• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter was right about PS4 graphics

kevm3

No, I don't see diminishing returns like that. The system is still several months from launch and people are comparing last gen PS3 titles to first gen PS4 titles. If you look at early PS3 titles, they didn't look all that impressive in comparison to what came much later. Let's compare Resistance and Genji to Uncharted 3 just to see how huge of a difference experience with the machine makes.

RM8

Could it be also the fact that we've been through this "OMGZ NEXT GEN VISUALS" phase plenty of times by now? Yes, it looks pretty, I'm just not screaming in disbelief.

Duffyside

Banned
iSylqprP2LVet.gif

lol, i'm more than impressed.

Is an on-rails segment really that impressive?

ironcreed

Banned
Killzone and some other games were far and away better than anything on consoles right now. You people either need to get your eyes checked or really bring down the completely unrealistic expectations a bit. Or both.

This. The difference in quality was substantial in just how clean and crisp everything looked alone. Not to mention the overall fidelity, and these are just work in progress launch games and tech demos. Look at what is still being squeezed out of the PS3 and then consider the hardware that the PS4 is packing. Imagine what we will be seeing down the road on this thing. You folks not expecting a big jump will be in for a surprise.

Almighty

As others have said anyone who was expecting more then what they got were fooling themselves. The days of Ps2 to Ps3 like leaps are over. To be honest if you want more then that it might be time for you to consider spending the money to get a high end PC sometime in the next year or two.

For me personally I was happy with what I saw and think the Ps4 will be a nice addition to my gaming PC now that the no used games rumor is debunked.

I need to see some hands-on stuff first. Today felt like fluff play this. Now.

This is going to be one of those movies/gifs that we joke about years from now. "Remember that time Capcom showed off CGI with a fake UI on it and pretended like it was actual gameplay? Good times."

Killzone and some other games were far and away better than anything on consoles right now. You people either need to get your eyes checked or really bring down the completely unrealistic expectations a bit. Or both.
I dont think people are having unrealistic expectations but having expectations based on history. Especially from a longer console cycle. Nobody is saying its not impressive they look absolutely stunning but its like seeing a new game with new graphics. Next gen is almost should be dubbed, "The continued gen" or something because thats how it feels if you want to base the generation on power. Like I said these graphics did not sell me on ps4 the console sharing features and stuff did. That feels more next gen to me than these graphics.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
dude i don't even know how you're supposed to play deep down. it looks like a CGI render. i don't see any fun or even possibilities for fun yet.

Deep Down is def a real-time mockup. It's all canned animation made to look like gameplay, no way will the actual game look that fluid.

x3sphere

For once, I'd have to agree with the guy.

The visuals, while definitely pretty, did not feel like a substantial leap over PS3.

Am I the only one that feels like we're truly getting diminishing returns?

Lol. I'd like to play the games you're playing on PS3 then...

Veezy

que?
Is an on-rails segment really that impressive?

Did you see the rest of demo? Surely you're not making commentary on the capabilities of a console based upon a gif that's a few seconds from a live played demo of a possible launch window title?

The game looks great.

Grief.exe

Games were even extremely early and I'm impressed with games like Watch Dogs and KZ.

And I say that while mainly playing on PC.

george_us

They are pretty and definitely a step above PS3. But yeah, it's no... HUGE leap. I don't know if it's just me, but even early PS360 games felt more impressive for their time. Again, it's not like my PS3 can pull off these graphics, but still.
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

*Takes deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Were you not around for the initial Xbox 360 unveiling? How everyone was calling it Xbox 1.5 or how awful Perfect Dark: Zero looked when it was initially unveiled? Do you not remember how people were laughing at wall guy or Dead Or Alive 4 for basically looking like a high res Xbox game?

The games Sony showed today were a gigantic leap over anything on consoles today.

Graphically, they're definitely better than PS3. Can't really argue with that. I may be jaded but graphics are definitely a step up. Might not be the crazy step people expected but thats probably from having crazy expectation.

goomba

Banned
Diminishing returns indeed. Especially underwhelming that "next gen"
Games like watch dogs and destiny are coming out for 360 and ps3 too.

RM8

This is what I mean. If you told me "these are PS4 screens" I'd believe it. No SNES to N64 or PS1 to PS2 leap, that's for sure.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

*Takes deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Were you not around for the initial Xbox 360 unveiling? How everyone was calling it Xbox 1.5 or how awful Perfect Dark: Zero looked when it was initially unveiled? Do you not remember how people were laughing at wall guy or Dead Or Alive 4 for basically looking like a high res Xbox game?

The games Sony showed today were a gigantic leap over anything on consoles today.
They benefited from being early HD games, which automatically made them look much nicer on modern TVs. I mean, come on.

Krowley

I think it's quite an upgrade in the details. But sure, there are diminishing returns. It's like those people who couldn't tell difference between DVD and Blu-ray. To some it's a big huge deal, and to others they can barely tell the difference.

I can see it, but it doesn't really matter. That's the definition of diminishing returns. It might be drastically better from a technical standpoint, but who really cares? You don't get the same "holy shit I must have that!!!" factor from it.

Early on in the presentation, this british guy came out and started talking about a racing game, and he went on and on about how they perfectly modeled the textures of the carpet in the floorboard and used fancy technology to simulate the upholstery in the seats, and that's when you know Devs are wasting their time working on things that people don't really give a shit about. They've already got a car that looks practically photo-realistic, so they start fiddling with the upholstery textures.

After a certain point you're just like, "okay, this looks good. I am happy."

mcdoomington

Neo Member
Sorry if this has already been said, but...

Everyone (those complaining at least) is comparing end-of-life triple A PS3 titles - titles developed by people with eights years of experience on the platform, squeexing every ounce of performance out of the Cell processor - against launch titles for the PS4. Of course the gap isn't going to be substantial.

If you're skeptical, go look at HD screens of Gran Turismo 4 (2005 PS2 title) and Ridge Racer 7 (PS3 launch title). Notice a huge difference? Nope.

GT4
http://www.tleaves.com/weblog/images/articles/gt4-gc.jpg

RR7
http://cf.shacknews.com/shack_images/sshots/ps3/060921_ridgeracer7_03.jpg

Jarekx

It looks a lot better than current gen, and this is just launch titles. Comparing the agni demo to the ff7 ps3 demo you can see where we are going. A lot of games surpassed that ff7 tech demo so I'm excited to see if that can be said a few years down the road with the ps4.

Darryl

Banned
Did you see the rest of demo? Surely you're not making commentary on the capabilities of a console based upon a gif that's a few seconds from a live played demo of a possible launch window title?

The game looks great.

there's an bunch of guided CGI segments, an few areas with excessive bloom, and then you arrive in corridors with generic FPS gameplay. i don't get what you find so impressive, but i'm glad that you're excited at least.

Just for perspective. Killzone 3, the best looking FPS on consoles this gen, looks like this...

iTLUDLsGvju.gif

KZ3 has much better moments, but this image is comparable to the one from the new game. Suddenly, it doesn't look so great anymore.

Wait, are you blind or something. If anything, it puts into perspective how bad some games look now, compared.

I think the best thing this conference did was expose the actual graphics whores who literally have no ceiling or basis in reality for their expectations.

All the games looked good enough that they would have blown minds at the start of this generation and they're only going to get better.

Mxrz

I'd still love to know what games people are playing that compare to what was shown. But I'm pretty sure some people had already made up their minds before the event even started. Meh. Either way you cut it, graphics are finally jumping up a notch after being based around the 360 specs for the last couple of years.

teiresias

Please tell me no one's buying that Deep Down CGI trailer as actual gameplay.

Please.

I don't buy it as actual gameplay, but it definitely still had all the usual signs of being real-time so I'm definitely not ready to call CGI shenanigans on it. Besides, they very clearly billed it as more of a game engine demo rather than a demo of an actual game.

Top Bottom