• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim Uprising - Trailer 1

KonradLaw

Of course they don't have to, it's just that on this forum, it's not always about just not liking hip-hop.

As seen in the Assassin's Creed trailer thread, people react viscerally if it's hip-hop they don't like soundtracking a trailer. It always devolves into them explaining that a) they think hip-hop is trash and doesn't deserve a fair shake or b) them irrationally hating the artist. Here, it's more of a).

I will admit that it is unfair of me to have quoted the first two people because I particularly didn't think the 2Pac song was the best fit for the trailer, but that third post is just utterly ridiculous and a case of someone showing their ass.

I think a lot of that is Hollywood often not knowing how to use hiphop tracks effectively in trailers. This type of music is by nature less fluid and likelu harder to mesh with footage because of that. When it's done properly it works very well. I don't remember anyone having trouble with COD:MW2 launch trailer. Heck, most would agree it's still the best launch trailer the series had.
It doesn't help that a lot of trailers seems to be pick very non-catchy hip-hop tracks

Bold One

They went full anime and I love it.

Finally, Boyega in the Starring/leading role, hoping the trailer isn't another bait and switch.

CassSept

I think a lot of that is Hollywood often not knowing how to use hiphop tracks effectively in trailers. This type of music is by nature less fluid and likelu harder to mesh with footage because of that. When it's done properly it works very well. I don't remember anyone having trouble with COD:MW2 launch trailer. Heck, most would agree it's still the best launch trailer the series had.
It doesn't help that a lot of trailers seems to be pick very non-catchy hip-hop tracks

Yeah, hip hop can work in a film trailer but usually they just pick a random song that doesn't fit the film at all, or edit the trailer in a way that doesn't utilize it at all.

Wolf of Wall Street trailer was bloody incredible in part due to song choice.

That said, I'm not feeling that trailer. Talking about restraint in a movie about robot fighting monsters is ludicrous so I'm not gonna do that, but something is missing that made the original film good. It's not even the worse cgi, it's the artstyle. Moreover, anyone can just sploosh cgi all over every scene randomly to make it look AWESOME, doesn't mean that final product will be good.

a.wd

I thought of that but how would that actually work? The Kaiju melding together clearly catches them off guard, for the Jaegers to merge they'd need to have that function already programmed into them, be built for the purpose of connecting. So unless they secretly expected that the need to Constructacon themselves would arise in the future, they'd need to build brand new Jaegers for that to work.

Thinking about it I'm actually gonna be kind of pissed if they just suddenly have the ability to connect without any build up or prior explanation, that's a huge logic gap.

In the giant ninja robots vs space Monsters from another dimension, the fact that they might form like voltron is a massive leap? Even though kaiju keep escalating in size over time and we know from the first film that they are going to get way bigger and more dangerous?

Nah fam, anything that happens in this film is just going to be stupid awesome fun and this trailer has me Hyyyyyyyyyyyyped, dat music, dat boyega DAY FUCKING 0!

_Aaron_

This looks goofy in a dumb way. Not goofy in a cool way.

Agreed.

It feels more like they're edging closer to something like Transformers.

Should've kept it at night like the first film. Gave the kaiju a much darker tone and atmosphere.

valeo

This is missing....something, but I can't put my finger on it. Pacific Rim was the perfect blend of corny and endearing. This seems to swerve too far to corny.

Arex

LOL the music... someone put the first movie's music to this trailer please >_>

Otherwise, cautiously interested. Pretty cool that they show more daytime fights this time.

chefbags

This is missing....something, but I can't put my finger on it. Pacific Rim was the perfect blend of corny and endearing. This seems to swerve too far to corny.

Missing that Mako Mori and Raleigh Becket.

I really wish they're still the main characters. Or at least have mako be in a bigger role. She was like the driving force for me in the last movie.

jsnepo

Hopefully the Jaegars are still slow for it shows weight. I don't want this to be another Transformers where the robots can do break dancing.

sKiTz

A massive fan of the first, anyone think that the CGI is not up to par? I know it’s the first trailer but still looks very fake.....which is dissapointing.

tci

That music ruined the entire trailer for me. One of the worst trailer music I have heard in years. There was nothing wrong with the original track. That one was built as a hype machine. The one in this trailer did the exact opposite.

kurahador

To be fair that's the main trailer of PR1.
I remember not liking the first trailer which is this.

PR1 trailer:
417xxVe.jpg

PR Uprising trailer:

xevis

Banned
Awful trailer.

Also, black protagonist therefore American battle rap? Bloody hell Hollywood. Get your act together. The dude is English, right? Why not some music from the UK? Not to mention that tupac, who is amazing otherwise, is an awful fit for the trailer.

jelly

That looks pretty bad and they brought those scientists back, god they were the worst in the first film.

zoukka

PR1 still the king of CGI fights. Weta outdid themselves there... here’s hoping this can match some of the scenes at least.

Is this like the new young cast, new generation cliche?

I kinds missed how much time passed but humanity recovered really fast and didnt feel scared or in danger but happy and spamming jokes

Kaizer

Banned
Not that this movie had much of chance anyway, but releasing it in May, at the beginning of Summer Movie craze is just sending it out to die. Feel like they'd do better with a February/March release date.

Fake Edit: Okay never mind, saw the date is March. Last time I checked it was May.

Cuburt

I enjoyed the first despite the corniness, but this seems like it's just going full-on YA Power Rangers or something instead of Kaiju monster movie/sci-fantasy film. The first film at least made an attempt to root it in the real world with the design/look and world building despite how over the top the premise is. This seems to be leaning more into the cartoonish side of things.

It's like comparing Burton's Batman to Schumacher's.

Top Bottom