• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 1 million PS4 sold in France

Bousf

According to this, as of October 15th the total sales of PS4 in Spain are 360k with a ratio of 7:1 against Xbone.
7:1!?!? I knew Spain was Sony territory but that is some huge difference, if the PS4 had sold here 360k by October, we should be close to hitting the 500k mark now, we may get a Spanish sales update after the Christmas holiday to see how things stand :)

ClearData

I can see why Microsoft is hell bent on a draw in the United States and United Kingdom. The rest of the world is team blue.

Valkyria

Banned
7:1!?!? I knew Spain was Sony territory but that is some huge difference, if the PS4 had sold here 360k by October, we should be close to hitting the 500k mark now, we may get a Spanish sales update after the Christmas holiday to see how things stand :)

Probably after "reyes" (6th of January). I read that 500K was the estimation by that day according to Sony Iberia.

If PS4 can maintain the lead in Europe, Asia and just maintain parity with MS in the US, they will easily dominate the next few years.

Bousf

Probably after "reyes" (6th of January). I read that 500K was the estimation by that day according to Sony Iberia.
Great then, that way they can count all the PS4s that will be gifts for that day :)
I hope it reaches half a million by then, or at least 450k.

Caronte

I think so too. It's crazy how many ads I'm watching on TV lately. Christmas numbers should be pretty good.

Loudninja

According to this, as of October 15th the total sales of PS4 in Spain are 360k with a ratio of 7:1 against Xbone.
USA
PS4: ~5.65 million
Xbone ~4.90 million
WiiU: ~3.09 million

Alright thanks!

US:
PS4:5.65 million
Xbone:4.90 million
WiiU:3.09 million

Japan:
PS4:906.566
Xbox One: 41.212
WiiU: 2.061.316

UK:
PS4: 1 million* as of September*
Xbox One:1 million *as of November *

Spain:
PS4: 360k
Xbox One:35k *not updated*

France:
PS4: 1.000.000
Wii U: 490.000
Xbox One:126.201*2013 numbers*

AU:
PS4: 200k atleast
Xbox One:65.917*first 3 days*

Germany:
PS4: 1 million
XB1: 170.000*not updated*

Portugal:Old launch numbers
PS4:21k

Moonstone

Exactly, it would need several years maybe decades for MS to be as well known as Playstation or even Nintendo here.

Nobody denies that there is brand loyalty due to historic reasons.
But If you only look at this through the xy-land glasses you won't see the differences that eventually lead to a stronger brand loyalty. There was also a time when people called consoles "A Nintendo". Sony changed that pretty fast. Not only because they had the better console. Sony had big offices in all countries back then and they managed cater to the small cultural differences and treat all markets well.

For instance:

-In germany most 360 exclusive were not released (which wasn't MS' fault) or released for PC too. While the 360 definitly had great exclusives in the first years - that was not the case for the german gamer
-Portugal is a small market. It has only 2 million more inhabitants than NY. While MS didn't even bother with translating their OS - Sony did full voice overs for games like Uncharted
-Sony has been advertising in CL and also FIFA Events for years
-XBL wasn't available in a lot of smaller countries or came really late
-Sony has a lot of european studios

The way how MS handled the EU launch was ridiculous but exemplary. Tier 2 countries. Or that they still force you to use game language of your marketplace. Irish aren't allowed to use Kinect voice recognition if they don't move virtually to the UK. In Austria you can't use german for Kinect because Austria has no voice support. Not even english. And so on.

If they would have handled it different, it wouldn't have turned the tide instantly. But you have to show good will to gain brand loyalty - it takes some time. MS is still completly ignoring europe. This whole language-marketplace thing has no point at all and everyone hates it. But they are still going like "Huh we have different languages in US, who cares about There-be-Dragons-Land?". It wouldn't even take a big effort to change this.

360 did well in europe, even if it was beaten by the PS3. It could have sold a lot better, if they had put a bigger focus on the different EU countries.
"They can never win europa because it's Playstation Land!" isn't an attidude that helps.

pompidu

Yeah well France has bad taste so it makes sense they'd buy 1 million of them.

7EP5GEw.gif

I thought the Wii U would be performing better in France because they seem to love their Nintendo games. That would be one of the Wii U's strongest markets right? Impressive that the PS4 has doubled the Wii U sales in half the time.

Occam

They are just better at seeing through shitty anti-consumer product in sheep's clothing ;) that's why they also have better consumer protection laws.

I agree with this. It seems all it takes to trigger instant memory loss in the USA is a sale.

Javin98

Banned
I really hope Sony announces their worldwide number soon. It's no doubt passed 15 million, but I want to know by how much.
Based on all the information we have in this thread, my estimations put the PS4 at ~17-18 million right now. It'd be interesting to see if it can reach 20 million by early January next year.

I thought the Wii U would be performing better in France because they seem to love their Nintendo games. That would be one of the Wii U's strongest markets right? Impressive that the PS4 has doubled the Wii U sales in half the time.

France is probably Wii U's strongest European market. I think Nintendo should invest more into European markets.

the Wii U only looks comparatively impressive in France/Germany because the rest of Europe is absolutely terrible, Nintendo consoles never had much of a foothold in Europe as a whole except for the Wii

(now 3DS on the other hand....for France at least)

(...)
The way how MS handled the EU launch was ridiculous but exemplary. Tier 2 countries. Or that they still force you to use game language of your marketplace. Irish aren't allowed to use Kinect voice recognition if they don't move virtually to the UK. In Austria you can't use german for Kinect because Austria has no voice support. Not even english. And so on.
This really is pure comedy gold. Good old Microsoft...

Game4life

Banned
Yeah seeing these numbers this generation is over. Done and dusted.

1. PS4
2. Xbox One
3. WiiU

Anyone expecting a different victory list this generation are really deluding themselves. I wonder if Sony will even be motivated to cut price to take back monthly leads in North America or wait it for a few months even at the risk of conceding marketshare at NA because worldwide results will always be in PS4's favor.

Caddle

Yeah seeing these numbers this generation is over. Done and dusted.

1. PS4
2. Xbox One
3. WiiU

Anyone expecting a different victory list this generation are really deluding themselves. I wonder if Sony will even be motivated to cut price to take back monthly leads in North America or wait it for a few months even at the risk of conceding marketshare at NA because worldwide results will always be in PS4's favor.
I hope you wasnt calling the 360 numbers a victory for Microsoft in the first year.

I hope you wasnt calling the 360 numbers a victory for Microsoft in the first year.

The reason the PS3 was able to close the gap was due to it performing notably better than the 360 in EU and Japan.

XB1 was struggling to remain on par with PS4 in the US and UK, is getting handily outsold in the EU and is irrelevant in Japan.

Tell me how is XB1 going to close the gap?

Top Bottom