• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim Uprising - Trailer 1

Superflat

The script was one the weakest parts of the first movie, so Del Toro's presence or absence is not really relevant to that aspect of the film.

Where Del Toro is missed is with the direction and set design and overall aesthetic.

Having less money is also a pretty huge issue as well.

True, the story and writing/characterization was paper thin, but I found it enjoyable as a B-movie with a huge budget since the monster battles were so well done. It's more Del Toro's touch with that stuff that I fear the second film will miss completely. He always had an eye for showcasing monsters and action in a inventive way, largely due to his love and passion for the source materials.

And yea the budget issue will hurt the main draw of Pacific Rim, for sure.

For what it's worth, he's pretty active on Twitter and I do not believe he has acknowledged this trailer in any way.

Yeah, figured.

Kicko

Because typically these individuals aren't into hip-hop/rap at all. I encounter it all the time.
Obnoxious cries of "horrible music" followed by suggestions of some guitar based form of music as a replacement. It almost never fails, and you almost NEVER see this type of behavior when the situations are reversed. It's quite amusing I might add.

- J - D -

Those who wanted some familiar notes from the first film got a nice Ramin Djawadi guitar riff at the beginning of the trailer, but for the new, we got a sweet Tupac loop to get the blood pumping at the end. What's there to whine about.

Because typically these individuals aren't into hip-hop/rap at all. I encounter it all the time.
Obnoxious cries of "horrible music" followed by suggestions of some guitar based form of music as a replacement. It almost never fails, and you almost NEVER see this type of behavior when the situations are reversed. It's quite amusing I might add.

I think it's more that the track doesn't fit the trailer for a sequel and expectations people have for it, rather than just a dislike for hip hop or rap. I don't dislike the track but I sure as hell didn't expect it lol

TheWraith

Earlier in this thread people were thinking this was her on the right

If that's incorrect, she has been confirmed to return regardless

That's not her, looks like a Chinese gang. Kikuchi can clearly be seen in the trailer on a bridge overlooking a hangar in the base. Watch again, you'll see her.

Kicko

I think it's more that the track doesn't fit the trailer for a sequel and expectations people have for it, rather than just a dislike for hip hop or rap. I don't dislike the track but I sure as hell didn't expect it lol

Seriously, what expectations did people have for this film musically? I watched the original multiple times and the soundtrack never stood out to me. It's solid, but not memorable. Maybe I need to sift through youtube to refresh my memory.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Christ, the CGI here makes me think she's about to say..

"The Brotherhood of Nod have captured one of our vital intelligence points, take it back commander"

Ohh god.
Now ill never be able to unsee that.
Hahahaha but really the CGI needs some work, and these new Jeagers are terribly designed(overdesigned?)

zhopefully the tone of the movie isnt quite like the trailer portrays cuz otherwise im gonna be so disappointed

Mechazawa

Music was fine, movie just looks bleh as hell. Going from hot-blooded Idris Elba apocalypse cancelling neon city rained soaked Big O Punches to this is just.

;_;

The style just ain't there.

TheWraith

Nah that's her on the right

Yeah you're right I can see it now.

Also notice that Chinese actress in the middle is the same horrible Chinese actress the Chinese investors in Legendary pictures injected into Kong Skull Island, seems they did the same to this movie. :(

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
Yeah you're right I can see it now.

Also notice that Chinese actress in the middle is the same horrible Chinese actress the Chinese investors in Legendary pictures injected into Kong Skull Island, seems they did the same to this movie. :(

Don't forget Great Wall as well!

Legendary is really trying hard to make her their JLaw

Please stop is all I can say on that matter :\

Zyzyxxz

Don't forget Great Wall as well!

Legendary is really trying hard to make her their JLaw

Please stop is all I can say on that matter :\

I remember reading how even people in China are wondering how this, Jing Tian (whom I assume you are referring to) rose to such high profiles roles so quickly.

There's tons of speculation thats she either related to someone wealthy and powerful or fucking them.

In terms of versatility she can't speak English very well making her hard to work with western movie crews and her acting ability has shown to be nothing special so its very curious as to how she's been able to move up so fast.

Mendrox

Seriously, what expectations did people have for this film musically? I watched the original multiple times and the soundtrack never stood out to me. It's solid, but not memorable. Maybe I need to sift through youtube to refresh my memory.

Ehh first films soundtrack was god damn amazing. I remember so many good scenes and moments because of it.

Ennosuke

I have weird feelings about this trailer. Yes it is awesome that we have a second movie. But I also feel like something essential is missing. The style and the atmosphere is not really "there", at least in the first trailer.

Boring designs? Looks like the Power Rangers? Not good...

The director was pretty candid here, and flat out said the pilot suit downgrades were budgetary:

2SWQl5l.png

https://twitter.com/stevendeknight/status/917557835101175808

Said already but ..
they move too fast. The original nailed the ponderous weight. this trailer looks like people in suits fighting in a toy town.
michael bay style focus on the girl while huge things happen around her is a Bad Sign.

I like some parts of this but feel it is in extreme danger of losing what made the original so watchable.

I hope they mass produced robots during those 10 years of peace.

I mean surely they’d expect another attack eventually so wouldn’t it make sense to be absolutely ready with new weapons, robots, tactics etc...

Eh, I'll give it a watch. Not an uber-fan of the first one but I liked it well enough.

Really worried about the
Jaeger vs Jaeger scenes
we saw there. I really hope this doesn't means some human is gonna be the main bad guy cause I've seen that far too many times.

DonShula

Saw the trailer during BR2049. Wanted to be more excited about it. Seemed too... bright, maybe. Still interested but the trailer just didn’t hit me the right way.

Top Bottom