• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlets start receiving their PS5 review hardware

Azurro

Banned
(He apologized for that on a dedicated vid on the usual channel for which he, in my eyes, displayed the spine I miss from other internet personalities. Sandal'n'Socks wearing cunt)

Oh, I definitely like that about him, he actually went and apologized, which is way more earnest and mature than 99% of all the shitty internet personalities.

He still went off live to an audience of millions and got on a twitter spat with the actual Tim Sweeney because of really petty PC Master Race reasons, so he really can't expect to be on the good side of either of these companies for a while, even with the apology.

notseqi

Oh, I definitely like that about him, he actually went and apologized, which is way more earnest and mature than 99% of all the shitty internet personalities.

He still went off live to an audience of millions and got on a twitter spat with the actual Tim Sweeney because of really petty PC Master Race reasons, so he really can't expect to be on the good side of either of these companies for a while, even with the apology.
I am wondering how he is still getting samples while regularly shitting on every major company under the sun.
Some people here seem to dislike the guy but I think he is factual and sincere and his vids trim a lot of fat other people do.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are you denying the fact that the Series X has 30% more active CUs?
No, I did not deny that XSX has more CUs.

So with this 30% CU count advantage. I'd be interested to hear how you think this will play out in real-life game performance. What metrics should we look for as evidence that having more CUs is worth bragging about (in isolation).

notseqi

No, I did not deny that XSX has more CUs.

So with this 30% CU count advantage. I'd be interested to hear how you think this will play out in real-life game performance. What metrics should we look for as evidence that having more CUs is worth bragging about (in isolation).
something something flippy flops

Could it be that we're running into PCMR territory here? Games are developed for the lowest common denominator and ported up to more capable architecture. Developers are probably shrugging at performance differences.

Azurro

Banned
I am wondering how he is still getting samples while regularly shitting on every major company under the sun.
Some people here seem to dislike the guy but I think he is factual and sincere and his vids trim a lot of fat other people do.

I agree, he is almost always factual and honest, his channel is one of my favorite channels on YouTube.

The difference this time is that every time he shits on a company, it's usually because of something factual, and he's not irrational about it.

His error this time was that he actually went and called Tim Sweeney a paid shill and shat on the PS5's I/O subsystem without understanding it, and the reason was that he simply couldn't believe a console had something as performant as that. He even went on Twitter and got in a "fight" about it. That literally never happens with any of the other companies he's criticized before.

notseqi

[...]and the reason was that he simply couldn't believe a console had something as performant as that. He even went on Twitter and got in a "fight" about it. That literally never happens with any of the other companies he's criticized before.

Shitposting while drunk, we've all been there.

Are you denying the fact that the Series X has 30% more active CUs?

Are you going to admit to the fact that you don't know what that means?

Teraflops have never been an accurate measurement of GPU performance, Fill Rate used to be the way you defined which GPU was more powerful, Fill rate defines how many pixels the GPU can push to screen, the PS5 GPU has a 22% advantage in Fill rate performance due to the fact that the GPU's have the same number of ROPS (64) and ROPS x Clock Speed = Fill Rate.

There are other performance metrics that are more important than Teraflops, Rasterisation for example, how many triangles can be drawn by the GPU - the PS5 GPU has a 21% advantage over the XSX GPU in this regard as well.

Culling rate also see's a 20+% performance advantage on the PS5 - this defines whether the polygons can be seen on screen or not.

In terms of Rasterisation & Culling the PS5 also has some advanced features which are RDNA 3.0 Roadmap features, which are the Geometry Engine and the Cache Scrubbers which will both increase that 20% advantage significantly.

The Xbox Series X GPU is only better on paper in terms of Teraflops, Texture Fill Rate & Ray Triangle Interactions in which it holds a 16% advantage for all 3.

Some game engines will perform better on Xbox, some on PS5, but the games that perform better on PS5 will perform noticeably better where as it will be a much smaller gap when it's the other way around.

LordOfChaos

No, in terms of CU count the gap is closer to 30%. And considering these are APUs on the same nominal architecture, CU comparisons are more telling than teraflop comparisons.

"The 8th gen and 9th gen both have 8 cores, so there's no gap" is effectively the same as saying this. You also have to account for the clock speed on the same GPU architecture, and potential differences in keeping execution hardware filled, etc.

The ROP count is also the same while being clocked higher on PS5, higher pixel rate, while the X has more TMUs, higher texture rate, and 17% higher peak shader throughput accounting for CUs and clock speed. Expect more of a small edge and more of a mixed bag than the XBO/PS4 or Pro/One X is what I've always been saying.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
So the difference comes down to:

Ps5 slightly smaller pizza but more often and faster. With fresh veg and while cooked meats.

XBS slightly bigger pizza but less often and slower. With processed meats and frozen veg.
tenor.gif

Kenpachii

ROFL you do know that the people who already got their hands on an Xbox SX also signed an NDA right? ROFL

ROFL my aren't you a bright one ROFL

Imagine thinking that this is acceptable because "xbox also does this". Is that the defense you got really? what a joke.

It's a thread about sony so i adres sony about it. Should be obvious to anybody that isn't blinded by fanboy rage. Guess i triggered a lot of you holy shit.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Imagine thinking that this is acceptable because "xbox also does this". Is that the defense you got really? what a joke.

It's a thread about sony so i adres sony about it. Should be obvious to anybody that isn't blinded by fanboy rage. Guess i triggered a lot of you holy shit.

Ok, of course you have the posts where you are mocking the NDA on the XSX preview units or do you only do that in PS threads... eh 🤔?

Calm down the unboxings will happen tomorrow. I don't really think it'd a big deal though I prefer hands on with the games and the actual system. Which we will get soon.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
But there are more on the Xbox SX, so it scales exponentially compared to clock speed.

Exponentially? Cue Princess Bride meme.

FLOPS is just a matter of num of CUs and clock speed when talking about the same architecture. You can have four lanes of 100 cars per minute or 10 lanes of 40 cars per minute. The oversimplification breaks down a bit when talking about latency and efficiency of the parallelism.

Yeah Gears is all played out, Gears 5 was probably the weakest story of all the Gears games and it relied on a pretty heavy twist, i cant see how i'd be excited to play that again with SSR enabled.

Exponentially? Cue Princess Bride meme.

FLOPS is just a matter of num of CUs and clock speed when talking about the same architecture. You can have four lanes of 100 cars per minute or 10 lanes of 40 cars per minute. The oversimplification breaks down a bit when talking about latency and efficiency of the parallelism.
I tell you, do your research, clocks beyond 1.8ghz don't scale on GPU... The extra TFs from more MHz just aren't really there. This is well documented and self evident.

I can't find it now,but there was a GDC talk about this very topic a while ago.

I legit don't get why people like Gears so much. Some of the most antiquated, boring shooter gameplay there is. The set piece moments are crap, and I hated them introducing them at all in part 2, they turned it into this dumb variety shooter in that installment and kept with that after. The story is pure dogshit. The "challenge" is basically if the game is on hard that means some enemies one shot kill you cheaply and the rest are just more bullet spongy which doesn't matter because they never flank or push you out of your safety of cover. What a fucking boring franchise, I tried getting into it again with 4 and 5... holy shit what slogs those games are.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I tell you, do your research, clocks beyond 1.8ghz don't scale on GPU... The extra TFs from more MHz just aren't really there. This is well documented and self evident.

I can't find it now,but there was a GDC talk about this very topic a while ago.

This is just nonsense. You do realize the clock speeds for the new RDNA2 gpus are over 2Ghz right? Performance scales linearly with clock speed, always has. MS just trades clock rate for CUs since they have a power and heat budget.

sinnergy

That's been shown to not matter as much. It's how fast you fill-up the CUs that can dictate performance.
Right ... that’s why the top end AMD cards have 80 CU’s ?? Instead of those 80 they could have used 60 at 2.5 GHz?

Last edited:

IDappa

I legit don't get why people like Gears so much. Some of the most antiquated, boring shooter gameplay there is. The set piece moments are crap, and I hated them introducing them at all in part 2, they turned it into this dumb variety shooter in that installment and kept with that after. The story is pure dogshit. The "challenge" is basically if the game is on hard that means some enemies one shot kill you cheaply and the rest are just more bullet spongy which doesn't matter because they never flank or push you out of your safety of cover. What a fucking boring franchise, I tried getting into it again with 4 and 5... holy shit what slogs those games are.
People like the lore, gore and tbh the basics of the gameplay is fairly unique. There really isn't a game like it. Unfortunately it seems over time it has suffered from microsoft pushing to many out and people are getting tired of the formula, it does not help that multiplayer has a very high skill gap so it is not very beginner friendly. Which is a shame as I do love gears, multiplayer is definitely why I personally enjoy it. I have always finished the single player and found it great.

Tbh sounds like you just don't like gears of war at all. Considering you played gears 2 didn't like it and then wrote off the rest I wouldn't trust your opinion. Easy to their own I suppose.

People like the lore, gore and tbh the basics of the gameplay is fairly unique. There really isn't a game like it. Unfortunately it seems over time it has suffered from microsoft pushing to many out and people are getting tired of the formula, it does not help that multiplayer has a very high skill gap so it is not very beginner friendly. Which is a shame as I do love gears, multiplayer is definitely why I personally enjoy it. I have always finished the single player and found it great.

Tbh sounds like you just don't like gears of war at all. Considering you played gears 2 didn't like it and then wrote off the rest I wouldn't trust your opinion. Easy to their own I suppose.

What does not trust my opinion mean? I like shooters to have more mobility to them and less time spent sitting behind a piece of cover. This video is pretty much the problem with the game on actually challenging difficulties, to be fair these guys seem to enjoy it but what they're going through is exactly why I think the game is shite, it might be funny with a friend but it's not well designed or FUN...

Top Bottom