• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "The handheld market sucks", "PS Vita is a joke" and more.

Skyzard

Banned
It makes more sense if MS pushed a tablet with the xbox 3, especially if they are trying to be an entertainment hub.

Says the guy who claimed Vita sales would reach the moon, just as soon as the world woke up and realized what they were missing.

Because 'reaching the moon' sounds totally serious :p

antitrop

Is there a reason that they pay him to make prediction when he's wrong almost all of the time?
He doesn't do the Gametrailers show for a paycheck and his actual career is far more complicated than just throwing out predictions for fun.

He didn't get an MBA just to fuck with internet message board posters.

Duxxy3

2013 looks to be the strongest year the 3DS has ever had, maybe the strongest it will ever have. You've got at least 1 big title coming out for the next 6 months or so, then Pokemon, and whatever Nintendo's got lined up for the holiday. If it doesn't sell well in the West after this year, I'm not sure it ever will.

If it doesn't do DS numbers, that's fine; neither did the PSP, but it did okay for itself.

Pokemon along with another price drop could get the 3DS back on track in the west.

Zizbuka

Banned
I absolutely agree that the Vita does too much.
Cut functionality, cut price, make games for it.

And those fucking memory cards are criminal.

Cut out some of the gimmicky stuff, switch it to microSD, lower the price and I'm in. Refuse to buy anything that uses proprietary memory in 2013.

The_Monk

I believe that anyone in that position should try to talk into a more professional way when getting this type of attention. You can still make a point but, in a polite manner. It seems that, talking like this is just an easier way to generate more negative talk.

I have no idea how the Vita sales are, right now. I can only say that I got one myself last week and with a (Euro) PS Plus subscription it's an amazing device. Perhaps the focus on portable gaming is more directed to Iphones and similar devices? Again, I'm not on par with the selling numbers on the market, just wondering.

Dalthien

Yes but it certainly needs to be doing a hell of a lot better than it currently is before I'll call it a success.

The 3DS was released in 2011, and it's performance thus far has been:

Top-selling gaming system worldwide in 2011 (consoles included)
Top-selling gaming system worldwide in 2012 (consoles included)
It will certainly be the top-selling gaming system worldwide in 2013 (consoles included)

But it can't be thought of as a success...

It does not matter who he criticize he will be bashed anyway.

EsMxG8T.gif

Fusebox

Banned
I believe that anyone in that position should try to talk into a more professional way when getting this type of attention. You can still make a point but, in a polite manner. It seems that, talking like this is just an easier way to generate more negative talk.

Exactly.

Saying Vita is a joke and nobody owns one is just junior member levels of trolling.

inky

Exactly.

Saying Vita is a joke and nobody owns one is just junior member levels of trolling.

Well, not everyone is bound by GAF's civility guidelines ;P Plus he's doing an entertainment show, aimed at GT's audience.

Not to say I agree with him or his ways, but we at GAF shouldn't be this easy to get riled up when that is his very intent.

Vexxan

The new handheld have been looking better and better lately even if they're not doing as good as the previous gen. There's a lot of the way to 3DS and we've had some good games the past week according to the reviews...looks worse for the Vita though, not too excited about remakes or indie games I already played on PC but there are definitely people that are excited about that.

I would have been happy if the Vita was just a more powerful PSP without the touchy stuff, which I find totally unnecessary. They tried too hard to mimic mobile gaming and I bet that raised the cost of it a lot.

Pachter sounded a bit too harsh this time. Maybe he's just bad with words or w/e he said last time he made a weird statement.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hi Michael!!!!

PlayStation’s Director of Product Planning and Platform Software Innovation Don Mesa revealed that more than 100 titles will come to PlayStation Vita in 2013 alone.
...and they're all going to be FREE on EU PlayStation Plus!

:p

I should consider getting a Vita when it becomes more affordable, I've already got quite the backlog for it

Currently saving up for a second-hand 3DS

BlazinAm

I think he is right if there is another higher end handheld it would probably eat into the current market and there isn't a lot of growth most likely due to mobile devices.

Zia

Well, he's right. The best games of 2013 so far are iOS exclusive while Vita and 3DS cling to scraps as farmed out ports of indie games done better on PC and Mac and B-tier Nintendo franchises such as Luigi's Mansion. I enjoy my 3DS, and less so my Vita, but they're looking increasingly marginalized in the West.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't have a problem with most of what he said. Obviously Sony should have not used OLED and instead used a cheaper screen tech to cut down on costs. Also microSD cards!

Skyzard

Banned
Well, he's right. The best games of 2013 so far are iOS exclusive while Vita and 3DS cling to scraps as farmed out ports of indie games done better on PC and Mac and B-tier Nintendo franchises such as Luigi's Mansion. I enjoy my 3DS, and less so my Vita, but they're looking increasingly marginalized in the West.

Wut.

Also handhelds like the Vita are much more convenient and suitable for indies, which tend not be worth firing up, waiting by, and sitting down at your computer for.

[whoosh]

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
He's right. When I hear that things are too good, it makes me want to avoid them at all costs.

Sony shouldn't have tried to make the Vita a do-it-all premium gaming device. They should have just made it a cheaper ($150 or less) device which has high-end graphics and few other features.

The 3DS was released in 2011, and it's performance thus far has been:

Top-selling gaming system worldwide in 2011 (consoles included)
Top-selling gaming system worldwide in 2012 (consoles included)
It will certainly be the top-selling gaming system worldwide in 2013 (consoles included)

But it can't be thought of as a success...

What? This is the worst argument ever! It's competing against systems which have been out for anything from 5 to almost 10 years now. It's also outselling the Vita and Wii U, but those systems are considered abject failures with anemic sales.

Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mario & Luigi. Where are your iOS gods now?

Keslord

Banned

73525e11524e6ffa86753b9d29281bc97d180c2b

Tiktaalik

The handheld market sucks so much that Nintendo posted their best ever Fire Emblem sales on it.

Snarkyness aside... He's actually pretty much right on all this stuff. The 3DS is a great product for hardcore gamers and playing Nintendo games but barring a surprise mainstream crossover success (Animal Crossing?) it's unlikely that'll achieve the sales of the DS. The Vita is a great product looking for a market. Many folks who bought a PSP for MP3/Video and pure gadget lust are going to be much better satisfied with the latest hot smartphone.

sleepykyo

Third/forth he's right. The 360 isn't about games and the Vita is to be polite over-engineered. All the developer praise regarding the PS4 makes me think, it might end up being over-engineered for mainstream pricing/adoption as well

Zia

Oh boy, the Nintendo avatar brigade is out in force, posting Gamerankings (which, not as if it mattered, does not count iOS reviews).

That's puzzling. PS4 is designed around it quite a bit. The force must be strong if you still think otherwise.

Huh, I must have missed the part of the Feb. 20 event where Sony announced a free Vita bundled with every PS4.

Sarcasm aside, using Vita as a completely optional controller/streaming accessory does not equate to "design[ing PS4] around it quite a bit," and selling Vita as a $200 accessory to a $400 console is neither a short-term nor a long-term strategy; it seems more like flailing about for something vaguely resembling one.

Also: please, god, no List Warz.

Ramsiege

I agree with Pachter regarding the Vita.

The problems with the Vita are:

1.) It's demographic doesn't exist. Cool 20-somethings aren't going to lug around a Vita and actually play them in public. Playing a handheld in college, on the bus, at the library isn't perceived as cool, therefore it isn't. Also, kids don't see anything on there they want to play, as all the games are aimed at older players.

2.) Expensive proprietary memory sticks. A decent amount of memory shouldn't be more than $20.

3.) Handheld players aren't looking for console sized games for their handhelds. Handheld players, for the most part, want a quick distraction while they get from point A to point B. If they wanted to play a big huge time consuming game, they'll play on their PS3.

I think Sony tried to cater too much to the GAF-styled gamer with this product, but GAF styled players are just a very small portion of the gaming community.

Top Bottom