• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47, 2010

Jokeropia said:
From the other thread, no Kingdom Hearts has broken 100k in the UK.

Wow...is this true? Not even the super-hyped Kingdom Hearts 1? That explains Epic Mickey's sales then.

Sales probably wont see a big boost, but at least we can see why now.

KingDizzi

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
GT5's opening week sales in the UK is the most for any game in the series. In what way is that an indication that it's no longer a sales monster?

For one it's the first mainline GT game this gen so it should have had great anticipation but most importantly it released during the holiday season, something GT4 did not do yet only just beat it. Have to keep saying it because it's shocking that the advertising for this game in the UK has been terrible, was watching the Real Madrid vs Barcelona
fuck yh 0-5
match and did not see a GT5 advert so I have yet to see the advert here in the UK. Not what you would expect especially since UC2 which is from a smaller franchise was supported so much more, no way is that is for the advertising for this game. Adverts should go widespread for the game in the UK so legs should be good. Heavy Rain, GOW 3, even modnation got more adverts so the latest delay must have fucked everything up. If not then shocker, absolute shocker. Is there any link to the EU advert?

BTW not saying here that it would do Black Ops numbers had it been advertised however not beating FIFA on just the PS3? Someone gone fucked up something special

Anyway:

Sony Spain has announced that Gran Turismo 5 has sold 92,000 units in its first four days in the Spanish stores. The new driving simulator for PlayStation 3 has become one of the biggest releases of the year, meeting expectations, approaching 100,000 units from 24 to 27 November.

Sony has also said that more than 800 people came to a store in downtown Madrid to get your copy signed by Kazunori Yamauchi, the father of the GT series, hours before the official launch of the international game.

The company said that after this release so strong, their forecasts are able to sell 140,000 units in the first ten days, ie until the end of this week, and reach 275,000 units when finished the Christmas season.
Listen
Read phonetically

http://www.vandal.net/noticia/51725/gran-turismo-5-arrasa-en-espana/

Dunno, UK sales just seem weird. :/

Adamm

legend166 said:
You'd have to call the GT5 sales pretty disappointing also.
Aside from the fact that its the biggest first week for a GT game.
Has there been any advertising in the UK at all for this game?

Gram Negative Cocci said:
I'm actually glad to see Wii Party holding up in many countries. Hopefully they divorce mario from MarioKart next :p.
That ain't gonna happen, Mario Party done good but not MARIO KART good.

Hammer24

Banned
Repost for the new thread:

Wii´s exclusive software in its first four weeks (weeks 49-52 2006, number denotes chart spot, all format chart)
Twilight Princess - 5 - 12 - 11 - out
Wii Play - 9 - 30 - 36 - out
Red Steel - 19 - out - 34 - out
Raving Rabbids - 30 - out - 32 - 32

Kinect´s exclusive software in its first four weeks (weeks 45-48 2010, number denotes chart spot, all format chart)
Kinect Sports - 4 - 9 - 12 -
Dance Central - 13 - 25 - 30 -
Motion Sports - 15 - 33 - out -
Fighters Uncaged - 23 - 39 - out -
KINECTIMALS - 26 - out - out -
KINECT Joy Ride - 30 - out - out -
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved - 33 - out - out -
Sonic Free Riders - 38 - out - out -

Move´s exclusive software in its first four weeks (weeks 37-40 2010, number denotes chart spot, all format chart)
Sports Champion - 2 - 5 - 7 - 15
Start The Party! - 29 - 24 - 40 - out
Racket Sports - 32 - 22 - 39 - out

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KingDizzi said:
For one it's the first mainline GT game this gen so it should have had great anticipation

And it did.

KingDizzi said:
but most importantly it released during the holiday season, something GT4 did not do yet only just beat it.

I don't think GT games are particularly seasonal. People will come out and buy regardless of the time of year.

KingDizzi said:
BTW not saying here that it would do Black Ops numbers had it been advertised however not beating FIFA on just the PS3? Someone gone fucked up something special

We're going round in circles, but Fifa is a huge franchise now. HUGE.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
Just for illustration - Fifa10 sold 10M in Oct-Dec last year alone. And 11 is tracking significantly higher.

Ashes

Banned
gofreak said:
And it did.

Yeah. That's what happens when you decimate the chief competitor's popularity. Most of the football audience, which had been split for years, has migrated pretty much to Fifa. And they did it on merit too.

edit: I've seen newspaper adverts, but nothing compared to the prologue blitz.

Xater

Ashes1396 said:
Yeah. That's what happens when you decimate the chief competitor's popularity. Most of the football audience, which had been split for years, has migrated pretty much to Fifa. And they did it on merit too.

This is one of those rare cases where brand loyality did not matter and the much more improved product won.

nli10 said:
Just out of interest has anyone seen ads for Epic Mickey on TV?

I only get forced to watch the Disney Channel once a week but hadn't seen anything during Mickey's Clubhouse. I'd expect it to be targeted to the people who wear the Mickey smashing a guitar TopMan t-shirt.

None at all, either on the kids channels my step-daughter watches, or the mainstream channels (ITV/C4 etc.) the rest of the family watches.

dabra

fe01ti.png

Denmark:
Week 47, 2010 - Entertainment Software (All Prices)

01 (__) Gran Turismo 5 (Nordisk Film)
02 (01) Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
03 (03) Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
04 (05) Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft)
05 (02) Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
06 (04) Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)
07 (13) Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
08 (09) Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
09 (07) Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
10 (08) The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts)
11 (06) Football Manager 2011 (Pan Vision)
12 (10) New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
13 (15) The Sims 3: Late Night (Electronic Arts)
14 (11) New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
15 (19) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo)
16 (12) Just Dance (Ubisoft)
17 (17) Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Part 1 (Electronic Arts)
18 (16) Wii Party (Nintendo)
19 (14) Medal Of Honor (Electronic Arts)
20 (__) Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Warner Bros. Interactive)

2ziy2o3.png

Italy:
Week 46, 2010

01 (__) [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
02 (__) [360] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
03 (01) [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision)
04 (__) [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
05 (05) [PS2] Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (Konami)
06 (04) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
07 (02) [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision)
08 (__) [PS3] Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)
09 (06) [NDS] Art Academy (Nintendo)
10 (10) [WII] Wii Fit Plus + Balance Board (Nintendo)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
apana said:
GT5 will do great, I expect 12-15 million lifetime sales and it will sell steadily over the year. Also its a system seller so expect PS3 to have a strong 2011.

15mill is impossible. That will require more than a third of the install base. I'd say 8-10mil

jcm

bobbytkc said:
15mill is impossible. That will require more than a third of the install base. I'd say 8-10mil

The install base isn't static. It's growing by 15M per year, and GT5 isn't going to stop selling any time soon.

Kenka

jcm said:
The install base isn't static. It's growing by 15M per year, and GT5 isn't going to stop selling any time soon.

This is optimistic.

I agree that GT5 will have legs but you are not taking in account various factors such as crowd perception towards racing genre these days, changes in brand power, competition as we reach the holidays season or GT4 Prologue to GT4 sales ratio. I could go on.

It is virtually impossible to fix lower or upper bound to its sales with what we have in hands today. We don't even know how much it sold during its first week. And I am sure that Sony would have been loud on this if sales were anything significative for a game that has been hyped for so many years.

Adamm said:
Aside from the fact that its the biggest first week for a GT game.
Has there been any advertising in the UK at all for this game?

There was a fair bit in the Metro (free newspaper aimed at people who don't love cars)

Seeing as some people still feel the need to point out that random games have only been out for 2 days in the chart and shouldn't be judged, it's worth remembering that GT5's launch week accounts for 4 official days and a few unofficial ones before that. I don't know if previous GT's had that chart advantage, but the time of year should see good second week sales anyway.

manualmartin

Neo Member
Nordic Chart week 47
1. GRAN TURISMO 5
2. CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS
3. ASSASSINS CREED: BROTHERHOOD
4. FIFA 11
5. NEED FOR SPEED: HOT PURSUIT
6. THE SIMS 3
7. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS
8. WII FIT PLUS
9. THE SIMS 3: LATE NIGHT
10. MARIO KART
11. ASSASSINS CREED 2
12. JUST DANCE 2
13. FOOTBALL MANAGER 2011
14. KINECT ADVENTURES
15. NHL 11
16. KINECT SPORTS
17. HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 1
18. MEDAL OF HONOR
19. NEED FOR SPEED COLLECTOR'S SERIES
20. LEGO HARRY POTTER: YEARS 1-4

(fetched from: http://www.swedishgamesindustry.com/nordic-chart.aspx)

2up4lc5.png

Germany :
Week 47, 2010

01 (__) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (Sony)
02 (01) [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
03 (02) [PS3] Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)
04 (03) [PS3] Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
05 (__) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 CE (Sony)
06 (07) [NDS] Professor Layton And The Lost Future (Nintendo)
07 (__) [PS3] Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
08 (04) [360] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
09 (__) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
10 (06) [360] Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)

Xater

slaughterking said:
2up4lc5.png

Germany :
Week 47, 2010

01 (__) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (Sony)
02 (01) [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
03 (02) [PS3] Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)
04 (03) [PS3] Call Of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard)
05 (__) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 CE (Sony)
06 (07) [NDS] Professor Layton And The Lost Future (Nintendo)
07 (__) [PS3] Fifa 11 (Electronic Arts)
08 (04) [360] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft)
09 (__) [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo)
10 (06) [360] Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts)

Really glad to see GT5 doing so well. It's pretty impressive to see the CE and the normal version in the top 10 as well.

onken

Kittonwy said:
What would we call football if we call soccer football?
Indifferent2.gif

You could call it "the sport based on rugby except we gave it the wrong name for some reason"

Catchy.

Xater said:
Really glad to see GT5 doing so well. It's pretty impressive to see the CE and the normal version in the top 10 as well.
We Germans like our Ps3s, and Gran Turismo was always pretty big over here.

Kenka

Parmenides said:
Imagine what a €199 PS3 will do.

A 199€ PS3 will have to compete with a cheaper X360 plus some other plateforms.

I agree though that the PS3 has some aces up its sleeves in order to keep its momentum but without data on the competitors and their intentions, there is no way we can deduce anything.

Think about it that way : if Nintendo sells Wii at 99€, everybody who hasn't one, or who possesses a broken Wii, may be tempted to buy one because it has a nice library of games and appeal. Same for X360, same for PS3. And this, because it would be a cheap way to entertain oneself. So people will probably choose a console over other forms of entertainment.

But in this precise battle, who's gonna have the edge ? Will the sales of one contender be completely eaten by another one's ? We know jack shit. And all competitors have enough cash to take prices further down, or launch another cycle like Nintendo with the 3DS.

jcm

Kenka said:
This fiscal year we agree, not every single year.

PS3 is killing right now in Germany.

So you think this year is the PS3's peak? That doesn't seem likely.

Kenka

jcm said:
So you think this year is the PS3's peak? That doesn't seem likely.

Technically that's not what I meant. I meant that the PS3 doesn't sell 15M each year. It is true though that it will probably reach that amount this FY.

Ashes

Banned
onken said:
You could call it "the sport based on rugby except we gave it the wrong name for some reason"

Catchy.

Looks like someone here knows their sport history.
quick question: Why do you think American football is called American 'football'? is it cause I hear people calling rugby, football, as well?
http://www.rfu.com/
http://www.therfl.co.uk/

:lol

What did you think the 'f' in rfu and the 'f' in rfl stood for? or do you not watch rugby?
I don't like the use of 'soccer' myself but come on... :lol

dabra

2eygkn5.png

Sweden:
Week 47, 2010

01 (__) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5
02 (03) [PC] Call Of Duty: Black Ops
03 (04) [PS3] Call Of Duty: Black Ops
04 (05) [360] Call Of Duty: Black Ops
05 (01) [PS3] Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
06 (02) [360] Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
07 (__) [PC] Need for Speed Collector's Series
08 (08) [360] Kinect Adventures
09 (06) [PS3] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
10 (09) [360] Kinect Sports
11 (10) [PC] The Sims 3: Late Night
12 (07) [360] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
13 (11) [PS3] FIFA 11
14 (13) [WII] New Super Mario Bros Wii
15 (14) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.
16 (12) [360] FIFA 11
17 (15) [PC] The Sims 3
18 (__) [WII] Mario Kart Wii
19 (__) [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2
20 (19) [360] Dance Central

Elios83

Kenka said:
Technically that's not what I meant. I meant that the PS3 doesn't sell 15M each year. It is true though that it will probably reach that amount this FY.

It will do even better next year, the system won't peak until it's priced at 199$.

Xater

Tryckser said:
We Germans like our Ps3s, and Gran Turismo was always pretty big over here.

I know I am from Germany as well. ;)

And Sweden also fighting the good fight as it seems.

Top Bottom