• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter was right about PS4 graphics

ferr

If you're going to compare, maybe compare ps3 launch titles versus (maybe) ps4 launch titles?

CoD3 PS3 Launch Title
Call+of+Duty+pc+game+4.jpg

Killzone Shadow Fall

I can't understand this at all.

I mean, it looked pretty obvious to me that iN the Evolution racer, the freaking TEXTURE budget alone wouldn't even come close to being possible if you duck taped a PS3s RAM to a 360s RAM.

just tray

Banned
Launch titles and target renders, for all we know they weren't even developed on PS4 devkits but instead were developed on PC hardware. It's way too early to make any judgments.

Not to mention the first waves of PS3 and 360 titles didn't look that much better than the top echelon of PS2/Xbox games, either.

Knowledge is power

USC-fan

Banned
Crazy how things go with console launches. Someone else has to remember Xbox 1.5 . Compare Xbox 360 games to Xbox games now.

Funny reading the same threads every console launch.

It looks very good, but doesn't match the wow factor that the last jump had. KZ2, MGS4 etc were just absolutely unbelievable, while this just makes me go "yeah, that looks really good!"

teiresias

there's an bunch of guided CGI segments, an few areas with excessive bloom, and then you arrive in corridors with generic FPS gameplay. i don't get what you find so impressive, but i'm glad that you're excited at least.

Please tell me which parts of the Killzone demo were CGI.

nikos

They look incredible in direct feed videos and, in the end, they're still launch games. Look at launch PS3 titles compared to some of the better looking games. I can't wait to see what'll come down the line in a few years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

*Takes deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Were you not around for the initial Xbox 360 unveiling? How everyone was calling it Xbox 1.5 or how awful Perfect Dark: Zero looked when it was initially unveiled? Do you not remember how people were laughing at wall guy or Dead Or Alive 4 for basically looking like a high res Xbox game?

The games Sony showed today were a gigantic leap over anything on consoles today.

Good times, good times. There wasn't even much of a gameplay leap initially back then like so many want to make it out to be.

I'll admit though, Killzone, Quantic, and Media Molecule were the only ones that really impressed me.

Infamous looked ok, mostly due to me being distracted by some bad textures and not caring much for in-game cinematic footage. Knack and The Witness (robots taking over after man's extinction, calling it now!) looked interesting, but nothing that couldn't be done now and be serviceable. Capcom and Square Enix using target renders (Edit correction: Square Enix's Luminous Eng. tech demo) didn't do much for me, though I loved the shield rim melting in Deep Down. Watch Dogs was awesome, but I expected it. Destiny is all about the actual gameplay in selling me this world, visuals be damned.

I guess it depends on your mindset and how familiar you are with hardware, costs, and all that jazz.

This is what I mean. If you told me "these are PS4 screens" I'd believe it. No SNES to N64 or PS1 to PS2 leap, that's for sure.

They benefited from being early HD games, which automatically made them look much nicer on modern TVs. I mean, come on.

Are you really making this call off a series of gifs from a comparably shitty webfeed of the actual footage?

ferr

Problem might be that the best we saw is not much better than what some games look like on current PCs.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Pachter was wrong as usual. I'm more impressed by KZ Shadow Fall now than I was with Resistance in 2006.

Fox318

Not quite 240fps (unless we're talking Pong) but still some nice looking grafx

Dudes arms must be strong as fuck to hold on to a rope being swung wildly from a future helicopter and maintaining a steady aim

Probably was using his balls to grab a hold of the rope.

Manly as fuck

teiresias

Good times, good times. There wasn't even much of a gameplay leap initially back then like so many want to make it out to be.

I'll admit though, Killzone, Quantic, and Media Molecule were the only ones that really impressed me.

Infamous looked ok, mostly due to me being distracted by some bad textures and not caring much for in-game cinematic footage. Knack and The Witness (robots taking over after man's extinction, calling it now!) looked interesting, but nothing that couldn't be done now and be serviceable. Capcom and Square Enix using target renders didn't do much for me, though I loved the shield rim melting in Deep Down. Watch Dogs was awesome, but I expected it. Destiny is all about the actual gameplay in selling me this world, visuals be damned.

I guess it depends on your mindset and how familiar you are with hardware, costs, and all that jazz.

Square Enix didn't show a target render.

I can't understand this at all.

I mean, it looked pretty obvious to me that iN the Evolution racer, the freaking TEXTURE budget alone wouldn't even come close to being possible if you duck taped a PS3s RAM to a 360s RAM.

What about 10 Wii U systems?

I kid, I kid. I love my Wii U and I hope that due to some of the rising costs this is bound to have, a few developers will spend some time on the Wii U and upscale those games to go multi-plat on the PS4/Xbox if that route is so important to them.

The visuals were significant leaps. People also need to keep in mind these games were likely developed on hardware not representative of the 8GB revealed today. These are games being made on transitional hardware for launch.

Krowley

Are you really making this call off a series of gifs from a comparably shitty webfeed of the actual footage?

If you have to have super-hi-res footage to tell the difference, then it's not a huge leap.

That's the definition of diminishing returns. Things may look substantially better, but you get less bang for your buck. You have to look closer, and closer, to tell the difference. Eventually you're counting nose hairs and nobody cares anymore.

just tray

Banned
It looks very good, but doesn't match the wow factor that the last jump had. KZ2, MGS4 etc were just absolutely unbelievable, while this just makes me go "yeah, that looks really good!"

I think because we already made the jump to HD and KZ2 was prerenderd. MGS4 took forever to come out. Devs will have more time with the PS3 than they will with the PS4.

RM8

If you have to have super-hi-res footage to tell the difference, then it's not a huge leap.

That's the definition of diminishing returns. Things may look substantially better, but you get less bang for your buck. You have to look closer, and closer, to tell the difference. Eventually you're counting nose hairs and nobody cares anymore.
Exactly my point.

Blades64

Banned
The graphics were amazing. You can't get that kind of visual fidelity on current console hardware (I'm still holding out final judgement of the Wii U). It's exactly what I wanted. PS4/Wii U/PC is going to be so good this gen. :)

JayDub

There were only 4 games last gen that made me think, "wow."

(In order of when it happened)
Gears of War
God of War 3
Uncharted 2
Killzone 2

Considering Gears of War was the first "wow, next gen" game of last gen, it doesnt hold up today. God of War, UC2 and KZ2 STILL makes me go "wow" today.

This gen got progressively better, I didnt even notice. But those games definitely were points when I felt the bar was raised.

Goddamn, I remember thinking "this looks better than the CG from God of War 2" and "Wow, this is almost exactly like the tech demo" for KZ2.

Top Bottom