• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pach-Attack!

UltimaPooh said:
Digital Distribution and 3g/4g should and hopefully is the near future for handhelds.

I agree but that would drive up the cost and limit accessibility. Sony needs to make the PSP appealing a cost effective so that every kid will want to have one and their partents can afford to buy them one.

But they can also make a 3g enabled PSP2 with all the bells and whistes so they can also go after the high tech crowd.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I expect Sony to announce a successor to the PSP sometime this year. I think the current models are a dead end, including the PSP Go.

Whatever Sony does it has to solve the medium problem. Currently delivering games on UMD is helpful because it gets big games to the consumer reasonably. Downloading games online is actually frustrating. I personally use my PS3 to download big games and then use USB to install them on the PSP (PSP Go).

There has to be a middle ground somewhere. We'll see what Sony does.

Minamu

It still lacks a variety of reasons for pushing the power button. They can continue to fix the hardware all they want, that won't magically solve the problem with an absurd lack of quality titles. It has gotten better but it's still fairly laughable, especially after 5 years on the market.

Cipherr

DennisK4 said:
PSP2 as a multi-purpose device? Don't care. At all. I bought the PSP because it offered much better visuals than the DS.

If the PSP2 does not exceed the graphical capablities of the 3DS, I will just be getting the Nintendo handheld for next gen.

smh

Celine

bmf said:
Did he just push WiiHD back to 2011?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

2011 is arguable - 2012 is more likely. I'm willing to push MS and Sony back to 2013-2015 due to 3rd party reluctance. When we start hearing from 3rd parties about how they're looking forward to the next generation, then we can probably say that MS and Sony have new consoles incoming.
:lol

sdornan

DanteFox said:
ah ok. so it was at least a defensible decision back then. but now.... I think cartridges make plenty of sense. probably more-so for a handheld.

Definitely. They could even use modified SD cards.

Owzers

qwerty2k said:
i kow he probably didn't mean it how it sounded but he said mass effect 2 like he had it on both ps3 and 360...

Indeed...but let's not be the nerds he's talking about and complain about it :D The trap has been laid, resist!

I wish he would not put so much attention to the flamers and haters and more to the content and questions.
I like the new ep, I think he is right why put an ad in the end of a game when most people do not finish games.
But I do think for spots and racing games its a good option to make some money for the dev and keep the world they create "real".

totowhoa

Banned
Almost made a thread on in-game ads and the future of it, but he pretty much summed up what I would have said. If On-live or some future iteration of that tech catches hold, we'll probably see a lot more of it. If that means cheaper game prices or the salvation for companies who want to make high-end games, then I'm okay with it as long as it isn't too invasive.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
That was the best episode yet. Finally a concise breakdown of where the $60 goes. Loved the use of Mattick at the end. :lol

BorkBork said:
World War II was shorter than the era of the WWII shooters. :lol
That joke is old Zero punk made that about 1.5 years ago :lol :lol.
OT: LOVED the new ep, especially the end with the money breakdown I really enjoyed that information.
The only thing I would say about Alan wake it took about 35 people to make the game so the cost are A LOT less even is it took them 6 years.
(because they are with less people working on the game it took them so long)

Its a chicken and egg story do you want fast developed AAA game you need AC2 kind of team of +-300 people, you can take your time on a game with 40 people but than you can't create that type of game in 18 to 24 months.

Excellent episode. Really enjoyed the question about the price breakdown on games.

I hope that Alan Wake does well.

Edit: Clarification

donny2112

As to the public's fascination with WWII, it was due to Saving Private Ryan. Medal of Honor came out after that, and everybody sort of copied that. James Bond didn't do too well after Goldeneye, and Sci-Fi usually requires coming up with something from scratch. WWII is very concrete and doesn't require coming up with the overall story. They just need to do the individual's story, and then place them in well-known battles.

That said, I'm glad there's a de-emphasis on WWII shooters, too. One of the main reasons I was looking forward to The Conduit (along with the controls) was that it was not a WWII FPS. That's pretty rare on the Wii, unlike on PS360 where you've got the Bioshocks, Rainbow Sixes, Riddick, GRAW, etc. With Call of Duty and Medal of Honor moving on, it does look like the end of major WWII FPS, for the moment.

For anyone who wants to know Pachter's breakdown on game prices, here's what he said for a standard $60 game.

$12 - retailer
$12 (PS360) / $10 (Wii) - console manufacturer

Following are quite variable:
~$10 for R&D (basically overhead for keeping people on the clock; varies based on how much the game sells, since salary is a fixed cost that doesn't increase with more sales)
~$8-$9 for marketing (~15% of what they think they'll sell based on a $60 price)

Rest of it goes to publisher. The actual question was how much goes to the developer, though, and that wasn't clearly stated. Probably has a whole lot of variance based on the contract, though. Some contracts may not even be based on sales (e.g. Factor 5's deal with Sony for Lair).

By the way, nice Professor Layton hat in the background. :)

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
bmf said:
Excellent episode. Really enjoyed the question about the price breakdown on games.

I hope that Alan Wake does well.

Edit: Clarification

uh for your spoiler tag
Remedy does have a pretty small team working on it, comparatively, so hopefully that end of the stick is ok...the whole SKU doubles money thing...maybe a reason for no PC version? But the architecture of the 360 and a pc are so similar....

Anyways, hope Pachter can talk about Demon's Souls and SCEA's blunder... bet Pachter is a smoking Black Demon as well...invade your game and give you shitty stock tips.

jett

D-Member
Really interesting ep, to see another pricetag breakdown. This means console owners get a $48 return on their first party games. Kinda huge.

DanteFox said:
ah ok. so it was at least a defensible decision back then. but now.... I think cartridges make plenty of sense. probably more-so for a handheld.

For a handheld yes, but certainly not for a console. Even so the biggest DS cart is a far cry from a 2GB UMD...but of course the DS doesn't need that at all.

Anony

jett said:
Really interesting ep, to see another pricetag breakdown. This means console owners get a $48 return on their first party games. Kinda huge.

For a handheld yes, but certainly not for a console. Even so the biggest DS cart is a far cry from a 2GB UMD...but of course the DS doesn't need that at all.
umd is 1.4 gb i think
and the biggest cart 2 gigabits now, which is 256mb i think (unless i am mixing up something, ash is using the biggest cart, 2 gigabits, but i think they recently announced that love plus+ are using even bigger carts?, 4gigabits?)

jett

D-Member
Anony said:
umd is 1.4 gb i think
and the biggest cart 2 gigabits now, which is 256mb i think (unless i am mixing up something, ash is using the biggest cart, 2 gigabits, but i think they recently announced that love plus+ are using even bigger carts?, 4gigabits?)

It's 1.8GB, it seems. A 4gb cart would still be almost 1/4th the size. But of course surely the 3DS will use carts bigger than that.

chubigans said:
Haha, loved the quip about gamers never leaving the house. :lol
OMG and the ending :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Great ep again, but plz just let the flamers flame and don't comment an them just focus on the stuff you want to tell the audience.
I understand all the things you tell us, and everything you say or anybody else for that mater does not cover 100% of the market.
My reaction that is is DUHH there are always exceptions.

I think live will cost more but not for game related stuff just for "extras" like IPTV and shows.
And always keep in mind:
The International audience does not have all the "extra" stuff so they can't rise the price in the USA and than give nothing extra to the rest of the world.
So for gaming the price of XBL will stay the same, at least that is what I think.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Good stuff, though I have to wonder how well Mass Effect 3 would do on the PS3 at this point. If it pulls Bioshock 2 numbers...I dunno if that would be good enough.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nice little episode there. Apparently Pach has heard that the 3DS is pretty easy to develop for, too.

shwimpy

only 300,000 subscribers on Gamefly? Interesting...

top notch service btw... have had it for about 2 years and not one single complaint from me.

atomsk

Party Pooper
shwimpy said:
only 300,000 subscribers on Gamefly? Interesting...

top notch service btw... have had it for about 2 years and not one single complaint from me.

i've had it about 11 months now, and have rented 29 games. :lol

gabe90

Dipswitch said:
Is this available via iTunes? The only way I get to watch these shows is during my work commute.
I have the same question. Would love to get this via iTunes if possible, or subscribe in some way so I can watch on my iPhone.

gabe90 said:
I have the same question. Would love to get this via iTunes if possible, or subscribe in some way so I can watch on my iPhone.

go to the video, log in, click on download and then chose either mov or mp4.
that's how I do it on my iPhone, at least.

Top Bottom