• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game 19

StuBurns

Banned
Hey Jeff, how do you stop Bejeweled 3 telling you which gem to move next after a few seconds? It's really annoying.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
JeffGreen said:
I recorded without pants on. Does that count?
kipyes-1.gif

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
StuBurns said:
Hey Jeff, how do you stop Bejeweled 3 telling you which gem to move next after a few seconds? It's really annoying.

Hrmmmm. I know that in previous versions there was an option to turn off hints. If there isn't one in this one--I'll find out wassup. Not sure what the current patch plans are....

StuBurns

Banned
JeffGreen said:
Hrmmmm. I know that in previous versions there was an option to turn off hints. If there isn't one in this one--I'll find out wassup. Not sure what the current patch plans are....
You can turn off hints by going on the help menu but it doesn't stop it. The poker mode is serious digital crack, when it gets on iOS, it's going to be life consuming.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
StuBurns said:
You can turn off hints by going on the help menu but it doesn't stop it. The poker mode is serious digital crack, when it gets on iOS, it's going to be life consuming.

That one plus Diamond Mine are my two faves. Poker surprised me--thought it was just gonna be a gimmick, but the gameplay actually works. :)

Will submit a query about the hint stuff....

StuBurns

Banned
JeffGreen said:
That one plus Diamond Mine are my two faves. Poker surprised me--thought it was just gonna be a gimmick, but the gameplay actually works. :)

Will submit a query about the hint stuff....
Cool thanks.

The thing that really works well about the poker is it has you focus on the greater board as appose to minute to minute maximum points. It's an interesting twist for sure. PokerSmash was more of a Tetris Attack clone, but I assume it had some influence on the mode, along with the obvious poker hands parallel, it too has that spin of changing the focus of the style of play in a similar way.

Listening to the podcast now, the awards talk is interesting. For years I've heard people complaining about these awards, but I don't see a natural fix for it. As long as people in the games industry don't want to really front a title in the same manner a director fronts a film, I don't think we could have a classier alternative. There really aren't that many 'stars' of the industry. There are a few Japanese figure heads such as Miyamoto, Kojima, but in the West we really don't have that many people, Carmack might be the most recognizable name and he's not even a game designer. As charming as someone like Kim Swift might be, her inclusion at a show isn't going to garner viewers in the way Spielberg is for example.

Scribble

This episode makes me want to give the whole series a relisten. It's great. I'm looking forward to a music-centric episode 20.

sikkinixx

Very cool. Jeff Green podcasting fix this week. Ex-cell-ent.

Still, I must wonder. Why not wait until the regular crew is all assembled to do a show, since they are rather infrequent (understandably so) anyway?

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
It boggles my mind that rational adults are so invested in the Spike VGAs. It's not like this is some sacred event handed down by Zeus and judged by the greatest minds on the planet. It's a cheesy awards show conjured out of thin air one day by some executives because they believed it would make them money. It's meaningless.

StuBurns

Banned
I finished it hours ago but forgot to post. Really enjoyed the show, thanks for putting in the time guys.

Maybe one day we'll hear the erratic wailing of Bungie's very own again, he didn't even do the last Bungie podcast.

DaBuddaDa

DjangoReinhardt said:
It boggles my mind that rational adults are so invested in the Spike VGAs. It's not like this is some sacred event handed down by Zeus and judged by the greatest minds on the planet. It's a cheesy awards show conjured out of thin air one day by some executives because they believed it would make them money. It's meaningless.
This is true, the only awards that mean anything are the GDCAs. The concern is the VGAs are how the gaming community presents itself to a mass-TV audience.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
This is true, the only awards that mean anything are the GDCAs. The concern is the VGAs are how the gaming community presents itself to a mass-TV audience.
I like DICE's awards in terms of their picks.

DaBuddaDa

StuBurns said:
I like DICE's awards in terms of their picks.
GDCA's GOTYs:

Uncharted 2
Fallout 3
Portal
Gears of War
Half-Life 2
KOTOR
Metroid Prime
GTA III
The Sims

They pretty much nail every category every year. The AIAS awards are good too.

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
GDCA's GOTYs:

Uncharted 2
Fallout 3
Portal
Gears of War
Half-Life 2
KOTOR
Metroid Prime
GTA III
The Sims

They pretty much nail every category every year. The AIAS awards are good too.
Some good choices, some not so good.

firehawk12 said:
That's the third Jeff Green podcast this week!
Really? Bombcast, this and what?

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
DaBuddaDa said:
I have a hard time believing that the great unwashed masses are forming meaningful opinions about anything videogame-related from a basic cable awards show. The gap between how many people play videogames in some form and how many people actually watch the VGAs strongly suggests that this is much ado about nothing.

voltron

V_Ben said:

Sheeeet.

First time Ill be hitting Rebel up in a while. Its actually not a bad podcast.... I dont have the issues with it that many seem to have. I just dont really have the time to listen to more than a couple gaming podcasts each week.

StuBurns

Banned
SCHUEY F1 said:
Sweet, hope it is on iTunes soon. Would like to download it tonight before I go home for Christmas.
It's been on for ages, that's how I knew it'd been posted.

And thanks for the replies guys, Rebel isn't my cup of tea though, regardless of how much awesome Jeff can bring.

voltron

Still not accessible through itunes on iphone.

So annoying how theres no option to ping the server to search for new podcasts on the iphone. Theres always a delay.

StuBurns

Banned
Visualante said:
Skipped the Skype bitching. Next episode: Facebook redesigned.
The little pictures instead of names is fucking moronic. Facebook needs some shit, maybe these are the men to provide that real talk.

I agree with Robert about Walking Dead. The show lost the plot towards the end. Bad CGI explosion, stupid AI supercomputer, etc etc. The melodrama of the love triangle and such overshadowed the rest of the characters and all of the tension and atmosphere in the first half of the season was lost.

The VGA hate is totally justified, too. N'gai seemed way too fair on a show which was downright awful. I streamed it at 2am here in the UK just to see the trailers (I happened to be up! >_>) and ended up muting it until the next big reveal came along. It's a show aimed at 13 year olds, but even 13 year olds would find it lame. Embarassing to watch.

Nert

I'd probably feel as agitated by the VGAs as Jeff is if they actually pulled in a larger, and more mainstream, audience (that might associate that garbage with all "gamers"). Because the show is so obscure, it seems more sensible to mock it and attempt to draw attention to other, already existing award shows instead.

The point about a lack of recognizable celebrities in the gaming industry is an interesting one to ponder, though. Is that the key element that prevents a wider audience from caring about game awards? Would it actually be healthy for the industry to start cultivating and promoting gaming "celebrities?" The thought of TMZ or some other insipid show dedicating a segment to the Bioware co-founders or whoever is kind of frightening.

Top Bottom