• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47

test_account

XP-39C²
Count Dookkake said:
Wii Music survives another week.

Oh, the potential for crow and lulz has never been greater.
Maybe the potential, but i wonder if Wii Music can top the Uncharted for the PS3 situation :) Uncharted charted at 23th place in it's first week of sales, and people were saying bomba etc. (to be fair, maybe some people ment bomba for the first week's of sales though, and that i agree with, atleast if we just look at the chart position), but in Uncharted's 2nd week of sales, then Uncharted charted at 13th place. When people said something like "it has only been 2 days of sales" after the 1st week of sales, then quite a few people lol'ed and commented on this.

As i said in the previous PAL chart thread, going up in spots in i.e the UK Top 40 chart doesnt always mean greater sales though, and unfortunately Chart Track didnt comment on the Uncharted sales in the 2nd week (atleast not what i can see), so it is not 100% sure that the sales increased for Uncharted in the 2nd week, but going from 23th place to 13th place is a relatively big leap in my opinion, so i would assume that the sales for Uncharted did increase alittle atleast :)

Uncharted also stayed within in the UK Top 40 for several of weeks. One reason for this might have been due to the 40GB PS3 bundle that included Uncharted, but wasnt this bundle released a few weeks after when Uncharted was released? I think so atleast, so i dont think this bundle was the reason for the increase in Uncharted's 2nd week of sales.

I think Wii Music can stay within the UK Top 40 for several of weeks just like Uncharted did, and Wii Music might chart in higher positions in the upcomming weeks compared to how Uncharted charted, but with the "situation" i mean that people thought the game would preform worse than it ended up doing :)

Nolan.

Also forgot to mention this:

Tomb Raider: Underworld’ only outsells the launch of last year’s original Tomb Raider remake (Tomb Raider: Anniversary) by 6,700 units

Really didn't expect this tomb raider to do so bad, I really thought they had their stuff together this time.

Pretty bad that Tomb raider only sold 6700 units more than last year as this year it was on PS3 as well and both machines have higher install bases. Perhap instead of going up against the big guns they should delay games sometimes?!

Maybe the fact last years Tomb raider did not come out on PS3 helped it this year over the 360 version as well?!

spwolf

Frillen said:
Just like you love seeing 360 and Wii games falling on the charts?

It depends on wheater or not the PS3 takes off among the casual crowd. The PS3 fanbase right now is mostly shooting/racing/sports fans. They need to get casuals on board if they want LBP to sell more. But it seems like time is running out as it falls on all charts.

lol... i am pretty sure it is better off to start at #1 and 2# place in most PAL countries, then at 11th, and move up to 7th :lol. And Wii music is heavily advertised in UK, everywhere.

I just saw my first ad for LBP on german DSF... it just featured game+ps3+399.95 Euros. First PS3 anything I saw on DSF... Few days ago I saw MediaMarket PS3 ad on RTL as well.

spwolf

test_account said:
Uncharted also stayed within in the UK Top 40 for several of weeks. One reason for this might have been due to the 40GB PS3 bundle that included Uncharted, but wasnt this bundle released a few weeks after when Uncharted was released? I think so atleast, so i dont think this bundle was the reason for the increase in Uncharted's 2nd week of sales.

I think Wii Music can stay within the UK Top 40 for several of weeks just like Uncharted did, and Wii Music might chart in higher positions in the upcomming weeks compared to how Uncharted charted, but with the "situation" i mean that people thought the game would preform worse than it ended up doing :)

Wii Music is performing a lot less than expected, worldwide, not just UK, USA or Japan. It is just hat in Japan and USA we have real sales numbers, and not position number on the charts.

Nintendo expected this to be huge title for holidays, you have ads plastered everywhere on my german and UK channels.

Of course, unless we expected Wii Music to sell levels of Uncharted or less, then I guess it is fine. But people didnt. They can pretend now that they did.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Frillen said:
I see it as a bomb because it is the second most hyped up PS3 game this year, only behind MGS4, and people predicted it would sell several million copies.

And some predicted it would sell a couple of hundred thousand in its lifetime.

And it was absolutely rightfully hyped. It is the best game on PS3, I think. It fully acquitted itself on hype regarding its general awesomeness.

Weisheit

spwolf said:
Wii Music is performing a lot less than expected, worldwide, not just UK, USA or Japan. It is just hat in Japan and USA we have real sales numbers, and not position number on the charts.

Nintendo expected this to be huge title for holidays, you have ads plastered everywhere on my german and UK channels.

Of course, unless we expected Wii Music to sell levels of Uncharted or less, then I guess it is fine. But people didnt. They can pretend now that they did.
:lol Defensive much.

Why is it you feel the need to shit on Wii Music? Is it because LBP isn't showing legs? Do you blame Wii Music?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
dejan said:
Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Far Cry 2 and Motorstorm 2 already dropped out of the Top40?

Motorstorm 2 is the new pack in game for PS3 here in Italy, it ain't the same everywhere?

Also, I didn't honestly expect Cod:WAW to be such a failure Wii sales wise, that's really disappointing and I fear for Modern Warfare 2 now... are we ever going to get the RIGHT COD on Wii? :-/ (and yes, I have a X360 as well).

Yesterday I've seen a Shawn White ad on MTV, it was the Wii version... it's been a long time since a 3d party game tv ad for the Wii here in Italy.

CoLaN

I feel bad looking at the number 123123413 WWII shooter in the first spot, while LBP (that is a long legged game for sure, but...) is far behind.

Gamers, where is your soul?

farnham

Banned
spwolf said:

Nintendo did not expect Wii Music to sell much out of the gate

we saw a slew of interviews with several PR people and even Miyamoto

they all said that they expect it to sell slowly but steadily

onipex

Dash Kappei said:
Motorstorm 2 is the new pack in game for PS3 here in Italy, it ain't the same everywhere?

Also, I didn't honestly expect Cod:WAW to be such a failure Wii sales wise, that's really disappointing and I fear for Modern Warfare 2 now... are we ever going to get the RIGHT COD on Wii? :-/ (and yes, I have a X360 as well).

Yesterday I've seen a Shawn White ad on MTV, it was the Wii version... it's been a long time since a 3d party game tv ad for the Wii here in Italy.

I expected COD:WaW Wii to do worst than it is doing. One reason is because so many Nintendo games keep charting at high numbers. I think the game is will be a slow seller if it sells much at all. 200k ww maybe.

I also will don't expect COD6 to be on the Wii and wouldn't even if COD 5 sold very well.

markatisu

Not sure when we will see this refelected in the AUS charts but Wii Music is actually doing very well there

http://vooks.net/modules.php?module=article&id=13544

From the Nintendo Press Release

In more strong news for Nintendo, Wii Music was the number one selling console game on its launch week, selling through more than 28,000 copies. Similarly Wii Fit™ spent a period at the number one spot for 12 consecutive weeks following launch; and last week, week 46 2008, was the biggest selling week on record for Wii, with Wii selling through more than 35,000 units

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Isn't there some game-stopping glitch in the Wii version of Tomb Raider? Perhaps it's a good thing people bought the other versions over it then.

jett

D-Member
Accident said:
Bomba charts:

SONY PLAYSTATION 3 (FULL PRICE)
7 MOTORSTORM: PACIFIC RIFT

bubububu the original sold 3 million

As I figured, very few people liked the original.

test_account

XP-39C²
spwolf said:

Ye, it might be that Wii Music so far has preformed less than Nintendo hoped for, but i wonder how much Wii Music will sell in the upcomming weeks and months, especially now when christmas is comming :)

I didnt mean to compare Uncharted and Wii Music up to eachother when it comes to sales expectations (i am not sure how the sales expecations were around Uncharted compared to how the sales expectation are around Wii Music), i just compared those 2 games up to eachother because Uncharted started off relatively slow in sales, and it seems to be the same situation with Wii Music.

I think that Wii Music can end up selling better than how it looks right now, just like it was with Uncharted in the begining, when the sales for Uncharted were relatively slow/small, but so far Uncharted has sold over a million copies (i think so atleast?), which isnt really that bad in my opinion :) Maybe the simular situation can happend to Wii Music, that Wii Music sells less to begin with, but after several of weeks and/or months maybe Wii Music can sell better than things look out for Wii Music right now :)

spwolf

farnham said:
Nintendo did not expect Wii Music to sell much out of the gate

we saw a slew of interviews with several PR people and even Miyamoto

they all said that they expect it to sell slowly but steadily

i am pretty sure they said that after slow sales in japan, where it sold very small % of initial shipment - and initial shipment basically shows what they thought it will sell. Check japanese thread, of the guys did really good analysis of that.

p.s. just for the kicks... we have few actual numbers from Europe, but lets see the difference between 1/2 place and 10/11th place - 150k for October for PES, 14k for Wii Play on 10th place. Between 9th and 15th, only 5,000 copies difference. Between 2nd and 11th, 137,000 difference. In this case, Wii Play will have to continue selling for 10 months at the same numbers, just to reach first 10 days for PES PS3... and of course, PES will continue selling too.

Just saying that for where we have hard numbers, Wii Music so far did really bad, and thats not just one week (been a while for Japan)...

As to the "legs", games with big legs, such as football games in Europe, do 40% of their sales in the first week... other games do a lot more % wise. Again, numbers for PES that we have show that.

Of course, if Nintendo thought that their Wii Music, which is now advertised more in UK than 360 and PS3 combined (at least on Sky channels that I watch), would be one of the slowest selling Wii __ games then I guess its fine.

It is pretty much same situation RC had, except that it had much much lower install base, and it ended up selling well at the end, because of the long legs.

spwolf

test_account said:
Ye, it might be that Wii Music so far has preformed less than Nintendo hoped for, but i wonder how much Wii Music will sell in the upcomming weeks and months, especially now when christmas is comming :)

I didnt mean to compare Uncharted and Wii Music up to eachother when it comes to sales expectations (i am not sure how the sales expecations were around Uncharted compared to how the sales expectation are around Wii Music), i just compared those 2 games up to eachother because Uncharted started off relatively slow in sales, and it seems to be the same situation with Wii Music.

I think that Wii Music can end up selling better than how it looks right now, just like it was with Uncharted in the begining, when the sales for Uncharted were relatively slow/small, but so far Uncharted has sold over a million copies (i think so atleast?), which isnt really that bad in my opinion :) Maybe the simular situation can happend to Wii Music, that Wii Music sells less to begin with, but after several of weeks and/or months maybe Wii Music can sell better than things look out for Wii Music right now :)

Wii Music will certainly sell better than original first week numbers suggested, because it is Wii __ game on platform that sells awesomly well. People might just pick it up for fun of it when they buy Wii, or after seeing those commercials. But it will still not sell anywhere close to blockbusters like Wii Play, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, which continue to outsell it even if they were released long, long time ago. I mean lets be realistic - Wii Music from day 1 was 4th best selling Wii title.And it continues to do be so. So in that sense, it sounds pretty bad.

spwolf said:
I mean lets be realistic - Wii Music from day 1 was 4th best selling Wii title.And it continues to do be so. So in that sense, it sounds pretty bad.

lets be realistic ,wii play sales alone make almost every game sales look pretty bad

actually any games sales look bad compared to those 3 monsters

so your comparasion is absurd, again

dyls

spwolf said:

You mean the way that you're pretending that people didn't expect Uncharted to do better before it came out? A big-budget Indiana Jones-style blockbuster from the makers of Jak & Daxter—certainly no one thought that would do well.

Weisheit

spwolf said:
Wii Music will certainly sell better than original first week numbers suggested, because it is Wii __ game on platform that sells awesomly well. People might just pick it up for fun of it when they buy Wii, or after seeing those commercials. But it will still not sell anywhere close to blockbusters like Wii Play, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, which continue to outsell it even if they were released long, long time ago. I mean lets be realistic - Wii Music from day 1 was 4th best selling Wii title.And it continues to do be so. So in that sense, it sounds pretty bad.
It's completely unrealistic to expect every "Wii-x" to perform at those levels to begin with, those games you mentioned could well end up being the top three selling games this entire gen. They cant all do that.

Scrubking

SupahBlah said:
Its worth noting its in stock nowhere, the game isn't displayed on the "COD5" section of Game's website and when you do find it, its listed out of stock. The same is true on play.com too.

Thanks for the info. I wonder what happened?

Also, I didn't honestly expect Cod:WAW to be such a failure Wii sales wise

I don't think we know that yet.

iceatcs

Interesting that Tomb Raider sell more on PS3, maybe demo didn't give an enough satisfy for 360 users.

Or uncharted fans might like to have TR in their collection :p

FIGMA* Sales Awards
Gold (10,000+):
[PS2] Need For Speed: Undercover
[PS2] Singstar Abba
[PS2] NHL 09
[PC] Spore
http://www.figma.fi/Vanhat tiedotteet/tiedote25112008.htm
* Finnish Games and Multimedia Association

I hope FIGMA continues to publish weekly Sales Awards, very nice.

Hopefully we will get more "Sales Awards" for european countries to get a nice overview, that's all we have in the moment:

- United Kingdom (monthly) - ELSPA
- Spain (yearly) - ADESE
- Finland (yearly/weekly?) - FIGMA
- Germany (press releases) - BIU
- Italy (weekly software Top10 or Top15 with numbers) - GfK

The other video game associations should publish sales awards, too.

dabra

2ziy2o3.png

Italy
Week 46, 2008

01 (02) PS2 PES 2009
02 (__) PS3 Call Of Duty: World At War
03 (__) 360 Call Of Duty: World At War
04 (__) 360 Gears Of War 2
05 (01) PS3 PES 2009
06 (07) WII Wii Fit
07 (08) WII Mario Kart
08 (03) PS2 FIFA 09
09 (__) PSP PES 2009
10 (__) PS3 Little Big Planet
11 (10) WII Wii Play
12 (09) DS Brain Training
13 (05) 360 PES 2009
14 (__) PS2 Crash: Il Dominio Sui Mutanti
15 (__) PS3 Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm

2zidg7c.png

Spain
Week 46, 2008

01. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (PC)
02. Call of Duty: World at War (PS3)
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (PS2)
04. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
05. Wii Fit (Wii)
06. Wii Play (Wii)
07. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (PS3)
08. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
09. Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox 360)
10. Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (PC)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
FIGMA sounds like something Mega Man X would fight with a skin peeler.

Mario Kart, Wii Fit and Wii Play are like an almost unstoppable force everywhere in the world.

test_account

XP-39C²
spwolf said:
Ye, i think so to, that Wii Music wont end up selling as well as the other games in the "Wii" serie (Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit). I also think that Nintendo hoped for better Wii Music sales to begin with, but we'll see how Wii Music will preform in the upcomming weeks :)

nli10

test_account said:
Ye, i think so to, that Wii Music wont end up selling as well as the other games in the "Wii" serie (Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit). I also think that Nintendo hoped for better Wii Music sales to begin with, but we'll see how Wii Music will preform in the upcomming weeks :)

WiiPlay is well past 1 million now.

I expect WiiMusic to perform like other transitional titles (Link's Crossbow Training, and Big Brain Academy), and Animal Crossing to be the latest addition to the super stable of top selling casual oriented games (WiiPlay, Sports & Fit).

Of course, Mario Kart shows that to get a transitional game to sell to the casual market you just package it to appeal to the mass market (plastic toy effect in action) and go for it with the ads. WiiMusic will have been expected to sell better than it is, but I like many think that 300k in the UK is still probable.

Like LBP should have come with a little sack boy & adoption certificate in the box, WiiMusic should have had some kind of useless conductor baton. Both would be sailing towards 600k in the UK by now if they had, if not a million. Whether the respective companies see the loss of proffit per unit worth it is debatable though.

test_account

XP-39C²
nli10 said:
WiiPlay is well past 1 million now.

I expect WiiMusic to perform like other transitional titles (Link's Crossbow Training, and Big Brain Academy), and Animal Crossing to be the latest addition to the super stable of top selling casual oriented games (WiiPlay, Sports & Fit).

Of course, Mario Kart shows that to get a transitional game to sell to the casual market you just package it to appeal to the mass market (plastic toy effect in action) and go for it with the ads. WiiMusic will have been expected to sell better than it is, but I like many think that 300k in the UK is still probable.

Like LBP should have come with a little sack boy & adoption certificate in the box, WiiMusic should have had some kind of useless conductor baton. Both would be sailing towards 600k in the UK by now if they had, if not a million. Whether the respective companies see the loss of proffit per unit worth it is debatable though.
1 million for WiiPlay is amazing! I wonder how well it would have sold if it wasnt for the controller pack in. Maybe WiiPlay could still have sold around 1 million copies if the game was like £10 or so.

I'm curious to see the preformance of Animal Crossing for the Wii. Animal Crossing: Wild World for the DS did it pretty well (over 300k in the UK according to the ELSPA awards), but i cant see any awards for Animal Crossing for the N64 or the Gamecube. Of course, the Wii is more popular (atleast if you look at the sale numbers :)) than than the N64 and the Gamecube, but i'm still curious to see how Animal Crossing for the Wii will do :)

Ye, a pack in might have boosted the Wii Music sales, like a conductor baton as you mentioned, but i wonder if it might have anything to do with that it doesnt really "bring anything new" in the same sense/way that Wii Sports and Wii Fit did it, atleast that is a small feeling that i have. Wii Sports was a launch title and the the Wii had that new "wow, this control scheme is amazing!" feeling. Wii Fit seems to be a fun and appealing training accessory that can appeal to alot of people. Now that people are used to the Wii controll scheme, maybe that might be one of the factors due to the Wii Music sales?

I have also seen someone mentioned that Wii Music is more expencive than other Wii games, but maybe that was in USA and Japan? According to game.co.uk, the RRP for Wii Music is £34.99, which seems to be about the same as other Wii games (such as Mario Party 8 and WarioWare: Smooth Moves to mention 2 examples).

I like the idea that you mentioned with a sack boy & adoption certificate to be included with LBP. That sounds like an awesome idea i must say! :) I will most likely re-buy LBP if this sack boy & adoption certificate ever comes out :)

test_account said:
1 million for WiiPlay is amazing! I wonder how well it would have sold if it wasnt for the controller pack in. Maybe WiiPlay could still have sold around 1 million copies if the game was like £10 or so.

Will PAL land be getting the 360 'Play'?

It will be interesting to see how that game plus controller pack works out for them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Count Dookkake said:
Will PAL land be getting the 360 'Play'?

It will be interesting to see how that game plus controller pack works out for them.
What is "the 360 Play"? A Xbox 360 controller that includes a game?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nolan. said:
This is a pal charts thread though.

With no numberss. At least we do have numbers for Japan and NA. Wasnt on fire in those places last I checked. One country in one region...whoopdeedoo

dabra said:
2zidg7c.png

Spain
Week 46, 2008

01. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King (PC)
02. Call of Duty: World at War (PS3)
03. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (PS2)
04. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
05. Wii Fit (Wii)
06. Wii Play (Wii)
07. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (PS3)
08. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
09. Call of Duty: World at War (Xbox 360)
10. Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (PC)
No weeks 44 and 45 top10s? :/

Dunlop

I don't get the people who are happy if WiiMusic sells well on the sole basis that it was made by Nintendo, nobody ever praises (outside of SpOrk) it being anything resembling a good game.

If LBP does worse than WiiMusic, it will be the crime of this generation. I purchased a PS3 for this game, existing PS3 owners do you damn job and buy it!!!

:p

edit: me spel good

test_account

XP-39C²
Count Dookkake said:
I think they are bundling the failed Viva Pinata with a controller.
Ah ok, i didnt know that. Thanks for the info! :)

Is it the same price as a normal controller, or a few £ extra, like it is with WiiPlay (i think it is like that with WiiPlay atleast).

Dunlop said:
I don't get the people who are happy if WiiMusic sells well on the sole basis that it was made by Nintendo, nobody ever praises (outside of SpOrk) it being anything resembling a good game.

If LBP does worse than WiiMusic, it will be the crime of this generation. I purchased a PS3 for this game, existing PS3 owners do you damn job and buy it!!!

You expect praise for Wii Music on GAF?

You nut.

Nolan.

HK-47 said:
With no numberss. At least we do have numbers for Japan and NA. Wasnt on fire in those places last I checked. One country in one region...whoopdeedoo

I could turn that on it's head and say it's one game potentially proving a rare occurance... whoopdedootoutoo.

farnham

Banned
Dunlop said:

there are a many people on GAF that like WiiMusic go to the WiiMusic Official thread

Top Bottom