• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"P.T" Interactive teaser up on PSN Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chabbles

It actually seems to happen if you press R3 while just being in the bathroom, no matter what you're looking at. Probably a bug, but I thought it was part of a puzzle at first, that I had to run to each bathroom and make all the reflections disappear in a certain amount of time -- nope!

Yeah, this thing is truly awesome. Can't wait for more.

Not a bug, no way. Theres just lots of stuff thrown in to put people off and get them stuck, distractions. Lots of people and myself ended up going online to find the solution to the fast corridor. Its only natural to go around to each mirror hitting R3 thinking its something to do with progressing.

I'm thinking a lot about the number "204863" lately - it must have a deeper meaning. On the radio in the game they say that the "father kept chanting the number when they found him after he murdered his wife".. What if this is actually a clue about the whole "using mic will get the second giggle" theory - do they want us to chant this number as well?

I know it's far fetched, but there is also a very subtle hint about the ten steps when, at some point, a voice says something about "10 months" (don't remember the context). I'm just trying (too hard?) to connect the dots and make sense of all of this - it might all be coincidences I dunno.

I am probably looking way too much into this. After all, "P.T." actually meant "Playable Teaser" lmfao :D

I took that as the wife got the job 10 months ago, manager loved to see her in her skirt, she got pregnant from him after a few weeks working there, she got killed during advance stage of pregnancy.

Mobius 1

It's an incredible visual accomplishment. My enthusiasm is only tempered by the fact that it's also has a very narrow scope of a single corridor.

Still, with what we've seen on Ground Zeroes, this engine will do amazing things in the coming years.

Chabbles

Something was in the corridor, after a deep breath I wanted to approach it, light goes out.

I'm outta here. Long time since I was scared like this. Can't bring myself to play further.

(played through re1-5, cvx and dead space 1 and 2)

I hate games where I can't take care of myself and have nothing to protect me :(

Remember its just a video game, it cant hurt you.. Now get back in there soldier !

Dunk#7

I'm thinking a lot about the number "204863" lately - it must have a deeper meaning. On the radio in the game they say that the "father kept chanting the number when they found him after he murdered his wife".. What if this is actually a clue about the whole "using mic will get the second giggle" theory - do they want us to chant this number as well?

I know it's far fetched, but there is also a very subtle hint about the ten steps when, at some point, a voice says something about "10 months" (don't remember the context). I'm just trying (too hard?) to connect the dots and make sense of all of this - it might all be coincidences I dunno.

I am probably looking way too much into this. After all, "P.T." actually meant "Playable Teaser" lmfao :D

I feel a similar way. So many "why's?"

I am dying to know more. So little is known its frustrating. Stuck in the middle of the story with no understanding or conclusion.

Danomeon

Neo Member
It's an incredible visual accomplishment. My enthusiasm is only tempered by the fact that it's also has a very narrow scope of a single corridor.

I think that's the reason it is both so visually striking and so scary. There's so much detail put into every spot of this small hallway that you can look at anything up close and marvel at how good it looks. Having only one room in the game probably made it very easy to place spotless detail everywhere.

The fear thing plays into the fact that players understand the layout of the hallway after the first few passes, and then they get to watch as the familiar is stripped away with each new loop. They're given some time to memorize what to expect from this corridor, and then the game plays with their expectations as the recognizable fades into the Otherworld.

I'm concerned Silent Hills won't live up to this level of detail or fear. Especially if it's third person. But I'd love to be proven wrong, I'm still going to buy it on day one to support this kind of incredible marketing.

Piers

I'm guessing the usage of mic was to encourage the reveal happening over live-streaming, given that this is when people would typically (?) be using them - and also Kojima's tweet suggesting people to use twitch/with friends.

"204863" isn't a bad suggestion, though. I thought it was just meant as a subtle hint towards Silent Hill. (Along with the loading icon, and other things) Also, by possession, people mean when it turns 00:00? Has 00:00 in real-time hours had any impact on the second giggle?

Dr.brain64

Gaf I'm stuck at the radio part where it says that there's something behind me (which I always get killed btw... when i look behind) then the following loop (when the bag talks to you): the door is opened for the next loop but then, at that loop, after some time the radio stops i'm stuck and don't know what to do next... (all doors are closed). HELP

Also when I zoom in on the bottles below the clock, the plant next to it, and the teddy bear I get this weird messages (i think it's italian??) What does that mean?

Gaf I'm stuck at the radio part where it says that there's something behind me (which I always get killed btw... when i look behind) then the following loop (when the bag talks to you): the door is opened for the next loop but then, at that loop, after some time the radio stops i'm stuck and don't know what to do next... (all doors are closed). HELP

Also when I zoom in on the bottles below the clock, the plant next to it, and the teddy bear I get this weird messages (i think it's italian??) What does that mean?

Look at the picture next to the radio and do what it says

Completed it twice now and I still don't know how I triggered the second giggle. On my second play-through it actually happened while the game was still paused.

NeoRausch

Holy shit, I did it!
I just waited 15 mins after the first laugh (not moving)

WTF?
That's kinda more or less how I solved it. Got the first giggle randomly in from of the bathroom door. Ran around for some time. Waited in front of the telephone. Paused the game to surf the web.
Suddenly (while in Pause menu) second giggle.
Unpaused the game and just stared on the telephone for a bit.
Third giggle, pad vibrating, phone ringing.

After all the trouble... That was stupidly easy.
BTW: no streaming, no headphones/mic.

Completed it twice now and I still don't know how I triggered the second giggle. On my second play-through it actually happened while the game was still paused.

See!

jeffyjaixx

Been hearing more and more that mic input is important to getting the cutscene and phone ring. All the people I've seen beat it had mics on.

SOLDIER

Have we reached an overall consensus on the steps that are either guaranteed or nearly-guaranteed to unlock the ending?

I'm planning to have a couple of people play this game (and stream their reactions live). It would be great if I could have them play the final teaser in the end with relative success.

eso76

I feel a similar way. So many "why's?"

I am dying to know more. So little is known its frustrating. Stuck in the middle of the story with no understanding or conclusion.

it's a teaser, plus from my understanding, it wasn't meant to be solved by randomly trying stuff until you trigger something.
In the head of Kojima we should have gathered and decyphered the riddles BEFORE solving the demo, not the other way round.

What happened was, someone tried random stuff until something clicked, and we're now trying to reverse engineer what he did, and it's frustrating because everything seems random; the truth is, it probably isn't, but we're focusing on the wrong stuff.

it's a teaser, plus from my understanding, it wasn't meant to be solved by randomly trying stuff until you trigger something.
In the head of Kojima we should have gathered and decyphered the riddles BEFORE solving the demo, not the other way round.

What happened was, someone tried random stuff until something clicked, and we're now trying to reverse engineer what he did, and it's frustrating because everything seems random; the truth is, it probably isn't, but we're focusing on the wrong stuff.

I have the feeling that is has something to do with the
pictures near the clock and the "message" (written on the picture )

kiguel182

Well, I tried playing this but two loops after dying I just don't know how to progress.

I guess that it's supposed to be obtuse and make people figure it out while making them scared.

I like that idea but it isn't very appealing to me. Still, visually this is incredible and the ambience is something special.

I was also very nervous most of the time so the game worked. Shame I couldn't advance further but I think it simply isn't my kind of game.

Field

Finally beat it after playing some every evening since it came out. After the first giggle I stood in front of the telephone and hit pause. 10-15 minutes later I heard the second giggle.

Ran rp

Yep, can't wait to see more of the Fox Engine not being held back by last gen. There's even little details like falling dust particles lighting up when you shine the flashlight on them.

ivb3cCoJTGyni.gif

Looks like they pop in.

Atedos

My thoughts on this.
Remember Kojima stated endgame is a puzzle.
Each puzzle has its clues. So is with these baby's laughs.
Both of those clues u get on your way to the end.

First is "exactly 10 months ago".
This is 10 steps for the first laugh, which has been widely confirmed. In case it didn't work for you - you should stop right on your tenth step to proc the laugh (it also happens when you walk from radio to phone for example, which is exactly 10 steps and leads to false theories, like radio triggers it).

Second clue is 204863, as it is repeated many times, and you can't miss it on you walkthrough.
A theory that it is sort of amount of steps has failed. I tried different sequences like 2-180turn-4-8-6-3 and 20-4-8-6-3 with turns and without (u know, like safe combination) but it didn't work (maybe I should have done 360-turn instead). It would also explain why people trigger it, wandering randomly around, making nonsense theories, like shouting in your mic or standing on your head.

Still it is definitely a hint (and I know it is Kojima's birthday as well) and maybe someone will come up with any more ideas.

I may be completely wrong, yet these are the only definite clues, presented in game, not some guesses.

The only other theory, which looks legit, is with ghost spawns corresponding to the noise sounds, and that you should interact with it somehow. Perhaps you should spawn her in some order, or get her spawn at all points, which accidentally happens when people trying to get second laugh by wondering around or even don't moving.
I've seen this on several different sources, but this explanation from reddit seems to be the clearest ATM.
Krizzi1 said:
Alright so i know alot of people have been struggling with this! but i do believe i have found the actual solution to the puzzle! yes you need the 3 giggles for the phone to riing and a lot of people have been giving advise that is acurate, but not complete. the fact that they got it was pure lucky timing on their part!
so for the 1st giggle, wait for the clock to chime 0:00 then take exactly 10 steps in any direction. doesnt matter which.
for the 2nd giggle you need to learn which "haunting" sounds are which. there are 3. there is the static with heavy breathing, which is comign from the phone. there is the static with a low grumbly "ahh ahh ahh" sound. that is the radio. and there is static with crying. that is for the bathroom mirror.
to get the 2nd giggle you listen closely to the hauntung once it starts and move to the area that matches the sound (radio,mirror,phone) and zoom in on that object until the haunting stops. then wait for the next haunting and repeat the process of going to the correct object and zooming in. my order was radio, phone, mirror but yours may differ. once you hear the 2nd giggle. drop your controller! dont touch a thing. it will start to vibrate and its important to not touch a thing! after it finishes vibrating you will hear the 3rd giggle and BAM phone rings!

TyrantII

My thoughts on this.

This is 10 steps for the first laugh, which has been widely confirmed. In case it didn't work for you - you should stop right on your tenth step to proc the laugh (it also happens when you walk from radio to phone for example, which is exactly 10 steps and leads to false theories, like radio triggers it).

Second clue is 204863, as it is repeated many times, and you can't miss it on you walkthrough.
A theory that it is sort of amount of steps has failed. I tried different sequences like 2-180turn-4-8-6-3 and 20-4-8-6-3 with turns and without (u know, like safe combination) but it didn't work (maybe I should have done 360-turn instead). It would also explain why people trigger it, wandering randomly around, making nonsense theories, like shouting in your mic or standing on your head.

Still it is definitely a hint (and I know it is Kojima's birthday as well) and maybe someone will come up with any more ideas.

I may be completely wrong, yet these are the only definite clues, presented in game, not some guesses.

The only other theory, which looks legit, is with ghost spawns corresponding to the noise sounds, and that you should interact with it somehow. Perhaps you should spawn her in some order, or get her spawn at all points, which accidentally happens when people trying to get second laugh by wondering around or even don't moving.
I've seen this on several different sources, but this explanation from reddit seems to be the clearest ATM.

The easiest second baby Giggle is to just go into the menu, put down the controller, and wait 60-90 seconds.

I've done it 4 times now, after the 10 step, without fail.

Last giggle is automatic with the rumble, so its really the second one that was hard to find. As said there's other ways to get that second one outside the menu, but the pause menu method is by far the easiest and only one we know for sure how to trigger.

KurowaSan

That reddit theory would be nice, but people have been getting giggles close to the loop entrance, near de clock, in the pause menu, down the stairs, by the third window (the one closer to the house entrance) ...
I, for example, got the "2nd" giggle first when I was by the phone, just after I entered the room, after the bell chimes and while waiting for the ghost sounds to stop. That was the first time the ghost was appearing and I got it, I didn't have to chase any previous haunting spots, as there were none.

Unless there is some sort of clue that we're all missing, for now, it's pretty safe to say there are hotspots where you can get the giggles and have a certain activation area (loop entrance, clock, telephone, mirror, radio, basement, third wiindow from the loop entrance,pause menu). The active spot keeps changing throughout the loop (probably randomly but who knows, maybe there's a pattern) and you have to be/get there to trigger it.

The easiest second baby Giggle is to just go into the menu, put down the controller, and wait 60-90 seconds.

I've done it 4 times now, after the 10 step, without fail.

Last giggle is automatic with the rumble, so its really the second one that was hard to find. As said there's other ways to get that second one outside the menu, but the pause menu method is by far the easiest and only one we know for sure how to trigger.

I haven't gotten the pause menu giggle, not even once, and believe me, I've tried

Eye balls everywhere everything is red. Am I close to end?

Yeah, you are

Batzi

Banned
I have a question for you guys. Most people here finished it using the mic. However, few people reported finishing the game without using the mic or camera although having no clue how they triggered the ending but they managed to do it somehow.

What if the mic was the easy way out? What if Kojima had something else under his sleeve? He can't assume that everyone has a mic so he must have provided another way to trigger the ending. What if the mic was secondary? Isn't it only reasonable to think that Kojima had a mic-free scenario which serves as the initial way to trigger the ending since he has to assume that people are only using the controller without adding any other peripheral to it?

I'm interested to solve the mic-free scenario. What do you guys think?

DrkSage

i have reached to the conclusion that there are multiple solutions for getting the second giggle but only one will work at the time making the solution seem random.

yesterday me and and my started a party chat and we decided to try the pause solution to get the second giggle. it only worked once for my friend but he moved when it started vibrating so he screwed it up, but i beat the game twice in 25 minutes. I basically deleted my file to start from zero, i rushed trough all the loops didnt even collect the picture pieces. I reached the last loop, walked next to the phone, clock struck midnight, walked the ten steps to the clock pressed paused and unpaused and the controller vibrated. i started again did exactly the same and it worked once again, but when i tried it a third time it didnt work, not even near the phone/clock/radio/mirror.

so my conclusion is that pausing, using the mic, standing still and doing nothing, and all those other solutions that got the first giggle or second giggle or both all work, but you have to find out which one will work.its either that or this game already drove me insane :(

]also i know silent hill will not be anything like the demo but i wish kojima made more small horror demos like this :p

DJ88

Ugh, finally mustered up enough courage to sit down and beat this alone after me and my friends never got past the last loop on the day this came out. It kept eating away at me and I had to put it to rest.

Even though I knew exactly what would happen and watching many playthroughs, I still was throughly creeped out the entire time and yelled FUCK YOU!! when the demon lady killed me. It happened in a completely unexpected and different spot this time. I followed MiamiWesker's instructions to finally get that stupid second baby laugh. Had the mic plugged in and got it in about 10 min. after getting nothing for hours with my friends. It felt so good to hear it and the phone ring right after cause I was more than ready to leave that damn hallway for good. The tension and atmosphere in the game is unmatched by anything else out there. It's masterfully crafted. I really hope the full game evokes the same feelings as this P.T.

I've gotten the pause menu second giggle after spotting the ghost near the radio and staring at her. She flew past me and I paused it and waited a minute. Baby giggled and I walked towards the phone. Last part has been touched on already.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finally played it. Absolutely brilliant. Scariest thing I have played since Condemned 1. OMG, now I am hyped for the real thing.

eso76

Saw this in the reaction thread:

"Then his index slides in my hand" It was a cold hand / They were cold hands My body was shivering. I waited for it to pass, but the night wind took her away.

Shivering = controller vibrates
Waiting motionless = when this happens you must not move the pad

That much is known, but this is just to show the riddles tell you exactly what to do when solved.
People should probably focus on those instead of proceeding through anecdotal information.

Right now, I am too scared to go looking for more clues :p

My thoughts on this.

Sometimes you get the 2nd giggle instantly, I have got it before at the radio before the first haunting even started. Alos as he said you need to keep following the sounds until it "works" which sounds like he is just going to places until it works.

Until someone can come up with a method that 100% works all the time we do not have the solution.

Batzi

Banned
Until someone can come up with a method that 100% works all the time we do not have the solution.
Exactly that's why I wrote this
I have a question for you guys. Most people here finished it using the mic. However, few people reported finishing the game without using the mic or camera although having no clue how they triggered the ending but they managed to do it somehow.

What if the mic was the easy way out? What if Kojima had something else under his sleeve? He can't assume that everyone has a mic so he must have provided another way to trigger the ending. What if the mic was secondary? Isn't it only reasonable to think that Kojima had a mic-free scenario which serves as the initial way to trigger the ending since he has to assume that people are only using the controller without adding any other peripheral to it?

I'm interested to solve the mic-free scenario. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom