• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 50, 2013

Prine

Banned
Extremely healthy sales by Xbox One. If those top ten sales are due to bundling xbox one sold alot this week. To be anywhere in the top ten software table during this period is huge. Great bump for Dead Rising 3.

Japanese charts offer some surprises from time to time, they are more interesting.

Also Smoky complaining about thread trashing is quite ironic.
Disagree, i find it to be the most uninteresting table to review, but that's mostly due to me not being interested in handheld gaming and rpgs. In fact I'd rather UK gamers continue with their current gaming tastes then mimic the Japanese.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Disagree, i find it to be the most uninteresting table to review, but that's mostly due to me not being interested in handheld gaming and rpgs. In fact I'd rather UK gamers continue with their current gaming tastes then mimic the Japanese.

I didn't say that the UK gamers should mimic the Japanese ones. I just said that it is more interesting from the "sales age" type of discussion as it's sometime less predictable.

Azuardo

Extremely disappointed to see Bravely Default completely absent from the 3DS chart after only debuting at No.7 the week before.

Great game and deserves to be recognised. I honestly have to wonder if slapping the 'FF' name on there may have given it a little more hope.

UberTag

I never would have believed the whole "PS4's are out of stock everywhere, so some will pick up a Xbone instead" thing, but this chart makes me wonder.
Supply challenges are clearing impacting the UK as well.
In the meantime, let's enjoy another round in the ever-popular Call of Duty vs. FIFA battle.
It's like John Cena vs. Randy Orton... in video game form. How exciting!

Supply challenges are clearing impacting the UK as well.
In the meantime, let's enjoy another round in the ever-popular Call of Duty vs. FIFA battle.
It's like John Cena vs. Randy Orton... in video game form. How exciting!

Next gen battle is pretty exciting unlike this 2 most boring westlers

Pain

Banned
Looks like Xbox One may have outsold the PS4 this week. Big COD and FIFA boost.
Dead Rising 3 also had a big boost according to the Chart Track press release.

UNCMark

Banned
Good riddance, Knack. Nintendo's having another awful holiday season in the UK. Not sure what if anything they can do there. I doubt even having healthy third party support would help them there now.

m.i.s.

Banned
Seeing all those 3DS games that low is really depressing. It just hasn't really gained any traction over here. This is the time when every kid should be asking for these games for Christmas, but apparently not.

I'm not saying the thing is dead or anything... it's just very underwhelming.

The price of retail games in the UK doesn't help. Upwards of £30.00 for most 3DS titles. DKCR and New Leaf are on offer at Amazon at just under £25.00. Pricing on 3DS games is similar to the price of PSP games in it's prime. Just a bit too expensive for a handheld platform.

I meant moreso then Fifa and Cod.

I'm not sure I agree. All of the games can be considered hardcore favourites. AC isn't any more hardcore skewed than CoD.

It just so happens that CoD resonated more with the mainstream market than Assassins Creed and BF4, The numerous issues with BF3 and BF4 certainly don't help its image either...

Nintendo's having another awful holiday season in the UK. Not sure what if anything they can do there. I doubt even having healthy third party support would help them there now.

3rd party support would help them eventually, but it needs to be cultivated over the years and won't bear fruit for quite a while. Something needs to change in their approach towards 3rd parties. They're getting marginalized and their size of the industry pie is shrinking.

Extremely disappointed to see Bravely Default completely absent from the 3DS chart after only debuting at No.7 the week before.

Great game and deserves to be recognised. I honestly have to wonder if slapping the 'FF' name on there may have given it a little more hope.

The UK hardly cares about 3DS software in comparison to console titles let alone a new jrpg that hasn't been advertised exclusive to the 3DS. Its disappointing so few of the userbase did buy it though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The UK hardly cares about 3DS software in comparison to console titles let alone a new jrpg that hasn't been advertised exclusive to the 3DS. Its disappointing so few of the userbase did buy it though.

Nintendo software is too expensive in the UK. Bravely Default is £25 on the US Amazon site. It's £35 from GAME. Simply too high.

Fredrik

The rumors about a late 2014 launch of XB1 in some PAL countries really stings when lookng at these high positioned XB1 titles. Why give one country thousands of console and another in the same region zero? Voice recognition? Why not do it like Apple did with Siri, just enable english for now and have customers wait for an update if they want to use the native language?

The rumors about a late 2014 launch of XB1 in some PAL countries really stings when lookng at these high positioned XB1 titles. Why give one country thousands of console and another in the same region zero? Voice recognition? Why not do it like Apple did with Siri, just enable english for now and have customers wait for an update if they want to use the native language?

It's not even an English thing. The voice commands don't work in New Zealand.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

At least, it seems it's doing much better across the other main European countries. Just to say, UK should be about on par with Italy for amount of reviews of the game on eShop, which is something that shouldn't happen, given how UK market should be quite a lot bigger than Italy.

Jos33phus

Neo Member
glad to see The Last of Us community still going strong. Kudos to Naughty Dog for making sure multiplayer didn't suck

Diablos54

Nintendo software is too expensive in the UK. Bravely Default is £25 on the US Amazon site. It's £35 from GAME. Simply too high.
This. If the prices were £20 to £25, software would sell so much better. I walk into GAME and see £30 (Maybe for something like Bravely Default) to sometimes £40! (Haha fuck that!)
The 3DS as a whole has been too expensive, the hardware and the software, it's too late now, too far gone IMO. It'll still do respectably but it could do so much better...

Mpl90

Ok, here you have the updated amount (as of today) of reviews of Bravely Default in Germany, France, Italy and UK

Bravely Default
Germany - 149
France - 99
Italy - 67
UK - 60

Remember: eShop reviews are each for the specific country.

As you can see, UK is even behind Italy in this regard, which doesn't reflect European market realities at all. It seriously seems like the game could be doing much better in the rest of Europe than UK. Since there were 52 reviews in Spain + Portugal eShop as of December 12th, UK should be behind them as well.

Zachi

Banned

Niflheim

Neo Member
Ok, here you have the updated amount (as of today) of reviews of Bravely Default in Germany, France, Italy and UK

Bravely Default
Germany - 149
France - 99
Italy - 67
UK - 60

Remember: eShop reviews are each for the specific country.

As you can see, UK is even behind Italy in this regard, which doesn't reflect European market realities at all. It seriously seems like the game could be doing much better in the rest of Europe than UK. Since there were 52 reviews in Spain + Portugal eShop as of December 12th, UK should be behind them as well.

Here in France it's sold out in almost all stores (in Paris at least), even in Amazon (but it's hardly a surprise, JRPG sold well in general in the French market and the 3ds is on fire).

Here in France it's sold out in almost all stores (in Paris at least), even in Amazon (but it's hardly a surprise, JRPG sold well in general in the French market and the 3ds is on fire).

Well I'm glad it's doing well somewhere. France is like an extension of the Japanese market sometimes, lol.

Krisprolls

Banned
Well I'm glad it's doing well somewhere. France is like an extension of the Japanese market sometimes, lol.

I think it's mostly due to all those japanese cartoons we loved.

I remember when I was a kid in the eighties, nearly everything you saw as youth TV shows in France was japanese. Those cartoons were extremely successful here.

3D World position makes me sad - but Bravely Default's lack of charting is just depressing. I wonder if 3D World will move up the charts over the next few weeks..

As pointed out by Guymelef in last week's thread:

Those and XB1 having more available stock here probably explain why those two games charted higher on XB1, the other multiplatform games higher on PS4.

That's pretty bad for MS then. Getting beaten on multiplatform titles in the UK is a bad sign of things to come.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Same here in Germany, its been sold out on amazon for days now. Probably didnt anticipate the demand.

Mpl90

France has always been a great market for Japanese content. DQVIII debuted in first place back then. DQVIII, not IX.
About Bravely Default, tolkir in the eShop charts thread posted for Spain+Portugal, so I can update the prospect

Bravely Default
Germany - 149
France - 99
Spain + Portugal - 78
Italy - 67
UK - 60

...Yep, UK is the main European country with the least amount of reviews for the game.

France has always been a great market for Japanese content. DQVIII debuted in first place back then. DQVIII, not IX.
About Bravely Default, tolkir in the eShop charts thread posted for Spain+Portugal, so I can update the prospect

Bravely Default
Germany - 149
France - 99
Spain + Portugal - 78
Italy - 67
UK - 60

...Yep, UK is the main European country with the least amount of reviews for the game.
Pretty much all high profile JRPGs debut at number one in France. Recent example is Ni no Kuni. Other markets should follow France! I wonder if France alone is bigger market for JRPGs than whole NA.

Mpl90

PS4 has sold over 100.000 units (first two weeks) in France. With one more week of sales, Xbox One sold about 50.000 units.

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/ventes-ps4xbox-one-bon-depart-en-france-A126338.html

We have the following European sales data:

PlayStation 4:

UK - 250.000 (first week)
France - 100.000 (2 weeks)
Spain - 80.000 (2 weeks)

Xbox One:

UK - 150.000 (first week)
France - 50.000 (3 weeks)
Spain - 25.000 (3 weeks)

Wii U - 120k (first month)
Wii - 180k (first month)

It sounds like One will have a worst first month than Wii U in France, then.

Mpl90

Pretty much all high profile JRPGs debut at number one in France. Recent example is Ni no Kuni. Other markets should follow France!

IIRC, Ninokuni was first in UK as well at debut...and that shocked me back then :lol

SmokyDave

Bravely Default
Germany - 149
France - 99
Spain + Portugal - 78
Italy - 67
UK - 60

Meanwhile:

Tearaway - 5 stars - 2873 Ratings on the PSN store.

Step yo' game up Bravely Default.

IIRC, Ninokuni was first in UK as well at debut...and that shocked me back then :lol

Oh. I remember that it debuted high on UK chart but didn't remember that it was number one. It's kinda weird that so traditional JRPG as Ni no Kuni sells many times more in the west than in Japan lol

Any chance that next gen won't just be Call of Duty, Battlefield, FIFA, Just Dance, and some Lego game dominating the charts? I'm aware that high selling annual franchises are nothing new, but it's getting a bit boring and repetitive. At least let COD and Battlefield slowly be killed off by Titanfall and Destiny.

jvm

Gamasutra.
In case you missed the other thread: 2 million 3DS systems old in UK

Also, the UK market YTD is now behind by about £40mm (4.2%) relative to the same point last year, but December is £15mm (about 10%) ahead of last December. So it's a mixed bag.

No more revenue/units reports until 10 January in the new year. Happy holidays, guys.

Top Bottom