• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter was right about PS4 graphics

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is how I feel. Some people seem to understand "diminishing returns" to mean "it doesn't look better at all," but that's not it. The games clearly look better than anything from this gen, it's just not the wow factor it was going from low-res gouraud-shaded polys to hi-res normal-mapped models, and I don't think there will be another leap like that in terms of rendering.
When I think of the PS3 and Xbox360 I think of consoles that struggled to display games at an acceptable resolution. Image quality was extremely poor even with assets garbled and worlds often shrunken. It is hard to convey that visual jump through streams or internet videos.

Hero

Nothing impressed me as much as what was shown during the PS3 unveiling. Not a single game shown tonight had me going "Yeah, gotta get a PS4 to play that."

Those people are the saddest of all.

Maybe some. I'm sure from now on it'll be. But plenty of people honestly jizzed over it.

If you think people were jizzing over the graphics then you missed the point and should probably actually investigate to why people were excited over it.

PS3 games:

uncharted3drakesdecepz38j0.gif

I just played through that horrible level yesterday. It isn't impressive.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised that people are saying what was shown today WASN'T impressive! I think the games look great, Killzone looked fantastic before everything turned grey and orange ;P

farnham

Banned
Shame people still insist on judging alpha footage of games in the pre-launch stage of a console's life.

The least people could do is hold off on these conclusive judgements to save from making themselves look impatient or uninformed when we just went through a generation of consoles that saw massive graphical leaps over its duration.

Edit: I mean 512MB split RAM to 8GB unified DDR5.. this is a massive jump. The GPU is also generations ahead of the PS3 hardware, this is going to be a funny discussion to look back on.

The jump in graphics was instantly recognizable last gen and before though. Even with pre-launch software

Moff

apart from the capcom dragon engine demo, it was really disappointing and definitely not a big leap from the best looking curren gen games. especially considering that this was a very long generation, the actual playable demos from yesterday were not nearly as impressive as the last gen launch titles.

Really? Everything shown blew the PS3 out of the water IMO.
Not really somebody can throw up some killzone 3 gifs and GT5 and I can honestly say they did not blow anything out of the water.

That deep down dragon thing on the other hand that blew some shit out the water if its real.

NBtoaster

Compare:

amarec20130131-144107jfxwt.png

i1Wb93gU9EpDo.jpg

Theres much much more detail. Lighting isn't dramatically different at first glance, but it's probably pushing much more pixels too.

Not really somebody can throw up some killzone 3 gifs and GT5 and I can honestly say they did not blow anything out of the water.

That deep down dragon thing on the other hand that blew some shit out the water if its real.

It is deeply foolish to compare late generation titles with launch titles that are likely still in their alpha stages.

Sandfox

The graphical leaps are pretty clear to me, and these are just early games. Games a couple years or more from now will be even more impressive.

As a side note, I just realized one positive side effect from today's footage is that I don't expect to see this overused X gif anymore.

amekbv.gif

Funny how people can be so far apart on graphical impressions. On one hand, you have people saying tonight's showings aren't impressive, and on the other hand you have people thinking the above gif shows how Wii U wipes the floor with current gen graphics.

The thing about the X gif IMO is having that mech in a Xenoblade style game is awesome rather than the graphics being amazing.

If you think people were jizzing over the graphics then you missed the point and should probably actually investigate to why people were excited over it.
I understand why many are excited over it. It's the next evolution of an RPG that many people loved. Yet, there were some people who used it in defense of Wii U when people would blast it's graphical prowess. Never said everyone jizzed over it for the same reasons.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Killzone looked incredible. Then they started playing and it was another fps. Nothing got me excited gameplay wise. Poor show for me. Hype lowered :(

Graphics were as expected, I was not surprised in the least. An improvement over current gen (it bloody well should be, after all this time) but nothing really groundbreaking. It was certainly a much smaller leap than previous generations.

olimpia84

Graphics looked good but not a major leap from this current gen, but then again I don't really care that much as long as the games are fun.

Hero

I understand why many are excited over it. It's the next evolution of an RPG that many people loved. Yet, there were some people who used it in defense of Wii U when people would blast it's graphical prowess. Never said everyone jizzed over it for the same reasons.

What people are you referring to? Are they in this thread?

sono

I have to say I dont agree OP. I have a PS3 and its graphics disappoint most of the time.

*Everything* looked amazing.

Fox318

I don't know how someone can look at this and think that it only looks a little better than current-gen visuals. I'm actually shocked by how good the games have looked so far, they've surpassed my expectations.

I think media is pretty biased against car games.

Wow, I didn't think anyone would be undermining the graphics. Considering how amazing some of these launch/launch window titles will look, I can't wait to see what developers will be putting together in a few years.

gfdoom

Killzone looked incredible. Then they started playing and it was another fps. Nothing got me excited gameplay wise. Poor show for me. Hype lowered :(

Exactly! the gfx's looked great but then he started playing and it was regular old killzone again. If the character would've ran, jumped of the building gliding down to the massive city below and proceeded to run anywhere he could. chasing down enemies, then I would've been impressed.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm primarily a PC gamer, so I've been spoiled already. The stuff looked nice, but not any better than the visuals I've been seeing for a couple of years now.

Gadirok

I've always been impressed by Playstation graphics. Todays conference was no exception, always pushing consoles to the brim of graphical play.

I just want to see how the PS4 brings new gameplay features forward. I mean I saw none of that.

Did they use that touchpad? No. Whats it good for? We don't know.

Tech demos on graphics and social connecting, thats all I saw today. Don't get me wrong I loved the share button but next time around I want to see actual gameplay over these titles. That's what is lucrative to me, and will make me want to buy one of these new next gen hardware.

WiiU couldn't even get the reveal right so I will atleast give sony some props on building hype towards their event and their unveil. Though I was very dissapointed and I guess my standards were too high (all I wanted to see was gameplay of infamous and killzone).

If its only for graphics and gaikai streaming between PS4 and vita, I could just stay on the PS3, because the graphical leap isin't that significant as some of you mentioned. The main thing is gameplay.

No I don't want some shitty wiiU motion control/ touch screen bullshit. I would have bought a wiiU for that, but todays reveal showed nothing on new gimmicks besides the sheer power of the beast that is PS4.

For someone who has a gameplay first mentality it doesn't mean much.

For once, I'd have to agree with the guy.

The visuals, while definitely pretty, did not feel like a substantial leap over PS3.

Am I the only one that feels like we're truly getting diminishing returns?

Well what did you expect to happen? We went from NTSC to ATSC HDTV with the PS2 to PS3 jump. But our screen resolution did not change this generation. It was a completely obvious observation of his.

Graphics were as expected, I was not surprised in the least. An improvement over current gen (it bloody well should be, after all this time) but nothing really groundbreaking. It was certainly a much smaller leap than previous generations.

Rose tinted goggles. Name one game shown at the 360 or PS3 actual launch partys that absolutely eclipsed what was available on the previous systems.

Yeah....no.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif
I saw this in another thread, to... I'd wager the most humiliating tag possible, that those architecture in the KZ demo were not being rendered in real time; there's definitely a catch in what's begin shown, maybe a very intelligent design technique + high fidelity graphics*, but definitely not regular rendering of a city at that distance with an HD resolution.

* What I think it is, if it is rendered in real time, that they have different models of the same game for different sections of the game; that is when you are on a set piece, what's near you have one model and what's in the distant another model.

Codeblew

When I think of the PS3 and Xbox360 I think of consoles that struggled to display games at an acceptable resolution. Image quality was extremely poor even with assets garbled and worlds often shrunken. It is hard to convey that visual jump through streams or internet videos.

This is true. I want to see these videos in 1080p download files.

I've always been impressed by Playstation graphics. Todays conference was no exception, always pushing consoles to the brim of graphical play.

I just want to see how the PS4 brings new gameplay features forward. I mean I saw none of that.

Did they use that touchpad? No. Whats it good for? We don't know.

I recall distinctly one of the guys playing a game on stage saying he was moving the players view with his finger on the touchpad. This may have been Knack.

bon

Today I learned that next gen games look a lot like current gen games with more crumbling stuff and scary faces.

mYKo2Yn.png

What people are you referring to? Are they in this thread?
I don't know if anyone who fits my description is in this thread, because I don't mentally catalogue usernames of every post I read. Sometimes I'll remember a specific poster, but often times I don't. I can tell you a bunch of people vocally hated on MGS4 despite it being voted GAF's GOTY 2008, twice, but I couldn't cite a specific single name or post without going through the unnecessary effort to do so. Just take it as me referencing something from memory, and not calling any one out in particular.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Rose tinted goggles. Name one game shown at the 360 or PS3 actual launch partys that absolutely eclipsed what was available on the previous systems.

Kameo, COD2, Condemned, Resistance and King Kong were all visually well beyond what the PS2 or Xbox could have done. The leap shown by the new Killzone is similar. I think people may be missing the fact that if the launch games look like Killzone, the stuff two or three years down the road will be insane.

alphaNoid

Banned
Wow, I didn't think anyone would be undermining the graphics. Considering how amazing some of these launch/launch window titles will look, I can't wait to see what developers will be putting together in a few years.

People are upset that the jump in detail isn't very pronounced. Somewhere there is some developer who did texture work who is raging, somewhere there is some fan of Sony raging.. but the devil isn't in the details.. it needs to be center stage, it shouldn't ever need to be discussed why/how the graphics are better and in what ways. We shouldn't need comparison screen shots.

All of that indicates there is, a tangible concern that the games shown today really don't look mind boggling better than whats possible already. Sure they are better, I don't think anyone is denying that. Its just, ... its your chance to show off your new console and thats all you got?

To be honest, I'm starting to suspect MS is going to do the same and ultimately what this next gen is going to be remembered most for isn't the games, or graphic leaps therein but the advancement of features, social media, digital consumption and all sorts of other non gaming related "stuff". People making arguments against todays PS4 graphics have justifiable reasoning to do so.

Many people expect more. If that bothers developers, or if that bothers other people.. tough luck. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

StevieP

Banned
People are upset that the jump in detail isn't very pronounced. Somewhere there is some developer who did texture work who is raging, somewhere there is some fan of Sony raging.. but the devil isn't in the details.. it needs to be center stage, it shouldn't ever need to be discussed why/how the graphics are better and in what ways. We shouldn't need comparison screen shots.

All of that indicates there is, a tangible concern that the games shown today really don't look mind boggling better than whats possible already. Sure they are better, I don't think anyone is denying that. Its just, ... its your chance to show off your new console and thats all you got?

To be honest, I'm starting to suspect MS is going to do the same and ultimately what this next gen is going to be remembered most for isn't the games, or graphic leaps therein but the advancement of features, social media, digital consumption and all sorts of other non gaming related "stuff". People making arguments against todays PS4 graphics have justifiable reasoning to do so.

Yes, yes, and more yes. This poster has it on the money. You may even hear those words a lot :p

dLMN8R

PS3 games:

uncharted3drakesdecepz38j0.gif

The-Last-of-Us-Combat.gif

Honestly these still blow my mind. There's just not that much farther to go.

I was very impressed with some of the PS4 footage though. I would be fine if it were the last console, I just don't care if games look better after this.

I love these, but you have to remember that they're completely linear on extremely narrow paths and most of what you're seeing is a non-interactive background facade.

akira28

You guyses and your eyeses must be jacked in for some serious sensory overload, because I'm not feeling the stimulation. The graphics seem great, but even great is only just good enough. I need more feedback, I need more immersion, something. Maybe it's because I grew up playing Atari and c64 games.

Or is it more the people freaking about these graphics are the same who would freak out over super clear retina screens on the phones or something?

It's like, one can't "save" the other, graphics and gameplay are still an unmarried couple. Awesome visuals? I'm still waiting to be let down. I'm still expecting to be let down. So it hurts less when it happens.

Kameo, COD2, Condemned, Resistance and King Kong were all visually well beyond what the PS2 or Xbox could have done. The leap shown by the new Killzone is similar. I think people may be missing the fact that if the launch games look like Killzone, the stuff two or three years down the road will be insane.

Yeah I agree with that completely. I am saying the leap is very similar. This diminishing returns thing just doesn't add up.

Many people expect more. If that bothers developers, or if that bothers other people.. tough luck. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

I noticed a huge leap in graphics. Especially when you watch Watchdogs direct feed footage(the version shown during the show has issues). Granted that's not on a PS4 yet, just on a PC built to run like one.

I agree that the social features are going to be what separates them. Until MS announces anything, Sony stands as the leader. The ability to spectate another person's game and talk to them while they play either via voice or text is awesome.

Top Bottom