• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"P.T" Interactive teaser up on PSN Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I feel I'm at the point where most approaches to horror just won't work on me any more.

The last time I genuinely felt tense playing a game was Siren: BC, in the hospital. The atmosphere, the sound, the feeling of helplessness, it was incredible.

I don't know man I think this short playable teaser shit all over Siren in terms of ''The atmosphere, the sound, the feeling of helplessness''..

I managed to beat this game two times today. Both times I just stood looking in the mirror and the giggle happened, both times the ghost would appear behind me. I have tried the same with my third try, but still no luck, even after 3 or 4 times the ghost appeared behind me.

I have the mic on highest sensitivity while playing the Jackson 5 on Spotify. I never talk.

cchum

I managed to beat this game two times today. Both times I just stood looking in the mirror and the giggle happened, both times the ghost would appear behind me. I have tried the same with my third try, but still no luck, even after 3 or 4 times the ghost appeared behind me.

I have the mic on highest sensitivity while playing the Jackson 5 on Spotify. I never talk.

Maybe everyone is correct...you have to look where's she looking when she spawns(or makes noises for spawn), be stationary, and whisper. Essentially do what she does in those spots That's why people can't reproduce it without fail. The times I've been able to do it successfully has been staring at the radio, mirror, and phone. That's why possession can trigger it, as you're both looking at the same spots anyway.

That's essentially what the translated text says: (hear=location, movement=none, whispered=mic activity, hand holding= possession or in very close. vicinity):
I though I heard a phone, and fog dwindling awareness (babel fish translation), i didn't move anymore, waiting motionless,whispered his name.
"Then his index slides in my hand" It was a cold hand / They were cold hands My body was shivering. I waited for it to pass.

n!smo

Neo Member
The only problem with all this is that you can complete it while possessed, staring down a hallway and even nowhere near any of the trigger areas (bathroom, radio, phone).

Sounds odd, but maybe there are multiple ways to accomplish the game.
Hideo even suggested to play the game with headphones, which fortifies the theory of finding the haunting spot by listening carfully (besides intensifying fear ;-) )

I read some posters saying they got the second giggle just by standing still and pausing the game. As we know you can´t really pause the game, the haunting proceeds just without the noise. I would guess that standing near a hot spot while pausing the game means that at some point the ghost was at the same place as the player which triggers the final giggle. Maybe this was deliberately implemented by Hideo to mitigate frustrations, don´t know.

BHR-3

never can get 2nd giggle tried all methods, deleted save data replayed again nothing when you guys are using the supplied mic and ear piece are you setting it up so that the sound comes from the ear piece or just the mic being on?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally tried it myself and was completely floored by what they managed to achieve with a single hallway. I was skeptical but it really was quite nerve wracking. It finally feels as if the right team is working on a Silent Hill game.

Batzi

Banned
So there's really no clear solution for this yet. I think that's what Kojima meant when he said he expected us to solve it after a week of trying. I don't think he knows that we are randomly triggering the ending without knowing how to solve the puzzle.

cchum

I'm stuck in the halls that are endless with the madness effects. What the hell next?

Oops wrong part, but you'll be stuck afterwards anyway.... Start at phone. Wait until chimes and music starts at phone, take ten steps to radio, hear baby giggle. Next who knows....try to figure out how to trigger the giggles AKA welcome to the party

Edit: just noticed that after I triggered the call. The
hell and sorry Lisa
completely vanished....not sure why that is.

Got the first laugh doing the ten steps

Second laugh by just staring into the bathroom mirror until she showed up behind me. It took two hauntings in the mirror to get the second giggle

Piers

I believe so, better leaving this as something to remember than making it canon. Though I wonder if any of the family or the guy you are controlling are actually in the real game. Having him in FP is like having the option in other 3rd person games, except this one is throughout the entire length of the teaser. What I'm mostly talking about is how he looks in front of the mirror. I don't think we'll see a 2014 release. lol :'(

It's possible his design (costume wise) could change during development; Kojima Productions haven't even decided on the camera system, yet. Interesting point on the family, it would be neat if they were referenced in the game itself. Imagine seeing exterior of P.T.'s house, made apparent from the ghost leering at you from inside. :p

You're right about the possibility that P.T.'s protagonist could be Silent Hills' protagonist as well. It can't be a coincidence that he's carrying a flashlight in the teaser (the streets didn't look that dark) - though it's unusual his voice in the teaser is subtly connect to him. You can hear the voice gradually change from radio-filtered to in-person during "-bringing my new toys with me."

Find the frame on the ground and look through the hole in the wall.

So I did that and it brought me to a normal hallway. After going through the door for the loop the game started glitching out and the numbers were spoken repeatedly. Then the game stopped with a yellow error message which I translated as "I will call later". Now it's back to the bell ringing and the ghost haunting and killing me. WTF. I missed something and it brought me back?

Gameboy415

I managed to complete P.T. on Friday night and I absolutely loved the whole experience!
I played in surround sound with all of the lights off which made everything much more immersive.

I was able to trigger the ending in the final loop by doing the following:
-zoom in on the clock until it changes to 00:00
*baby laugh*
-zoom in on the baby in the sink
*baby laugh*
-zoom in on the river painting/message beneath it (near the front door)
*baby laugh & controller started rumbling*
-zoom in on phone until a message states "You've been chosen"
-go through normal exit door

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I had the blue flashlight and was chatting with a friend (who was also playing P.T.) using the pack-in PS4 headset.

cchum

So I did that and it brought me to a normal hallway. After going through the door for the loop the game started glitching out and the numbers were spoken repeatedly. Then the game stopped with a yellow error message which I translated as "I will call later". Now it's back to the bell ringing and the ghost haunting and killing me. WTF. I missed something and it brought me back?

You're stuck in what everyone's trying to figure out. Wait for the bell and for it and the noises to stop, take ten steps, try to figure the rest out

Ryuuga

Banned
Sounds odd, but maybe there are multiple ways to accomplish the game.
Hideo even suggested to play the game with headphones, which fortifies the theory of finding the haunting spot by listening carfully (besides intensifying fear ;-) )

I read some posters saying they got the second giggle just by standing still and pausing the game. As we know you can´t really pause the game, the haunting proceeds just without the noise. I would guess that standing near a hot spot while pausing the game means that at some point the ghost was at the same place as the player which triggers the final giggle. Maybe this was deliberately implemented by Hideo to mitigate frustrations, don´t know.

Yeah the game logic continues to run so if she was haunting that area they'll manage to get the giggle while paused. When we consider all the variables for completion it'd be best to figure out the why instead of the how.

So after my massive trial session I can tell you what seems to not matter.

1. Speaking into the mic is not needed, just have the mic on.
2. There is no need to zoom in look at objects. I basically never R3ed anything last night and got it about 30 times.
3. You can beat it possessed or not possessed.
4. You can get giggle during and outside a haunting though it seems to happen during hauntings more.
5. Everything involved with Lisa, where she is, what she was looking at, what noise she makes, etc. does not lead to a any consistent pattern.
6. Since you can get the giggle while possessed, when lisa does not haunt anymore, it shows that where Lisa is is not really the key.
7. You can get the giggle while standing, walking, or paused. I have walked into a giggle before. I got a giggle while being eaten before (which leads to the theory that lisa's actions are completely independent of the second giggle)
8. Stuff like the picture pieces, the colored lights, and hidden messages mean nothing to getting the giggle.

Here are things that seem to increase your chances for whatever reason.

1. Going to where Lisa was last does seem to be a good strategy as this is probably the most consistent way of getting the second giggle. Though I feel this is more to due with spots than Lisa.
2. There definitely seems to be trigger spots these are areas where the 2nd giggle occurs frequently. I think if you consistently stand or move around these spots you may get it. Spots where I have gotten a giggle are:
  • At phone
  • At mirror
  • Outside bathroom door in hallway (or the second outside window if you want to look at it that way)
  • In hallway right before the hall opens to the radio room
  • At radio (can also be picture)
  • In basement
  • At the entrance (where the loop begins) while backed against the door
  • In the hall of the entrance but close to where it opens into the clock area
3. Whatever triggers this somehow can be activated by doing nothing but standing in one spot at times. Because this is possible it basically rules out having to do some sequence of events and seems to be tied to a TIME and PLACE.
4. For sure have your mic on, as far as I can tell it is required.
5. It is entirely possible that the requirements of getting the second giggle change. Strategies work consistently at some points, other times it stops working.
6. Hauntings last EXACTLY one minute. The intervals between hauntings change. I have no clue if this means anything.

Thats the best I got.

K' Dash

I think the gane glitched on me, in the last loop after the bells and the first giggle I could hear Lisa behind me all the time when I stood up, but when I started walking it would stop, this went for a good 30 min, I had to loop and start again to get the ending.

cjp

I think the gane glitched on me, in the last loop after the bells and the first giggle I could hear Lisa behind me all the time when I stood up, but when I started walking it would stop, this went for a good 30 min, I had to loop and start again to get the ending.

That's possession.

JVIDICAN

On my second play through at the last loop now. 2 things new I've noticed. I got a black screen at the "glitch" part. Text was along the lines of "note fix this damn bug(cause ???) Before release" and a Swedish voice randomly spoke while paused at the last loop.

cchum

Got two giggles but no phone ring. What's next

Try again. You moved the controller. you have to freeze when you hear the second

Edit: got it again. Sequence was
1.start at radio and wedding photo until after first haunting
2. Move ten steps to phone (First giggle)until after second haunting(turned around, saw her, she froze and disappeared in hallway).
3.went into the bathroom and waited (2 and 3)
Don't think I talked that much

Edit 2: don't know if I believe the don't move one or "see and hear her" method.

Fox Mulder

This was masterful up until the final puzzle, which is some first class bullshit.
Soured the entire experience.

I've only watched videos of people playing it, but I can excuse a brick wall existing at the end just for the sake of extending the teaser.

the atmosphere is great and it looks amazing. Hopefully the real game won't be full of obtuse puzzles and shit.

SkylineRKR

So yeah I got the second/third giggle when I heard her 'radio version'. I walked to the Radio and got it.

Again the third haunting I think.

For first giggle I walked 10 steps into the wall.

EL CUCO

I just went through it again for a 2nd time. Got it all done in about 30min. Baby giggles on one try.

Definitely walking from radio to phone after bells for the 1st giggles. Then, just took a walk to bathroom, then radio and focused on radio once, then just waited.

One thing I noticed, in the beginning the murder report said that the dad would lure the daughter out by saying "its just a game".

I did say "come out baby, its just a game" on the mic, but not sure if it had any real effect on the outcome.

Has anybody figured out what the different color screens mean, just prior to starting the final puzzle?

First run I got a red screen. This time I got a black one.

Asbear

Banned
Oh come on, sure it's tedious but it in now way sullies how great the rest of the teaser is

It's like when people said the end to Mass Effect 3 ruined the 90 or so hours leading up to it.

EDIT: GameGrumps played it, funny stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5AF_m3-4I

I agree. P.T. is not ruined by the final puzzle. The whole game is so obscure and it just feels natural to make progression much more so at the final moment.

With that said, ME3 does ruin the 90-hour storytelling with its ending, but then again. The majority of ME3's story was shit anyway, so bad analogy.

Just finished the game. Loved it. Haven't experienced true horror like this since SH2. One thing i didn't see in my playthrough was the
ghost in the window

Can anybody point me to a video or an image with that ghost, i'd appreciate it.

Btw, is there supposed to be a ghost in the bathtub at some point? Seems like that bathroom was made for you turning around and suddenly a scary as fuck ghost just stands there.
Just saw a twiching ghost in the mirror at some point near the end.

Btw 2, the nopeiest moment in the game has to be
either the ghost on the balcony or the thing in the bathroom door gap. Almost died when those things appeared.

SkylineRKR

Is it possible, that the solution is a combination of her type of sound + her location. So those 2 need to match?

So when she makes her crying noise AND is in the bathroom, you should get it. This is how I got the ending 2 times at the Radio.

TCRS

Banned
I'm currently stuck (I don't even know which loop, I didn't count) but that's enough for now, I already pissed myself. damn I loved this. looks great and dat dense haunting atmosphere. fucking brilliant, can't wait for the full game.

Just completed it today.

I had to look up the final step with the giggles and stuff and still have no idea how I triggered the second one. I had tried everything and finally was just standing around by the radio in the foyer and it randomly started.

Very cool teaser though, I really hope more devs try this with other genres as well.

SkylineRKR

Just finished the game. Loved it. Haven't experienced true horror like this since SH2. One thing i didn't see in my playthrough was the
ghost in the window

Can anybody point me to a video or an image with that ghost, i'd appreciate it.

Btw, is there supposed to be a ghost in the bathtub at some point? Seems like that bathroom was made for you turning around and suddenly a scary as fuck ghost just stands there.
Just saw a twiching ghost in the mirror at some point near the end.

Btw 2, the nopeiest moment in the game has to be
either the ghost on the balcony or the thing in the bathroom door gap. Almost died when those things appeared.

This fucking scare?

10592862_1461715464091506_8362483188380663114_n.jpg

I agree. P.T. is not ruined by the final puzzle. The whole game is so obscure and it just feels natural to make progression much more so at the final moment.

With that said, ME3 does ruin the 90-hour storytelling with its ending, but then again. The majority of ME3's story was shit anyway, so bad analogy.

It puts a black spot on it but I wouldn't say it ruins it. like I wouldn't tell someone to avoid the trilogy because of the last 15 minutes or anything. I still cared and felt for the characters and their stories leading up to it

Magnus

I love when people on reddit and other forums post solutions and bill them as "100% confirmed solution!" to the final puzzle, and then when countless posters follow up with replies explaining that it didn't work for them, the original posters say "oh, well it worked for me."

So fucking obnoxious. You didn't solve shit. Congrats on stumbling on the ending.

I am thoroughly confounded. Just turned this on an went through the repeating hallway at least times. Now hear a crying baby through a cracked door I can't walk through. All doors are locked. Wtf?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
All the "100% confirmed, this absolutely works guys!" solutions are BS. I've tried so many of them, and nothing has worked for me. I did eventually complete it, but not by following any supposedly working sequence, only a vague strategy that had worked for some people. I got possessed and walked around looking at random crap for a while, then stood by the phone again (as I had done so many times before with no result), and suddenly I got the second giggle. Waited, then got the third and the phone call. No idea what actually triggered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom