• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch: Sombra and Arcade mode now live for all platforms

Syntax

Supposedly she will be similar and perform the same role but her kit is being restructured. As it stands she is the only character that straight up stops building ultimate at a certain point. She needs a change to her teleport, either two ult or something else. Her turrets leave something to be desired as well.

Still think they should just copy Combat Girl's kit from Super Monday Night Combat. She was fun to play and lines up enough with Symmetra that it wouldn't feel like a totally new character (imho, of course).

Limiting hero stacking to their arcade mode is such a bummer.

I'll play quick play to fuck around without any rules.

Want a serious game where everyone's playing to win every round? Go play competitive where everyone takes everything seriously.
This may surprise you, but the game didn't launch with competitive mode

I'm sorry if the change has drastically affected how you play Overwatch but the idea that playing the game as designed is some elitist mentality is ridiculous. You still have the option to play a mode with no limits in Arcade, and if for some reason it becomes hard to find games there it's probably because the majority of the userbase doesn't actually care

I prefer Quick Play because I don't get locked into a match for 20+ minutes

Izayoi

Banned
Getting rid of hero stacking in QP will actually make it viable as a warm-up/off-season practice mode (less of a big deal now that there's a competitive queue in off-season, but still nice when the season is in session).

To be honest, it was unplayable trash before. A great change IMO.

Syntax

This may surprise you, but the game didn't launch with competitive mode

I'm sorry if the change has drastically affected how you play Overwatch but the idea that playing the game as designed is some elitist mentality is ridiculous. You still have the option to play a mode with no limits in Arcade, and if for some reason it becomes hard to find games there it's probably because the majority of the userbase doesn't actually care

I prefer Quick Play because I don't get locked into a match for 20+ minutes

Right. That's why I prefer Quick Play as well. And the new limits on QP aren't going to have a huge impact if personal experience is anything to go by. Most matches I've played people don't stack heroes, anyway.

But it is eliminating the spontaneity of lol-hero-stacking matches that would come up sometimes. I usually enjoyed those moments. Can't be spontaneous if one has to specifically queue into No Limits.

In any case, I also don't think the imposed hero limits change the seriousness of QP. It's not suddenly going to be Competitive Play Light (in that people aren't forced to take it seriously or play competitively).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
With hero stacking gone Ill actually play quickplay now.

Theres nothing fun about facing multiple Bastions.

Still think they should just copy Combat Girl's kit from Super Monday Night Combat. She was fun to play and lines up enough with Symmetra that it wouldn't feel like a totally new character (imho, of course).

Ehh, I think she has some good concept, but bad implementation.

I'd like to see her shield mechanic reworked to almost match her turret mechanic.

As in, give her 3 charges on spawn, with 6 charges max. 10 second cooldown for a charge.

You can apply up to 6 charges to a friendly target. Each charge is 25 shield. So you could give everyone on your team 25hp except 1 person who gets 50hp. Or you could give 1 person on your team an extra 150hp.

On top of that I think Symm should be able to use a teleporter charge to instantly move to her teleporter by pressing her Ult button. Give her teleporter a bit more HP, and suddenly she can actually defend the thing.

D.Va already has too much survivability as it is. She's a pain in the ass.

On console she is fine for Control maps. On PC she is the worst tank in the game on every map. She just gets obliterated by every DPS and she just ends up being an ult sponge for everyone.

Her movement while shooting is too slow, she has no range, and her crit box is literally unmissable. The only character in the game where the crit box is literally the center of mass. Her crit box is probably the size of Torbjorn.

All right I'm done being triggered.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Playing with a bad D.Va.

The wife and I duo D.Va and Zen and wreck face.

Just gotta step that game up.

I much rather see a zarya, winston, or reinhardt.

I'm a min/maxer at heart lol
On console she is fine for Control maps. On PC she is the worst tank in the game on every map. She just gets obliterated by every DPS and she just ends up being an ult sponge for everyone.

Her movement while shooting is too slow, she has no range, and her crit box is literally unmissable. The only character in the game where the crit box is literally the center of mass. Her crit box is the Probably the size of Torbjorn.

All right I'm done being triggered.
^

Tidalwave

Limiting hero stacking to their arcade mode is such a bummer.

I'll play quick play to fuck around without any rules.

Want a serious game where everyone's playing to win every round? Go play competitive where everyone takes everything seriously.

I'll never get this way of thinking. The people in quick play want to win too.
If the whole team decides to be silly and go all mercy it can a frustrating and literal waste of time of the people who just want to play normally. Competitive can be super stressful. If you really wanna goof around that much then make a private lobby.

FHIZ

Alright, I need that Genji skin, what's the quickest way to throw HotS bot matches? Tried putting the AI up to max and just charged into death, but the AI teammates caused the match to go on for about 15 min. Any quicker?

Alright, I need that Genji skin, what's the quickest way to throw HotS bot matches? Tried putting the AI up to max and just charged into death, but the AI teammates caused the match to go on for about 15 min. Any quicker?

Been playing AI matches on the easiest difficulty with some friends and we finish matches in about 6-7 minutes

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

At 15 minutes you might as well just play the actual matches, which are about the same length.

Skab

You do have to play with friends for the challenge, fyi

Mesoian

Breh when is the last time you met a nano-boosted Reinhart. Be honest.

We run nano rein in our group all the time, and it is usually the thing that puts 2 pips on the board.

The trouble is, to run it, you still need a reinhardt that can manage their health and an ana that can aim, and that can be asking for a lot in pubs.

I'm fine with the nerf though, it means I can backpedal as zarya and pick up kills on the boosted characters more easily. Before I just had to bounce out.

You do have to play with friends for the challenge, fyi

Yup. My group was getting ready to HOTS it up, and then Sombra released, and now we don't know when we're going to HOTS it up.

WhyMe6

Playing in Korea on PS4, the Asian servers are absolutely shocking at the moment. 4+ minutes of waiting and nothing in comp or arcade, and three minutes of waiting in QP gets me matched with a 4 stack :(

Mr. Robot

I'd like to see her shield mechanic reworked to almost match her turret mechanic.

As in, give her 3 charges on spawn, with 6 charges max. 10 second cooldown for a charge.

You can apply up to 6 charges to a friendly target. Each charge is 25 shield. So you could give everyone on your team 25hp except 1 person who gets 50hp. Or you could give 1 person on your team an extra 150hp.

On top of that I think Symm should be able to use a teleporter charge to instantly move to her teleporter by pressing her Ult button. Give her teleporter a bit more HP, and suddenly she can actually defend the thing.

I say that they should lower the countdown for turrets and give them the molten core treatment for the ult, or give the teleport a strong turret and aura healing, or make the turrets heal for a short time during ult.

Anyway, Symmetra is my go to hero on Hanamura defense

Mesoian

Being able to move the Tele would be great. Honestly, if a team hasn't found it within 3 minutes of it being placed down, they're not going to and you should be able to place it somewhere more strategic. It would make flanking way more interesting.

Playing in Korea on PS4, the Asian servers are absolutely shocking at the moment. 4+ minutes of waiting and nothing in comp or arcade, and three minutes of waiting in QP gets me matched with a 4 stack :(

How are the asian PS4 servers in general? I was of the mindset that, if you're playing, you should be doing it on PC as that's where the fanbase is in China and SK.

Tabasco

I'm curious to know who in here has even played Super MNC.

Ana by far had (and still has) the strongest Ult in the game, on top of being an excellent healer, debuffer and dps in her own right. Not sure what you're on about.

Zen's was the strongest - jury is still out on exactly where to place Sombra's but it's top 5 without question.

I don't disagree with Blizzard's choice to scale back Ana's ult, it was powerful.

Mesoian

I'm surprised the Zarya nerf went to live. She's pointless to play now.

Naw. You'd be surprised how often people will still continually shoot at her when she has the shield up. She might drop out of pro meta, but honestly, the shields themselves are still super key for people people escape and gank.

The utility of her specials is still there, she just doesn't benefit from them as quickly.

Reminder for people going back to Overwatch from BF1:

Q does not bring upp the commorose. Especially not when at 100% with your ult meter.

Not gonna lie, I did this exact thing today with Reaper on Anubis.... Kinda felt dumb after doing it even though we won the match lol

Dartastic

Naw. You'd be surprised how often people will still continually shoot at her when she has the shield up. She might drop out of pro meta, but honestly, the shields themselves are still super key for people people escape and gank.

The utility of her specials is still there, she just doesn't benefit from them as quickly.
I haven't played Zarya since the changes went live, but this seems like a pretty fair assessment.

WhyMe6

How are the asian PS4 servers in general? I was of the mindset that, if you're playing, you should be doing it on PC as that's where the fanbase is in China and SK.

In peak times, it's quite good, as instant as anywhere. However, outside of peak times player count isn't good and you can have 7 minutes with no match, or matchmaking can be pathetically one-sided, or you have a situation where you see the same people in 5+ consecutive competitive matches.

The smaller player base means the top competitive ranks are lower than other regions, which filters down and makes it really tough to climb sometimes.

I can't do PC as I could only bring a simple laptop with me and I'm shit with PC and mouse anyway.

Betty

Banned
1 v 1 is probably the most anger inducing game mode i've played in a long, long time

At least in matches with more people I can blame losing on being team mates or being ganged up on.

Feels like I'm playing TF2 again, damn spies, locking my rocket jumps :(

Still heartbroken over Pharra, I can barely play her on competitive w/ all the McCrees and 76s running around.

1v1 remains stupid fun for reasons I can't explain, love the weekly lootcrate idea

sibhod

Neo Member
As someone who leveled to 99.75 to prestige when sombra drops, I'm not to happy at the levelling change. If only I had leveled last night I would be a dozen loot boxes richer.

ResoRai

Had no idea the update was comin already. Been working on a lot of projects n biz.

Can't work on it tonight though hehe so it's about to be Sombra time in a bit :D

Gxgear

Does anyone know if the first win reward loot box is for the first time ever, or a weekly thing like the 3 box for 9 wins?

Does anyone know if the first win reward loot box is for the first time ever, or a weekly thing like the 3 box for 9 wins?

Both. You get boxes for playing the new levels and 3 boxes every week with 9 wins. At least, I think. So today, you should be getting 5 boxes.

Top Bottom