• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "The handheld market sucks", "PS Vita is a joke" and more.

So, why aren't western devs supporting the 3DS then?

Western devs have never been particularly bullish on dedicated handhelds in general.

EDIT: With limited exceptions for the first couple years or so of PSP's lifespan, but that can largely be attributed to the perceived inevitability of its success as a new PlayStation platform.

bunbun777

reversepsy_zps1a314506.jpg

RM8

If DS AKA the best selling gaming device ever released didn't attract a ton of Western support, I'm not sure what's so surprising about 3DS not getting it either. And as has been mentioned plenty of times already, Western developers mostly don't care about handhelds, period.

Either this is sarcasm or Rm88 is from bizarro world where 3DS only has a port of 2011's Xbox 360/PS3 hit Resi Revelations to look forward to...
Sarcasm indeed.

DaBoss

If DS AKA the best selling gaming device ever released didn't attract a ton of Western support, I'm not sure what's so surprising about 3DS not getting it either. And as has been mentioned plenty of times already, Western developers mostly don't care about handhelds, period.

Well unless you include indies for the 3DS and the Vita. Western indies seem fine with handhelds, which makes sense due to low dev cost and etc.

We won't see many big handheld games from Western pubs though.

The one thing I don't get is

" not a prayer of making money on vita"

Aren't they in profit already? Not to say its selling well but with the memory cards and attatch rate I swear they said they are already making money

Spinoffs of huge western 3rd party games, made by B/C teams and Gameloft.

I don't think there's been ONE large-budget, non-spinoff Western handheld IP.

That really says a lot about Western developer sentiment. Handhelds are a uniquely Japanese phenomenon. Japanese gamers + developers are overwhelmingly entranced by them.

So the Vita not being a Japanese-focused console...is partially why it's struggling so much.

cj_iwakura

In case it wasn't clear, he's talking about this from a business perspective, not a "What are cj_iwakura's favorite games?" perspective.

I'm well aware of that, but I'm pretty sure handheld games are still frequently topping the charts in Japan, so he's wrong on that count too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Aren't they in profit already? Not to say its selling well but with the memory cards and attatch rate I swear they said they are already making money
Does that make up for years of R&D and marketing?

VanWinkle

I don't think there's been ONE large-budget, non-spinoff Western handheld IP.

That really says a lot about Western developer sentiment. Handhelds are a uniquely Japanese phenomenon. Japanese gamers + developers are overwhelmingly entranced by them.

So the Vita not being a Japanese-focused console...is partially why it's struggling so much.

Tearaway coming up, but I'm sure there are more. I just can't think of anymore off the top of my head. Unit 13 was probably decent budget.

Bgamer90

Banned
His suggestion about the "3 month window" for used games is really good I think.

The people that buy used games don't care about getting games as soon as they come out. If they did, they would get them new -- especially since used games (at least at gamestop) are only a little bit less in price than the new games during the first month of release.

And heck, with some games having online passes, it may end up being the exact same price as the new game.

Bgamer90

Banned
And Western devs in general (not just 3DS) are trash at supporting handhelds.

Western devs are focusing on iOS since in the American market, handhelds are becoming viewed as being pretty outdated.

Handhelds are doing really well in the Japanese market which is why a lot of high quality handheld games come from there.

matmanx1

Sarcasm indeed.

The Wii didn't get as much third party support as it probably should have gotten either, most notably from key "hardcore" game studios like Bethesda, Bioware, Rockstar, etc. Some of that could be attributed to the lesser horsepower of the Wii as compared to the HD twins but some of the reason is Nintendo themselves and that also holds true with the DS. Just because a Nintendo device sells well doesn't automatically guarantee great support. Nintendo is in a unique (and unfortunate) situation with regards to third party relations, especially in the West.

I also think that in the beginning of the PS Vita's life there was the hope that Western devs would get more on board with designing for the device because it was more powerful, easier to code for and had twin thumbsticks and a gorgeous screen. The Vita certainly had the hype to be the handheld "savior" in the West. I don't think that dream is dead yet but I also think it's already looking pretty grim with the sales numbers being what they are.

I think the flood of Indie titles announced recently are a good sign because almost all of them are from Western devs which at least shows platform awareness. There's still a lack of key tentpole titles from third party's but at least we have some decent first party stuff to look forward to later in the year and the promise of some notable PS3/PSV titles like the FFX HD Remaster. Sony really needs to drop the price of the device and the memory and up their advertising to really help the Vita's chances though.

Lexxism

Well, he's right. The best games of 2013 so far are iOS exclusive while Vita and 3DS cling to scraps as farmed out ports of indie games done better on PC and Mac and B-tier Nintendo franchises such as Luigi's Mansion. I enjoy my 3DS, and less so my Vita, but they're looking increasingly marginalized in the West.

Haha. This guy can't even answer the guys who quoted him about the iOS exclusive games. :lol

If there's any post-launch quote stating that the Vita business is currently profitable, I'm not aware of it. All we know right now is that that was the plan prior to launch, but that was also when Sony was still expecting to sell 10 million Vitas this fiscal year. Possibly more, actually, given that nearly a year elapsed between the quotes I'm referring to and that forecast.

RM8

I'm convinced you need a very particular mindset to be able to enjoy phone gaming. Because I'm open to all platforms I keep buying games on iOS, Android and even Windows Phone. I enjoy enough Reckless Racing 2 and Super Monkey Ball 2... but wow, I'd cry if my handheld gaming was limited to that.

VanWinkle

If there's any post-launch quote stating that the Vita business is currently profitable, I'm not aware of it. All we know right now is that that was the plan prior to launch, but that was also when Sony was still expecting to sell 10 million Vitas this fiscal year.

Yeah, we don't really know for sure either way. However, they were using off-the-shelf parts, and things get cheaper as time goes on, so it's certainly feasible that they could be making a profit as of now.

Skyzard

Banned
An accessory is an accessory. Vita can't be both supplementary and something that PS4 is designed around.

While Sony only talked about Vita streaming at the 2/20 conference, their "Remote Play" slide also included images of smartphones and tablets, which raises questions about how essential Vita really is for that purpose.

I remember those images but it's pretty clear that will be very limited. They have to force developers to come up with control schemes for PS4 -> Vita when it's only missing a few buttons. Imagine the chaos with anything else.

I meant that the PS4 was supplementing the reasons to get a Vita. Remote play is clearly not something that would be compulsory but they have focused on it considerably.

When are you now expecting the discontinuation? Before the PS4 launch? Shortly after..? Perhaps next year now? How would it be in their interest again?

While Sony only talked about Vita streaming at the 2/20 conference, their "Remote Play" slide also included images of smartphones and tablets, which raises questions about how essential Vita really is for that purpose.

I think remote play is limited to vita, 2nd screen includes vita and tablets/smartphones.

By the way doesnt Mr Patcher have a user on NeoGAF in which case is there any reason whatsoever we have others post his opinions ?

This this this. Patcher manages to troll GAF, and the Internet in general, for hits without ever actually having to generate any effort, content or substance. He just says some shit, and angry nerds gobble it up and sow his seed all over message boards everywhere. Do not feed the troll.

That said, he's probably right about the vita.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This this this. Patcher manages to troll GAF, and the Internet in general, for hits without ever actually having to generate any effort, content or substance. He just says some shit, and angry nerds gobble it up and sow his seed all over message boards everywhere. Do not feed the troll.

This is why I don't get mad at what he says. In fact, I kinda smile every time a thread is made about him because I know I'll get a good laugh at people foaming at the mouth getting ready to write a tirade about how stupid and wrong he is.

I absolutely agree that the Vita does too much.
Cut functionality, cut price, make games for it.

And those fucking memory cards are criminal.

But isnt that what a lot of developers are looking for? A lot of functionality to pick and choose from?
I don't own a PSVita, but what functionality is too much? What would you cut out?

Skyzard

Banned
But isnt that what a lot of developers are looking for? A lot of functionality to pick and choose from?
I don't own a PSVita, but what functionality is too much? What would you cut out?

Only thing I can imagine is the rear-touch pad being extra. We don't know how much it costs to implement. I still like it though I use a grip with the Vita making accidental inputs unlikely. It's nice with LBP and certain situations. Not compulsory by any means though, especially when it has a front touch screen already.

Tbh I wish they added more to it, like better triggers, perhaps even anologue r2/l2.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

I think the vita can do without the OLED screen, the overpriced proprietary memory card instead of SD card, 3G and the back touch pad. They don't affect the game quality output much, and there's nothing out from the back touch pad either.

Basically, its a jack of all trade, master of none. It is like a supercomputer rather than an ordinary computer. It have too many things that are nice to have, but not really needed.

This is one of the rare times I actually agree with Pachter. I think he is dead on with his Vita analysis. Sony desperately need to drive that price down, maybe bundle it with a memory card and a year of Plus (they also need to advertise just how amazing value this is compared with Live), and finally really drive home how good it is as a complimentary device to a PS3 (and PS4 with OnLive streaming).

Razdek

Banned
The Vita is a joke and if they would have said it was just going to be a niche system and a PS4 dreaming device I would have never bought one' I expected at least half of the support the PSP got but it can't even manage that. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Persona are great but it needs a lot more and the people that are "fine" with the output definitely have lower expectations than me.

I don't think the Vita is save-able. Sony quite literally possesses zero must-have titles in their arsenal. It would require them to get something exclusive on-par with Minecraft/Pokemon etc. I understand the 3DS is far from a success outside of Japan, but for me personally it's grown into a success. I'm at the point now where I'm ready to dump my Wii U on the first person willing to buy it and just use my 3DSXL as my sole mechanism to play Nintendo titles. I loved the Vita hardware, but I kept finding fewer and fewer reasons to use it, so I sold it. I'd love it if they turned it around, but I doubt it. Prove me wrong, Sony.

VanWinkle

The Vita is a joke and if they would have said it was just going to be a niche system and a PS4 dreaming device I would have never bought one' I expected at least half of the support the PSP got but it can't even manage that. Uncharted, Gravity Rush, and Persona are great but it needs a lot more and the people that are "fine" with the output definitely have lower expectations than me.

Why are you talking about it like the system's life is over? There was another thread that said there are 100 games coming out for it this year.

I don't think the Vita is save-able. Sony quite literally possesses zero must-have titles in their arsenal. It would require them to get something exclusive on-par with Minecraft/Pokemon etc. I understand the 3DS is far from a success outside of Japan, but for me personally it's grown into a success. I'm at the point now where I'm ready to dump my Wii U on the first person willing to buy it and just use my 3DSXL as my sole mechanism to play Nintendo titles. I loved the Vita hardware, but I kept finding fewer and fewer reasons to use it, so I sold it. I'd love it if they turned it around, but I doubt it. Prove me wrong, Sony.

Going by that argument, you could say that the PS3 is un-save-able, but they've proven you don't have to have a Mario or Halo to need saving.

Microsoft is not in the games business to sell games, that isn't why they started this. Go back to 2001, Consumer Electronic Show, Bill Gates keynote... Billgates unveiled the Xbox and he said: "This box is going to be the entertainment hub in the living room". Now, Microsoft lost It's way early on because they had a bunch of guys working on the box who were former developers, you know all of them... those guys were gamers all the way and chased games, and they made the Xbox in to a hardcore game box.

wow so they're really is pushing the whole we're not a gaming console any more thing I see.

Razdek

Banned
Why are you talking about it like the system's life is over? There was another thread that said there are 100 games coming out for it this year.

Going by that argument, you could say that the PS3 is un-save-able, but they've proven you don't have to have a Mario or Halo to need saving.

There's nothing on the horizon that interests me except PSO2 and I don't care for OK indie games. All I hear are games are coming but where are they? I'll wait until E3 to see if anything improves but I'm not optimistic.

Skyzard

Banned

Or enjoy more types of games. I'm sure most people are actually expecting bigger titles to come down the line too.

Yeah, we don't really know for sure either way. However, they were using off-the-shelf parts, and things get cheaper as time goes on, so it's certainly feasible that they could be making a profit as of now.

It's possible, but given the economy of scale and the sheer extent to which it's fallen short of expectations, I doubt it. Not that Sony will deign to tell us anytime soon.

PS3 has/had third party support. Going by game sales figures, it sure as heck isn't selling on the strength of exclusives.

Top Bottom