• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"P.T" Interactive teaser up on PSN Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchum

Holy shit finally. I had been trying for an hour with no luck for that second giggle. I had lost my mic but since I had the damn time, I was able to go find it. I paused the game, blew into the microphone, unpaused the game while blowing into it, then blew a couple more times quickly.

Got the second giggle. Kept still, got the third. Kept still till that phone rang.

As for my thoughts on this game, FUCK THIS GAME. Also, it was amazing. I can do nothing but cuss at it though because it scared the SHIT out of me. I wanted to turn it off. I seriously started walking facing the floor and looking away from my tv because I was so scared. I've never been that scared from any sort of media.

Where were you located? I just did the same thing again.
10 steps to radio and left looking there, set the controller down, started making noises for a couple minutes, i then whistled.

Babies like whistling it seems (or she kept spawning near me)

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Not surprised at all by this... kinda offers proof that there are external factors that govern who may be easily "chosen" or not.

Did you use a mic at home, and no mic at your friends house?? What are your confirmed steps at home?

Used a mic at his house. On my machine at home, I had the camera's mic on. 10 steps, 1st giggle. Stand at phone and stare, while telling the baby to "come the fuck on, already". 2nd giggle, vibration, phone.

Where were you located? I just did the same thing again.
10 steps to radio and left looking there, set the controller down, started making noises for a couple minutes, i then whistled.

Babies like whistling it seems (or she kept spawning near me)

I was in the bathroom looking at the mirror at the time when I unpaused and got the second giggle.

The whole thing was Midnight>10 steps to phone>walk to mirror>pause>mic noise>unpause>mic noise> second giggle>stay still>third giggle and vibrating>stay still>phone ring>go to phone R3

I'm not playing this again I'm going to die.

cchum

I was in the bathroom looking at the mirror at the time when I unpaused and got the second giggle.

The whole thing was Midnight>10 steps to phone>walk to mirror>pause>mic noise>unpause>mic noise> second giggle>stay still>third giggle and vibrating>stay still>phone ring>go to phone R3

I'm not playing this again I'm going to die.
I think the hidden factor is she has to spawn close to you too. It's also how people are getting it while possessed. Stay in a spot (radio or bathroom) and talk during hauntings. She'll eventually spawn there.

Mobius 1

I'm not scared of supernatural things in real life at all. But this game's atmosphere is immensely oppressive and gets to me. I don't know why.

Well done Kojima.

I'm not sure if it was just luck but this actually worked for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRD-QX34K4

This is literally the solution to the last loop. I tried a whole bunch of other stuff including making noise in the mic and no success. I did the method explained in the video (i.e., take 10 steps at midnight to get the first baby laugh and then follow Lisa's haunts based on the noise made), and I instantly unlocked the ending. I made no noises into the mic whatsoever on my successful run.

The explanation in the video makes sense based on the the clue on Lisa's picture by the clock. All the other explanations don't make sense.

I can still hear the creaking of the swaying light in my head.

I wish the ending wasn't random (or at least so complex to trigger), but otherwise I loved it and it had some great scares.

Schrade

This is literally the solution to the last loop. I tried a whole bunch of other stuff including making noise in the mic and no success. I did the method explained in the video (i.e., take 10 steps at midnight to get the first baby laugh and then follow Lisa's haunts based on the noise made), and I instantly unlocked the ending. I made no noises into the mic whatsoever on my successful run.

The explanation in the video makes sense based on the the clue on Lisa's picture by the clock. All the other explanations don't make sense.

Nope. If you read back to a few of my posts you can see that what is in this video doesn't make sense.

Mainly because there are 6 spawn locations and 3 different sounds Lisa makes (and she makes them in all spots).

Here is the archive for my massive 3 hour session

http://www.twitch.tv/dvader6543/b/558922049

I got the giggles maybe 30 times or so. It started off good with a pattern that seemed to work and just went more and more insane from there. Anytime there seemed to be a pattern it would suddenly disappear. I am more confused than ever.

For sure talking is not needed, many times I got a giggle while I was silent. The mic does seem to be necessary. Following the sport where she was last works sometimes, sometimes it works back to back to back in which case people run in here and think they unlocked the mystery, they did not. Eventually going to where she was last stops working.

Then there is the staredown method where you get close to her but not enough for her to charge you, then when she leaves you sort of walk along the path between you two. There was this spot at the entrance when she spawn she would be at the door, I was around the clock, if I walked forward as the hallway narrows that spot I got a giggle quite a few times. I got it there while being eaten once too.

I dont know if the moans she makes matters. Possession does not matter, I got it while possessed. Which removes lisa and the hauntings and still you can get the giggle. Which raises the question if you don't need Lisa or hauntings then are lisa's actions pointless?

I think I give up, Kojima wins. I hope he just tells us.

Roshin

I'm not scared of supernatural things in real life at all. But this game's atmosphere is immensely oppressive and gets to me. I don't know why. Well done Kojima.

Same here. Early on in the demo, I just NOPEed out, which I didn't expect at all. :D

Z3M0G

Kojima's birthday (referenced in the demo) is on the 24th of this month. Maybe something interesting will happen then. Imagine if nobody ever got it... id think on that day it would perhaps unlock for all.

Nope. If you read back to a few of my posts you can see that what is in this video doesn't make sense.

Mainly because there are 6 spawn locations and 3 different sounds Lisa makes (and she makes them in all spots).

Well regardless of whether it makes sense with her spawn locations or not, the method works. If you want to get the ending, all you need to do is follow their method.

On another note, does anyone understand the reference to the number: 204863 ?

Or is that something the full game will explain?

cchum

The sounds she makes has nothing to do with where she is though. I had the crying sound (which should be bathroom), but she was by the entry door.

Edit: my method works for me (and a few others), but another possible thing to do is approach her when crying. The other two are more angry sounding.

Schrade

Well regardless of whether it makes sense with her spawn locations or not, the method works. If you want to get the ending, all you need to do is follow their method.

But their method doesn't make sense so there's no way to follow it.

If you follow her sounds, you'll get possessed.

They weren't following her sounds. They were going by one of the 3 random sounds she makes and then going to a certain position thinking that she only made those sounds in certain places... which she doesn't.

But their method doesn't make sense so there's no way to follow it.

If you follow her sounds, you'll get possessed.

They weren't following her sounds. They were going by one of the 3 random sounds she makes and then going to a certain position thinking that she only made those sounds in certain places... which she doesn't.

Hey man, the method either straight up works or it coincides enough with her haunts that it works most of the time. Regardless, I got it to work the first time I tried it.

Vidpixel

I'm not scared of supernatural things in real life at all. But this game's atmosphere is immensely oppressive and gets to me. I don't know why.

Well done Kojima.

Same here. Usually, I find scary stuff based on reality to be much more terrifying, but they sure did a great job with the creepy atmosphere in this.

Schrade

Hey man, the method either straight up works or it coincides enough with her haunts that it works most of the time. Regardless, I got it to work the first time I tried it.

I've followed their "method" and it doesn't work for me. I guess because I'm too accurate for locating where Lisa is. Just going back and forth between phone/radio/bathroom doesn't work for me either.

panda-zebra

After Wesker's epic session I'm happy to leave this be now, if there's ever a 100% repeatable method that doesn't involve pausing I might give it a go just because, but really, all I need now is a detailed explaination of how all the clues are supposed to come together from the creators. People have come close but I'd rather have it explained directly.

Is this ever going to come to the EU PSN Store???

"Knowing you, I was sure you'd notice this game and play it. I will never - can never - forget that day 20 years ago. I have something to tell you. Contact me. -J. "

No, J, he had to ask GAF.

Raist

Banned
I think at this stage, either no one really got it and just accidentally end up doing the right thing to trigger the ending, or it's on purpose absolutely random and Kojima is laughing his ass off reading people's solutions.

NIGHT-

Came pretty easy to me.

Wait by the clock till it strikes 12
Walk 10 steps
Wait for the baby giggle
Wait for the next haunting( rAdio for me)
Controller vibrates and 2nd giggle
Phone rings and giggle

Tapejara

Played this with a few friends today (we're all Kojima fans and I'm a casual Silent Hill fan) and man, they really nailed the atmosphere. Creepy as hell and looked absolutely stunning. Our enjoyment dropped when we got to the last puzzle though. Tried multiple methods, but we just couldn't complete it and got frustrated.

This was a a pretty unique way to reveal a new game, but the idea behind P.T is just so bad. The gameplay is mediocre, the over reliance on jump scares has been done so much by so many other games, movies, etc that it's lost all effectiveness.

As a gameplay experience, it was extremely mediocre across the board and not worthy of praise at all. As a way to announce/reveal a new game? It was pretty great in how unique it was.

Then again, it was revealing a new Silent Hill and it's hard to conjure up even the slightest bit of hype or interest for a new iteration in that thoroughly damaged IP.

Majmun

This was a a pretty unique way to reveal a new game, but the idea behind P.T is just so bad. The gameplay is mediocre, the over reliance on jump scares has been done so much by so many other games, movies, etc that it's lost all effectiveness.

As a gameplay experience, it was extremely mediocre across the board and not worthy of praise at all. As a way to announce/reveal a new game? It was pretty great in how unique it was.

Then again, it was revealing a new Silent Hill and it's hard to conjure up even the slightest bit of hype or interest for a new iteration in that thoroughly damaged IP.

Wtf? The teaser is polished as hell. The sound and graphics are so good. It has some amazing moments with great production.

Sure, there are many similar type of demo's out there, but none are as effective and polished as this one. P.T. has become iconic already

I don't know man. I played it day one, before hype probably got the better of it, and I thought the structure was pretty ingenious, and the jump scares well earned (the music and sound effects really ratchet up the tension.)

Iseveryonetakingcrazypills.Jpg

Kaversmed

Last night I let one of my friends play through P.T. and as soon as he peeked through the gap in the door, he noped so hard and handed me the controller. "I'm not playing any more of that shit", he said :D

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
wtf. I played through the thing, then tried for about 3 hours to get the second laugh, but nothing. Even though I love the idea to use this as an announcement, it's plain cruel to hide it this way. I've tried a '100% confirmed!' method on Reddit which didn't work either. Afaik this is random, there are people who got it by just standing around in the same spot for 5 minutes. I don't get it. I just wanted to reach the end, fuck this

This reminds me of finding Mew in the Google maps April fool's.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Here is the archive for my massive 3 hour session

http://www.twitch.tv/dvader6543/b/558922049

I got the giggles maybe 30 times or so. It started off good with a pattern that seemed to work and just went more and more insane from there. Anytime there seemed to be a pattern it would suddenly disappear. I am more confused than ever.

For sure talking is not needed, many times I got a giggle while I was silent. The mic does seem to be necessary. Following the sport where she was last works sometimes, sometimes it works back to back to back in which case people run in here and think they unlocked the mystery, they did not. Eventually going to where she was last stops working.

Then there is the staredown method where you get close to her but not enough for her to charge you, then when she leaves you sort of walk along the path between you two. There was this spot at the entrance when she spawn she would be at the door, I was around the clock, if I walked forward as the hallway narrows that spot I got a giggle quite a few times. I got it there while being eaten once too.

I dont know if the moans she makes matters. Possession does not matter, I got it while possessed. Which removes lisa and the hauntings and still you can get the giggle. Which raises the question if you don't need Lisa or hauntings then are lisa's actions pointless?

I think I give up, Kojima wins. I hope he just tells us.

Change the console time, maybe time is the key to the puzzle?

zanoonga

Neo Member
This was truly a masterfully crafted experience.
So good on so many levels. The attention to detail, the pacing, the atmosphere and really good, earned, shock scares.

The only thing i DIDN'T like was
the fetus in the sink. I kinda get what they try to accomplish, but the terror is diminished when you see it so clearly. Also it was kinda cute in a eraserheady way.

It would be better if it resembled a real fetus and was harder to distinguish.
Or better yet, just insinuate it with only sound and a bloody sink.

I hope they won't show too much in the finished product. Keep it tense!

SkylineRKR

Kojima's birthday (referenced in the demo) is on the 24th of this month. Maybe something interesting will happen then. Imagine if nobody ever got it... id think on that day it would perhaps unlock for all.

Yeah that could be.

Perhaps KojiPro will reveal the truth behind the puzzle, so that the game is finally announced for real.

But with so many outcomes it wouldn't surprise me if they say 'its sort of random'.

dmr87

Came pretty easy to me.

Wait by the clock till it strikes 12
Walk 10 steps
Wait for the baby giggle
Wait for the next haunting( rAdio for me)
Controller vibrates and 2nd giggle
Phone rings and giggle

Seemed easy enough, here's how a friend and I did.

Wait for the clock to hit 12, wait for the "ding dongs" to stop, walk 10 steps and then just stand completely still and wait for the phone to ring, giggles and vibration will go off while you are standing still. Also with microphone plugged in. This worked two times in a row.

All the guides and methods seems completely unnessecary.

Daffy Duck

I've got to the end with the clock at 00:00 but I always wanly off too quickly and it's not finished chiming. Then nothing happens. I need to slow down. Lol

Ryuuga

Banned
Seemed easy enough, here's how a friend and I did.

Wait for the clock to hit 12, wait for the "ding dongs" to stop, walk 10 steps and then just stand completely still and wait for the phone to ring, giggles and vibration will go off while you are standing still. Also with microphone plugged in. This worked two times in a row.

All the guides and methods seems completely unnessecary.

It's unnecessary because it's still quite random. People have claimed to beat it with so many different variables but are unable to explain why it worked. That's far from what I'd call easy. The only idea I don't subscribe to is that mic isn't a necessary component for completion. I've yet to see anyone complete it whom didn't have their mic plugged in, even if they didn't necessarily speak during a triggered laugh.

Jito

Banned
Good teaser up until it makes you do some strange abstract puzzles to progress the teaser. Got stuck around making the baby cry or some shit and just gave up, should have just ended it after getting all the picture pieces. Strange people are saying this is a fun gaming experience when it ends like that.

Gun Animal

This was truly a masterfully crafted experience.
So good on so many levels. The attention to detail, the pacing, the atmosphere and really good, earned, shock scares.

The only thing i DIDN'T like was
the fetus in the sink. I kinda get what they try to accomplish, but the terror is diminished when you see it so clearly. Also it was kinda cute in a eraserheady way.

It would be better if it resembled a real fetus and was harder to distinguish.
Or better yet, just insinuate it with only sound and a bloody sink.

I hope they won't show too much in the finished product. Keep it tense!

My impression is that the first fetus encounter is meant to disarm you for the
second encounter where the fetus starts spouting alex jonesesque talk show host stuff
That got me real shook and felt like the most actually Silent Hillish moment in the game. (I've always associated Silent Hill less with cheap scares and more with unfathomable insanity and eeriness)

Wtf? The teaser is polished as hell. The sound and graphics are so good. It has some amazing moments with great production.

Sure, there are many similar type of demo's out there, but none are as effective and polished as this one. P.T. has become iconic already

In terms of polish, it's surprisingly well done, but in terms of gameplay, it's exceedingly mediocre and it's hard tot see why it's built up such a following or why there's any hype surrounding that aspect of the demo at all.

It's doing nothing new in terms of gameplay. What it does outside of gameplay is certainly unique though, so if we're talking purely in terms of what it does in non gameplay terms, I can see it become iconic and being praiseworthy.

I don't know man. I played it day one, before hype probably got the better of it, and I thought the structure was pretty ingenious, and the jump scares well earned (the music and sound effects really ratchet up the tension.)

I didn't feel like the scares were well earned at all. They all felt like rehashes of things that have been thousands of times before. It's hard to be surprised by a tall shadowy figure at the end of the corridor for the thousandth time or it suddenly lunging toward you. It's so tired...

I will credit to the sound design though, that was genuinely well done. The gameplay and the scares were poor though and I certainly hope it's not indicative of what the new Silent Hill title will offer.

Iseveryonetakingcrazypills.Jpg

I wondered the same thing when I saw all the praise this was getting.

Ryuuga

Banned
I wondered the same thing when I saw all the praise this was getting.

Maybe we're part of some crazy experiment where we've built ourselves up to enjoy something so astonishingly mediocre. The gap in the door leads to a separate reality that most of us have crossed over into.

Maybe we're part of some crazy experiment where we've built ourselves up to enjoy something so astonishingly mediocre. The gap in the door leads to a separate reality that most of us have crossed over into.

Hehe. Well played.

As a huge horror movie/game/media fan, it was hard t stomach yet another experience where everything ultimately revolved around the now tired jump scare.

If you're not used to it, I can understand falling in love. Much in the same way most people who watch Paranormal Activity find those movies scary. They aren't, they are anything but... but if you're not someone who watches horror on a regular basis, it's easy to see why you might find them scary and why you might think they are good.

DNAbro

I'm not sure why you are saying that everything is focused on the jump scare when you only get it once or twice. The atmosphere and sound is what made it terrifying to me.

What would scare you?

Honestly, I feel I'm at the point where most approaches to horror just won't work on me any more.

The last time I genuinely felt tense playing a game was Siren: BC, in the hospital. The atmosphere, the sound, the feeling of helplessness, it was incredible.

I'm not sure why you are saying that everything is focused on the jump scare when you only get it once or twice. The atmosphere and sound is what made it terrifying to me.

There's not much in terms of atmosphere though, it's mainly sound. There's no sense of dread, no really feeling of helplessness or fear. It feels like a huge missed opportunity. They should have played more with the lighting, perhaps moved things around with each 'go through' and focused more on creating a good atmosphere.

n!smo

Neo Member
Finally got the ending. I guess the caption of the missing picture helped a lot.

"My voice, can you hear it"
Wear headphones or turn up your sound system because you have to hear where she is to be in the same location as her. There is no formula, e.g. when she is crying, she is in the bathroom. You have to listen where she is haunting and this can be anywhere independent of the sounds she is making.

"This sign, can you read it"
"I'll wait for you forever if you come to me"
Standing in the same location as her look at the stuff she is probably looking at, i.e. when she is near the radio look at the wedding picture or the picture of the lake above the radio. In the bathroom look at the fetus or in the mirror. Near the telefon look at the teddy or the pictures nearby.

Generally speaking, you have to stand near her and look at the stuff she is watching at while your mic is on.

Raist

Banned
I wonder if there's any link between the flashlight changing colour at some point and the actual solution. Like, whatever flashlight colour you get first refers to a spot, that's where you should stand to get the second giggle. Like, blue = bathroom, green = plant, red = radio or stuff like that.

I mean, there must be a reason behing these different colours, and as far as I know they aren't part of any other puzzle.

Well, the gameplay is minimalistic, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It's in the same vein than old school SH or FF.

Ryuuga

Banned
Hehe. Well played.

As a huge horror movie/game/media fan, it was hard t stomach yet another experience where everything ultimately revolved around the now tired jump scare.

If you're not used to it, I can understand falling in love. Much in the same way most people who watch Paranormal Activity find those movies scary. They aren't, they are anything but... but if you're not someone who watches horror on a regular basis, it's easy to see why you might find them scary and why you might think they are good.

Fair enough, but it'd also be fair to say people enjoyed it for various reasons. For me, it's the mystery. I've had way too much fun theorizing with others on how to interpret various things in the game. I also like finding new things each time I run through the game. For a demo so small, taking place in one location, it's packed with little details people have either missed or have been unable to explain.

Ateron

All I know is that I was stuck for an hour and half on the last loop the night it released.
Tried to connect the noise types with locations, and by facing them I finished the game in more or less 15min. Took less than 2 minutes to get the phone to ring.

I don't know if it doesn't work if you get attacked (I managed to complete it without getting jumped, even though I wasn't avoiding it) but it works. For every kind of sound she has like 2 random different places to appear. I stuck to only checking 3: radio, phone, sink.

After 10 steps, giggle. Moved to bathroom (expecting she would spawn there so it would save me the trouble of moving towards her). Talked to baby. Second haunting triggered faster than normal. Static noises and beeping, Radio. Went there and it stopped. Then returned to the bathroom, as that is the place of my choosing to be idle in between hauntings. Talked some more, next haunting had the same static and beeping, knew it was from the radio. Didn't bother to look for her, I just went for the object associated with the noise. Stood there till it stopped, back to bathroom. Talked to the baby and as soon as I stopped saying like "helloooo" I got the final giggle. EDIT: Second giggle, sorry. The third is just staying put after the second, so no harm done.

Yes, it's random and she can appear in 6 locations. But she only makes 3 types of noises. Identify which is it, and move towards the corresponding object. Maybe the differentiating factor here was that I *wasn't* attacked/possessed and that I always chose the bathroom to wait in between hauntings. The mic seemed vital. I picked up my first save on the american account I have, where I was stuck for 1h30m, did all this and got the ending in 5 minutes flat.
It works, and in that save I had been attacked, had different colored flashlight and everything.

Her photograph pretty much spells it out, but in the beginning everything seems so random that we don't take it seriously.

"My voice, can you hear it? This sign, can you read it? I'll wait forever if you'll just come to me." Just distinguish between noise types, the one on the background (as I've had the exact same crying, one with beeping and static and the other without) and move towards one of the 3 important objects. This shit works everytime for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom