ok though. Anyone know what became of the owner/dog?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hey guys. What do you think of my pet mountain lion? I swear she's trained. I'll just go for a walk with her around the neighborhood a few times a week. I've got her on a leash so it should be all good.

Jaeger

Hey guys. What do you think of my pet mountain lion? I swear she's trained. I'll just go for a walk with her around the neighborhood a few times a week. I've got her on a leash so it should be all good.

That's not helpful and only adds to the misinformation already spreading.

charsace

They're known to be intelligent and easy to train because they're very eager to please their owner. Plus they're freakishly athletic.

tumblr_npjxpg5Iw61tlb56zo1_250.gif

The athletic ability and how they can channel it when they have adrenaline going is the issue with these dogs. The dogs are quick and fast and when they jump they get off the ground really quick and have the agility to do it repeatedly in a short amount of time. When they are raised wrong they can be more deadly than other types of dogs due to their smarts, aggression, and athletic ability.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The athletic ability and how they can channel it when they have adrenaline going is the issue with these dogs. The dogs are quick and fast and when they jump they get off the ground really quick and have the agility to do it repeatedly in a short amount of time. When they are raised wrong they can be more deadly than other types of dogs due to their smarts, aggression, and athletic ability.
Nah, it'll be okay if they're trained. Just like my pet mountain lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom