• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "The handheld market sucks", "PS Vita is a joke" and more.

antitrop

Oh boy, the Nintendo avatar brigade is out in force, posting Gamerankings (which, not as if it mattered, does not count iOS reviews).
Is there some amazing Megaton iOS game from this month I don't know about that would rate above 92%?

If so, I want to know so I can download it on my iPhone.

andthebeatgoeson

He means that it has so much functionality and expensive technology that they priced it out of the average gamer's range.

Essentially what he's saying, or my interpretation of it, is that it should just be a game-focused device and extraneous functionality should have been cut to save on cost.
like consoles above $400.

rpmurphy

MS doesn't even need to enter the handheld market when it can't even make a successful business in the phone/tablet market. They've simply have no idea what they're doing in that space, and the fact that they're spreading their poisoned concepts to their actual successful products in an effort to justify them is more worrisome.

spwolf

Then Don Mattrick got there and John Shappert got there. Shappert is a game guy too, but Mattrick went back to the roots and they turned the Xbox into this multimedia device.

he still thinks xbox is the multimedia device since thats what MS PR has told him :)
And 720 will work on that even more with its tuner enabling iptv. obviously.

DaBoss

What the hell is this? You don't say the Vita sucks because it isn't doing well. You say it isn't doing well. Does this guy not know how to say things? He doesn't seem to be able to articulate things well.

Well, he's right. The best games of 2013 so far are iOS exclusive while Vita and 3DS cling to scraps as farmed out ports of indie games done better on PC and Mac and B-tier Nintendo franchises such as Luigi's Mansion. I enjoy my 3DS, and less so my Vita, but they're looking increasingly marginalized in the West.

Would you care to list some of these games?

Oh boy, the Nintendo avatar brigade is out in force, posting Gamerankings (which, not as if it mattered, does not count iOS reviews).

Classy...

Generalizations about avatars always make you look like an idiot.
Anime chicks with pink hair in wedding dresses are lame.
Also, nice job at just responding with an insult instead of actually answering our question, this being, where the hell are the 10+ amazing iOS exclusives for 2013 that beat Pokemon/Animal Crossing/Fire Emblem? C'mon, make us eat delicious crow.

What the hell is this? You don't say the Vita sucks because it isn't doing well. You say it isn't doing well. Does this guy not know how to say things? He doesn't seem to be able to articulate things well.

Would you care to list some of these games?

Classy...

He said the Vita has wonderful, wonderful, wonderful hardware. He said wonderful three times. How many more times does he have to say it?

Skyzard

Banned
Huh, I must have missed the part of the Feb. 20 event where Sony announced a free Vita bundled with every PS4.

Sarcasm aside, using Vita as a completely optional controller/streaming accessory does not equate to "design[ing PS4] around it quite a bit," and selling Vita as a $200 accessory to a $400 console is neither a short-term nor a long-term strategy; it seems more like flailing about for something vaguely resembling one.

Also: please, god, no List Warz.

It will be using the Vita to mimic Wii U's feature of off-tv play (remote has been stated to be a key part - each game will have to have a control scheme for the Vita). I suspect the separate CPU may also be used for streaming too. They can't advertise those features if the product required to use them is discontinued. It's not the long-term strategy, it's clearly supplementation, it's fantastic that they are offering such support with their home console.

antitrop

Hey I was just answering your question.
You certainly did. I downloaded that game a short bit ago and it was interesting, but as good as Fire Emblem?

Hell no and I don't even own a 3DS. I'm just surprised it was that well reviewed is all, people have very low standards for mobile gaming. It's just very difficult to be disappointed by a $2.99 purchase, I get it.

Zia

Eek. "Don't make generalizations!" Then have a horde proceed to play into said generalization.

Bailing out.

VanWinkle

Vita is awesome, but he is right in that there's not much of a market for it. I'm okay with that; I just want it to continue selling enough to keep getting good games.

You certainly did. I downloaded that game a short bit ago and it was interesting, but as good as Fire Emblem?

Hell no and I don't even own a 3DS. I'm just surprised it was that well reviewed is all, people have very low standards for mobile gaming.

Oh I agree. If it instead had released on Vita or 3DS and never been an iOS game I would have no doubt it would have got average ratings. That's just the nature of it being reviewed primarily from mobile sites, where, as you said, the standards are lower.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Vita is awesome, but I do wonder why Sony released it when they didn't (until recently, and that's still not a full push) see any need to put in any effort at all.

Oh god, the Super Crate Box guy is involved in that Fishing one. I shouldn't download it, lest I disappear into a hole of addiction again.

Iknos

The handheld gaming market doesn't suck it just changed.

It's all about iOS and Android. Tons of money to be made there.

Sony was in the perfect position to make a gaming phone that would cater to both markets.

I could have lived with the PSP Go shape and functionality with a touchscreen and Android built in. Dual analog sticks of course.

Had Sony released such a thing that would be my phone right now.

VanWinkle

The handheld gaming market doesn't suck it just changed.

It's all about iOS and Android. Tons of money to be made there.

Sony was in the perfect position to make a gaming phone that would cater to both markets.

I could have lived with the PSP Go shape and functionality with a touchscreen and Android built in. Dual analog sticks of course.

Had Sony released such a thing that would be my phone right now.

Like the Xperia Play?

DaBuddaDa

Pachter has Might and Magic, DOOM, Bloodrayne and Neverwinter Nights boxes behind him in his office therefore everything he says is truth.

Duster

And those fucking memory cards are criminal.

I'm sure that's the biggest problem, they'd sell a lot more Vitas to PS+ subscribers if they were cheaper which would in turn increase the user base and give the system some momentum.
Of course then the issue becomes how do you sell games to people that never need to actually buy a Vita game.

Or maybe he's right and the Vita is just too good.

DaBoss

He said the Vita has wonderful, wonderful, wonderful hardware. He said wonderful three times. How many more times does he have to say it?

So? He then went on to say the Vita sucks, when he meant it isn't selling well. What he said doesn't excuse him of his poor articulation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Every time I see a handheld exclusive game I just think about how much better it would be for both consumers and developers if the game was available in other places.

RedSwirl

I kind of agree with Patch here. A little.

The Vita is a great piece of hardware with far to little unique software. The closest thing to a handheld that fulfills Microsoft's goals is the Windows 8 Phone -- a device to get their OS into people's pockets.

It will be using the Vita to mimic Wii U's feature of off-tv play (remote has been stated to be a key part - each game will have to have a control scheme for the Vita). I suspect the separate CPU may also be used for streaming too. They can't advertise those features if the product required to use them is discontinued. It's not the long-term strategy, it's clearly supplementation, it's fantastic that they are offering such support with their home console.

An accessory is an accessory. Vita can't be both supplementary and something that PS4 is designed around.

While Sony only talked about Vita streaming at the 2/20 conference, their "Remote Play" slide also included images of smartphones and tablets, which raises questions about how essential Vita really is for that purpose.

Every time I see a handheld exclusive game I just think about how much better it would be for both consumers and developers if the game was available in other places.

Isn't that really the case for all games involving any exclusivity whatsoever?

So? He then went on to say the Vita sucks, when he meant it isn't selling well. What he said doesn't excuse him of his poor articulation.

It sucks as a product, from a business perspective, which is what Patcher speaks from. While I think you're right that it's not a great way of saying it, context makes what he's saying not really that strong.

Bedlam

He also stated the reasons for why I most likely will switch from MS back to Sony for my primary console experience. MS can go **** itself with its entertainment kinect box.

The handheld market doesn't suck, although it's on a decline. I agree with him that the Vita is a joke (even though I know he's talking about it in terms of sales), though. Seriously one of the worst first years I've ever experienced with a system, and I absolutely regret buying it, even though I got it for only $125. The future for it looks absolutely grim, which sucks since the hardware itself is so good.

Oh well, I have Ys to look forward to.

BTW, I see where Pachter is coming from on PS4/Durango. While there are far too many unknowns to make any real prediction, the "entertainment box" approach seems better suited for the 2013 market to me than Sony's seeming approach of focusing on core gaming with high-end graphics as the primary differentiator.

Hattori

Banned
The handheld market doesn't suck, although it's on a decline. I agree with him that the Vita is a joke, though. Seriously one of the worst first years I've ever experienced with a system, and I absolutely regret buying it, even though I got it for only $125.

but you gotta admit it is a pretty slick device, and 125 that's pretty much a steal since PSPs still cost around that

Because then they wouldn't be tied to decrepit platforms and outdated business models while having the potential to reach a significantly broader audience.

Games support the platform, not the other way round. If you want something on a particular platform, you buy said platform. It works that way for everything, on an exclusive basis moreso. Is the potential amount of sales on an iOS version of Animal Crossing enough to make Nintendo abandon the 3DS, or worse really, have a version that's 3 times more expensive on the 3DS competing with the iOS version? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever from a business point of view. More platforms doesn't always mean more sales.

VanWinkle

The handheld market doesn't suck, although it's on a decline. I agree with him that the Vita is a joke (even though I know he's talking about it in terms of sales), though. Seriously one of the worst first years I've ever experienced with a system, and I absolutely regret buying it, even though I got it for only $125. The future for it looks absolutely grim, which sucks since the hardware itself is so good.

It had one of the best first years I've ever experienced with a system.

Bgamer90

Banned
Everything is said is pretty much true.

Is this "controversial" due to the tone that he said it? Because yeah -- what he said is pretty much on point.

While he said it weirdly, his overall point - that with the shrunken handheld market there's no room left for additional competitors - is spot-on.

And yeah, 3DS' YOY declines are troubling. Wonder how much Pokemon will do to reverse or slow that.

See, the main issue they had was that they didn't really release any big system sellers in the West last year. The most profile title was NSMB2 and NSMB games are less system sellers and more of a staple that people get after they already own the system. Other than that they did release some good titles but nothing to actually sell consoles.

This year, however, they already have at least one huge holiday system seller - Pokemon - so that title alone makes this year's line-up 100x better from a business standpoint.

Top Bottom