• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Passengers intervene during racially-motivated attack by Trump Supporter in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indicate

I thought this story deserved its own thread. Selected quotes below.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/11/15/passengers-intervene-racially-motivated-ttc-attack/

Passengers on board a TTC streetcar intervened when a fellow passenger became subject to a tirade of racially-motivated attacks.

Liz Shane was one of several people on board a St. Clair streetcar, stopped at Glenholme Avenue, around 6 p.m. on Monday. Another passenger filmed part of the interaction as one man, wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt and a yellow construction helmet, started yelling at another passenger, a young Brown man.

“Welcome to Canada,” the man in the helmet said.

He accused the other man of hitting him and breaking his bag, incidents that didn’t happen, Shane said.

Shane said he also yelled, “Go back to where you came from!” and “You don’t even speak English.”

Griffiths, like Shane, also heard him yell racist things like, “you’re not from here.”

“At one point I called the [man in the construction helmet] an effing racist. And he said, ‘Yeah, so what? Go Trump.'”

Toronto police were eventually called. Police said Tuesday that neither party in the streetcar incident wanted to lay charges, so there’s no further investigation.

TTC spokesperson Brad Ross told CityNews that the TTC would be deferring to police.

“All I can say the TTC must be, and must always be, a safe space for everybody and there is zero room for harassment of this nature,” Ross said Tuesday.

After the confrontation, Shane said, another passenger on the streetcar had a dire warning.

The man said “that had this been in America, it could have ended much differently because a gun may have been pulled.”

Canada needs to fight off the rise of the alt right.

Edit: Important info that is from a different article

Savitar

Some things are already popping up in the west, happened even before the election happened, basically all the shit Trump said and his supporters backed has inspired many hateful people to start act out.

“At one point I called the [man in the construction helmet] an effing racist. And he said, ‘Yeah, so what? Go Trump.'”

If people accept that they are racist and okay with that, I'm not sure how to possibly change their mind. Feels like dark days ahead my friends.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I was having my hair cut yesterday, and the tool next to me was telling his stylist that he wished we could have a Trump here as well. They are here amongst us, we have to stay vigilant to ensure this way of thinking doesn't become normalised.

I think so long as the left vote isn't split, the left vastly outnumbers the right in this country. I also think that the majority of PC voters won't gravitate to this sort of rhetoric, even if Harper attempted to dance to that tune last fall.

Savitar

I was having my hair cut yesterday, and the tool next to me was telling his stylist that he wished we could have a Trump here as well. They are here amongst us, we have to stay vigilant to ensure this way of thinking doesn't become normalised.

I think so long as the left vote isn't split, the left vastly outnumbers the right in this country. I also think that the majority of PC voters won't gravitate to this sort of rhetoric, even if Harper attempted to dance to that tune last fall.

I blame Harper for a lot of the stuff. He empowered some to act like dicks, but now that those who are left behind see Trump, they feel more inspired and want to be like that.

Jesus, and I was just saying in another thread that a Trump protest was futile. I take it back.

Trump's election is a symptom of a global rise of right wing extremism, as made very clear by this instance it is not something just confined to the UK and US. Canada already went through it with Harper and they absolutely need to be vigilant because his supporters didn't go anywhere, and they are newly emboldened by Trump's victory.

Vinc

Yeah - please don't make the same mistake the UK and US did. It can happen to you too.

Completely anecdotal here, but people around me definitely seem much more interested in politics than usual. Heard quite a few people say they will get out and vote no matter what next election. I'm a bit encouraged by that, to be honest.

I've broken up two racially motivated screaming matches here in Vancouver in the past week. Everyone seems really tense and it's making me really sad :(

PSqueak

Banned
So wait, he gets racist with someone for looking foreigner in canada as in "you don't belong here" but then goes "go trump"?

I mean, you're railing on someone for not belonging, but you bring american politics to canada?

???

kswiston

Trump's election is a symptom of a global rise of right wing extremism, as made very clear by this instance it is not something just confined to the UK and US. Canada already went through it with Harper and they absolutely need to be vigilant because his supporters didn't go anywhere, and they are newly emboldened by Trump's victory.

At least they have to wait 4 years at the federal level. Hopefully Trump will prove himself a flop by the next Canadian election.

If people accept that they are racist and okay with that, I'm not sure how to possibly change their mind. Feels like dark days ahead my friends.

Well the offended party just needs to step out of their bubble to sit down and talk with them, empathise with what they're going through. It's not really racism, it's really about economic anxiety when you get down to it. When you have such anxieties you just say anything as a form of lashing out at the establishment.

NEO0MJ

Griffiths, like Shane, also heard him yell racist things like, “you’re not from here.”

Picture of the man with the helmet.

guts.jpg

Good that people intervened. I can't wait until we start seeing more groups of people call out and intervene against these racist cowards thinking they can hide behind their new President.

Well the offended party just needs to step out of their bubble to sit down and talk with them, empathise with what they're going through. It's not really racism, it's really about economic anxiety when you get down to it. When you have such anxieties you just say anything as a form of lashing out at the establishment.

Hindsight is 20/20 if we had done this instead of calling Trump's supporters racists, Clinton would of won.
/s

I saw some hick ass piece of shit white dude outside of a convenience store here in BC a little bit ago right after the election. He approached this brown kid sitting on his bike outside the store and he's like "Don't you got something better to do than sit here looking to cause trouble?" And the kid just looked at him like wtf he was just waiting for his friend in the store.

The guy goes in the store and then the kid and his friend left. Then the guy comes out and comes up to me and is like "where the fuck did them kids go now? Fucking trouble makers, all of them should be put in jail."

Im like "you seem to be the one causing trouble man. I live here and see those kids all the time and they never cause any trouble." Then he just gets all mad and gets in his truck and peels out.

In all my years living here I've never seen something like that. Dude was obviously racist as fuck and I refuse to believe that the election didnt have anything to do with it.

I saw some hick ass piece of shit white dude outside of a convenience store here in BC a little bit ago right after the election. He approached this brown kid sitting on his bike outside the store and he's like "Don't you got something better to do than sit here looking to cause trouble?" And the kid just looked at him like wtf he was just waiting for his friend in the store.

The guy goes in the store and then the kid and his friend left. Then the guy comes out and comes up to me and is like "where the fuck did them kids go now? Fucking trouble makers, all of them should be put in jail."

Im like "you seem to be the one causing trouble man. I live here and see those kids all the time and they never cause any trouble." Then he just gets all mad and gets in his truck and peels out.

In all my years living here I've never seen something like that. Dude was obviously racist as fuck and I refuse to believe that the election didnt have anything to do with it.

Where was this? If it was somewhere like Abbotsford I wouldn't be surprised, the Valley is where most of the racists and dumbfucks of the Lower Mainland hang out.

Im confused. What started the argument? Did that guy really just burst out against a minority solely for being a minority.... in Toronto of all places?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So who is going to be the Trump of Canada?

Justin Bieber.

Kevin O'Leary my guess, in the conservative party typical "hey I made money so I know exactly how to run a country" mentality.

Yeah, that's a solid answer. Based on personal experience, there are lots of rural racists up here to play to in the same way as well (although I'm not sure how prevalent it is). Bleh.

They're all coming out of the woodwork. I overheard my father yell at the TV the other night, "What the fuck's the matter with these blacks!?" We live in prairie-Canada, and he's met probably a handful of black people in his entire life. He has no reason to hold the racist beliefs he does. He's also extremely prejudiced towards First Nations, for no real reason at all.

It's legitimately scary, sad, and utterly disheartening.

They're all coming out of the woodwork. I overheard my father yell at the TV the other night, "What the fuck's the matter with these blacks!?" We live in prairie-Canada, and he's met probably a handful of black people in his entire life. He has no reason to hold the racist beliefs he does. He's also extremely prejudiced towards First Nations, for no real reason at all.

It's legitimately scary, sad, and utterly disheartening.

Especially in Prairie Canada, yeah that's where the far right can really succeed. It was where Harper built his base up, mostly from disillusioned oil workers in Alberta and Saskatchewan who were pissed off at being denied for so long, and still had an axe to grind over Pierre Truedau's energy policies in the 70's.

Flux

Trump empowered or enabled the racists to come out. Hopefully we learn that each vote matters come election time from the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom