• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Maniax User Poll Results for Favorite Characters, Personas, etc. [Spoilers]

dan2026

It's fucking weird that the (mostly) blank slate player character won the poll.

Aren't you basically voting for yourself at that point?

RalchAC

Joker has a quite defined personality TBH. Most of his interactions have a more flavored option, and the tone of those is quite consistent through the game. He is quite sassy.

OniBaka

Not really since the dialog you can pick are so badass. I mean come on "ryuji is a phantom thief" cracked me up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

P5MC has like the most personality of the MCs.

You judge it through the dialogue choices.

TrutaS

Poor morgana, is so cute and a good character, but because of the constant nagging for sleep it got everyone against him. Also it should have been a she, and there shouldn't have been any stupid "I'm in love with a girl but I'm a cat" storyline.

dan2026

Joker has a quite defined personality TBH. Most of his interactions have a more flavored option, and the tone of those is quite consistent through the game. He is quite sassy.
I guess.

But I feel that if they really wanted him to be more of an actual character and not just a proxy for the player, they would of given him a voice.

Can't feel sorry for someone who killed the parents of two of my party members.

The game did present it in such a way that the guy had issues. It was a clear example of someone using the metaverse the wrong way. It's a nice parallel to some of the shadey stuff even the Phantom Thieves were doing. I really appreciated how the game made that out to be a really grey area.

FluxWaveZ

I guess.

But I feel that if they really wanted him to be more of an actual character and not just a proxy for the player, they would of given him a voice.

Stuck between the desire to keep a tradition and the desire to flesh out the main character of the Persona games. Look at what they did to one of the best characters in the series, Maya Amano, when she became the protagonist in Eternal Punishment. It's like that.

In one of Atlus' surveys a while back, they asked customers about this explicitly. Whether they preferred mute, self-insert protagonists or protagonists with a voice and their own personality.

dan2026

Stuck between the desire to keep a tradition and the desire to flesh out the main character of the Persona games. Look at what they did to one of the best characters in the series, Maya Amano, when she became the protagonist in Eternal Punishment. It's like that.

In one of Atlus' surveys a while back, they asked customers about this explicitly. Whether they preferred mute, self-insert protagonists or protagonists with a voice and their own personality.
And what were the results of that poll?
I assume the self insert won.

It's pretty sad because I feel a voice and more personality could of made Joker a lot better.
It's hard to have sympathy with him when he just stands mute in the corner of every scene.

PK Gaming

giphy.gif

Everyone defending Ryuji in this thread (and those 64 votes) have got to be hipster contrarians, because I'm convinced no one can seriously like that piece of worthless garbage of a character. I'd pick no one twice before I picked Ryuji. I'd pay another $60 for DLC that removed him from the game, $120 if it allowed me to use his soul as Execution fodder as long it emphasized his eternal misery. Maybe then I'd be able to tolerate the start of my second playthrough past the point where he's not the only character around.

It's literally the polar opposite. The people dumping on Ryuji have done nothing but throw ridiculous hyperbole at his direction. And I'd be fine with it if Ryuji was just another run of the mill "bro" character, but he's not, and it's physically painful to see people throw him under the bus and also go "YAS QUEEN, MAKOTO!!!"

Ryuji can be a ridiculously insufferable character, but what I don't understand is how someone who engenders so much sympathy can be so hated. Like, did people just sleep through this scene.

He acts the way he does for a reason, given his upbringing (does the fact that his anger issues stem from his abusive dad fly over people's heads?) and he has an actual character arc in the main narrative, unlike most of the Phantom Thieves. Like what?

And even if you disregard all of that, he has that amazing moment at the end of Shido's dungeon where he essentially saves the day.

I just don't get it. Dude somehow gets more hate than Yosuke, and it completely baffles me.

FluxWaveZ

And what were the results of that poll?
I assume the self insert won.

It's pretty sad because I feel a voice and more personality could of made Joker a lot better.
It's hard to have sympathy with him when he just stands mute in the corner of every scene.

It wasn't a poll, it was an official survey released last year that they use for internal purposes. They never provide the results of these surveys.

Q19: When you play an RPG, please choose what applies concerning the hero you play as.

Each answer has 3 possible options: ”closer to A," ”none in particular," and ”closer to B."

A: I prefer it to be designed as the hero = myself. / B: I prefer that the hero has their own independent personality, and that they are not meant to represent me.
A: I do not want the hero to actively speak (other than nodding or grunting/yelling) / B: I want the hero to speak actively
A: I want to freely decide the hero character's background (upbringing, personality, occupation, etc.) / B: It is better for the hero character's background to be pre-set (upbringing, personality, occupation, etc.)
A: I want to customize the look of the hero character. / B: Preferably, the hero character has a pre-set, fixed appearance.

Obviously, they wouldn't be able to apply the results of this survey to Persona 5 as it was way too far in development. But the answers they get from things like this can help the team with questions they might have about their decisions, and what the players truly want.

Saikyo

Poor morgana, is so cute and a good character, but because of the constant nagging for sleep it got everyone against him. Also it should have been a she, and there shouldn't have been any stupid "I'm in love with a girl but I'm a cat" storyline.

Fine but now you have "I'm in love with the protag but I'm a cat"...

dan2026

It wasn't a poll, it was an official survey released last year that they use for internal purposes. They never provide the results of these surveys.
I see. Guess we don't know exactly then.

I am not a big fan of focus testing stuff like this anyway.
Ask fans what they want and you will get a lot of bias and conflicting data.
Creators should create the game they want without trying to pander to everyone.
You will never win that way.

Ultimadrago

I don't see how Morgana identifying as a she would have instantly improved the character. I'd still hate being told to go to bed and the Ann infatuation that goes nowhere would have still been an annoyance.

Still, I like the character anyways.

Reading up on Blazblue for the new crossover and finding out about Jubei really makes me wonder if the Phantom Thieves not being in that game was a missed chance or a dodged bullet.

It's literally the polar opposite. The people dumping on Ryuji have done nothing but throw ridiculous hyperbole at his direction. And I'd be fine with it if Ryuji was just another run of the mill "bro" character, but he's not, and it's physically painful to see people throw him under the bus and also go "YAS QUEEN, MAKOTO!!!"

Ryuji can be a ridiculously insufferable character, but what I don't understand is how someone who engenders so much sympathy can be so hated. Like, did people just sleep through this scene.

He acts the way he does for a reason, given his upbringing (does the fact that his anger issues stem from his abusive dad fly over people's heads?) and he has an actual character arc in the main narrative, unlike most of the Phantom Thieves. Like what?

And even if you disregard all of that, he has that amazing moment at the end of Shido's dungeon where he essentially saves the day.

I just don't get it. Dude somehow gets more hate than Yosuke, and it completely baffles me.

He really annoyed me for the way he acted through like 8/10 of the game. This constant shouting about being phantom thieves in public. He did get better but it was annoying.

And akeichi being popular, Ugh. Dude straight up murdered tons of people.

PK Gaming

He really annoyed me for the way he acted through like 8/10 of the game. This constant shouting about being phantom thieves in public. He did get better but it was annoying.

And akeichi being popular, Ugh. Dude straight up murdered tons of people.
Ehhhhhh that's fair, but I think him screaming about being a Phantom Thief is overblown, and the first time it happened actually led to a good scene:

To6FeMB.png

Can you even call him a blank slate? Can you even say that Joker is you? I mean:

He doesn't speak (much...) but he evokes a ton of personality through his actions and facial expressions.

I actually have my fair of issues with him (why'd they cut out so many of his lines), but he was very much his own character.

(insert Joker!Mouse gif)

Astral

I like Ohya...

BUT MAKOTO BABY! HAIL TO THE QUEEN!

Ryuji is where he belongs and I'm glad to see newspaper club girl getting recognition.

Sakura

Ryuji at the bottom is definitely due to the plot in the game more than his personality. I'm really surprised people really hate Ann. I mean... she can't be worse than Haru. Nobody can be worse than Haru.

I don't dislike Ann, but now that I think about it she was the only girl in the game I didn't date, so I guess there is something about her.

Aketchi at the top and Ryuiji at the bottom is everything that is wrong with the world.

Love LaLa, wish there was some love for Shiho.

I'm sure I don't need to say it, but I will anyway. Queen's No. 1.

EDIT: Akechi's a narc. Pure and simple. He's fun to hate, but he's not much more than an entitled jackass. But Japan also loves Adachi, who thrives on more or less the same entitled bullshit, so go figure.

JamminSalmon

Neo Member
Aww, Ryuji was my favorite! He could be super dumb, but it was part of his charm for me. The most attractive thing about him is his passion. He's loud, sure, but he care so much about what he believes in.

Besides that, he's so cute! Just look at him:
P5-Ryuji_11-02-16.jpg

Would pay for a gay DLC romance with him!

Raven117

I thought most of the characters were great in their own way.

Ryuji actually was a more layered character that most give him credit for. He was written more true to friend form than the others...as sometimes, you hated what he was doing...other times he was "best bro."

Haru was a complete miss. I think they cut some of her development out on the editing room floor when they realized their game was ballooning to well over 60 hours.

FluxWaveZ

Haru was a complete miss. I think they cut some of her development out on the editing room floor when they realized their game was ballooning to well over 60 hours.

It's a bummer, because Haru could have been pretty special. She's nothing like how she appears in the game's animated opening. A snarky, flippant character would have made for a much more memorable addition to the cast, and to the Persona series as a whole, which doesn't really have party members like that.

Haru needed to be introduced way earlier and it's bizarre because there were opportunities for this. Instead the game tried to make her out to be this mysterious character up until her introduction, which does her no favors. She should have played a larger role in the fireworks festival (where you first catch a glimpse of her) and the Hawaii trip. At least then she could have had more time to gel with the rest of the group, even if she still didn't join until September.

Raven117

It's a bummer, because Haru could have been pretty special. She's nothing like how she appears in the game's animated opening. A snarky, flippant character would have made for a much more memorable addition to the cast, and to the Persona series as a whole, which doesn't really have party members like that.

Agreed. (Though Ann is a little like that).

Would have been an interesting take if they double downed on her being a rich girl...It also doesn't help that her character model in dialoge is not nearly as interesting as the rest of the characters (IMO).

I really like Haru for the time she does have on screen along with her confidants. Hopfully in a possible revision she can get a but more play in the main story. Regardless of that she diffinately has my Favorite Phantom thief and Persona design.

Zukkoyaki

Potentially weird opinion: I liked all of the Phantom Thieves :S

This is the first Persona game where I genuinely liked the entire party.

FluxWaveZ

Agreed. (Though Ann is a little like that).

Ann is more like Yukari, in that she's a "normal high school girl," who takes the conflicts with appropriate amounts of seriousness and conviction. What I thought Haru would be from that opening and how she appeared in trailer PV04 (with her "beauty thief" intro and her AoA animation), would be as a character who literally laughs in the face of dire circumstances.

A quick witted character who'd make a snarky comment at inappropriate times, which juxtaposed to the expectation that she needs to be a "proper, rich girl" from her father, her environment, and the public. Which would be at the core of her spirit of rebellion, and how she really doesn't care about following in her father's legacy in the way they expect of her.

It doesn't sound like this was the plan for Haru in development from comments I've heard about in the art book, but it's what I would have preferred. It's not really been an explored archetype yet, and it would have been better than yet another subdued, kind female character.

Silvard

OQPD4Qe.gif

I don't really care if he has reasons or not. It's the entire theme of the game that all of the main characters have some trauma in their past, and his sure is shitty compared to most, but he made me not care. I got his confidant to rank 10 and couldn't care one bit (although he's somewhat tolerable in the later ranks, I'll admit). But throughout the main story he's an insufferable glory whore with no impulse control and no redeeming qualities at all who basically bullies a team member out of the team. Something he at least gets called out on (though with no real repercussions). And sure, he has that "moment of awesome" where he physically exerts himself and does something physically impressive, hardly a redemption.

The only moment he ever said anything agreeable (that wasn't expletives towards an antagonist) was when he admitted he had been a scumbag, though he still continued to be one. The only accomplishments he ever had as a character was fucking up so badly that he was directly/indirectly responsible for the induction of 2 (superior to him, obviously) members to the team. Mishima did more for the team.

He was such a piece of trash during the middle third of the game that I was actually surprised when he ended up not having a palace or being a memento target.

As Futaba so succinctly put it:

The Phantom Thieves deserved better.

Lunar15

Potentially weird opinion: I liked all of the Phantom Thieves :S

This is the first Persona game where I genuinely liked the entire party.

Like most of P5, I can't quite say the cast has the same highs as the previous two games, but it doesn't have many of the lows.

All of the phantom thieves were great, and I honestly felt the quality of the supporting cast outside of the thieves were fantastic too. In 4 I only really cared about Nanako and Dojima, but here I cared about way more of the confidants.

Also, Joker's probably my favorite character in the whole game, so I get it. He's a player avatar but he's also his own character. He's got enough characterization to fill in the gaps and his design is out of this world.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
For a short while during the game I thought that Ryuji might be the traitor, because Akechi was too obvious. I was getting some Junpei vibes off him in terms of jealousy towards Joker and his position as leader.

Just like Junpei, he's one of the best characters in the game.

TrueBlue

That opening never fails to amuse me when it comes to Haru. That nonchalant almost flirtatious look she has contrasts heavily with how she is in the game.

I disagree with your other point. Futaba is pretty snarky and flippant IIRC.

Ryuji doesn't bully anyone out of the team. Morgana is equally as savage in his remarks toward Ryuji but simply couldn't take what he was dishing out. If anything it's Morgana's fault because he couldn't communicate with the rest of the group and instead took his ball and went home.

That said, his half-assed apology was a pretty douche move.

Zukkoyaki

For a short while during the game I thought that Ryuji might be the traitor, because Akechi was too obvious. I was getting some Junpei vibes off him in terms of jealousy towards Joker and his position as leader.

Just like Junpei, he's one of the best characters in the game.

I never thought it was Ryuji, but I found myself thinking that Akechi was way too obvious as well. Honestly, for a brief moment I thought maaaybe Makoto said something to her sister out of guilt or something (which would have gutted me because she's best girl). I guess the real twist was that the team knew they couldn't trust him and planned accordingly.

I half expected her to be something of a spoiled brat character but with some likability. The early shots of her all-out attack gave off a prim and proper vibe sort of like a Jane Austen character. Would have been a first for the series.

Largely because Ryuji is a freaking idiot. Yeah its great he actually has a character arc (and your pictures pretty much cover the entire arc over the course of the whole game) but to myself and lot of other people it doesn't make up for the fact that he is so freaking stupid throughout most of the game. He's the reason you get caught by Makoto, hes a major reason the school trip is freaking awful, hes the reason Morgana runs off, ect. If he had not been one of the first party members you get there would be no way you'd want him to join the Phantom Thieves because he brings nothing to the table, hell he undermines what you try to do constantly.

It'd be one thing if his development was broadened and he actually learned from it but he still acts the very same from the start of the game to the end of the game despite his character arc, he doesn't grow hes still a loud mouth idiot like he always has been. It would've been interesting if because of him being an idiot if the group had turned on him and forced him out and he actually had to see some sort of actual punishment for his misdeeds but there is nothing remotely like that. It's part of the reason the group never really feels like they are together, Ryuji brings a lot of strife to the group with his actions but he never really gets punished for it like he should and to me it just felt like no one takes him seriously and that he isn't a worthwhile character.

It just felt like his character arc should have made a different to him and his personality, Ann has the exact same problem the difference is that Ann's entire character arc is in the first arc of the game and just doesn't develop after that. It makes her feel more like a background character then anything else but she isn't the cause of strife within the group, Ryuji does. If he wasn't apart of the group they would have been better off for it.

I don't like that outcome honestly but it just shows a real lack of character development for him. I would have loved to see Ryuji get kicked to the curb and then have to work his way back to the graces from the rest of the group and realize how much of a total asshat he is throughout most of the game and become a better person for it.

He might say hes going to be a changed person like it says in the screens you linked but you never actually SEE that happen and thats the problem it feels fake and underdeveloped (much like the entire game IMO).

Giga Man

Ryuji should of been replaced by Mishima tbh.

He would have been the most boring Phantom Thief ever. Mishima is best at the sidelines where he belongs, and that's a compliment.

Also, the protagonist being voted #1 is nothing new. You see it all the time in Japanese fan polls where the main character, be it avatar or not, is almost always the top choice. See the Fire Emblem polls where the Robins and Corrins (especially female) top the charts, or the various Tales polls.

Heh. Shiho is two times as popular as Ann.

I was really hoping Shiho was a confidant to be honest. I'm sure most people were.

Top Bottom