• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 31, 2014

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, let me get this straight.

Fifa Wii is 33rd. Fifa 3DS is 36th. Fucking Yu-Gi-Oh (the game which saw something like 60% of the original content cut) is 45th.
Meanwhile, in 40% marketshare-land, Watch Dogs is 75th (PS4 version is 4th, lower than the PC one) and Fifa is nowhere to be seen.

Anything else to say?

Vlodril

I realise the xb1 is doing mediocre to bad all over but is there a reason it does especially bad in germany. its ridiculous how low the software is.

Bundy

Banned
Ah thanks

So for XB1 this week in Germany

68. Forza 5
75. Watch Dogs
98. Wolfenstein TNO

For PS4 this week

1. TLOU Remastered
4. Watch Dogs
8. Killzone SF
9. Fifa 14
18. Infamous SS
19. BF4
23. ACIV
28. NFS:R
30. COD: Ghosts
31. Knack
32. Wolfenstein: TNO
38. Sniper Elite III
87. NBA 2K14
88. Rayman Legends

Wii U

6. Mario Kart 8
53. Super Mario 3D World
78. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

PlayStation domination :O

The X1 is in dire straits, I wonder when they will finally get through selling all those TF bundles (unless MS is still making them?)

Tenki

Imru’ al-Qays;124405754 said:
What explains Nintendo's (relatively) stellar performance in France?

Better taste. And also French love Japanese things, and Nintendo is part of it.

synce

Kind of interesting that PS4/xbone versions of FIFA are just a couple spots apart but everything else is 10-30 spots apart

Better taste. And also French love Japanese things, and Nintendo is part of it.

Having lived and taught in France I'm not sure "better taste" has anything to do with it. The French public at large has great taste in food and drink and maybe literature but it isn't exactly discerning when it comes to movies or music, I'm not sure why video games would be any different. The Japanese thing might be part of it, though Nintendo's games aren't recognizably Japanese to a layperson in the same way that manga or Hayao Miyazaki's films are. In fact, a lot of my students were unaware that Mario and Pokémon were Japanese at all.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Imru’ al-Qays;124408358 said:
Having lived and taught in France I'm not sure "better taste" has anything to do with it. The French public at large has great taste in food and drink and maybe literature but it isn't exactly discerning when it comes to movies or music, I'm not sure why video games would be any different. The Japanese thing might be part of it, though Nintendo's games aren't recognizably Japanese to a layperson in the same way that manga or Hayao Miyazaki's films are. In fact, a lot of my students were unaware that Mario and Pokémon were Japanese at all.

Pretty sure better taste is subjective and by that he means they line up closer to his tastes, than well any other interpretation.

How long ago did this France loves Nintendo thing start? I seem to recall Nintendo basically not giving a shit about Europe in the NES/SNES years.

Bundy

Banned
It will be interesting to see Geramny reaction to MS at gamescom
Won't change much.
Just think about it:
The PS4 was sold out until April/May 2014.
People went into stores, for more than 6 months, looking after a PS4 and just found empty shelves.
The store clerk told them "Sorry, the PS4 is sold out. We don't know when they will be available again. But you can get an Xbone for the same price (which means with Kinect) including Titanfall (when it finally launched) and people still said "lol" and leaved the store empty handed. They rather waited for a PS4 restock.
End of the brutal story: They don't want nor like an Xbone.

Kyougar

Germany XBox/Microsoft Situation:

There are many reasons why Microsoft is in the gutter here in Germany. Long-term and Short-term.

Short-term XBox and Microsoft issues:
- Privacy and Spying issues. This is HUGE here in Germany. Microsoft lost the generation in Germany on the 7th of June 2013: http://pics.computerbase.de/5/0/0/5/5/1_m.jpg PRISM NSA - Scandal, mere Days (4) before E3 2013
Who was the first IT Giant, that signed up for Prism? MICROSOFT. Who is absent from that list? Sony!
At that moment, Xbox One with mandatory Kinect was the SPY-CONSOLE here in Germany.
- The TV-deals and NFL Focus (America F*** Yeah! stance) are not particulary well liked. The expactation to get this TV-Deals in a timely manner was nonexistant. All the All-in-one Setteop-Box Nonsense has no impact in the germany TV market.

Longterm XBox and Microsoft issues:
- betrayal of the PC-Gaming Market. The other huge issue that we have with Microsoft. You guys might have heard, that we germans love PC-Gaming. Microsoft was one of the big PC-Gaming Publishers that had a great standing in Germany. Especially with well liked Genres like Flight/Space Sims, Strategy and Mecha.
Starlancer, Freelancer, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Mech Commander, Age of Empires, etc. etc. All well loved. And Microsoft burned these bridges.
We couldnt wrap our heads around the notion, that a PC-centric IT-Giant created their own opponent with the XBox Division.
They raised a youth who never learned to use Windows jackiechanmeme.jpg Why would you do that?
They should have made all their exclusives Crossbuy/crossplay from the beginning. So that the XBox Division was not an opponent to the Windows Division and you dont burn bridges with your Windows followers. The consensus here and in the us seems to be, that PC gaming is not for them and the majority would never play with KB/M. Then Microsoft should have had no fears of undermining their console-sales.

Personally, I boycotted the Xbox when Halo was announced as an XBox Exclusive. And microsoft Gaming Studios is now nonexistant in the PC Sector. RIP Freelancer and Mech Commander Series.
(Still use Windows and Office)

jvm

Gamasutra.
MCV UK gives some detail on July sales:
MCV UK said:
How To Train Your Dragon 2 was the only new game to make the UK Chart-Track Retail Top 50 last month.

As a result, the best-selling games of July were Watch Dogs at No.1 (released in May), Sniper Elite III at No.2 (released in June) and FIFA 14 at No.3 (released in September 2013). At No.4 it was Wolfenstein: New Order (May), while Titanfall (March) rounded off the Top Five.

Given the dearth of new releases, it will come as no surprise that the number of boxed games sold last month was down 47 per cent compared with June. In terms of revenue, the decline was even steeper: a drop of 51 per cent. (Overall, 1.1m physical games were sold between June 29th and July 26th, which generated just £6.6m.)

There's also a bit in there about hardware, but it's hand waving.

BKK

Old?

WiiU 360k in France until June. Went from selling 7-800/week a year ago to 4-5,000/week since the release of Mario Kart 8.

Old?

WiiU 360k in France until June. Went from selling 7-800/week a year ago to 4-5,000/week since the release of Mario Kart 8.

yeah it's old, although I dunno where I got this from originally

Imru’ al-Qays;124409474 said:
How long ago did this France loves Nintendo thing start? I seem to recall Nintendo basically not giving a shit about Europe in the NES/SNES years.

dunno, but the Gamecube did relatively well there (compared to, well, elsewhere)

Bruno MB

Mh9KZ.png

Sweden
Week 31, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PS4 THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
02 (01) PS3 MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
03 (04) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
04 (02) PS3 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (03) WIU MARIO KART 8 (NINTENDO)
06 (08) PS3 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (05) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (10) PC THE SIMS 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (15) 360 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
10 (07) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
11 (16) PS3 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
12 (06) PC BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
13 (19) 360 SKATE 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
14 (12) 360 BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
15 (__) WII SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
16 (__) PS3 SKATE 3 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
17 (__) PS3 GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
18 (__) PS3 THE LAST OF US (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
19 (09) PS3 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)
20 (13) PS4 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)

WquyV.png

Finland:
Week 31, 2014 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) THE LAST OF US: REMASTERED (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
02 (01) MINECRAFT (MICROSOFT / SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
03 (02) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
04 (03) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (05) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
06 (04) THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
07 (07) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
08 (06) 2014 FIFA WORLD CUP BRAZIL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (10) NHL 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (__) CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS II (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)

mf2Bby8.png

Australia:
Week 31, 2014 - Full Price Games (All Formats)

02 (03) WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)
03 (01) MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
04 (02) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
05 (05) ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
06 (04) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (07) NBA 2K14 (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
08 (08) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
09 (06) THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)
10 (__) LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

L4iEuoa.png

New Zealand:
Week 31, 2014 - Full Price Games (All Formats)

02 (01) MINECRAFT: PLAYSTATION 3 EDITION (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)
03 (02) CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (04) WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT)
05 (07) BATTLEFIELD 4 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (03) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (06) GRAND THEFT AUTO V (TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE)
08 (05) ASSASSIN'S CREED IV - BLACK FLAG (UBISOFT)
09 (10) NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (__) KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL (SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT)

The Last Of Us Remastered dominating everywhere then.

According to Amazon UK the PS3 version of TLOU is currently the 2nd best selling game. (Ignoring FIFA / Destiny pre-orders) I wonder if it will make an appearance on the official chart tomorrow?

noobie

Banned
The Last Of Us Remastered dominating everywhere then.

According to Amazon UK the PS3 version of TLOU is currently the 2nd best selling game. (Ignoring FIFA / Destiny pre-orders) I wonder if it will make an appearance on the official chart tomorrow?

I think with normal drop of 1st week to 2nd week of 80%. we can expect the sales to be around 14 - 15k. Which should make it comfortably land in Top 3.

But i think as its a re-release therefore the drop should be much closer to 60%. so expecting it to sell around 20 - 25k which can make it land at No 1 in UK charts

Bundy

Banned
I think with normal drop of 1st week to 2nd week of 80%. we can expect the sales to be around 14 - 15k. Which should make it comfortably land in Top 3.

But i think as its a re-release therefore the drop should be much closer to 60%. so expecting it to sell around 20 - 25k which can make it land at No 1 in UK charts

I guess he really IS talking about the PS3 version of TLOU.

AvnvWxI.png

jaina

What's with France all of a sudden, buying Mario Kart 7 for 3DS, back in top sellers!

Kid: "I want that new Mario Kart from the TV commercials."
Parent: (oh that would require a new console) "We'll just get you the 3DS version, and you even get to play it while we're on vacation this summer."

United Kigdom
04 (03) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

Germany
02 (01) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

France
01 (01) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

Italy
03 (04) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

Tomodachi Life's success is one of the biggest mysteries of the year.

ibtDbeUk56KTUp.gif

LOCK

United Kigdom
04 (03) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

Germany
02 (01) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

France
01 (01) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

Italy
03 (04) 3DS TOMODACHI LIFE (NINTENDO)

Tomodachi Life's success is one of the biggest mysteries of the year.

ibtDbeUk56KTUp.gif
And this will only mean better things for future localization's.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
With little in the way of new releases, ‘The Last of Us: Remastered’ (-55%) easily holds on to the No1 crown for a second week.

The Top 3 are all unchanged with ‘Watch Dogs’ (-14%) and ‘FIFA 14’ (-19%) still holding at No2 and No3 respectively. Retailer promotions for ‘GTA V’ (+37%) propel it six places to No4 its highest position since the end of October last year. ‘Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition’ (-2%) remains at No5 while ‘The Lego Movie Videogame’ (-10%) slips two places to No6. ‘Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition’ (-7%) also slides a place to No7. ‘Call of Duty: Ghosts’ (-2%), ‘Battlefield 4’ (-8%) and ‘Sniper Elite 3’ (-25%) round off the Top 10 this week.
The sole new release breaking into the Top 40 this week is Capcom’s ‘Ultra Street Fighter IV’ landing at No15. ‘The Last of Us’ (+73%) also makes a second appearance in our Top 40 this week with the original PS3 version climbing to No24.

Individual top 40

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

Top Bottom