• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamers Assemble, Let's Demand PC Ports From Sega!

RedSwirl

Something tells me from a technical standpoint Valkyria Chronicles would be the hardest one to port and would probably require the most involvement from its original developers.

Bayo and Vanquish have at least been on 360, and with Metal Gear rising, that engine has now been ported to PC. VC on the other hand has only been on PS3.

Clawww

Yes. The data and the outcome of the past conversions we've had, speaks clearly: it's pretty much foregone that these games would do positively if converted. And we all agree on that.

Problem is that big publishers aren't interested in "do positively", even when it's guaranteed; the "potential for a smash hit" is needed for them to bother. "Safe 5x return on investment" isn't interesting; "chance of a 50+x return" is what they covet.

Yeah, that sentiment is frustrating. They don't seem to want to establish a foothold or cast a wide-net, even though at worst they'll see a slow return on the investment. Even if they were to lose a bit, they gain experience with porting and publishing on PC, and whatever sales info they derive is also incredibly valuable of course.

Parsnip

There's no telling what kind of condition the sourcecode for any of these games are, unfortunately. Assuming it even still exist. Brings to mind the articles about Silent Hill HD collections, that were apparently made from incomplete source because the final code had been lost or something. Dog ate their sourcecode.

Maybe that's just Konami's incompetence, and shouldn't reflect badly on other Japanese companies, but maybe not.

Grief.exe

Something tells me from a technical standpoint Valkyria Chronicles would be the hardest one to port and would probably require the most involvement from its original developers.

Bayo and Vanquish have at least been on 360, and with Metal Gear rising, that engine has now been ported to PC. VC on the other hand has only been on PS3.

The PS3's architecture makes porting to and from the console such a mess.

The porting process from Platinum will probably be very streamlined after MGR. Cheap, high-profitability ports. Should be right in Sega's wheelhouse.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Like a glove. I remember reading something about that before or was it just people talking?

IIRC there were keyboard prompt files found in a disc rip but it was later determined to just be placeholder stuff provided by Gamebryo and not something they made as part of an initially intended PC release.

Still though, they should do it.

There's no telling what kind of condition the sourcecode for any of these games are, unfortunately. Assuming it even still exist. Brings to mind the articles about Silent Hill HD collections, that were apparently made from incomplete source because the final code had been lost or something. Dog ate their sourcecode.

Maybe that's just Konami's incompetence, and shouldn't reflect badly on other Japanese companies, but maybe not.

It's unlikely such recent games to have their source code lost (yet).

That goddamn PS3 and it's Cell. :(

Tain

If Bayonetta get a PC port and not a Wii U port, I won't be a happy bunny.

I hope this petitions fails.

what's the logic here?

I mean, at least most Bayo 1 Wii U advocates that I've seen say stuff like "I want it in 1080p" or "I want it preserved" when asked why they don't want to buy the Japanese Action Game Platform of the Generation™ to play the original release, but these are things that would obviously happen on PC.

I think to summarize, a lot of the big Japanese publishers don't bother with porting their own games to PC internally and just outsource a lot of them to western studios. Though some of the more independent Japanese developers have been warming up to the idea of releasing their games on PC. I am heavily looking forward to Ikaruga, personally. .

Sometimes I wonder if the issue is just that for some reason they don't port their own games.

We know that fighting games are on the rise on Steam and PC. For example MK9. Then Namco decides to port a Naruto game (A CC2 game) instead of their flagship fighting franchise. I don't know the intrincancies of that decision, but strikes me as bizarre to say at least, when CC2 is also a Japanese developer.

Same with Ace Combat, they decided to port the criticaly panned Assault Horizon but they skipped 6 (although an old game by now) and neither there's any trace of the new F2P game, when is not like F2P games on Steam aren't succesful (quite the contrary I'd say in some cases).

I feel like most Japanese companies are just afraid on what tittles to bring or just oblivious of the current PC market trends. They are all making fumbling steps instead of decesive and firm steps to get into the PC market.

And I think they're missing an apportunity. An opportunity that Sega should grab as well.

I still have a boxed copy of OutRun 2 Coast 2 Coast, and it has been one of my favorite arcade racers for years now.

Yep, I really like the game. Although I mostly use my PS3 these days Outrun on 360 is one of the reasons I miss not hooking up the system.

Mesoian

We know that fighting games are on the rise on Steam and PC. For example MK9. Then Namco decides to port a Naruto game (A CC2 game) instead of their flagship fighting franchise. I don't know the intrincancies of that decision, but strikes me as bizarre to say at least, when CC2 is also a Japanese developer.

Naruto Storm 3 will sell well on PC because it's one of the most beautiful licensed video games on the market and there's a massive fanbase for Naruto in the states and europe. But no one is going to it as a fighting game. No one.

Beyond that, you're right, but I think a lot of it figures in to japanese developers being inexperienced with PC ports. Just look at Dark Souls and Dead Premonitions. Both sold very well, but both of them needed to be fixed by civies post release in order to get them into decent shape. That sucks, but that's inexperience rearing it's ugly head. I've preordered it, but I'm SUPER worried about Metal Gear Rising's PC port right now.

Grief.exe

I feel like most Japanese companies are just afraid on what tittles to bring or just oblivious of the current PC market trends. They are all making fumbling steps instead of deceive and firm steps to get into the PC market.

Most Japanese Publishers are obvious to the market in general right now, they are all struggling in one way or another. There home market is trending to mobile games, but the rest of their demographic is trending towards PC and consoles.

They are all struggling to post a profit, except for Sega who has been thriving and growing by generating profits from the PC platform.

Naruto Storm 3 will sell well on PC because it's one of the most beautiful licensed video games on the market and there's a massive fanbase for Naruto in the states and europe. But no one is going to it as a fighting game. No one.

Well, I don't remember PC flourishing with succesful anime licensed games, but fighting games have been gaining some momentum in the past few years.

Not saying it dosn't make sense for Naruto to be on PC. But I'd say that VF or Tekken not being on PC make even less sense.

Mesoian

Well, I don't remember PC flourishing with succesful anime licensed games, but fighting games have been gaining some momentum in the past few years.

Not saying it dosn't make sense for Naruto to be on PC. But I'd say that VF or Tekken not being on PC make even less sense.

That was my round about way of saying that Naruto Storm is fucking terrible.

But you're right, more Fighting games need to find their way onto PC. I still want a PC version of Marvel even thought that game is, now officially, dead in Capcom's eyes. And the PC port of UltraSF4 being almost 3 months behind the console versions is pretty shitty, but at least there's no GFWL this time.

Most Japanese Publishers are obvious to the market in general right now, they are all struggling in one way or another. There home market is trending to mobile games, but the rest of their demographic is trending towards PC and consoles.

They are all struggling to post a profit, except for Sega who has been thriving and growing by generating profits from the PC platform.

But I think that at least they tried to get into the western gaming trends (badly in most cases). I don't think they are even trying on the PC market, in most cases.

Grief.exe

But I think that at least they tried to get into the western gaming trends (badly in most cases). I don't think they are even trying on the PC market, in most cases.

Capcom has been here in a while, though they have made some poor choices such as GFWL and skipping out on gold with Dragon's Dogma, RE4, etc.

Sega and Namco have come around in a huge way and quite quickly within the last year or so.

Square and Konami are coming around and starting to produce some real output on the PC.

Really going to be interesting to see what happens over 2014.

Grief.exe

Resident Evil 4 actually did come out on PC.

It didn't have support for mouse controls, though, only for keyboard.

I was referring to porting, and releasing on Steam, the HD edition or Wii version. Its ironic that I have to boot up Dolphin and the Wii version for the definitive version of RE4.

The original RE4 port should be forgotten entirely.

Capcom has been here in a while, though they have made some poor choices such as GFWL and skipping out on gold with Dragon's Dogma, RE4, etc.

Sega and Namco have come around in a huge way and quite quickly within the last year or so.

Square and Konami are coming around and starting to produce some real output on the PC.

Really going to be interesting to see what happens over 2014.

Yeah, I want to see how evolves the situation but I'm still quite pessimistic. Let's hope that, if Sega follows this petition and the success of MGR starts speeding things up.

Resident Evil 4 actually did come out on PC.

It didn't have support for mouse controls, though, only for keyboard.

It was allegedly a god-awful port.

Capcom re-releasing the game on console DD platforms and skipping PC was kinda bullshit...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'd kill for a good port of any of the OG Ridge Racer games... more specifically 6/7. I like Unbounded, but it's not Namco's RR.

mJGLW.gif

would be cool but it would probably go over like this

Sentenza

Really? Man, I could not agree less.
I'm a bit confused at this point... Are we actually talking about Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast or am I missing some other Outrun on PC?
Because I bought it for cheap, i installed it, I played a couple of hours and frankly at no point during my playthrough I was amazed with the game to any degree.
In fact, I could list half dozen racing games that I enjoyed more, and some of these i didn't even enjoyed too much either.

I guess I should try to give it a second chance...?
Or is this another case of "On GAF you'll always find someone who likes something, no matter how bad it is"?

Well, I don't remember PC flourishing with succesful anime licensed games
Well, I don't remember anime licensed games being on PC in the first place, actually, which confirms your point to some degree, but sounds a bit like mixing cause and effect.

Shaneus

mJGLW.gif

would be cool but it would probably go over like this
Sadly, probably would. But I need a 60fps twitch arcade racer on PC post-haste. Thinking about it, there really hasn't been anything solid like it since Blur (I'm thinking less kart and more pure "arcade", otherwise I'd have mentioned Transformed... another solid Sega PC release).

Grief.exe

Sadly, probably would. But I need a 60fps twitch arcade racer on PC post-haste. Thinking about it, there really hasn't been anything solid like it since Blur (I'm thinking less kart and more pure "arcade", otherwise I'd have mentioned Transformed... another solid Sega PC release).

Sounds fun to me.

Hypron

If Bayonetta get a PC port and not a Wii U port, I won't be a happy bunny.

I hope this petitions fails.

What is this shit.

A PC version is way more important than a Wii U version. It'll offer us a scalable version that'll be preserved way better than on a closed platform like the Wii U. That plus it'll look and run heaps better on PC than on the xbox 360, something which is really unlikely to happen if it were released on Wii U.

Zarx

On the topic of ports

for the other five games, you are talking about small budget, I'd say of less than a million euro to make some of the ports, I'd estimate. so together I don't think we have a huge investment on the Wii U"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40043576&postcount=1

Keep in mind that those were huge games like Assassin's Creed 3, and had extra work redoing the UI for the Pad etc. And done internally by Ubisoft which likes to throw as many people as possible at things. So that would probably be at the very high end of the scale.

I was referring to Square's Eastern output, their Western output and support of the platform has been phenomenal.

This goes without saying though, as Eidos has always had a strong legacy on PC and most of their current franchises originated on the PC platform. But yeah, Square-Enix`s Japanese output has been pretty non-existent. What do they have? The Last Remnant and Final Fantasy XI? Final Fantasy VII and VIII were cleaned up versions of old Eidos PC ports.

I'm a bit confused at this point... Are we actually talking about Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast or am I missing some other Outrun on PC?

Or is this another case of "On GAF you'll always find someone who likes something, no matter how bad it is"?

I was talking about C2C, personally. Maybe the game isn't for everyone, it does have an incredibly arcade-like highly controlled drifting mechanic that might be a turn off for some. But personally I spent a lot of time achieving the S ranks on the challenge levels It does have good easy to pick up and play, yet hard to master feel to it that I liked.

Also on the topic of missing Sega games. I swear that Sega Rally Revo used to be on Steam as well... I wonder why that was removed?

The original Sega Rally 95 and Sega Rally 2 were ported to PC as well, a long time ago. Though Sega Rally 95 was a straight port of the Saturn games in many ways and isn't capable of hardware acceleration, because it uses quads. Virtua Cop 1, Virtua Fighter Remix and VF2, Panzer Dragoon, were ported to PC as well, but have the same issues.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have to ask, but how is this thread even allowed? Isn't this pretty much the definition of port begging which people seemed to get modded on here a lot for.

Clawww

I have to ask, but how is this thread even allowed? Isn't this pretty much the definition of port begging which people seemed to get modded on here a lot for.

neogaf tip

you should read through a thread before asking an obvious question that has probably been asked if the thread is many pages long

Tain

Because I bought it for cheap, i installed it, I played a couple of hours and frankly at no point during my playthrough I was amazed with the game to any degree.
In fact, I could list half dozen racing games that I enjoyed more, and some of these i didn't even enjoyed too much either.

We're thinking of the same game. All forms of Outrun 2 are pretty widely loved, though, to the point where I think you're the first person I've seen online to dislike it. Most that I've seen talk about it like arcade racing games, though.

Grief.exe

Port begging is when you go onto general threads and derail them compleltey with pointless comments.

This is not port begging dedicated thread to PC ports.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Well, I don't remember anime licensed games being on PC in the first place, actually, which confirms your point to some degree, but sounds a bit like mixing cause and effect.

You are the odd man here. Outrun 2 is well loved.

Sentenza

We're thinking of the same game. All forms of Outrun 2 are pretty widely loved, though, to the point where I think you're the first person I've seen online to dislike it.
I wouldn't even say I"dislike" it, I was just completely unimpressed by it.
For a start, technically is modest to put it mildly, and if gameplay-wise had any feature that made it stand out I obviously failed to notice it, because it felt like a cheap "my first racing game" from some barely competent indie developer.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlPIvUr2Hk
That's the game we are talking about, right?

I'm pretty sure that even trying to act as backseat mod isn't exactly endorsed by the rules.

Shaneus

We're thinking of the same game. All forms of Outrun 2 are pretty widely loved, though, to the point where I think you're the first person I've seen online to dislike it. Most that I've seen talk about it like arcade racing games, though.
Side note: I'd actually rather see the original Outrun 2 get "ported" to PC. I much preferred it on the OG Xbox, possibly because C2C was reigned in a little so it could be ported to PS2, PSP etc. Pretty sure it looked quite a bit better on Xbox than C2C did, at least. Shame it doesn't run that hot on the 360s b/c :(

Top Bottom