• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 180 games have confirmed to support the DualSense

John Wick

That's the PS5 controller that comes with the console, right? So how could they not support it, lol.
Maybe learn to read first and understand what is being stated?
Looks like crow has been served to quite a few doubters and haters. Just a gimmick? Only PS 1st party will support said features?
Now the competitor is asking it's fans if they want the same features in their next controller.

John Wick

uhm... "Support the dualsense" literally means that they at least support the HD rumble feature it has... which is EVERY GAME... that's not hard to support.
by that logic every game on Switch supports the JoyCons... what a dumb thread and tweet
Pot Kettle Black?

yurinka

That doesn’t make any sense. Playstation doesn’t force Dualsense feature integration for multiplatform games. Bad post
How are you supposed to play without a Dualsense? As I remember still aren't camera only/VR/playlink native PS5 games, so all released games until now require a Dualsense to work.

They just add haptic feedback and/or adaptive triggers to normal stuff like shooting or surfaces, they don't build games around it like Astros Playroom.
Yes, which I think it's what makes sense. Not all games need to make full use of all these features, and specially multiplatform games have to be ready to work without all these features in other controllers.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Like them in ratchet and clank but hate them in a shooter. Hearing more and more stories about broken controllers doesn’t help much too (new gamesack ep even mentions in lol).

Hope v2 is more refined.

I really love the resistive triggers... however I would have taken a longer lasting battery also... like, put a 3000Mah battery in the controllers and be done with it, batteries are cheaper and cheaper.

Boglin

I really love the resistive triggers... however I would have taken a longer lasting battery also... like, put a 3000Mah battery in the controllers and be done with it, batteries are cheaper and cheaper.
I agree and it was definitely possible for them to fit a bigger battery inside.
@KuraiShidosha
@Bo_Hazem
I haven't haven't had time to do any long term tests and I'm not being super accurate with recording my findings but here is my update for the battery mod I did. I have been playing Demon Souls and got 10+ hours with the stock battery and am getting 20+ with my mod, as I expected.
The new battery weighs 50g compared to the stock 27g. I didn't have to cut anything inside the controller to make the new battery fit but I did install the stock battery's board onto the new battery in order to keep the 3 wire connection with thermistor. You can see my new battery vs the stock with and without its plastic enclosure to understand how I am fitting a battery that is so much bigger inside.
wxc9mLZ.jpg

4OJBASG.jpg

L6CsRzi.jpg

fcLbyk1.jpg

MmVsabY.jpg

Lq6bpec.jpg

AneAB1D.jpg

Rayderism

When I first experienced the DS5 controller, I thought the haptic triggers were kind of cool, but initially thought the rumble was just variations of a buzzing sensation. As I played more games, I realized just how much better the DS5's rumble haptics actually are. I was playing the PS5 version of Hot Wheels and when an AI car slammed me, I was really impressed with how the controller conveyed that thump. I was also impressed with how the DS5 emulates the DS4's relatively simplistic form of rumble so exactly when playing PS4 games and then I realized the DS5 rumble haptics were a lot more complex than I initially thought.

I'm still on the fence about the triggers though. While it's kinda cool, it seems like it could cause some finger fatigue if overused. And I saw the tear-down videos on how the haptic triggers work and it just looks like a mechanism that will destroy itself over time. Those plastic gears WILL eventually wear out, especially that spiral gear. Some 3rd-party could make a killing selling replacement trigger modules that replaced all that plastic gearing with metal.

Last edited:
You mean source of people making the claims that it is a gimmick that only first party will use? I've read that many times on these forums in the past.
No the press stating that. I hate haptics so I probably would of remembered it if I seen it. I don't recall anyone of any importance stating only first party will use it.
Edit
I recall most press being quite impressed by it actually. It's just not for me.

Last edited:

FrankWza

No the press stating that. I hate haptics so I probably would of remembered it if I seen it. I don't recall anyone of any importance stating only first party will use it.

-but if there's a drawback to the controller, it's that so many of its features seem like they might not get much use on a broad swathe of games--especially if those games are available on multiple platforms.

-That will only happen if developers embrace the hardware, though--and there hasn't been a great track record in that regard over the last two generations. If you're picking up a PS5, you should play Astro's Playroom and see what some of this next-gen tech is capable of delivering, because the DualSense is an intriguing and fresh bit of video game hardware. Hopefully its features will see wide adoption as we enter the PS5 generation.

-but if there's a drawback to the controller, it's that so many of its features seem like they might not get much use on a broad swathe of games--especially if those games are available on multiple platforms.

-That will only happen if developers embrace the hardware, though--and there hasn't been a great track record in that regard over the last two generations. If you're picking up a PS5, you should play Astro's Playroom and see what some of this next-gen tech is capable of delivering, because the DualSense is an intriguing and fresh bit of video game hardware. Hopefully its features will see wide adoption as we enter the PS5 generation.
That seems awfully positive and hopeful. I don't believe this is saying what I've asked.

ahtlas7

I love the feedback and resistance triggers. Different feel for partial and full trigger pull is awesome.

Wish Ubisoft had put some effort into using the controller for Valhalla.

Yes, which I think it's what makes sense. Not all games need to make full use of all these features, and specially multiplatform games have to be ready to work without all these features in other controllers.
You just can't, even Sony's own crossgen games won't make full use of it because of PS4. I don't think we will see many games that were made with those gimmicks in mind, like let's say blowing into the 3DS or closing it to solve a riddle. Some added effects for sure, but nothing that affects gameplay.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

You just can't, even Sony's own crossgen games won't make full use of it because of PS4. I don't think we will see many games that were made with those gimmicks in mind, like let's say blowing into the 3DS or closing it to solve a riddle. Some added effects for sure, but nothing that affects gameplay.
Do the games not work then if you turn off the DS features from the PS5 menu?

FranXico

PS4 versions of first party cross-gen games don't use adaptive triggers, and haptics degrade to regular rumble instead.
The PS5 versions of those games do use the controller features.

Do the games not work then if you turn off the DS features from the PS5 menu?
They do and that's why there most likely won't be any groundbreaking games that are completely designed around / rely on the gimmicks. For example let's just say you play in a completeley dark level and you can only use the haptics to feel where you are going. Most likely not gonna happen and for sure not with 3rd party games.
PS4 versions of first party cross-gen games don't use adaptive triggers, and haptics degrade to regular rumble instead.
The PS5 versions of those games do use the controller features.
I know, that's my point.

Kataploom

Gold Member
How is it different from Switch HD Rumble? Is it just stronger? Because what I like of Switch rumble is that it's more subtile than other controllers rumble... I used to hate rumble in general until I got a Switch

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

How is it different from Switch HD Rumble? Is it just stronger? Because what I like of Switch rumble is that it's more subtile than other controllers rumble... I used to hate rumble in general until I got a Switch
3 years of refinement plus they are used in conjuction with the triggers and controller speaker,Digital Foundry said themselves it was hard to defnire.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All PS5 games use a controller .... so all games for PS5 will support it. This does not necessary mean that they use the features it has.
Do not pretend not to know what supporting Dual Sense means…

Appropriate use of haptics feedback, dynamic rumble and resistance in the triggers, etc… stuff that changes gameplay interactions.

Beechos

Its cool that the dual sense features are being utilized but besides from astrobot everything ive played has used it pretty generically/lazily. I just beat farcry 6 and hardly noticed it.

Last edited:
It's not hard to understand. From what I've heard and read, the controller has been utilized really well in a handful of games, but in most games it's more of a gimmick rather than a core must-have feature. This is also what I expected it to be from the beginning. But since I haven't tried it, I'm not gonna rate it yet because that would be silly.

MikeM

It's not hard to understand. From what I've heard and read, the controller has been utilized really well in a handful of games, but in most games it's more of a gimmick rather than a core must-have feature. This is also what I expected it to be from the beginning. But since I haven't tried it, I'm not gonna rate it yet because that would be silly.
I have it. Tried it in games like Doom Eternal, Metro Exodus, Returnal, COD CW etc and its not a gimmick.
Now, if you are the type to hate rumble in general, then you’ll likely hate this.

Beechos

Play more games :D. Ghost of Tsushima, Returnal, R&C, etc…
Havent played ghost on ps5 did that on ps4. Beat ratchet and clank, still working on returnal here and there. Dont recall any memorable use for either game besides the adpative trigger for shooting and speaker for the occasional sound clip.

Top Bottom