• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter was right about PS4 graphics

There were only 4 games last gen that made me think, "wow."

(In order of when it happened)
Gears of War
God of War 3
Uncharted 2
Killzone 2

Considering Gears of War was the first "wow, next gen" game of last gen, it doesnt hold up today. God of War, UC2 and KZ2 STILL makes me go "wow" today.

This gen got progressively better, I didnt even notice. But those games definitely were points when I felt the bar was raised.

Goddamn, I remember thinking "this looks better than the CG from God of War 2" and "Wow, this is almost exactly like the tech demo" for KZ2.

For me the scene in Kameo with the massive battle and the shittons of zombies in Dead Rising were the two things I remember wowing me last gen. I did find the first Gears of War pretty fun though.

Luthos

People keep saying they weren't wow'd like they were at the start of this gen. Maybe that's because you were younger, possibly a kid/teenager? And you have nostalgia for that time.

Anywho, this gif right here, showing KZ's cityscape...

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

While it's small and from a video... that looks like CGI.

FourMyle

I was blown away by the presentations of today and I had some pretty realistic expectations set for this. Don't know what you're talking about, OP :)

pakkit

Banned
People are really discounting how much of an effect the extra processing power is going to have on the games. We're going to see more games pushing physics engines similar to Max Payne 3, and higher resolution graphics all around. I'm pumped.

Shayan

Banned
For once, I'd have to agree with the guy.

The visuals, while definitely pretty, did not feel like a substantial leap over PS3.

Am I the only one that feels like we're truly getting diminishing returns?

wow bitter tears

The games look miles better than anything on PS3 and even better than anything on PC

ironcreed

Banned
People keep saying they weren't wow'd like they were at the start of this gen. Maybe that's because you were younger, possibly a kid/teenager? And you have nostalgia for that time.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

While it's small and from a video... that looks like fucking CGI from a movie.

The detail of buildings and objects in the distance and reflectivity and lighting alone screams next gen to me. Some people just are not seeing what is plainly there.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

*Takes deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Were you not around for the initial Xbox 360 unveiling? How everyone was calling it Xbox 1.5 or how awful Perfect Dark: Zero looked when it was initially unveiled? Do you not remember how people were laughing at wall guy or Dead Or Alive 4 for basically looking like a high res Xbox game?

The games Sony showed today were a gigantic leap over anything on consoles today.
boH6DbX.jpg

Yeah, I said wow alright.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

While it's small and from a video... that looks like fucking CGI from a movie.

It's a step up from the city in Arkham City, which looks rather nice, but it's always night, so it's easier to hide things...

For once, I'd have to agree with the guy.

The visuals, while definitely pretty, did not feel like a substantial leap over PS3.

Am I the only one that feels like we're truly getting diminishing returns?

Yes I agree. people want Avatar movie like visuals yet they do not understand the powerhouse computers that render films like that.

And By the time we do reach those visuals in game, the incremental steps to get there will take the shock away from the actual leap.

vio

Did you watch this on your Toaster?

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif
This actually looked best (if the game ends up like this). It was very weird that Killzone was not BEST looking game. I kept looking for that volumetric smoke but it did not happen lol. Still i was really woved by Killzone scale. One thing is that, killzone and..especially Driveclub are early. Just wait people, just wait. Those are going to get so polished.

I wasn't blown away by the graphics or demos either, but it is still early days. Also I suspect most games were rendering at 1080p instead of the sub-720p resolution that most current gen games run at today.

I will say that I was also extremely skeptical of everything the Japanese developers had to show; I don't think they got the memo to stop doing target renders.

Branduil

It looks very good, but doesn't match the wow factor that the last jump had. KZ2, MGS4 etc were just absolutely unbelievable, while this just makes me go "yeah, that looks really good!"

This is how I feel. Some people seem to understand "diminishing returns" to mean "it doesn't look better at all," but that's not it. The games clearly look better than anything from this gen, it's just not the wow factor it was going from low-res gouraud-shaded polys to hi-res normal-mapped models, and I don't think there will be another leap like that in terms of rendering.

bhlaab

I wasn't incredibly impressed, but I have been playing games almost exclusively on a PC since around 2006 so maybe I'm making unfair comparisons.

Really, I think we are coming up against diminishing returns here. But the 8gb of ram is fantastic, and will have great applications for things besides just graphics. You know, like an Elder Scrolls game where the view distance is massive and the world is seamless.

RM8

This is how I feel. Some people seem to understand "diminishing returns" to mean "it doesn't look better at all," but that's not it. The games clearly look better than anything from this gen, it's just not the wow factor it was going from low-res gouraud-shaded polys to hi-res normal-mapped models, and I don't think there will be another leap like that in terms of rendering.
Are you nuts? It looks better than PS3!

BajiBoxer

Banned
There are a number of PS2 games that look as good as, or better than, 360/PS3 launch titles when given the benefit of HD. Hell, there were launch games that were released in tandem with PS2 versions.

Also, I find it hilarious how many forget just how much bitching there was about the Xbox 360 launch lineup not looking "next gen", and even more bitching for a year or so afterwards. Just like current gen, there are going to be some games (particularly multi-platform stuff) that's going to look very similar to their ps3/360 counterparts with the edition of some fancy lighting and next gen graphical tweaks. Kind of like the difference between PC versions of console games that take advantage of the increased RAM and graphics card capabilities (like games that get hi-res texture packs).

And honestly, I really don't mind if there are some PS4 games that look like roided up current gen fare. Some of the current gen stuff will stand up incredibly well to the test of time, visually speaking. The original Playstation had it's fair share of games with SNES era 2D graphics that simply added some video cut scenes and maybe a special effect or two.

Shame people still insist on judging alpha footage of games in the pre-launch stage of a console's life.

The least people could do is hold off on these conclusive judgements to save from making themselves look impatient or uninformed when we just went through a generation of consoles that saw massive graphical leaps over its duration.

Edit: I mean 512MB split RAM to 8GB unified DDR5.. this is a massive jump. The GPU is also generations ahead of the PS3 hardware, this is going to be a funny discussion to look back on.

dLMN8R

The main thing I'm looking forward to is the ability for these games to not just be beautiful, but also not be locked to extremely linear rails like the Uncharted games or God of War series.

The days of being blown away by a leap from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 are over. The next time our minds will be blown to that extent will be when we achieve true virtual reality.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The jump to me is pretty similar. The scale, the quality of what's going on in the background, the image quality, the explosions. Seems weird, I really don't know what people expected.

Pistolero

It is a gigantic leap over PS3, even at this point. And more impressive than the best the PC has to offer right now, imo, let alone software that run on it 2 years ago, as suggested by Pachter. He was wrong, clearly.
If you don't perceive the technological gulf between what was shown today and what's available on your current gen consoles, you should quit gaming because nothing will satisfy you in the course of the next couple of years...visually, that is.

I'm not blown away, these games look significantly better than last-gen, but not by a huge margin. I just hope we'll see less crap running in upscalled sub-resolution, bad framerate, bad AA, etc... I'm kind of wondering if the statement Nintendo made two gen ago is finally true. Even in today's games, sometime there's just too much detail, and you rush trough levels without really noticing all the sexy visual details. It definitely doesn't impress me as the previous gap from the PS1 to the PS2, and from the PS2 to PS3. It's not much of a surprise though, PC games have stagnated for years now, Crysis is still one of the best looking PC game after all these years.

A.R.K

Lol are you kidding??? Go watch KZ-SF stream in HD... There is nothing even close to it on PS3 or any console for that matter and not even many PC games come close to it w/o very high end specs machines

The graphical leaps are pretty clear to me, and these are just early games. Games a couple years or more from now will be even more impressive.

As a side note, I just realized one positive side effect from today's footage is that I don't expect to see this overused X gif anymore.

amekbv.gif

Funny how people can be so far apart on graphical impressions. On one hand, you have people saying tonight's showings aren't impressive, and on the other hand you have people thinking the above gif shows how Wii U wipes the floor with current gen graphics.

Striek

Funny how people can be so far apart on graphical impressions. On one hand, you have people saying tonight's showings aren't impressive, and on the other hand you have people thinking the above gif shows how Wii U wipes the floor with current gen graphics.

And often they're one and the same.

The graphical leaps are pretty clear to me, and these are just early games. Games a couple years or more from now will be even more impressive.

As a side note, I just realized one positive side effect from today's footage is that I don't expect to see this overused X gif anymore.

I always thought people were using that gif ironically. Looks really bad to me. Most of what I saw looked spectacular.

farnham

Banned
I was not impressed. People Debating about if there is a substantial leap or not already is a sign that the leap was not as substantial as 2D to 3D, Ps->Ps2, or SD to HD. I have doubts that nonhardcore gamers will recognize a diffenrence between current gen.

Spongebob

Banned

I don't know how someone can look at this and think that it only looks a little better than current-gen visuals. I'm actually shocked by how good the games have looked so far, they've surpassed my expectations.

Servbot24

Banned
PS3 games:

uncharted3drakesdecepz38j0.gif

The-Last-of-Us-Combat.gif

Honestly these still blow my mind. There's just not that much farther to go.

I was very impressed with some of the PS4 footage though. I would be fine if it were the last console, I just don't care if games look better after this.

Liamario

Banned
Killzone looked fantastic. I don't what people are expecting. When you aren't sure if a game is running in real time or not, you can't really complain.

I was not impressed. People Debating about if there is a substantial leap or not already is a sign that the leap was not as substantial as 2D to 3D, Ps->Ps2, or SD to HD. I have doubts that nonhardcore gamers will recognize a diffenrence between current gen.
2D to 3D was not an impresive leap in the beginning. I'll take 16-bit gen graphics any day over any of the 3D shit from PS1/N64.

Top Bottom