• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL CHarts - Week 39, 2008

Nolan.

cjelly said:
I don't even watch that much TV, but holy fuck have I seen a lot of 360 ads this week.

Yeah i've seen them all over the place lately. A lot on the mtv channels and even obscure ones like living etc. They are kind of annoying too, anyway halo3 in the charts... bundle or something.?

spwolf

Opiate said:
I think we should just say [game x] flopped, and leave it at that, then do larger scale analysis with a multitidue of titles when we can, rather than individual ones. It's like plotting with a single data point. And just to make sure everyone knows, I'm not really sure Pure "flopped," on the PS3. It just did significantly less well than the 360 version in the first week. Most of what I said above is intended to apply more generally and not just to Pure/Motorstorm in particular.

yes, but it seems that Pure sales between 360 and PS3 were much more in favour of 360 than usual, and what other reason could be than MS2 going on sale in few weeks?

There are 4 other multiplaform releases that exactly prove MS2 point on those very charts.

Unless Pure was substantially worse on PS3 - which it wasnt by going by gamerankings.

In that case, Pure's probable low sales on PS3 had a lot to do with Motorstorm 2.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
pswii60 said:
Where do you live?

Here in the UK I've only seen a couple despite MS's "biggest marketing campaign ever" press release.

Ironically, I've seen Nintendo's Samba de Amigo ad a fucking MILLION times. And yes, I know it's a SEGA game, but it's a Nintendo advert.

Was watching the football on Setanta at the weekend and there was almost a 360 add on during every break.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm kinda suprised that neither De Blob, Samba de Amigo or Warioland The Shake Dimension didnt even make it within the UK Top 40 all formats/all prices list. These 3 titles seems to be rather "big" titles for the Wii, atleast i'm under that impression.

I'm not going to say they bombed or anything because they have only been out for sale for a few days, and the holiday season is comming slowly. I will wait a few weeks or so, or maybe to after christmas, and see if the sales (or atleast positions in the UK Top 40 charts) rises :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
test_account said:
I'm kinda suprised that neither De Blob, Samba de Amigo or Warioland The Shake Dimension didnt even make it within the UK Top 40 all formats/all prices list. These 3 titles seems to have been rather "big" titles for the Wii, atleast that is my impression.

I'm not going to say they bombed or anything because they have only been out for sale for a few days, and the holiday season is comming slowly. I will wait a few weeks or so, or maybe to after christmas, and see if the sales (or atleast positions in the UK Top 40 charts) rises :)

Define rather big. They might be hyped by a base desperate for games but they arent big in a sales sense at all.

test_account said:
I'm kinda suprised that neither De Blob, Samba de Amigo or Warioland The Shake Dimension didnt even make it within the UK Top 40 all formats/all prices list. These 3 titles seems to have been rather "big" titles for the Wii, atleast that is my impression.

As mentioned above, in my experience at least Wario is not widely available yet - if at all. I can't think of any time when my local Woolworths hasn't had a Nintendo-published game on the day of release, so I'm beginning to think it has been quietly pushed back a week or so.

That said, the absence of both de Blob and Samba is odd. Samba has had a relatively big marketing push - regular primetime ads, no less - and both games are getting prominent positioning in-store. To see neither chart in the AF Top 40 is very peculiar.

zsidane

Chart Track said:
The top 3 games in the All Formats Chart remain the same for a second week as Lucasarts’ ‘Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’ holds on to No1 despite a 38% drop in sales.

Nintendo’s ‘Wii Fit’ at No2 is continuing to shape up nicely, registering its 3rd largest sales week ever with a 75% rise in sales, while ‘Mario Kart Wii’ is a non-mover at No3 (sales up 26%). Ubisoft’s ‘Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway’ enters the battlefield at No4, only 2,250 sales behind Nintendo (65% of sales on Xbox 360, 35% on PS3), while Disney Interactive Studios has this weeks only other All Formats Top 10 new entry with ‘Pure’ at No8. This week last year there were 4 All Formats Top 10 new entries, including ‘Halo 3’ at No1 and ‘FIFA 08’ at No2. EA only have one Top 10 game this week with ‘Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09’ down one place at No5, as ‘Mercenaries 2: World in Flames’ drops from No6 to No11, however ‘FIFA 09’ should kick start things for the big US publisher when it is launched next week. The ‘Wii Fit’ influenced game ‘Family Trainer’ from Namco-Bandai/Atari debuts at No20, proving that even with renewed stock of the Nintendo original, there is a market for similar fitness titles on Wii.
I honestly don't get those huge Wii Fit sales...

test_account

XP-39C²
HK-47 said:
Define rather big. They might be hyped by a base desperate for games but they arent big in a sales sense at all.
Rather big as in anticipated titles and popularity. Especially for being Wii exclusive titles as well (atleast i'm under the impression that sometimes system exclusive titles seems to be more popular (or atleast more hyped) compared to some multiplatform titles). But as you said, they might be hyped by a small userbase on i.e NeoGAF and other internet sites and forums, maybe that is why i'm under the impression that these titles are "rather big".

Samba de Amigo seems to take pretty good advantage of the Wii control system as well (although i heard in some review that they didnt work super well, but i havnt tried it myself or checked more into that), i mean that this game seems to suit the Wii control system well if you know what i mean? I thought maybe this would have some broader appeal to the general public (or what i shall say). Maybe not everyone are aware of what kinda game Samda de Amigo is though. Maybe De Blob and Warioland The Shake Dimension also takes good advantage of the Wii control system, but unfortunately i havnt checked too much into those games.

But as said, i'm not saying that these games bombed or anything, i think it is too early for that. I hope these 3 games end up selling well atleast :)

Spiegel said:
Wario is in stock at play.com, dvd.co.uk and game

In stock as in listed on their website as being available or in stock as in you've bought a copy from them? Sorry to be pedantic, but it is very unusual for none of my local shops to not have stock of a new Nintendo release on launch & I'm curious as to whether it's a limited stock issue or whether it has been shunted back a week.

Woolies in particular seem to have a very good relationship with Nintendo, and when even my local branch in the Highlands gets good stock of Nintendo products (including a pretty decent launch allocation of Wii Fit!) it does seem odd for them not to have it on day one.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cosmonaut X said:
As mentioned above, in my experience at least Wario is not widely available yet - if at all. I can't think of any time when my local Woolworths hasn't had a Nintendo-published game on the day of release, so I'm beginning to think it has been quietly pushed back a week or so.

That said, the absence of both de Blob and Samba is odd. Samba has had a relatively big marketing push - regular primetime ads, no less - and both games are getting prominent positioning in-store. To see neither chart in the AF Top 40 is very peculiar.
Ye, maybe Warioland isnt widely avalible yet, that might be a reason for the rather low ranking in this week's UK Top 40 charts. I think would atleast make sence atleast. If there is a stock problem, then hopefully it will be more avalible as soon as possible :)

Ye, i think it was alittle strange about De Blob and Samba de Amigo as well, but i will wait some weeks or so to see if the sales (or atleast that they are being ranked higher in the UK Top 40 charts) picks up :)

Spiegel

Cosmonaut X said:
In stock as in listed on their website as being available or in stock as in you've bought a copy from them?

On the websites.
But I don't think that they are lying, If a game is out of stock they always point out that on the website.

nli10

Opiate said:
Again, I don't think this logic is inherently invalid, but look at games like Halo, which are even bigger than Motorstorm -- yet it if anything, it seems to drive similar games to larger sales, not smaller ones. Why does Mario Galaxy not crush games like Spyro and Crash? Why are all the minigame clones doing so well in the wake of the juggernaughts Wii Sports and Wii Play?

You can always come up with an explanation or rationalization of some kind, and in this case, we've actually set it up so that virtually every flop could be explained away using this method: if a flopped game has competition, then it was crushed by the competition; if a flopped game doesn't have competition, then the audience doesn't exist for that type of game on that system, so of course it didn't sell.

I think we should just say [game x] flopped, and leave it at that, then do larger scale analysis with a multitidue of titles when we can, rather than individual ones. It's like plotting with a single data point. And just to make sure everyone knows, I'm not really sure Pure "flopped," on the PS3. It just did significantly less well than the 360 version in the first week. Most of what I said above is intended to apply more generally and not just to Pure/Motorstorm in particular.

I'm unsure what point your arguing here - PS3 Pure didn't flop (as you mention) all we factually know is that it was below the 360 version. If we presume that all week one games sell the same as Brothers in Arms 65:35 ratio then Pure probably matches this.

Someone asked if there was a reason that this might have been for Pure and I suggested that the PS3 has one iconic game in the genre which is now cheap which might drain the launch week - dayone sales/pre-orders and asked whether the 360 had any. I genuinely don't know! I know others said similar in the thread too. Less of a Halo Vs FPS in general I'd say this is more like GT Vs other shiny car games - some people will want every shiny car game, others will choose the one that looks the best. Even next to Motorstorm 1 I don't think Pure comes off favourably.

The UK first week market is currently mostly pre-orders and hardcore gamers picking the title up on the Friday. This is why GBA/DS/Wii games tend to sell almost as much in their 2nd chart week and look good in week 2 by comparison - again a generalisation but one that holds true for most casual titles.

My original post said:
nli10 said:
What competition on the X360 does it have? Motorstorm ate it's PS3 sales I'd say.

Looking at the first week splits I'd say that Pure sold less than a lot of split launch games have recently, but more than I'd expected a Disney Dirt Bike game to sell on hardcore consoles. The 65:35 (ish) split further down the chart just created a bigger gap than most people expected and you are right that any attempt to explain away that gap is pure speculation and not worth the time and effort.

Personally? I blame the school kids...

nli10

Spiegel said:
On the websites.
But I don't think that they are lying, If a game is out of stock they always point out that on the website.

WARIO in stock at GamePlay (GAME own this site) which suggests stores that ask for it are getting it.

There is a good chance a few regional shipments were diverted, but this week all Nintendo stuff was in plentiful supply here in the Midlands - even WiiFit (which is why it rose). Distributors aren't allowing you to go mad on the Fit & Kart orders, but they are sending enough out to put them on shelves. Most stores are now bundling them to keep the stock levels rolling though - and I don't think anyone is dumb enough to losslead on WiiFit atm. :lol

Spiegel said:
On the websites.

nli10 said:
WARIO in stock at GamePlay (GAME own this site) which suggests stores that ask for it are getting it.

There is a good chance a few regional shipments were diverted, but this week all Nintendo stuff was in plentiful supply here in the Midlands - even WiiFit (which is why it rose). Distributors aren't allowing you to go mad on the Fit & Kart orders, but they are sending enough out to put them on shelves. Most stores are now bundling them to keep the stock levels rolling though - and I don't think anyone is dumb enough to losslead on WiiFit atm. :lol

Thanks, guys. Looks like it is just a case of my area being last to receive stock then - odd, but not unprecedented.

Opiate

Nli, my point is that the vague explanations are meaningless, including the Motorstorm/Pure comparison. Consider if the opposite had happened, and Pure sold better on the PS3 -- many people would argue that PS3 owners, thanks to Motorstorm, are already big fans of the "dirt racing" genre, and therefore it sold better to that audience.

Sometimes other games in the genre seem to help (Halo, Wii Sports) while in other times it supposedly hurts (Motorstorm, most Nintendo franchises). There is no pattern -- people just try to come up with some reason for the disparity that is impossible to substantiate on a case by case basis.

There was a problem with the Wario stock in some countries. We're only getting it in tomorrow, gave me plenty of time to try out Samba though, which turned out to be a very good thing.

doicare

Jammy said:
Are kids off school again already? :lol

:lol O i love this, wii fit the game that most posters were championing as a game that was largely brought by adults due to it's high price and that fitness/health games appeal more to adults then kids (which i agreed with), gets a boost in sales due to it getting a large shipment of stock into the channel compared to previous weeks where it has been in low supply, and this some how means that kids were the main driving force behind the wii's sales this week :lol :lol pure genius, let me golf clap that one.

NZNova

I picked Wario up last week in NZ, and we're usually on the arse end of things when it comes to videogame release dates, especially Nintendo.

doicare said:
:lol O i love this, wii fit the game that most posters were championing as a game that was largely brought by adults due to it's high price and that fitness/health games appeal more to adults then kids (which i agreed with), gets a boost in sales due to it getting a large shipment of stock into the channel compared to previous weeks were it has been in low supply, and this some how means that kids were the main driving force behind the wii's sales this week :lol :lol pure genius, let me golf clap that one.
I think he was just mocking you.

Clearly the big discrepancy between the 360 and PS3 version of Pure has to be because of the Motorstorm effect.

What I find more interesting is the BIA gap, the percentage 65:35 seems to be getting bigger 360>Ps3, there was a time at the start of the year where the was much closer.

doicare

Copycat_Wannabe said:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you explain the Kario Kart sales?

Both wii fit and mario kart have been supply constrained in the uk for a very long time. Both games got a large shipment this week.

Nocebo said:
Top 10 is filled with Wii games, genius.

O god not this again. Nobody is saying the wii isn't doing very well now because it is, however during the summer holidays the wii was dominating even more than it is now.

doicare

mr_bishiuk said:
Clearly the big discrepancy between the 360 and PS3 version of Pure has to be because of the Motorstorm effect.

What I find more interesting is the BIA gap, the percentage 65:35 seems to be getting bigger 360>Ps3, there was a time at the start of the year where the was much closer.

It depends on the franchise. Next week fifa launches and i'd put good money on the ps3 and 360 versions being pretty evenly split between the two of them.

doicare said:
Both wii fit and mario kart have been supply constrained in the uk for a very long time. Both games got a large shipment this week.
I did not know that, how long have the games been supply constrained?
Wii Fit and Mario Kart are always in the top-10

doicare

Copycat_Wannabe said:
I did not know that, how long have the games been supply constrained?
Wii Fit and Mario Kart are always in the top-10

Ever since they've been released basically. Both games regularly fluctuate from being in to out of stock on all the biggest online retailers such as amazon, and the same holds true for retail shops.

Nocebo

doicare said:
O god not this again. Nobody is saying the wii isn't doing very well now because it is, however during the summer holidays the wii was dominating even more than it is now.
However, according to the weighted chart the wii is dominating more now than it was during most holiday periods. Also, why is every other console going down even though the summer holiday has ended which means teens are buying more games than kids because we all know teens only buy outside of the holidays.

doicare said:
So the reason the wii software sales went down wasn't because of the end of the summer holiday at all, but because mario kart was supply constrained.

And of course the new releases had nothing to do with wii software going down in the weighted chart either.

doicare

Nocebo said:
However, according to the weighted chart the wii is dominating more now than it was during most holiday periods. Also, why is every other console going down even though the summer holiday has ended which means teens are buying more games than kids because we all know teens only buy outside of the holidays.
Right now on the weighted chart the wii isn't as high as it was during the summer holidays and different times of year have different seasonal highs and lows so comparing it to earlier in the year is a waste of time. And where the heck did you pull this every other console is going down rubbish? Both the xbox360 and ps3 are higher on the weighted chart now then they were during the summer holidays so you just shot yourself in the foot with that statement.
Nocebo said:
So the reason the wii software sales went down wasn't because of the end of the summer holiday at all, but because mario kart was supply constrained.

And of course the new releases had nothing to do with wii software going down in the weighted chart either.
New releases happen all the time so that's nothing new and 1 game being low on stock doesn't equal all wii games.

Nocebo

doicare said:
Right now on the weighted chart the wii isn't as high as it was during the summer holidays and different times of year have different seasonal highs and lows so comparing it to earlier in the year is a waste of time. And where the heck did you pull this every other console is going down rubbish? Both the xbox360 and ps3 are higher on the weighted chart now then they were during the summer holidays so you just shot yourself in the foot with that statement.

New releases happen all the time so that's nothing new and 1 game being low on stock doesn't equal all wii games.
:lol So much wrong in this post. I'll address the most obvious ones and let you figure out the rest.
The new releases happened to coincide with the wii going down and the 360, pc and ps3 going up.
I wonder why Wii went down after the holiday. Because of new releases on other consoles or because kids weren't getting showered with gifts anymore? What a conundrum. Maybe you should think about how the weighted chart works.

doicare

Nocebo said:
:lol So much wrong in this post. I'll address the most obvious ones and let you figure out the rest.
The new releases happened to coincide with the wii going down and the 360, pc and ps3 going up.
I wonder why Wii went down after the holiday. Because of new releases on other consoles or because kids weren't getting showered with gifts anymore? What a conundrum. Maybe you should think about how the weighted chart works.

:lol If you'd bothered reading previous threads about this topic you'd already have your answer and there is nothing wrong with my post just yours unfortunatly. The weighted chart doesn't conclusivly show that the wii is selling less software, as i've said countless times without hard numbers all other evidence is inconclusive.

Weisheit

doicare said:
as i've said countless times without hard numbers all other evidence is inconclusive.
The evidence is plenty conclusive, you're just stating the obvious. Yes the Wii is more popular amongst kids....

And adults....

And women....

And men.....

And old people.....

And every other demographic in existence, everyone with a few working brain cells has this figured out, yet you think you've found something worth mentioning in every single pal thread, please get over yourself.

Vagabundo

doicare said:

Could it be that your theory is a waste of time as there are several factors that seem to have a much greater impact than the school holidays?

doicare

Weisheit said:
The evidence is plenty conclusive, you're just stating the obvious. Yes the Wii is more popular amongst kids....

And adults....

And women....

And men.....

And old people.....

And every other demographic in existence, everyone with a few working brain cells has this figured out, yet you think you've found something worth mentioning in every single pal thread, please get over yourself.
Well apart from the fact it's debatable if the wii is more popular with males aged 20-30, you've gone ahead and just proved my point. I've never said the wii isn't popular with other demographics, and you've just confirmed the wii is more popular amongst kids compared to the 360 and ps3 so it's only logical at times of the year when kids have more free time to play and buy games the wii will get the biggest boost.
Vagabundo said:
Could it be that your theory is a waste of time as there are several factors that seem to have a much greater impact than the school holidays?
There are definatly other factors but discounting the effect the school holidays have without any conclusive proof is foolish.

Psychotext said:
Do the PAL charts threads always need to turn into this? Really?
Yeah, it's killing my interest for sure. If everyone is tired by doicare then they should just put him on ignore and...ignore him like I decided to do.

Weisheit

doicare said:
you've gone ahead and just proved my point.
Again, you're stating the obvious, everyone knows the Wii is more popular amongst kids and every other demographic there is (yep, including adults). So that's your brilliant "point"? Stating the obvious over and over again?

doicare

Weisheit said:
Again, you're stating the obvious, everyone knows the Wii is more popular amongst kids and every other demographic there is (yep, including adults). So that's your brilliant "point"? Stating the obvious over and over again?

I agree it's stating the obvious, so when i said it once because it's just common sense, then the people who choose to argue with me that kids don't give the wii a bigger boost during the school holidays are the ones with the problem. And like i said it's debatable if the wii is more popular with males aged 20-30, unless you have some conclusive proof to post that says otherwise.

Psychotext said:
That's a little irrelevant with everyone quoting and arguing though! :lol
Yeah, that's why I advise everyone that is tired of him to put him on ignore instead of trying to argue with him - that way this "discussion" would end. I don't think it'll happen either - don't know why exactly though. Ah well, PAL threads had a good run :lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
mr_bishiuk said:

I think it depends on which game title it is. Looking at the 5 latest (i think it is the 5 latest atleast) multiplatform games that were release in the same week on both Xbox 360 and PS3, i can find this info:

- Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (65% on Xbox 360, 35% on PS3 = 30% in difference)

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (48% on Xbox 360, 30% on PS3 = 18% in difference)

- Mercenaries 2: World In Flames (60% on Xbox 360, 33% on PS3 = 27% in difference)

- Tiger Woods Pga Tour 09 (33% on XB360, 32% on PS3 = 1% in difference)

- Soulcalibur IV (56% on Xbox 360, 44% on PS3 = 12% in difference)

Going back to the begining of the year (from around week 10 to week 1), i can find this info:

- Army Of Two (66% on Xbox 360, 34% on PS3 = 32% in difference)

- Devil May Cry 4 (61% on Xbox 360, 39% on PS3 = 22% in difference)

- Burnout Paradise (53% on Xbox 360, 47% PS3 = 6% in difference)

Note that this is only the info i can find on these games. Like the Lost game was also released on Xbox 360 and PS3 (and PC), but i couldnt find any precentage sales info on that title. Also note that these precentage numbers only counts for the sales the first week when the games were released.

test_account said:
- Mercenaries 2: World In Flames (60% on Xbox 360, 33% on PS3 = 27% in difference)

- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (48% on Xbox 360, 30% on PS3 = 18% in difference)

Those don't work the same way because another platform is involved.

You can take everything else out of the equation though. Assume each game sold 100k across all platforms.

Mercs - 60,000 on 360. 33,000 on PS3 (65% / 35% - 30% difference).
Star Wars - 48,000 on 360. 30,000 on PS3 (62% / 38% - 24% difference).
Tiger Woods - 33,000 on 360. 32,000 on PS3 (51% / 49% - 2% difference).

Doesn't change much, but I'm a stats pedant. :lol

test_account said:
I think it depends on which game title it is. Looking at the 5 latest (i think it is the 5 latest atleast) multiplatform games that were release in the same week on both Xbox 360 and PS3, i can find this info:

- Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (65% on Xbox 360, 35% on PS3 = 30% in difference)

- Soulcalibur IV (56% on Xbox 360, 44% on PS3 = 12% in difference)

Going back to the begining of the year (from around week 10 to week 1), i can find this info:

- Army Of Two (66% on Xbox 360, 34% on PS3 = 32% in difference)

- Devil May Cry 4 (61% on Xbox 360, 39% on PS3 = 22% in difference)

- Burnout Paradise (53% on Xbox 360, 47% PS3 = 6% in difference)

Note that this is only the info i can find on these games. Like the Lost game was also released on Xbox 360 and PS3 (and PC), but i couldnt find any precentage sales info on that title. Also note that these precentage numbers only counts for the sales the first week when the games were released.

Yer your right it does seem it is on a game by game basis.

Point of order though if the 360 sells 66% and PS3 34% then in fact the 360 has sold 100% more units that the PS3 or double the amount, not 32% different, but yer I know what you meant.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
You forgot the handhelds too!

In the battle of the handhelds, the DS has also shot up in the UK from 3.8 million to 7.1 million units in the space of a year, while the PSP has registered a more modest growth in comparison, from 2.2 million to 2.9 million units.

Top Bottom