• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox on Obsidian's RPG: "everyone was hoping would do better"

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Well Pillars 2 ended up with more funds than the first game, so I dont really think we are talking about a general genre fatigue here.

PoE had more hype and publicity, and it was also first to market and a big game.

Tyranny and Tides of Numenara had much less publicity and even I would have to remind myself which was which and which ones were Obsidian's.

I've still not completed PoE (not even close!) and I expect a lot of people felt "okay, Tyrany/Tides sound good. Maybe I'll get it once I've completed this other classic isometric BG-esque RPG".

Tyranny just looked like a budget title in a lot of aspects, it probably sold as it did because of the Obsidian name. I think it looking like a PoE-lite didn't help matters.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's probably my biases speaking but I also think the isometric RPG throwback graphical style isn't nearly as charming as say, the 16 bit console RPG throwback style (see: Undertale, Cosmic Star Heroine, etc) which limits their appeal. Now I will admit to not having played any of the new throwback games mentioned in this thread, but I am hoping they at least made the interface a bit more intuitive than the old Infinity Engine games.

Harmen

This thread is the first time I hear about Tyranny. From the thread title, I thought it was about PoE and thought to myself "did it really do that bad?" .

Fishook

Timing is crucial for CRPg's as DOS had a June release with no other releases . Also it was the first of the renaissance of the genre.

Single player games have taken a huge hit the last few years and the genre struggle's to retain players after they have finished a playthrough. Paradox games are masters of retaining players years after releases.

I have backed all sequels as the games may have flaws they are a far better than the crap AAA games produce. DOS was a pure fluke which was helped by having co-op. Will be interesting to see how the sequel will do.

Both Torment and Tyranny were fairly short games which personally I didn't mind but length is a major factor for some people buying full price games. I struggle with mega long rpgs these days. Mass Effect Andromeda is dragging now after 50 plus hours

Well Pillars 2 ended up with more funds than the first game, so I dont really think we are talking about a general genre fatigue here.

Pillars was just a much much better game than Tyranny. People will fund/buy good things, mediocre things don't sell (at least in this space), because there's so much choice, and while genre diehards (like me) will buy it regardless, you need to get beyond those people for success.

I feel Divinity: Original Sin managed to do a notably more attractive modernization of the legacy CRPG style of game.

Were I Obsidian, I'd probably consider something more along those lines if I wanted to run two series of CRPG style RPGs.

Definitely, as much as I have a fondness for Infinity Engine cRPGs, I want some innovation. Not just new content mechanically designed to mimic something from the 1990s for nostalgia purposes. I figure it'd be more successful too because the amount of people nostalgic for those titles is dropping as people leave gaming behind. I bought Tyranny and I'll buy PoE2 but I want something new after that.

Top Bottom