• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter was right about PS4 graphics

FordGTGuy

Banned
Compare:

amarec20130131-144107jfxwt.png

i1Wb93gU9EpDo.jpg

Theres much much more detail. Lighting isn't dramatically different at first glance, but it's probably pushing much more pixels too.

Xbox 360 vs PS4 no kidding it looks better....

golem

I saw this in another thread, to... I'd wager the most humiliating tag possible, that those architecture in the KZ demo were not being rendered in real time; there's definitely a catch in what's begin shown, maybe a very intelligent design technique + high fidelity graphics*, but definitely not regular rendering of a city at that distance with an HD resolution.

* What I think it is, if it is rendered in real time, that they have different models of the same game for different sections of the game; that is when you are on a set piece, what's near you have one model and what's in the distant another model.

No it seems to be firmly realtime. Take a look at higher resolution shot and you can clearly see most of the city is rendered in low detail, just a backdrop for another corridor shooter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/8493770440/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Servbot24

Banned
I noticed a huge leap in graphics. Especially when you watch Watchdogs direct feed footage(the version shown during the show has issues). Granted that's not on a PS4 yet, just on a PC built to run like one.

I agree that the social features are going to be what separates them. Until MS announces anything, Sony stands as the leader. The ability to spectate another person's game and talk to them while they play either via voice or text is awesome.

Watchdogs isn't even some of the impressive footage.

On the one hand you have people claiming it's unimpressive, not much of a leap and on the other hand you have people claiming it's just CGI. That tells me games are very close to being about as good looking from a resolution and effects standpoint as they ever really need to. From now on I would rather see improvements in AI, animation, writing, etc.

Jack_AG

Banned
Graphics were as expected, I was not surprised in the least. An improvement over current gen (it bloody well should be, after all this time) but nothing really groundbreaking. It was certainly a much smaller leap than previous generations.

Eh... looking at titles like Halo and God of War 2 - when the 360 launched it wasn't impressive in the slightest. The jump wasn't that great. Then fast forward where we are now with the 360 and PS3 and it is a mind-boggling jump from the start of this generation.

Looking at PS4 (KZ compared to GoW3, TLoU, etc) it seems like more of a jump but I believe that has to do with the impressive lighting/IQ we are seeing.

It looks like a larger leap than the previous gen, but I do not believe the leap will be as large during the gen.

If any of that makes sense, iunno. Tired.

Pistolero

Watch Dogs looks a lot, a lot better than Uncharted3, and it is an OPEN WORLD game. When Uncharted 4 is going to get shown, doubters will be smacked. I think that some of the reserved people on the level of visual at display are held back by the "samy" nature of what was shown : FPS, racers...that, or the proliferation of CG usage everywhere (movies, games, commercials...) has made them less receptive.

Cyborg

Some are saying the arnt impressed?
WTF?

The games look sick, nothing I have seen before.
Killzone, Capcom Game, Infamous.........Amazing just Amazing. Why do people need to bitch always!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kameo, COD2, Condemned, Resistance and King Kong were all visually well beyond what the PS2 or Xbox could have done. The leap shown by the new Killzone is similar. I think people may be missing the fact that if the launch games look like Killzone, the stuff two or three years down the road will be insane.
Conker's Bad Fur Day, DOA: Ultimate, Chaos Theory, Doom 3, FFXII, MGS3, RE4, Rebel Strike, Halo 2...honestly the launch of the 360 was fairly tepid.

Jack_AG

Banned
I saw this in another thread, to... I'd wager the most humiliating tag possible, that those architecture in the KZ demo were not being rendered in real time; there's definitely a catch in what's begin shown, maybe a very intelligent design technique + high fidelity graphics*, but definitely not regular rendering of a city at that distance with an HD resolution.

* What I think it is, if it is rendered in real time, that they have different models of the same game for different sections of the game; that is when you are on a set piece, what's near you have one model and what's in the distant another model.

If you watch the "official" trailer for the game and watch the city - there are 2 buildings with flashing textures at the top dictating a minor bug: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JUZJTjns6Qg#t=19s

Starting at the fade-in at 20. That crazy spazzing texture thing (dunno what else to call it).

If it wasn't real-time - we wouldn't be seeing that, methinks.

And you are also correct in suggesting they have several different models for canned-pan shots. That is just normal game design. You don't create a pore-perfect model of a human face just to be seen from down the street as a one-off. Same rule applies here.

I don't care how its done - we play the final product - not things we have no control over.

current gen we're not getting full HD games.
eventually there are 1920x1080 pixels on our televisions, so the leap won't be as great as SD->HD

No. Watch_Dogs & Deep Down looked decidedly next generation.

Also, wait until E3 when we'll see Star Wars 1313, PS4 Final Fantasy, Last Guardian, Dark Souls 2, and whatever else they've got.

iLSORBYQiJAqD.gif

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

In Dragon's Dogma 2, what's that little sword icon doing down in the bottom left corner? I also noticed a torch icon down there also. I'm having a hard time believing this is real-time or in playable form. Why would they put that item icon in a target render? I mean visually, I think they can come close, but the camera angles and animation make me suspicious.

kerrak

For once, I'd have to agree with the guy.

The visuals, while definitely pretty, did not feel like a substantial leap over PS3.

Am I the only one that feels like we're truly getting diminishing returns?

I felt the opposite. I wasn't expecting to be wowed, and in the end i was.
All depends on your expectations i suppose.
With this said, mass market probably won't appreciate the leap so much as other features.

KidBeta

In Dragon's Dogma 2, what's that little sword icon doing down in the bottom left corner? I also noticed a torch icon down there also. I'm having a hard time believing this is real-time or in playable form. Why would they put that item icon in a target render? I mean visually, I think they can come close, but the camera angles and animation make me suspicious.

Not gameplay, but certainly in engine.

cant really say much right now, they defiantly look better but we will have to wait until e3 to see hands on demo to really see the difference. So stoked for e3.

Dire

Yeah first gen stuff is not indicative of what comes later.

I think a simple way of summing up why some people are disappointed would be better illustrated by showing the graphics between launch 360 titles vs late gen original XBox titles or similarly for launch PS3/late gen PS2. A game like Kameo was quite a large step up over most late gen XBox titles. The games shown today look nice but I imagine an ignorant but otherwise intelligent third party shown screen shots of the best graphic late gen games of this generation mixed in with some screenies of the games shown today would likely be at least somewhat inaccurate trying to sort out which is which.

eot

Banned
I had hoped to see more interesting applications of the horsepower than just better graphics. More dynamic environments for example. Killzone looked good visually but it looked boring in every other regard.

Duffyside

Banned
sooogoodknccy.gif

I knew something was familiar.

These two .gifs are almost nothing alike. If you were trying to make some sort of Nintendo fanboy comment of "they're copying Wonderful 101," you failed.

Did you see the rest of demo? Surely you're not making commentary on the capabilities of a console based upon a gif that's a few seconds from a live played demo of a possible launch window title?

The game looks great.

I've watched the entire conference like three times now. I'm a huge PS fan. No, I'm not making commentary on the capabilities of a console based upon a gif blahblahblah. The other guy was, in the positive direction, and I pointed out that I didn't think it was all that impressive.

Graphically, game looks good. Still looks like a shooter in the Killzone universe, the franchise Sony really should have let die by now. And, that .gif was on rails, which I don't find all that impressive.

george_us

The biggest difference for me is how everything moves and reacts. I mean shit looks AMAZING in screens but when you see everything in motion (haha remember this from the beginning of the generation?) it takes everything to a whole new level. Like if you squint hard enough you MAY be able to think that Halo 4 looks somewhat as good as Shadow Fall. When you see both in motion though it's not even remotely close. There's a generational leap.

I assume it's fake UI to make it look like gameplay, but it's almost certainly done in-engine though.

From the master:

Cross posting.

I'm not confident that the Deep Down trailer represents playable, animated gameplay, but I have no doubt it's real time in-engine footage either running directly from the PS4 hardware or at the very least PC.

Frame analysing the footage, you can spot the following (I can't believe I'm doing this):

0:26 - Weird DOF at seam as the camera comes into focus of the flame.
0:31 - Fabric tears and stitching on bald guy's cloak are textured on.
0:35 - Pretty typical bloom/glow emanating from the dude's face, simulating illumination from fire. Can also see a seam where the hair* poly is modelled onto the head.
0:42 - Show resolution flickers on the rocks to the left as the torch passes around.
0:43 - Pixellated DOF edge.
0:48 - Standard SSAO/HDAO.
0:52 - What looks like shadow flickering or even z-fighting on the pillars.
1:12 - Sharp pixels when shiny edges are introduced to per object motion blur (you sometimes see this in Crysis 2).
1:18 - Relatively muddy ground texture.
1:22 - Small, physics generated debris 'floating', not colliding with the ground properly.
*and to note that, there's no detailed hair strands/simulation (eyelashes, facial hair, head heair) anywhere in the demo.

Again, not sure about those animations being actual gameplay. And some aspects could be fake with pre-canned, heavily scripted animations (eg: fire). But it looks both fucking incredible and a real time engine demonstration. Flaws are not really negatives, so much as evidence of the reality of real times graphics processing. It's why Ubisoft's bullshot screenshots always have a weird, uncanny look, even though most are using in-game assets. The rendering is always oversampled and touched up, so it's not technically real time anything.

This, on the other hand, looks bona fide real time.

KanyeEast

Banned
You know all this power is not only graphics. I am psyched about psychics too and especially about AI. I want smarter players in my team in Fifa and much better psychics

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Let's come back and compare destiny ps3 to destiny ps4 if you're going to use comparisons like that alright?

How about DOA: U vs. DOA4? You be the judge. Is this bigger than Killzone 3 to Shadow Fall?

Actually some of those leaps look pretty good, if you take into consideration they were basically just ported over and improved.

The only PS3 > PS4 port so far is Destiny which we've seen 3 seconds of. I'll be interested to see the current gen versions of Watch Dogs whenever Ubisoft decides to stop hiding them.

Pimpbaa

Are peoples brains getting wiped every time a new generation of consoles come out? Do people not remember Xbox 1.5 and wall dude from just before the launch of the 360?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought what they showed was ridiculously better looking than anything possible on PS3. On top of that there's also to consider that IQ will finally looks great on 1080p TVs as well.

I was really impressed by what they've done in Knack. I really don't see how it would be possible to get something like that going on PS3, even quality of rendering aside.

Pachter was just talking out of his ass and with no real knowledge about things, as he's always done.

ASIS

Wait are we sure that all the titles there are launch titles? That's awesome!

Anyway, regardless of it being a small or big leap, I'd still call it a generational leap, that's enough for me.

People are trying way too hard to be nonplussed, shit looks fantastic and it's still only the initial announcement stuff. The asset quality baseline has taken a huge leap, PC ports down the line will look even more outrageous, hooray for a new console cycle!

tassletine

I agree and I think Sony do too otherwise they wouldn't be concentrating hard on the social features. The problem is the general public expect social networks for free nowadays so you can't really bank on those things selling your machine. The average gamer in their thirties could care less about social netwoking features, a wife, kids and a job occupy too much time for that.
These sorts of things are mostly attractive for younger people, primarily (and subconsciously) because they offer a way of building a network to help their future. This doesn't really apply to games unless you are hardcore into them -- and that leads us back to teenagers. Very wealthy teenagers. Who this seems to be aimed at.

And for those saying that these are launch titles. Sony have a history of showing amazing (bullshot) demo's when they launch a machine, often not surpassed in the lifetime of the device. Since they have a history of doing that I don't think that will change.
I though watchdogs looked current gen personally -- those are the sorts of games that you'll see early on.

To the people thinking Capcom faked their tech demo, has Capcom ever done something like that? I don't think they have, but I thought I'd ask.
What I remember instead is that Dead Rising and Resident Evil 5 both looked much better when they came out than when they were first shown.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
And for those saying that these are launch titles. Sony have a history of showing amazing (bullshot) demo's when they launch a machine, often not surpassed in the lifetime of the device. Since they have a history of doing that I don't think that will change.
Other than showing CG target renders for some PS3 games (which they didn't do this time) what history do they have doing this? Every realtime demo they've ever shown pre-launch of any console has been matched and then some. How many threads do we have to have about this, when someone says this and then there's people who beat the argument in the ground with clear facts?

I though watchdogs looked current gen personally -- those are the sorts of games that you'll see early on
There isn't an open world game that's even close to that level of fidelity.

To the people thinking Capcom faked their tech demo, has Capcom ever done something like that? I don't think they have, but I thought I'd ask.
What I remember instead is that Dead Rising and Resident Evil 5 both looked much better when they came out than when they were first shown.
It's a realtime in-engine demo. And to whoever would think how that looked not much better than Dark Souls or Skyrim... well I don't know what to say.

nib95

Banned
Some of you are nuts! Pachter was wrong again imo (like most times). These were the closest to CG I think I've ever seen game visuals come. For the first time that bridge is heavily blurred. KZ4, Deep Down, Watchdogs, just unbelievable. KZ stole the show though.

TUROK

If you seriously think that the visuals are not a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade over the PS3's offering, please make your voices heard so I never have to take you seriously ever again.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
How can you not be impressed? I Killzone really runs in this quality in 1080p it's gonna be huge. Hell, Killzone 2 in 1080p would be fucking huge.

I really hope all games are going for the 1080p resolution. Looking forward to a "crsip" future in gaming. No more sub-HD please!

Top Bottom