• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of control pit bulls attack man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

I think most of us would agree some kind of regulation needs to be done in order to keep people like the OP from getting hold of potentially dangerous pets. The buck doesn't start and stop at "Pit Bulls" is what a lot of people are saying.

Classes, and assessments need to be mandated from State to State and puppy mills need to be closed down. Making it more difficult for just anyone to obtain dogs in general.

I'm no expert at this at all however, and the way things are now this would be an almost impossible task. In the meantime I see a tragic and very unfortunate isolated incident, and not an epidemic of dangerous animals that need to be weeded out of existence.

Well, there is a dearth of accurate statistics. This is because statistics for dog attacks tend to be derived from newspaper reports and hospital records, where breed identification is done by eye and by non-professionals. If you look at the PDFs I linked to a few posts ago with pictures of amstaffs, german shepherds, and labrador retrievers you'll see how fraught this exercise can be. In the CDC study, it's made more suspect by the fact that the study counted "pit bull" as a single breed, despite the fact that it doesn't actually describe a breed of dog...

What's more, the study authors have also since said that the study was not an appropriate tool for making breed-specific policies or legislative decisions. This doesn't stop it from popping up in nearly every GAF topic involving pit bull attacks, though.

Absolutely. The italicized is a point that keeps getting skated over even as that particular distinction is made every 4 or 5 pages.

The accuracy of the stats (and the methodology by which they're gathered) is definitely worth discussing, but I was more trying to address Goose's question regarding the thread not having any numbers in it when it very much did.

The Beard

A fun little anecdote to support my claim that a ton of moronic assholes own pit bulls. My friend/coworker literally just called me to tell me what just happened to him, we're both working today.

He says he was crouched down working on the side of his customers house. Out of nowhere he heard an extremely loud bark right behind him. So he jumps up and turns around, and there's a big ass pit bull staring at him 3 feet away and he won't budge. The dog is just standing there viciously growling at him. My buddy starts yelling, "Get your dog! Get your dog!". The neighbor across the street comes out of his house, and his customer come out, but it's neither one of their dogs. He keeps yelling, and finally he lets out a loud, "Get your MotherFucking dog!" That's when the next door neighbor casually comes out, he starts calling the dog but it won't listen. So he casually walks over there, grabs the dog and walks him over to his backyard and closes the gate. He doesn't apologize, he doesn't say a word to my friend. The fucking idiot left his side gate wide open and his pit bull got out, which could've easily fucked my friend up. He didn't say a fucking word to my friend.

aliengmr

All dogs are unpredictable, no matter the breed. Its the owners that don't understand that, which are the real danger.

If they have the size to harm a person then they are a danger. You could have the sweetest, most gentle large breed dog, and you could never imagine it harming anyone, then one day it attacks. I had a German Shepard that was amazingly well trained and well behaved, then out of the blue he bit a kid (just a nip). Before that I could have said he wouldn't harm a fly, but I was wrong.

Pit Bulls may not be anymore aggressive but when they attack they can do much more harm.

All I can say is if I saw someone walking a couple pit bulls, I wouldn't go anywhere near them. If it were me walking them, I wouldn't go near any people.

Also, in the post apocalyptic world, if you see a group of domesticated dogs, run or start shooting. (that applies to any scenario where a group of domesticated dogs for a pack).

eot

Banned
From a societal perspective there's no good reason why people should be allowed to bring animals that can cause so much harm to public places without a muzzle or something. If you want a dog with an industrial press for a mouth because you think it's cute then that's your problem, but it doesn't mean you should expose other people to it. It makes absolute sense to regulate dangerous animals the same way we regulate other dangerous things.

Just a heads up. A wasp sting can become serious if it is followed by swelling in the area for dogs. If that is recent, I would take it to the vet if you havnt already.

Edit: super cute dog by the way :)

Thanks, this happened a while ago. I called the vet and they said to keep an eye for increased swelling, thankfully that's as far as the swelLing got.

A fun little anecdote to support my claim that a ton of moronic assholes own pit bulls. My friend/coworker literally just called me to tell me what just happened to him, we're both working today.

He says he was crouched down working on the side of his customers house. Out of nowhere he heard lan extremely loud bark right behind him. So he jumps up and turns around, and there's a big ass pit bull staring at him 3 feet away and he won't budge. The dog is just standing there viciously growling at him. My buddy starts yelling, "Get your dog! Get your dog!". The neighbor across the street comes out of his house, and his customer come out, but it's neither one of their dogs. He keeps yelling, and finally he lets out a loud, "Get your MotherFucking dog!" That's when the next door neighbor casually comes out, he starts calling the dog but it won't listen. So he casually walks over there, grabs the dog and walks him over to his backyard and closes the gate. He doesn't apologize, he doesn't say a word to my friend. The fucking idiot left his side gate wide open and his pit bull got out, which could've easily fucked my friend up. He didn't say a fucking word to my friend.
so it was for sure a pitt bull?

I ask because most pit bulls are not actually huge so when people describe a HUGE pitbull im usually a bit skeptical that it actually was.

Or big ass.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can you spot the Pit Bull?
Picture%2B15.jpg

Going to take a guess that there aren't any and this picture is just trying to show that other dogs can be muscular?
Edit: nope.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, the reason that people think you don't understand domestication is because you think that focusing on number two is ridiculous when the comparison you provided was with an animal that wasn't domesticated. In your example with the mountain lion, the mountain lion was different in two of the three ways (stronger, not domesticated), and potentially similar in one way (the way they were raised). But the difference between a domesticated and not-domesticated animal is not related to the way that they are raised; it is inherent to the animal. In order to have a vicious domesticated animal, you have to fuck up somewhere while raising it. In order to have a vicious wild animal, you don't have to do much of anything "wrong." It's a major difference.
That's because if people have no problem with some of these dogs in people's possession, I was clearly going to have to leave the domesticated zone to touch a similar nerve of fear in them that non-owners feel about their dogs. Again, I thought this would be obvious, especially when I throw in lines like "would only attack if I told them to" to signal the irrelevance of apparent control in the face of such power.

But no, people didn't care to imagine if the situation were real how they would feel about it or why, they just figured it couldn't ever carry any sort of similarity to dogs at all simply because domestication is different.

I'm sorry but in this case you hit the fucking dog with the baseball bat and kill it. I understand it's not the dog's fault (shitty owner) but if they had got to that man's throat it would not have been worth his life.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Nope. There is a pitty in there. Its to show that most people who identify pitbulls dont actually know what a pitbull looks like.

Oh, ok. Yeah, I wouldn't be able to tell.

---

What are the best techniques unarmed bystanders could use for stopping the attacking dog in this situation? Say it was a child being attacked.

Checked a few sites and so far it doesn't look like there's much that doesn't involve permanent damage for the dog. People are talking about nasty stuff like hard eye gouging and having someone break its back legs at the knees.

RE_Player

I see people trying to restrain the dogs but in this case I think those people would be justified in full on hitting the dogs, be it kicking, a bat whatever. The guy could have lost even more blood.

Also the owner is a piece of shit.

The Beard

Honestly sounds like a staffy man. Pitbulls heads are not big.
This is a staffy
staffordshire-bull-terrier-9f023-12.jpg

This is a pitbull
med_blue_pit_bull.jpg

I dunno. Pits also have pretty big heads, strong jaws. Your example appears to be a not so muscular female. But, I can only take his word for it since I wasn't there.

---

What are the best techniques the bystanders could use for stopping the attacking dog in this situation? Say it was a child being attacked.

Checked a few sites and so far it doesn't look like there's much that doesn't involve permanent damage for the dog.

Speaking of children being attacked, what the fuck was with that dad walking his 3-4 year old daughter right into the middle of 2 pit bulls attacking people in that video? There's blood all over the street, a man was nearly killed, and this idiot walks his daughter right up in there. That was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. Dude deserves a visit from CPS.

jerry1594

Hell yeah, fuck everyone else. I also grew up with two beautiful loyal brainless murder machines that absolutely destroyed small animals but happened to have never hurt a human being. And I'm getting a new one for christmas.
A lot of large breeds are highly prone to killing small animals.

Is a pitbull even a real breed?
Probably because FlyingJ spent like three pages basically going 'lol, fuck your dog'
More than that, saying pit owners are trash. The only pit owner I know is a 98 pound girl and she posts stuff on social media showing how affectionate her dog is. I got kind of offended at the claim that the girl is 'unhinged trash'.

So in terms of actions that should be taken, are we all in agreement that:

1. There should be some sort of background checks/certification/registration for owners of certain breeds

2. Leashing when outside (if you're too feeble to control it leashed then it's as if it was never leashed in the first place

3. Muzzles in public

I think those three steps would make it a better experience for everyone - dogs, owners, and everyone else and most likely result in less incidents.

Furthermore, I favor harsh punishments for owners of these breeds whose dogs cause harm to someone. If you're the owner of an animal with the potential to kill someone, you need to be held responsible.

So in terms of actions that should be taken, are we all in agreement that:

1. There should be some sort of background checks/certification/registration for owners of certain breeds

2. Leashing when outside (if you're too feeble to control it leashed then it's as if it was never leashed in the first place

3. Muzzles in public

I think those three steps would make it a better experience for everyone - dogs, owners, and everyone else and most likely result in less incidents.

Furthermore, I favor harsh punishments for owners of these breeds whose dogs cause harm to someone. If you're the owner of an animal with the potential to kill someone, you need to be held responsible.

I disagree with 1 and 3. I don't think this is necessary for how infrequently these things happen. Leash laws exist and should be used (unless in designated area like dog park). I think if the owner has control of the dogs with leash this doesn't happen.

I dunno. Pits also have pretty big heads, strong jaws. Your example appears to be a not so muscular female. But, I can only take his word for it since I wasn't there.

Speaking of children being attacked, what the fuck was with that dad walking his 3-4 year old daughter right into the middle of 2 pit bulls attacking people in that video? There's blood all over the street, a man was nearly killed, and this idiot walks his daughter right up in there. That was one of the stupidest things I've seen in a long time. Dude deserves a visit from CPS.

Yes Pits can have big blocky heads but they aren't as pronounced as some of the pit mix breeds. I just took a few pics to of mine to show head size and my daughter walked over and jumped on the dog. The dog isn't particularly big as my daughter is 20 months and you can see their size is roughly the same and I feel my female is on the bit taller side compared to some of the male pits I have seen.

11990378_1051477018197198_8255170299217237594_n.jpg

12019869_1051476998197200_5748634335916338355_n.jpg

10685562_983231855021715_9060993706850563272_n.jpg

Mumei

That's because if people have no problem with some of these dogs in people's possession, I was clearly going to have to leave the domesticated zone to touch a similar nerve of fear in them that non-owners feel about their dogs. Again, I thought this would be obvious, especially when I throw in lines like "would only attack if I told them to" to signal the irrelevance of apparent control in the face of such power.

But no, people didn't care to imagine if the situation were real how they would feel about it or why, they just figured it couldn't ever carry any sort of similarity to dogs at all simply because domestication is different.

Well, yes. Domestication is different. I know what you were going for in your comparison; the fact that you thought (think?) it was valid is precisely why I think you don't get it. Your concerns about a person owning a pit bull are not equivalent to the concerns that I would have if you were walking around with a cougar, period. I wouldn't feel comfortable with you owning a tame cougar; that doesn't lend validity to your insistence that a pit bull is equivalent because a pit bull is a domesticated animal. You can't just hand-wave this difference - or you can, but you'll be left with an incoherent argument.

I disagree with 1 and 3. I don't think this is necessary for how infrequently these things happen. Leash laws exist and should be used (unless in designated area like dog park). I think if the owner has control of the dogs with leash this doesn't happen.

The reason I vouch for number one is that:

1. Certain breeds are very powerful and have the potential to cause great harm or kill
2. Improper training or care of those animals greatly increases the chance of that happening
3. Even with proper care, animals can still be unpredictable, especially if provoked

I don't think the frequency with which it happens means we should turn a blind eye.

Except you're completely ignoring all the basic psychological differences both species have due to dogs having lived with humans for centuries.
Dogs and wolves aren't the same thing, period.

see i will agree of course that they aren't the same thing, but you seem to be ignoring all of the blatant similarities they share as far as behavior goes (they share a lot).

you were originally responding to someone saying they were one and the same which i disagree with, like you. but responding to that in a way as to portray domesticated dogs as being nothing even close to wolves is wrong. they hunt in a similar fashion (when dogs are loose, pack hunting), howl, even attack and bite in the same manner and methods, etc. there are many physical, genetic, and behavioral similarities across

as someone else said, the degree in which they are similar/different is nearly (if not) impossible to dissect and quantify for a proper discussion (genes don't tell the whole story), but to respond that they are worlds apart or completely apples to oranges is incorrect, even factoring in selective evolution via domestication

edit: and this is coming from someone who absolutely adores dogs not that it needs to be said. i'm loving these pictures being posted here

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, yes. Domestication is different. I know what you were going for in your comparison; the fact that you thought (think?) it was valid is precisely why I think you don't get it. Your concerns about a person owning a pit bull are not equivalent to the concerns that I would have if you were walking around with a cougar, period. I wouldn't feel comfortable with you owning a tame cougar; that doesn't lend validity to your insistence that a pit bull is equivalent because a pit bull is a domesticated animal. You can't just hand-wave this difference - or you can, but you'll be left with an incoherent argument.
The only equivalence I was trying to draw was "can maim/kill me if shit goes wrong" to try and get people to look at it from outsider perspective. That is 100% valid regardless of whatever setup I used to construct the picture for people to think about.

Shut your mouth, those people tried their best to help a man they had neither coordination nor the look from up top in hindsight. The man was mauled, flesh was ripped out, there was no time to calmy access the situation. Don'y slander bravery and the will to help a fellow citizen.

I wasn't slandering anything. Chill out salty. It looked like they were trying to not hurt the dogs, which in this particular case that type of restraint was not needed.

It's weird. My German Shepherd would kill rabbits on the local sand dunes, but he was great with my pet rat, I would let my rat run free in the evenings, he would come and sit on my chest waiting for food and my GS was fine with him. Never once went for him or even chased him. My spaniel I have now has caught and killed rabbits too, but she's great with my bearded dragon running around the living room. She wants to eat every cat she sees though.

RM8

Why are strong, dangerous dogs so popular anyway? They hardly make better pets than tamer dogs, and you don't have to worry about them murdering someone.

More than that, saying pit owners are trash. The only pit owner I know is a 98 pound girl and she posts stuff on social media showing how affectionate her dog is. I got kind of offended at the claim that the girl is 'unhinged trash'.

The American pit bull terrier is a breed but the term pit bull is a widely used dumping ground for anything that looks like a pit bull.

There are also a few breeds that have been put under that pit bull umbrella. The APBT, Staffordshire bull terrier, bull terrier etc.

It gets murky when a dog of any breed that has aa big head and is muscular gets lumped into that term which can cause identity issues and can also cause issues with keeping track of actual pits. Every APBT I have ever socialized with always have blocky heads and short bodies. Some of the bigger 100+ lb "Pits" are usually bred in a certain way for that large size.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Why are strong, dangerous dogs so popular anyway? They hardly make better pets than tamer dogs, and you don't have to worry about them murdering someone.

"Who do people like this thing that I don't?"
"Why do people enjoy football, bmx, extreme sports, etc that could injur or kill them when there are much safer sports like tennis and golf?
"Why do people like motorcycles when a bicycle or car is much safer and more practical?"

I mean, come on, you know the answer to this. Personal preference. There's more to "strong, dangerous" dogs than just those attributes, and that description covers a good number of breeds if we're just talking about "potential to cause harm".

With assholes it's a status symbol, and to be fair any dog can attack. Obviously these dogs have the power to really fuck you up, but a lot of smaller breeds are bad tempered and can go for you resulting in life long scarring, especially children who's faces are low enough to be a target. A friend of mine had a small lap dog type breed, not sure what it was but it looked like a miniature doberman/sausage dog. They had to have it put to sleep because it was so vicious, or rather his parents did.

Jaeger

3. Muzzles in public

Couldn't disagree more. Muzzles do not make dogs comfortable or happy. And it gives all the wrong messages to people who see your animal. It would appear that your dog is already been proven to be some blood thirsty killer. I wouldn't look at someone and say "What a responsible dog owner!"

Education and caution is the best first step.

The American pit bull terrier is a breed but the term pit bull is a widely used dumping ground for anything that looks like a pit bull.

There are also a few breeds that have been put under that pit bull umbrella. The APBT, Staffordshire bull terrier, bull terrier etc.

It gets murky when a dog of any breed that has aa big head and is muscular gets lumped into that term which can cause identity issues and can also cause issues with keeping track of actual pits. Every APBT I have ever socialized with always have blocky heads and short bodies. Some of the bigger 100+ lb "Pits" are usually bred in a certain way for that large size.
The difference between the other breeds is the ABPT is not actually recognized by the AKC so there are no legal guidelines to follow when breeding them. Thats why they are so popular with backyard breeders and a big part of the reason they are overflowing the kill shelters.

I should say reputable, not legal.

The term dangerous isn't always fair to place on one breed. Any animal should be considered dangerous and it would be foolish to not think so. Sure some more than others but I have been bitten by a lab and many other smaller aggressive dogs over the years. And yes the smaller dog did a number on my hand. I have seen golden retrievers growl and snap at family children but I have yet to see any pits misbehave towards humans, matter of fact they were tested and fall into second place behind labs for friendliness towards people. Pits had the nickname the Nanny dog over the years.

That being said looking at an owner isn't enough, no one knows what happens behind closed doors and sometimes dogs are just bad and it won't matter and the owner needs to identify that and act accordingly to keep other safe.

The amount of attacks that are reported as (Pit Bull TYPE dogs) is more of a grouping of dogs that have certain looks and are tossed into the same grouping. They are hard to ID unlike a rottie or dobbie.

The difference between the other breeds is the ABPT is not actually recognized by the AKC so there are no legal guidelines to follow when breeding them. Thats why they are so popular with backyard breeders and a big part of the reason they are overflowing the kill shelters.

I should say reputable, not legal.

Yeah shelters are depressing places. That is why I kept mine when we found her dumped and dying of heartworms. She was so calm and patient, besides being needy for attention all the time which can get a bit annoying especially when new people show up and she won't leave them alone.

I am all for changing the way they are bred. I always see signs for pit bull puppies from private homes and just shake my head.

Yeah shelters are depressing places. That is why I kept mine when we found her dumped and dying of heartworms. She was so calm and patient, besides being needy for attention all the time which can get a bit annoying especially when new people show up and she won't leave them alone.

I am all for changing the way they are bred. I always see signs for pit bull puppies from private homes and just shake my head.
yeah it is sad. Good on your for taking it in and giving a good home.

RM8

I honestly think it's silly when the vicious tiny dogs are brought into these arguments. As a small dog person, I'd be fine just making the use of a leash mandatory in public (which is a thing in some countries). There you go, those pugs and chihuahuas will have a very difficult time murdering and disfiguring anyone.

Jaeger

Dog breeders themselves need to be regulated just as much as owners/potential owners. Puppy mills are terrible places, and account for a fairly large number of pet distribution. Same for backyard breeders who look to make a quick buck selling puppies to random neighbors and the like. At present there is just not enough staff to properly police mills.

Even with all that, irresponsible owners are everywhere. People who intentionally raise a dog to be vicious, or to have an aggressive disposition against other people. I literally watched this growing up.

A page ago or so someone tried to tie "raw food" as a negative and tried to tie that into why "Pit Bulls" are so vicious. This is wrong and raw food is actually the best way to feed most pets, regardless of size or type. It has nothing to do with a dog being like the one in the OP.

I honestly think it's silly when the vicious tiny dogs are brought into these arguments. As a small dog person, I'd be fine just making the use of a leash mandatory in public (which is a thing in some countries). There you go, those pugs and chihuahuas will have a very difficult time murdering and disfiguring anyone.

But little dogs can mess up small kids easily. So yes they should be brought up. A pissed off daschound or even a chihuahua could mess up my two year old.

I was younger when the small dog (mutt) bit me. It approached me slowly after getting up from sleeping, I reached out and it bit a nasty hole in my hand. It was a small family (aunts) dog. He was a moody Bastard and later was laying on the couch next to me.

And leash laws are every where here where I live.

Edit: when I got married my wife had a beagle. Everytime you would walk near her while she was eating she would growl and bite your legs. Dog was a monster at times. Didn't matter who you were, even did that crap to my wife and small kids.

Tenebrous

---

What are the best techniques unarmed bystanders could use for stopping the attacking dog in this situation? Say it was a child being attacked.

Checked a few sites and so far it doesn't look like there's much that doesn't involve permanent damage for the dog. People are talking about nasty stuff like hard eye gouging and having someone break its back legs at the knees.

As a huge animal lover, if you see an out of control dog with a clueless owner potentially threatening someones limbs/life, you should just do whatever you have to do... Sigh.

suzu

Actually enforcing leash laws and maybe mandatory neutering (since it seems most dog bites are from intact males) would be good.

Also heavy fines for people who don't pick up after their dogs. Fuck you if you do this!

Tenebrous

Actually enforcing leash laws and maybe mandatory neutering (since it seems most dog bites are from intact males) would be good.

Also heavy fines for people who don't pick up after their dogs. Fuck you if you do this!

Leash laws? Eh, sure, as long as there's dog parks out there where they don't apply. Some dogs NEED to run. Heavy fines for people that leave their shit is definitely something I'm in favour of, though.

Mandatory neutering though? Fucking hell. Why don't we just castrate men as we're more likely to murder than females?

My chihuahua would eat a baby if he had the chance, no doubt. Now if my pitbull was there, she wouldnt let that happen.

Ha! I have a chihuahua too, definitely won't let that little fucker around kids. He's like a super grumpy tiny old man, grawls and barks at dogs and kids playing and having fun. He even barks whenever he hears babies on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom