• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim Uprising - Trailer 1

grimmiq

I'm torn, it looks OK, but definitely agree on the Yaegers losing the weight they had in the first, fighting looks more Transformers than Pacific Rim. I get this sinking feeling that the end of the movie will be multiple Yaegers joining together.

Jezan

OMG I'm so conflicted.

I loved the first one so so much, it was the first movie I watched more than twice (actually I watched it 10 in theaters), I loved everything about it.

But this one, while the Jaegers now move like Transformers, you can also clearly see the anime inspired moves and designs which is not bad, but they needed the Del Toro aesthetic to not look out of place, and by out of place I mean breaking the (physics) rules that Del Toro established in the first one.

I can't understand why Jake is the main character, Stacker never mentioned him anywhere, not in the first movie, not in the extended universe comics or books. He would have mentioned him because Stacker cared a lot about his family, his character in the first one is cold and overprotective because he lost his father and sister, as well as his co-pilot Tamsin. He wouldn't develop his relationship with Mako as he did if he had a son, how did he keep Mako "isolated" from Jake? For me it's a major retcon and I don't understand why Boyega wanted his fanfic self to be inserted into the movie. Just write him as a different character with no relation to Pentecost.

Maebe

I love how anime this looks :p Wasn't a huge fan of the first but I'm really interested in this one, the mecha look awesome

The more "hype" trailers I watch where they try so hard to make everyone look like a badass in the same way that every other trailer does, the more I kinda wanna never watch a movie again.

Dryk

I'm more okay with the small one moving so fast now that I've realised it's barely the size of a regular Jaeger's foot. I think it's mostly the camerawork letting it down.

Acrylic7

That looked terrible lol.

I loved the first Pacific Rim but from what I got from the trailer it has a completely different tone and feel. Yuck?

JTZyBXL.gif

I watched it again and am 100% in!

Razmos

Awful music.
The narration would have been okay.. as narration, showing that it was an actual speech being delivered in the film was a bad idea, it was really cheesy.
The first film was a pleasant surprise for me, this one looks.. eh. Does not have the same atmosphere as the first film, this one looks like Transformers.

Just noticed the tune in the beginning of the trailer is the PR theme. Glad its still there!

i'm not of a fan of these more limber and agile jeagers. one of my favorite aspects from the first film was how mechanical and weighty they felt.

then there was the original film's cinematography, where every shot was filmed in such a way that made it feel real, e.g. handheld cameras on the street or on the top of skyscrapers. there were none of those impossible shots that this film seems to have in spades

i am very disappointed :(

still, i'll be there day one :D

Yes this is it. The way the scenes are shot make the Jaegars seem smaller than they are. Especially that last shot of them looking up and then getting their weapons out.

I still hope its good.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks alright-ish, I guess.

My biggest problem is that the Jaegars don't seem to have the weight to them that they used to, which sucks from where I am standing but I can see that a lot of people will prefer more dynamism to the robo-fisticuffs.

The portrayal of scale, weight, and force is one of my favorite things in the original, when the one Jaegar shoots its mace-hand at the end of this trailer that is like the opposite of all that.

At least now I understand why their pilot suits were changed, making the pilots more dynamic while controlling the Jaegar makes sense all things considered. They still look kind of blah though.

I was coming to say a similar thing but didn’t know how to put it, you did so much better than I. Maybe it is the camera work, but they don’t look as imposing and don’t look as big comparatively. From the way they moved in the first film to shots of helicopters bringing them in, they looked like big machines that had a real weight to them and everything they did.

To me this, as others have already said, looks like a bunch of Transformers running around and less like a sequel to the first in some respects. I really love the first film and can happily sit and watch it any day of the week, the trailer didn’t do much for me, but I also really didn’t feel the music which might have been a big part of it.

Not seeing the Transformers comparisons. Yeah, they may be slightly less lumbering than in PR1, but they're not nearly as fluid or as acrobatic as the robots in Transformers. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being inferior to PR1, but it definitely still looks like a lot of fun.

The only thing I'm really missing is how great the night aesthetic worked in the first one when mixed with the neon lights of many of the cityscapes. Based off what they've shown in the trailer of this one, it looks a bit too much "robot fight at 1pm"-ish. Hoping that we get some night scenes, dusk scenes, etc thrown in to really push the ambiance.

Gravidee

I'm not seeing the Transformers comparisons here. Where are they moving so weightlessly compared to the first? There is even still cracks and rubble lifted up from the ground when they run.

Yu Kigono

Neo Member
I gotta say, I liked the trailer except the music in the second half. I loved the first movie so I'll be there day one.

TalonJH

So are we really gonna go down the path that some stupid ass kid hacker can actually remotely control a billions dollar death machine and fights the other guys with a Jaeger? like... that's gonna be a thing and then the Kaiju will come back and they will reach out to the hacker to help pilot robots that don't have pilots yet and we're all gonna learn a lesson?

however dumb af that turns out to be i don't even care cause hooooly SHIT like a 5v1 brawl out with some fuckin crazy godzilla sized shit????? YESH! PLEASH!

Unless it's been stated otherwise, im starting to think that they ment "hacker" in the older definition that included modifying hardware. I think she build that smaller junkie looking Jaeger that ran out of the building and stepped on the men in black. I think that's her "recruitment" scene where they bring her in and talk her into helping modifying the main Jeager or it's software.

Kazuhira

What happened with the main guy from the first movie? everyone is back but him.
I know the movie will be entertaining but not really feeling the tone they're going with this one.

Not feeling this. Then sense of scale and weight doesnt look on the same level as the first.

That was my first impression as well.

Oersted

Trailer is a disjointed mess.

I see elements that I like, but the music, epic shots of heroes you don't care about, the rousing speech, action setpieces all over the place...

Trailer shows all kind of things, but never successfully sets up anything.

StoneFox

Looks pretty meh compared to the first but I want to support more kaiju films so I still feel the need to watch this but ehhh

Maybe it's just a bad trailer but I cannot buy into how agile the jeagers are now.

I'm not seeing the transformers-ness of the Jaegers in the trailer. Is it mostly because it's taking place in the daytime when it's dry instead of raining at night? I feel like people may be trying to find things to complain about. Either way, I'm hyped up for this.

Watched the trailer a couple of times and will echo others in saying that I don't care for how the new Jaegers move like they have no weight to them. I know these are advanced models but the way the old Jaegers moved and fought was so much more satisfying, they were HEAVY.

Del Toro wasn't involved in this sequel very much, was he? It feels like it's missing that Del Toro touch.

WaterAstro

Rewatched some original Pacific Rim. I hope they capture the weight of the fight, and how the jaegers maneuver really slowly for a more impactful feel.

Looks good. But I agree with others about the Jaegers lacking the weight of the original, and the cinematography is definely missing that grounded feeling of the original. Everything just feels smaller. Still looking forward to it though :)

aBarreras

im hating this "i liked the weight from the jaggers on the first one", people, time has passed, humanity continued to develop jaggers, knowing that it was a civilization that was attacking, it its fairly obvious that they will try again, no reason to stop developing the jagger technology.

i mean, no even 2 jaggers could take a category 5 down. how do you expect to defend earth when the enemy retaliates?

it is logical that jaggers are better and faster this time around.

WaterAstro

im hating this "i liked the weight from the jaggers on the first one", people, time has passed, humanity continued to develop jaggers, knowing that it was a civilization that was attacking, it its fairly obvious that they will try again, no reason to stop developing the jagger technology.

i mean, no even 2 jaggers could take a category 5 down. how do you expect to defend earth when the enemy retaliates?

Thousands of years passed in the Mechwarrior universe, and the mechs haven't turned into Gundams. It's fiction. They should be able to keep the same feeling as the first movie.

Lynd7

I question why would they develop more Jaegers when the governments in the first film didn't want to make or develop more when they were on the brink of losing. I think it would be more likely they would consider the job done after the way they ended it in the first film.

If anything they should be caught with their pants down.

blakep267

People really have a thing about transformers. I mean I don't like Films but not every film with robots is transformers or brings the negative

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
What a terrible terrible song.

Yeah that was the only thing holding the trailer back.

2Pac and anime don't really meld well.

Other than that this looks balls-to-wall awesome!

Haruko

I'm torn, it looks OK, but definitely agree on the Yaegers losing the weight they had in the first, fighting looks more Transformers than Pacific Rim. I get this sinking feeling that the end of the movie will be multiple Yaegers joining together.

Idk, that Jaeger at 1:40 sure looks damn heavy

aBarreras

Thousands of years passed in the Mechwarrior universe, and the mechs haven't turned into Gundams. It's fiction. They should be able to keep the same feeling as the first movie.

good for them i guess? this is pacific rim

I question why would they develop more Jaegers when the governments in the first film didn't want to make or develop more when they were on the brink of losing. I think it would be more likely they would consider the job done after the way they ended it in the first film.

If anything they should be caught with their pants down.

well they now have evidence and stuff, i mean my point mostly is that if the jaggers are faster now, there are a lot of ways to explain it,

Top Bottom