• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter - Wii HD next year ; Nintendo to go for 360 audience "after 2010"

Yes Boss!

skinnyrattler said:
Maybe Iwata has learned you can't just take your time against 2 aggressive competitors.

That is the key thing. MS is a juggernaut right now and is just going to improve. And folks like to snicker at Sony's sluggish PS3 sales but that giant is starting to reawaken. I can't imagine Nintendo just standing idle with the success of the Wii and DS, especially with Iwata in charge.

Woffls

I think it's straight up wrong to assume that Nintendo can rely on casual gamers forever. It's a new market and we have no reason to believe that it's stable or that the future will hold anything like the sales figures Nintendo has seen so far. The audience is fickle and unreliable and Nintendo would never be naive enough to depend upon them entirely. The core market is stable, it's increasing, and Nintendo has a name and franchises as a good starting point to begin pulling it back. They have already established the casual market so they can continue to put a minimal effort into that and try and 'win us over' with Zelda/Mario/F-Zero/Pikmin/Metroid and, who knows, maybe even some 3rd parties will make some effort.

MotherFan

Woffls said:
I think it's straight up wrong to assume that Nintendo can rely on casual gamers forever. It's a new market and we have no reason to believe that it's stable or that the future will hold anything like the sales figures Nintendo has seen so far. The audience is fickle and unreliable and Nintendo would never be naive enough to depend upon them entirely. The core market is stable, it's increasing, and Nintendo has a name and franchises as a good starting point to begin pulling it back. They have already established the casual market so they can continue to put a minimal effort into that and try and 'win us over' with Zelda/Mario/F-Zero/Pikmin/Metroid and, who knows, maybe even some 3rd parties will make some effort.

The casual market is what holds up almost every industry on the planet. Why is gaming any different? In fact, casuals held up the ps2 as well.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'd like to ask something:
Is there really a reason why people care about Pachter? Just because he's basically the only business analyst that regularly covers hte gaming industry on a week-to-week basis doesn't mean we should pay him any mind.

His articles don't offer any great insights form a business perspective.
I don't believe he has many inside sources of credibility, so he can't be counted on for news leaks or anything of the sort.
His sales estimates/predictions widly differ in accuracy on a per-month basis, and seem to have little correlation with actual sales data, so they aren't reliable at all as early estimates or indicators.

Why do people give him so much attention?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MotherFan said:
The casual market is what holds up almost every industry on the planet. Why is gaming any different? In fact, casuals held up the ps2 as well.

he doesn't mean madden casual or lego star wars casual he means daisy fuentes carnival cake baking showdown casual

legend166

I've always thought 2012 and I still stand by that. By that time they should be able to get PS3 level technology for probably $200, and I think that's what they'll go with. I also think we'll see a combined camera + MotionPlus system out of the box, similar to the PS3 wand. But, obviously, all the required components will be packed in rather than two add ons.

The thing is though, I think this is the safe option. I think if Nintendo did this, they'd be able to grab a lot of their current userbase. Then again, this is Nintendo, and they might go somewhere completely different.

JKBii

I thought somebody bumped the old topic where he predicted it to point out that Iwata himself already denied this. I don't even see why the hardcore would buy a new Wii when they could just buy a Natal for their 360, unless the games are exclusives and state of the art and even then Nintendo might end up with the sales of a PS3. Wii HD doesn't make sense until the next round of consoles, which is not coming anytime soon.

1-D_FTW

There's no way 2010 is happening with Nintendo's 2010 Wii line-up. Because of the motion tech unveiled at this E3, I fully expect Nintendo to start dropping hints about Wii HD at next year's E3. And if Sony and MS are able to release products that live up to the hype at the end of next year, I'd expect Nintendo to release some kind of answer in 2011 (which would be included in a Wii HD.)

JKBii said:
I thought somebody bumped the old topic where he predicted it to point out that Iwata himself already denied this. I don't even see why the hardcore would buy a new Wii when they could just buy a Natal for their 360, unless the games are exclusives and state of the art and even then Nintendo might end up with the sales of a PS3. Wii HD doesn't make sense until the next round of consoles, which is not coming anytime soon.

The hardcore don't matter. Nintendo are building brand equity in the Wii that maybe no console has had since the NES. People who don't know what videogames are still know what a Wii is, but maybe they think its too complicated. If they keep pushing in this direction, you can imagine the Wii HD having a digital TV tuner and basically still not much more processing power.

Mantorok

Logic doesn't seem to enter the brain of these Analysts.

Wii currently selling @ unprecedented rates, Nintendo: Oh yeah let's release another console next year because otherwise we will be losing out - not.

webrunner

Has any industry analyst news ever actually been news? Have they ever said anything that wasn't immediately obvious, wrong, or right just by random chance?

Woffls

Note that he said "after 2010". If we got WiiHD it would be in 2011. Unfortunately, it wouldn't have Mario or Zelda launch titles because we're getting those next year on Wii, apparantly.

WiiHD makes sense before the next round of consoles. Nintendo can take huge advantage right now by introducing a new console that is up to 'next gen standards'. core gamers might actually buy it because the next batch of consoles wont be released for another 2/3 years or so, and until then they can have price drops because it's old tech.

Nintendo have the money to do this, and I think they can afford to market the console to all types of consumers and be reasonably sucessful. They've had phenomenal sucess through iterating the DS, and I think they would be justified in following the exact same model for Wii before the expanded audience gets bored of it and moves onto £200 Super Furbies...

GaimeGuy said:

GaimeGuy said:
because he's basically the only business analyst that regularly covers hte gaming industry

McHuj

Mantorok said:
Logic doesn't seem to enter the brain of these Analysts.

Wii currently selling @ unprecedented rates, Nintendo: Oh yeah let's release another console next year because otherwise we will be losing out - not.

Yes, Wii is currently selling at unprecendented levels, will it continue to do so for the next two years? probably, but we don't know what nintendo's own forecast is for 2010.

And no one knows what Wii HD would be.

WiiHD could just be a DSi over DS type revision. Give it a slight boost in power to support 720p resolutions, but other than that it's identical. THis is kind of what I expect.

No way will Nintendo make a move first, they're market leader, they have the luxury of stretching the generation for more profits, and at the same can react accordingly to any new consoles without any problems since they have this generation in the bag and most of their R&D work will be for the next generation. Obviously they still have to work to get more new products in this generation, but that will be small compared to what they have in store for next generation. New consoles need a gimmick, all three manufacturers will be trying hard to find it, more power just isn't going to cut it anymore. Either way this generation is going to last a long time like I've said before the market crash was even heard of.

Wolves Evolve said:
The hardcore don't matter. Nintendo are building brand equity in the Wii that maybe no console has had since the NES. People who don't know what videogames are still know what a Wii is, but maybe they think its too complicated. If they keep pushing in this direction, you can imagine the Wii HD having a digital TV tuner and basically still not much more processing power.

They will look at people not playing wii and ask themselves

Why arent they playing?

they will try to fix that problem while retaining current userbase

dont expect uber 1080p graphics

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I would have thought the last thing Nintendo want to do is greet MS' big push into casual with with their own push to the core, they might as well just give MS the market share.

Surely they will meet Natal with "Wii has 100s of great motion controlled games for all the family!".

Mantorok

McHuj said:
Yes, Wii is currently selling at unprecendented levels, will it continue to do so for the next two years? probably, but we don't know what nintendo's own forecast is for 2010.

And no one knows what Wii HD would be.

WiiHD could just be a DSi over DS type revision. Give it a slight boost in power to support 720p resolutions, but other than that it's identical. THis is kind of what I expect.

You may have something there, given how the DS has continued it's success now in its 2nd [major] iteration then this scenario could well happen with the Wii.

Although the fact that they haven't even released additional colours over here I can't see them wanting to rock the boat.

Wolves Evolve said:
The 360/PS3 is built of "hardcore" players, you seriously think they don't matter? What use is it to make the Wii HD if it's not going to be more powerful? Some of you people talk like HD is just something you plug in and not worry about.

Ghost said:
I would have thought the last thing Nintendo want to do is greet MS' big push into casual with with their own push to the core, they might as well just give MS the market share.

Surely they will meet Natal with "Wii has 100s of great motion controlled games for all the family!".
Microsoft trying to take the casual space is as hard as Nintendo taking the hardcore gamers (ugh I really hate this whole casual/hardcore bullshit). Natal is just concept at the moment, just like Wii Vitality Sensor, it means nothing until there's software on the market that can take advantage of it, and the market actually favors it over the Wii.

dose

Pachter says a lot of things...

"I think the Wii momentum will last until the Playstation 3 is under $300, so another year"
January 18, 2008

'WoW to lose 75% of subscribers'
"I don't think there are four million people in the world who really want to play online games every month…"
Sep 6th 2005

Kutaragi Being Groomed to Replace Stringer
"Kutaragi is the visionary, and his work on PS3 was done at launch. They need to groom him to replace Stringer."
December 01, 2006

Pachter predicts PS3 price drop to $299 in April
January 12, 2009

Sony to win next-gen - analyst
4 May, 2005
"In 2010, Sony's going to have 55 per cent, Microsoft's going to have 35 per cent and Nintendo 10 per cent"

That's according to Michael Pachter, analyst for Wedbush Morgan, who doesn't believe the new Microsoft tech is likely to launch until after 2010 and only with significant third-party support.

"We think that Project Natal is intended less as a game control scheme than it is as an easy-to-use dashboard control scheme, and we do not expect the device to be launched at retail until it has sufficient third party game support to justify a majority of the installed base to purchase it (we estimate 30 third party games would be sufficient)," wrote Pachter in a note following last week's E3 conference.
Christ. There are 30 million X360s shipped now. If he doesn't expect Natal to launch until 2011 and MS has a few decent years, they could be in the 50 million range by then. Those would have to be 30 pretty monster games (along with the first-party lineup) to even be sure to sell one apiece to half the userbase, let alone to convince half of them to get a peripheral to play them.

EDIT: Especially hard to get the buyers of these games to upgrade if the peripheral were to be mostly about menu control rather than being integral to the main control of these games.

Mantorok

dose said:
4 May, 2005
"In 2010, Sony's going to have 55 per cent, Microsoft's going to have 35 per cent and Nintendo 10 per cent"

This one here pretty much hits the nail on the head.

</thread>

JoshuaJSlone said:
Christ. There are 30 million X360s shipped now. If he doesn't expect Natal to launch until 2011 and MS has a few decent years, they could be in the 50 million range by then. Those would have to be 30 pretty monster games (along with the first-party lineup) to even be sure to sell one apiece to half the userbase, let alone to convince half of them to get a peripheral to play them.
Halo 4 beta - includes Natal Wiggling.

Outside of an "obvious" hardware update, trying to guess what Nintendo is going to do next is like trying to hit a steadily moving target

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Even Wii HD will fail to really compete with PS3\360 graphics are not ALL about resolutions, the Wii still can't even come close to competing on the texture\specialFX capabilities of the PS360. This is unless people are assuming all Wii games are going to come with multiple version of textures for different models of Wii(Keep dreaming)

If I can't have a huge living game world with unlimited draw distances 720p is pretty much worthless to me.

bdouble

As much as I see it kind of ridiculous I wouldn't rule out some sort of Wii with practically the same hardware and it then upscales the image to 720p. Plays all the same games and doesn't have exclusive ones. Next year though? No way.

I didn't see 2010 Wii HD prediction.
More MS going to work for late '10 early '11 with Natal as if it was a console *must have a software lineup* to get a jump on Wii HD which looks summer/fall 2011.

andthebeatgoeson

GaimeGuy said:
I'd like to ask something:
Is there really a reason why people care about Pachter? Just because he's basically the only business analyst that regularly covers hte gaming industry on a week-to-week basis doesn't mean we should pay him any mind.

His articles don't offer any great insights form a business perspective.
I don't believe he has many inside sources of credibility, so he can't be counted on for news leaks or anything of the sort.
His sales estimates/predictions widly differ in accuracy on a per-month basis, and seem to have little correlation with actual sales data, so they aren't reliable at all as early estimates or indicators.

He helps feed Sales Age. A somewhat 'credible' source who does well predicting NPD. Take that away and he's nothing.

legend166 said:
I've always thought 2012 and I still stand by that. By that time they should be able to get PS3 level technology for probably $200, and I think that's what they'll go with. I also think we'll see a combined camera + MotionPlus system out of the box, similar to the PS3 wand. But, obviously, all the required components will be packed in rather than two add ons.

The thing is though, I think this is the safe option. I think if Nintendo did this, they'd be able to grab a lot of their current userbase. Then again, this is Nintendo, and they might go somewhere completely different.
Nintendo has stated that they intend to innovate and utilize their 1st mover position to capitalize on that new market until others copy them. Then, they'll look for another new market. Look at Mario Kart. Luckily, it's software and it takes tremendous skill to replicate all the things that Mario Kart does right. They made up a semi-new genre and have stuck at it, providing a cartoonish racer, avoiding realism, and providing what the consumers wanted: same gameplay with a few new weapons, new characters but it essentially plays the same. For all of Ninty's alleged distaste of upgraded graphics, it what they do with Mario Kart. A few new courses, a few rehashes, a few new items...bam, a new control mechanic. Yes, it's different but I feel a lil disturbed that Mario Kart Wii has a lot of rehashes. It's what I want but Nintendo is different than what they are painted to be. They understand innovation and they understand what sells. And they understand they those two choices are not mutually exclusive nor attached.

I think that Sony's and MS' motion control schemes would be a bomb if they release them in the 4th or 5th year of the console cycle. I don't think either one will be ready by this Christmas and they are just painted into a corner. They could wait til next gen and risk allowing Ninty to completely take over the market or they could be aggressive and try it out for now. At the very least, they get their hardcore followers to stay. Not to say they'll leave but if Nintendo can extract a bunch of key 3rd party games or exclusives, it would leave them vulnerable. I think Sony and MS would launch these peripherals to counteract Nintendo in a strictly marketplace setting. They don't care about the games or your enjoyment, they just want the best chance possible to avoiding being run over. Now, in some people's eyes, they'll never need a Wii and MS needs to protect that segment. Even if they lose 150 to 50.

I was getting to the bolded: Nintendo would be largely unopposed in Motion tech until next generation. Whatever MS and Sony does, it'll have less impact, sales wise. If Nintendo just puts in a few extra features control wise that MS and Sony cannot replicate, they'll be golden. You still have to make the games. Nintendo has shown they can do that with Motion. 3rd parties have shown they still cannot make game changing or sales changing games involving motion. I don't think Nintendo will move far away from their current plan. I think if MS or Sony moves toward Nintendo in motion or gaming experience, it benefits Nintendo. If they move towards Ninty in price, it prevents Nintendo from spending as much. It provides less of a contrast. I hate to say Ninty is in a no-lose situation but they are set up pretty nicely.

BishopLamont said:
No way will Nintendo make a move first, they're market leader, they have the luxury of stretching the generation for more profits, and at the same can react accordingly to any new consoles without any problems since they have this generation in the bag and most of their R&D work will be for the next generation. Obviously they still have to work to get more new products in this generation, but that will be small compared to what they have in store for next generation. New consoles need a gimmick, all three manufacturers will be trying hard to find it, more power just isn't going to cut it anymore. Either way this generation is going to last a long time like I've said before the market crash was even heard of.

Sony moved first on the PS2 generation and they gave them the generation. I think Nintendo has frequently shown they don't like to move first. Given they'll move a ton of hardware and software, most people will be looking towards them. They have a chance to redefine gaming from 'playstation' back to 'Nintendo' in one generation and could just sit on their laurels. I have a hope: all this R&D is due to Iwata. A new face and the man that lead them to this point. It hopefully isn't just for products that won't see the light of day. Hopefully it'll be a product that'll lead the next generation in affordability, timing and be close in terms of tech. They don't need to be first but they shouldn't be last, as was their inclination in the past. SNES, N64, GCN, and Wii (except for a few territories). I think they like being last and changing their tech as needed. It allowed them to take the risk and come in low budget to protect themselves from failure. But it could give Sony or MS a window to move. I don't think Sony has a lot of options. MS is besting them at their game and has Sony's hardcore customers. Sony doesn't have any exclusives left except for 1st party stuff. They have to jump ahead and provide a killer lineup with motion, free online and hardware reliability, first.

madara

These guys need to make up their mind. Get a wii now and be pissed with new version next year or wait it out.

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
The Faceless Master said:
one of these years, nintendo will finally release a console that does hd, and pachter will be there to say "i called it!"

I think that is the point, exactly.

Nintendo is going to release a Wii that has similar specs to the Xbox 360 before they advance the technology beyond the 360/PS3. My original "prediction" was that this would happen in 2009, and I made that guess in early 2007. At the time, I didn't expect the Wii to be as popular as it has been (remember Billy Pidgeon's call on the same day that the Wii would be sold out till 2009?), and I thought that the PS3 would be at the $249 price point by holiday 2009. Both were wrong.

Given the popularity of the Wii, Nintendo can milk it for another 18 months. It's possible that they can go two years, so maybe it's 2011, but it's coming. The collective wisdom of Nintendo is greater than my own, and if I can see that it's in their best interest to upgrade to the 360 standard, they can probably see that as well. In order to maintain their competitive advantage, Nintendo has to give the masses a reason to stay with their product instead of "upgrading" to a 360 or PS3. That reason is the Wii HD.

So yes, I called it, and I did so in 2007. The actual date is irrelevant, I called the migration of the Wii to the current next generation standard, and am still calling it.

Microsoft sees this, and is hopeful of retrofitting the 360 to compete with the new Wii HD. That's the gist of my comments on Monday that were picked up by gamesindustry.biz

Neo C.

Michael (or do you prefer Mr. Pachter?), I just don't see the point in releasing a Wii HD in 2011. Is it a completely new console? Why should Nintendo do the first step? And if Wii HD is just a minimal upgrade: Why do they need to release it when the competition are going to release a next generation console in the time frame 2011-2013 anyway? Wouldn't Wii HD hinder Nintendo in releasing a next generation console?

PSGames

Yes Boss! said:
I've said all along that Natal IS the 720 and there will be a complete rebrand as they intend to capture a large share of Nintendo's new audience. 2010 will likely see fireworks. But that is coming from MS's side. Nintendo has little interest in the 360 audience and they will do their own thing.

What struck out in my mind, and I'm sure for everyone else aswell, was when Don Mattrick stated "This tech is compatible with all 360s we've sold in the past, and all 360s we'll sell in the future". I was left wondering why he would make such a comment like that? But like you've stated they'll probably introduced a completely redisigned console to go with Natal. Pretty interesting.

Mantorok said:
This one here pretty much hits the nail on the head.

</thread>

No one knew the price of the PS3 in 2005, right? He would have been going way out on a limb to call it for Nintendo at that point. Of course it does illustrate the silliness of trying to call anything five years out.

"I don't think there are four million people in the world who really want to play online games every month…"
Sep 6th 2005
OK, that one's pretty embarrassing.

Son of Godzilla said:
The idea that the masses "upgrade" their gaming consoles is kinda silly.
See: DSi sales, April.

Valtor

Banned
Next Wii will be called Wii Plus.

How could it not?

Wiimote --> Wii Motion Plus

Wii Fit --> Wii Fit Plus

Wii --> ...?

So there you go. I called it first!

McHuj

Son of Godzilla said:
The idea that the masses "upgrade" their gaming consoles is kinda silly.

I dunno. Plenty upgraded from DS to DSlite and now are upgrading to DSi. DSi is supposed to have some games that won't be fully compatible with the previous iterations.

I bet many will upgrade to WiiFit Plus and many will buy additional Wii Motion Plus controllers. Some games will absolutely require Motion Plus. Nintendo is splitting their markets far more than MS did with the tard pack. And frankly, it doesn't matter.

I really think that it's not out of the realm of possibility for Nintendo to introduce another Wii revision at the end of next year, call it WiiPlus. It will support some sort of HD output, more internal flash, and the controllers will have built in Wii Motion Plus. Maybe they'll even throw in a .3 megapixel camera on the Wii (if we can be so lucky).

People need to stop over thinking and over reacting to this. WiiPlus (WiiHD) doesn't have to be the true successor to Wii.

michaelpachter

He speaks, and we freak
dose said:
Pachter says a lot of things...

"I think the Wii momentum will last until the Playstation 3 is under $300, so another year"
January 18, 2008

Sep 6th 2005

Kutaragi Being Groomed to Replace Stringer
"Kutaragi is the visionary, and his work on PS3 was done at launch. They need to groom him to replace Stringer."
December 01, 2006

Pachter predicts PS3 price drop to $299 in April
January 12, 2009

4 May, 2005

You're a jerk.

On September 6, 2005, it was inconceivable that WoW would be successful in China. No western game had ever attracted a huge following there. My "four million" estimate was all about penetration in the U.S. and Europe, and they're at 5.5 million now. Shoot me, jerk.

On December 1, 2006, PS3 had just launched, and it wasn't clear that it would be the disaster it had become. Kutaragi was responsible for 25% of Sony profits in the prior decade, and it was inconceivable to me that they would scapegoat him for pushing Blu-ray and the Cell processor. Admittedly, I was wrong. You're still a jerk.

On January 12, 2009, it was crystal clear that Sony had to cut price some time this year. I said "as early as April 1", and said "as much as by $100". So far, wrong, but you're still a jerk.

On May 4, 2005, none of us knew that the PS3 would be $599. I thought that it would be competitively priced, and misjudged the Wii. Also, I thought that Blu-ray would be more popular, as I expected more rapid penetration of HDTV. I was wrong on all three counts. BFD, you're still a jerk.

I'm really tired of the anonymous pissants on NeoGAF taking shots at my wrong predictions. I am quoted a lot because I'm credible, and that credibility is due to my thoughtful approach. If I chose to hedge everything, I'd never be wrong, but I'd never be right, either. If you don't like it, don't read it, but quit being such a jerk. It must have taken a lot of time away from your 8th grade homework to look up all of those quotes.

donny2112

michaelpachter said:
So yes, I called it, and I did so in 2007. The actual date is irrelevant, I called the migration of the Wii to the current next generation standard, and am still calling it.

Well if it's just a matter of the follow-on to Wii being in HD, Miyamoto called it in 2006. :p Iwata repeated that idea this E3, but he also said that they wouldn't release a new system just for HD. He basically said that whenever they feel the Wii has done all it can to provide new experiences, they'll launch a new system, and it'll be in HD. However, HD won't be the reason for the new system.

Valtor said:
Next Wii will be called Wii Plus.

How could it not?

Wiimote --> Wii Motion Plus

Wii Fit --> Wii Fit Plus

Wii --> ...?

So there you go. I called it first!

I had been harboring ideas of "Super Wii," but that works much better. :)

Dragon

Banned
666 said:
Does this guy get paid for this shit?

If you have to ask this question why are you posting in this thread? Usually one tries to get as much information as possible about something or someone before putting them down. Gives them more ammo :)

boiled goose

good with gravy
I would expect nintendo to try and push the bar on the graphics/power front beyond 360/ps3 next time around.

not being up to par on the specs cost them a lot of multiplat games and probably some exclusives.

the tech to do that should be pretty cheap by then.

what i hope to see the most though is a bood online infrastructure....

Top Bottom