• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast on PS4 runs at 1080p/60fps

Ocaso

I don't know why any PC gamers have their panties in a bunch over similar performance between PS4 and PC. You know it's not going to last, just like every other generation where consoles started at near upper PC levels. This time it's not even "upper PC levels" as the starting point.

Yes console players are loving the fact that they're getting "1080p on ultra" level graphics and sometimes at near 60fps, but that doesn't mean your next PC upgrade you buy later this year or next year won't completely decimate all consoles in performance.

This is always a 5-7 year cycle where console players get near PC-level performance for the first year or so of the new console and eventually regular gaming PC's obliterate all consoles during the later years of the 5-7 year generation.

Let people enjoy their 1080p/60fps performance news.

"Obliterate"? That's somewhat generous. PCs are always home to better performing versions of games designed for consoles, but the insecurity appears to come from the fact that PCs do NOT obliterate consoles, especially at the cost:performance ratio. The $400 machine from 2005 runs 2013's Black Flag, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Diablo 3 quite well. Sure, not nearly as pretty as the monster rigs of today, but not bad looking either, unless you're part of a "sharp knees" kind of crowd. The fact that a recent $400 machine is at least the equal of far more expensive PC rigs, and with launch software to boot, calls into question the wisdom of the PC expense, which I suspect fuels all the misguided obnoxiousness.

Edit: In any case, great news about Outlast! If stereo 3D actually makes the cut, it's bound to be amazing at 60fps.

MadSexual

It's hyprocrisy at its finest. As a PC gamer myself, I'm really glad to see 1080p 60fps on PS4 and it's my console of choice. I hope we'll get that performance from those great japanese games that unfortunately don't find their way to PC and will be my main reason to buy a PS4.

The Phantom Pain at 60fps will be amazing. I wish FFXV was 60fps too.

I've always made a big deal about framerate and complained about console performance, but if we're getting 60fps on consoles now, why the fuck would I find another reason to complain? And I say that having played Outlast at 1440p and 60fps, so this is not even on par with the one I played, but it's great news anyway.
I feel exactly the same way. I'm currently PC only and game at 1440, but there could EASILY be a day I want a PS4, and when I get it, I'll hope to play games that meet the native res on my TV at a framerate that doesn't feel like a slideshow. It isn't that devs CAN'T do this; the big ones just aren't, as Amir0x said on the last page. I want 1080/60 much more than I want deep bokeh that looks nothing like an eye sees the world or a million volumetric columns. The PS4 is plenty capable of that, so I hope more devs target it.

Clean(ish) looping version someone made:
ZDkebTX.gif

Also posting to confirm the .GIF was deserved in this situation. Well played VanWinkle.
This is a pretty sweet gif. What's the original source? I really wanna hear what that kid said! lol

BraXzy

Currently playing through this on PC with my GF watching and jumping constantly. I'm fine with movies but the interactive aspect of these make me tense as hell!

Someone needs to sticky a post that details what goes into determining resolution in console games. These threads are still useful because they tell us what to expect from a product, but almost all of the derailments come from people spouting off about technical things they don't even have a basic understanding of and have only heard about being topical and, in many cases, are simply memes. That includes the PC trolls in the thread. Owning a performance GPU does not entail that you know how it works and why your visuals are better. All of this is making technical discussions across the site acerbic.

Quoted the wrong post?

I was simply expressing my happiness that PS4 is performing better than a lot of people, myself included, were expecting before it launched. Not starting any fights or anything.

MadSexual

Quoted the wrong post?

I was simply expressing my happiness that PS4 is performing better than a lot of people, myself included, were expecting before it launched. Not starting any fights or anything.
No, I meant to quote you, but I meant to express a general agreement with you about what you said while also addressing your point about people speculating about the console's capabilities days ago being off-target. Apologies if it sounded like any kind of attack on you.

My point was that this discussion and the one you referenced are very much fueled by ignorance and misinformation by, what I can only assume, are people who feel the need to participate despite not understanding the subject very well -- hence the memes and derails. Sorry if that was unclear; I probably could have been more articulate.

No, I meant to quote you, but I meant to express a general agreement with you about what you said while also addressing your point about people speculating about the console's capabilities days ago being off-target. Apologies if it sounded like any kind of attack on you.

My point was that this discussion and the one you referenced are very much fueled by ignorance and misinformation by, what I can only assume, are people who feel the need to participate despite not understanding the subject very well -- hence the memes and derails. Sorry if that was unclear; I probably could have been more articulate.

Ahh no worries. Sometimes I post things that seem neutral but can be taken negatively since they're just letters on a screen.

I agree though. I think I used to argue with Durante a lot back in the day till I realized that he's actually quite knowledgeable in the area of graphics tech.

Kolgar

PS4 keeps delivering.

I just finished the game on PC. Good game, was a breath of fresh air that truly delivered the frights. Might have outstayed its welcome a little, but all in all, it is one of the more memorable games I've played in the last year.

60fps and 3D would make this game a knockout.

Kinthalis

Banned
"Obliterate"? That's somewhat generous. PCs are always home to better performing versions of games designed for consoles, but the insecurity appears to come from the fact that PCs do NOT obliterate consoles, especially at the cost:performance ratio. The $400 machine from 2005 runs 2013's Black Flag, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Diablo 3 quite well. Sure, not nearly as pretty as the monster rigs of today, but not bad looking either, unless you're part of a "sharp knees" kind of crowd. The fact that a recent $400 machine is at least the equal of far more expensive PC rigs, and with launch software to boot, calls into question the wisdom of the PC expense, which I suspect fuels all the misguided obnoxiousness.

Edit: In any case, great news about Outlast! If stereo 3D actually makes the cut, it's bound to be amazing at 60fps.

THIS is a example of the issue PC gamers have with some of you. The PS4 is NOT in any way shape or form more powerful or capable than a "Much more expnsive PC" Unless wiht "much more expensive PC" you mean a $150 or thereabout more expensive PC.

Also I doubt theya re goign to run the game at 60 FPS in 3D, without trimming down a LOT of stuff in game.

And yes, this game is awesome. Lots of great scares and genuinely creepy moments.

Wait what? Can anyone confirm this is the case? I thought it was free for US as well, but if not, I will purchase it.

We're getting it for free (I think). However, it might not be next month. SCEA still hasn't confirmed it. For instance, SCEE is giving out BioShock Infinite next moth for PS+. SCEA already gave it out earlier this month. So, until SCEA says Outlast is coming out next month for free on PS+ any discussion about its release is just speculation.

The offerings started out somewhat similar, but eventually began to differ much more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(PAL_region)

There are some games on the PAL list that still have not come to NA. I just hope Outlast does not become one of those games.

KoopaTheCasual

Big fish eat little fish.

How the fuck do you think Wii owners felt last gen.
It's one thing to compare a home console to a home console, but comparing PCs to consoles is as dumb as comparing consoles to handhelds. Imagine if some idiot wandered into a 3DS thread, for a game that (for the system) looked amazing? People would be so psyched, and then you'd get one smart-ass saying, "Pfft, if you guys really cared about graphics, you'd step it up to a PS4!" Like, completely irrelevant and has zero contextual importance. Different audience, different purpose of device, different portability, different everything.
This is a pretty sweet gif. What's the original source? I really wanna hear what that kid said! lol
Lol, you'll be surprised how weird the source is. The original video went down a long time ago, but this repost is already really popular.

slapnuts

The lesson of this thread, once again, is that a surprisingly large percentage of PC gamers on GAF are fucking unbearable.

Another thread derailed by PC elitists, this is ridiculous.

Can't wait to play this game next week, though I'll probably shit my pants 60 times per second.

Sounds good to me.

It's goddamn ridiculous; I wish the mods would permaban this nonsense, it's deteriorating gaming side.

You know..the biggest reason why biased PC gamers do this is because the root of it all boils down to them missing out on a lot of console exclusives that never come to the PC platform. Just ignore it guys...nothing will ever change most of them.

Although there are some PC gamers that also love console gaming so not all PC gamers are like this...its sad that some PC gamers give PC gamers a bad rep....as a long time PC gamer myself I would be a fool to say that PC gaming meets all of my gaming needs. There is way to many kick ass console games that won't ever see the light of day on PC. I guess this is why you see so many uptight snotty PC gamers trying to derail console threads like this and not just in Gaf but just about all gaming message boards because they know they are missing out on some bad ass games, the games that do not make it over to the PC platform so they just take jabs when ever they can..such as this thread.

But hey...who are the ones really missing out on the best of what gaming has to offer? Fortunately for me as a PC gamer that loves console gaming just as much..gets the best of both worlds..kinda amazes me why they cannot see this...smh

You know it's not going to last, just like every other generation where consoles started at near upper PC levels. This time it's not even "upper PC levels" as the starting point.

I think 1st party comparisons will hang in for quite awhile this gen, maybe even longer than usual. This is the first time the architecture is more or less homogenous across every platform, and the studios who get to really tinker low level are going to have an interesting edge for several years. Resolutions won't keep up, as usual, but per pixel is a different story.

Nvzman

Is this game actually scary? Some people say it isn't then some people say it is.
For reference the only game I've ever played (I've played Dead Space and the like) that was genuinely scary to me was Amnesia. And maybe a little of System Shock 2.

I was thinking... Does 3D really make sense if the idea is you're looking at everything through a NV camera?

Ah fuck it who cares, 3D is awesome

FranXico

As far as I know, PS+ games are only available to you for as long as you have PS+. If you no longer have it, you can't download it. That's quite different from having a game for the forseeable future.

For the cost of one year rental(actually 15 months per Gamescom promotion), I already got more great games than time to play them. I will manage to play them all within remaining 11 months of my rental, though. Don't worry.

If I subscribe again (which is very likely at this moment), it will be for the next incoming games, not just to hold on to the previously rented ones.

had this on my laptop but never finished it, Got near the end I think so it will be nice to play it on my ps4 at full pelt for free aswell which is absurdingly good!

DukeBobby

Is this game actually scary? Some people say it isn't then some people say it is.
For reference the only game I've ever played (I've played Dead Space and the like) that was genuinely scary to me was Amnesia. And maybe a little of System Shock 2.

It's scary for a while, at least. However, the game relies too much on jump scares, which are often pretty predictable.

Also, you're never in much danger of dying because the enemies run much slower than you do, although they are apparently faster and more aggressive on Nightmare difficulty, which I haven't played.

Shoyz

IMO: It's a cheese-fest after it overstays it's welcome an hour in. Might be scary to Paranormal Activity fans but if you're looking for another Amnesia you're going to be disappointed. Set expectations to 'Bad B-Movie'.

Melchiah

As far as I know, PS+ games are only available to you for as long as you have PS+. If you no longer have it, you can't download it. That's quite different from having a game for the forseeable future.

You can download all the games from your list again once you re-sub. I did so with Burnout: Paradise City, which was offered during the free month after the PSN was down, eventhough I was without subscription for about half a year inbetween.

Don't Starve is leaving PS+ on Feb4th in NA. I would assume this will take it's place.

It's odd, that Outlast is going to be the only game available for the PS4 once the previous offerings are removed. I expected Resogun to stay there longer. Perhaps Driveclub, or something else, is coming there sooner than we think? One can hope.

Codiox

So you really want to be taking on and off glasses during gameplay? Breaks the immersion, don't you think?

Lol you never used stereoscopic 3d ,did you? You can make 2d pics in 3d still 2d by just not shifting both images away from each other. The actual 3d "depth" is only defined by the delta between two pictures.if its 0 there is no depth.this means no 3d effect.

It's odd, that Outlast is going to be the only game available for the PS4 once the previous offerings are removed. I expected Resogun to stay there longer. Perhaps Driveclub, or something else, is coming there sooner than we think? One can hope.

Resogun should be there for a long while seeing as it's a Sony IP. they don't need to negotiate for an extended PS+ time. I'm actually surprised other games like flow, flower, and escape plan haven't gone up yet.

BigDug13

Why are you attempting to counter my plea to PC gamers who are insecure by launching your own attack that comes off as insecurity from the console side?

Eusis

Dunno if my PC runs it at 60 stably, maybe if I compromise on some settings. Great to know though, especially as this is my logic for a PS4 now then a computer upgrade further on.

Vooduu

I already know what to expect yet I'm still scared to play the game on the PS4.

Too much running from big dudes calling you little piggy :(

Top Bottom