• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - New Info in Persona Magazine

I can't wait to play this game, then screw up the optimum progression with the games schedule meaning I never touch the game again for fear of wasting more in game time.

It's like P4G all over again. Didn't get the fishing rod soon enough, still 3 weeks behind with SL's.

I can't handle it guys. Yukiko and Rise are still waiting for me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I can't wait to play this game, then screw up the optimum progression with the games schedule meaning I never touch the game again for fear of wasting more in game time.

It's like P4G all over again. Didn't get the fishing rod soon enough, still 3 weeks behind with SL's.

I hope people only play like that on their 2nd playyhrough.

Zolo

1st playthrough for me.

I found it's better to try it on a second playthrough or just do a 1st playthrough how you want. You get a more unique playthrough compared to others, and it means you may actually hang out with someone after you completed their social link.

I found it's better to try it on a second playthrough or just do a 1st playthrough how you want. You get a more unique playthrough compared to others, and it means you may actually hang out with someone after you completed their social link.

I agree completely. But I knew there was an optimum way to play it. I didn't want to miss anyone or let them down.

There still in my Vita waiting for me. Death won't get maxed. Tower won't get maxed.

I know I can go through on my second playthrough with all maxed stats, but I just can't accept it.

I have a problem.

Don't know how I played P3 FES like a normal person.

In the Japanese version it was "Devil Busters Online," with references to Megami Tensei II.

Wow...I wonder what the percentage overlap between people who played P3 and MT II is. A few hundred people?

I can relate; I recently finished a replay of P3: FES (okay, it was my first play of FES, I originally played vanilla) and screwed myself over in social links. I thought I could easily get all of them maxed since I didn't need to worry about my stats, but then realized towards the end of my 200 hours that was impossible. Seems like you have to use a guide if you want a perfect playthrough. I can't imagine ever wanting to do that though; by the end I was not at all having fun in the dungeons.

_Ryo_

I've played Persona 3 multiple times (but never on new game+ ) and still haven't completely all the social links... I am gonna do it soon though!

Accept that Persona is anime and move on. Hair/eye colours are for style, not adherence to your perception of genetics.

I don't need to accept something so self-obvious, I'm telling you that, for a game with obviously anime aesthetics, it has always stayed surprisingly close to realistic hair, and particularly, eye colors for Japanese people. If you haven't realized by now that every single character in Persona has dark eyes except for foreigners and non-humans, I don't know what to tell you except perhaps play more Persona or watch more anime.

Also it's not "my perception of genetics", it's "how genetics actually work" :D Read it up.

Phu

Banned
Not really, there's bound to be thousands of people like that. If you're an American immigrating to Japan and marrying a Japanese person, that's almost guaranteed to be the racial makeup of all of your grandchildren. Of course, every single one of your descendants is going to have black hair and eyes because those genes are dominant and good luck finding a Japanese person two generations ago with those recessive genes too.

I don't need to accept something so self-obvious, I'm telling you that, for a game with obviously anime aesthetics, it has always stayed surprisingly close to realistic hair, and particularly, eye colors for Japanese people. If you haven't realized by now that every single character in Persona has dark eyes except for foreigners and non-humans, I don't know what to tell you except perhaps play more Persona or watch more anime.

Also it's not "my perception of genetics", it's "how genetics actually work" :D Read it up.

No, that's not how it works.

Of course, every single one of your descendants is going to have black hair and eyes because those genes are dominant

No, if a blonde-hair [bb] has kids with a black-hair [BB] you will get black-hair [Bb] children. The next generation can have kids with blonde-hair [bb] or black-hair with recessive [Bb] and wind up with blonde-hair children. And this is a over-simplification, because things like hair and eye-color aren't simple yes/no dominant/recessive situations and are determined by multiple genes. Because of this, it is actually possible for blue-eyes [recessive] to have kids with brown-eyes [dominant]. Also, black eyes aren't really a thing.

that every single character in Persona has dark eyes except for foreigners and non-humans
I don't even know what this part means, where do you draw the line for dark eyes? Chie? Yukari? They have lighter hazels/browns. P3 FeMC looks red. There's tons of eye colors in Persona, just very few blue.

good luck finding a Japanese person two generations ago with those recessive genes too

It doesn't have to be two generations ago. As long as something other than black-hair genes entered the equation at some point during the family's bloodline, it's possible that they will result in non-black hair. The chances of those genes surviving are increased when you consider multiple genes are in control of the colors. Recessive genes can float around dormant for many, many generations.

Also, Fuuka has freakin' green-teal hair so none of this matters.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
No need to read up on 6th grade biology to know Mendelian rules are an oversimplification. Cheers to Phu to putting in the work an irrelevant aside like this doesn't actually warrant (something they seem to agree with given the last line.) And yes, you will find the odd quote in the artbook by Soejima about some P4 characters dying their hair, but that's him paying lip service to misplaced obsession, not an actually important detail. Again, stylisation supersedes realism, especially in anime and JRPGs and your realism is off anyway.

Darksol

This is literally the only fucking game that matters to me this year. The second it releases in Japan, I'm playing it.

No, that's not how it works.

No, if a blonde-hair [bb] has kids with a black-hair [BB] you will get black-hair [Bb] children. The next generation can have kids with blonde-hair [bb] or black-hair with recessive [Bb] and wind up with blonde-hair children.

Of course, but you need the other parent to also be Bb, which is precisely what I was saying is statistically unlikely.

And this is a over-simplification, because things like hair and eye-color aren't simple yes/no dominant/recessive situations and are determined by multiple genes. Because of this, it is actually possible for blue-eyes [recessive] to have kids with brown-eyes [dominant].

Really interesting read, and I mean it seriously. Genetics are always fascinating and today I learned something new. This particular nuance is probably irrelevant to this case though, because Japan's population would most likely have universally functional HERC2 and OCA2 genes, which she would inherit from all but her American grandparent.

Also, black eyes aren't really a thing.

If I said that in any of my posts, I was obviously referring to brown eyes. The propensity to getting punched in the eye may or may not be genetic but it's obviously not what we're discussing. :D

I don't even know what this part means, where do you draw the line for dark eyes? Chie? Yukari? They have lighter hazels/browns. P3 FeMC looks red.

Sorry, my bad. In Spanish "ojos claros" (light eyes) uniquevocally means green or blue eyes (and sometimes grey), but I see now that there is no actual exact translation in English.. Basically eyes that are in the "cool color" spectrum. "Ojos oscuros" (dark eyes) means the opposite.

There's tons of eye colors in Persona, just very few blue.

Well that's precisely my point, isn't it. :)

It doesn't have to be two generations ago. As long as something other than black-hair genes entered the equation at some point during the family's bloodline, it's possible that they will result in non-black hair. The chances of those genes surviving are increased when you consider multiple genes are in control of the colors. Recessive genes can float around dormant for many, many generations.

It becomes exponentially unlikely as generations go back, particularly in a country like Japan. The chance of the (already unlikely) non-working OCA2 or HERC2 gene just happening to be the one passed on to descendants and matching up with the one from her grandparent is halved with each generation back.

Also, Fuuka has freakin' green-teal hair so none of this matters.

Not to mention the main characters of P3 and P4 have blue and blonde hair respectively, yes. I wanted to focus on eye colors because Persona is unusually realistic in their portrayal, more so than hair color. But yeah, you got me with P3 FeMC, I have no explanation for her red eyes. :D

an irrelevant aside like this doesn't actually warrant

And yet here you are replying to me for the third or fourth time about a tongue in cheek comment I made days ago. :) You do realize we would not be still having this conversation if you didn't keep replying, right?

I find that the solution to this may be... to play it on Day1. Just like the souls games - the community is still amassing knowledge, and while there *is* an optimal path, no one knows it yet, putting you at around equal to the curve.

Besides, max s-link guides don't show up until at least 3 months after release, so instead of waiting for it, you can be in the trenches 'gathering data' for the community.

... unless you're the type where you don't want to play these games as long as the ingame details haven't been charted and documented yet, there I can see the problem

I find that the solution to this may be... to play it on Day1. Just like the souls games - the community is still amassing knowledge, and while there *is* an optimal path, no one knows it yet, putting you at around equal to the curve.

Besides, max s-link guides don't show up until at least 3 months after release, so instead of waiting for it, you can be in the trenches 'gathering data' for the community.

... unless you're the type where you don't want to play these games as long as the ingame details haven't been charted and documented yet, there I can see the problem

It's the only way I'll be able to play honestly.

After that wonderful, ignorant 1st playthrough I'll go guide mode.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Sorry if this has been posted or discussed already but someone translated Hashino's interview and one quote especially has caught my eye.

As a team, we have been slaving away at making this game. Many were wondering if I would be able to release P5 this year. Well, what I can say now is that there will be an announcement for all of the fans soon that will put this all to rest and to please look forward to it. I feel it will make everyone happy."

https://www.facebook.com/TheMayonakaNetwork/posts/1021965291179311

"will make everyone happy"

d.... does that mean... *long pause* simultaneous release?

Sorry if this has been posted or discussed already but someone translated Hashino's interview and one quote especially has caught my eye.

As the translator of the comment, I'd have to say he just means Japan. The way he said things was very formal, which made it harder to do a literal translation, but he definitely didn't seem to word it as a worldwide thing, just that everyone (fans) will be happy in particular.

Here's hoping, though. We might get some JP info soon.

Sn4ke_911

As the translator of the comment, I'd have to say he just means Japan. The way he said things was very formal, which made it harder to do a literal translation, but he definitely didn't seem to word it as a worldwide thing, just that everyone (fans) will be happy in particular.

teddie__s_sad__gif__by_eevee76719-d53z1ut.gif

Ah too bad, still thanks for the great translation.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Atlus USA are fully in cahoots with Atlus Japan for this,and they know about their fanbase in the west, they are not going to be far behind each other this time IMO

Sn4ke_911

Atlus USA are fully in cahoots with Atlus Japan, they are not going to be far behind each other this time IMO

and now there is this guy who gets my hopes up again... why you do dis?

SoulUnison

Banned

With the delays I'd *hope* a simultaneous release would be in the cards, even if it wasn't the initial plan.

Unless they massively changed up the story late in development it'd be kind of a waste of resources to just have the localization team sitting on their hands waiting for some arbitrary start point.

Sn4ke_911

With the delays I'd *hope* a simultaneous release would be in the cards, even if it wasn't the initial plan.

Unless they massively changed up the story late in development it'd be kind of a waste of resources to just have the localization team sitting on their hands waiting for some arbitrary start point.

Yeah, lets not forget they originally wanted to release this game in 2014. That's crazy, surely just porting it to PS4 can't take that long, right?

Persona-5-carousel.png

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, lets not forget they originally wanted to release this game in 2014. That's crazy, surely just porting it to PS4 can't take that long, right?

Persona 5... has had a hard life. There was so much more going on behind the game's development than the PS4 port.

The End

Persona-5-carousel.png

the complete collapse of the ps3 software market everywhere outside japan means that they had to put a lot of extra effort into the ps4 version, for sure

SoulUnison

Banned
the complete collapse of the ps3 software market everywhere outside japan means that they had to put a lot of extra effort into the ps4 version, for sure

I hope the games are content equal and the only difference for the PS4 version is increased resolution and framerate.
The lack of any promotional material or interview hyping up PS4 exclusive features has me optimistic, and Atlus is just generally classy like that.

One of the big reasons I haven't jumped on a PS4 yet is *because* I've always known Persona 5 was a PS3 game, at heart.

I hope the games are content equal and the only difference for the PS4 version is increased resolution and framerate.
The lack of any promotional material or interview hyping up PS4 exclusive features has me optimistic, and Atlus is just generally classy like that.

One of the big reasons I haven't jumped on a PS4 yet is *because* I've always known Persona 5 was a PS3 game, at heart.

Yup. I doubt the PS4 will change the game in any dramatic way other than graphics and performance. Maybe the Share Feature will be used in a cool way, though I doubt it.

That being said, I can see them totally skipping the PS3 version in NA much like SO5.

SoulUnison

Banned
Yup. I doubt the PS4 will change the game in any dramatic way other than graphics and performance. Maybe the Share Feature will be used in a cool way, though I doubt it.

That being said, I can see them totally skipping the PS3 version in NA much like SO5.

I dunno. Persona 3 was awfully late in the PS2's life. I think they know how much of their fanbase they'd alienate.
I think Persona's been niche enough that localization is all or nothing, and it's so close to the edge of being recognized as a major series on both sides of the ocean that ATLUS wouldn't risk not reaching as many people as they possibly can with the effort they've put so much time into.

I dunno. Persona 3 was awfully late in the PS2's life. I think they know how much of their fanbase they'd alienate.
I think Persona's been niche enough that localization is all or nothing, and it's so close to the edge of being recognized as a major series on both sides of the ocean that ATLUS wouldn't risk not reaching as many people as they possibly can with the effort they've put so much time into.

P4 was 2 years after the PS3 launched.

I think people who are interested in P5 have probably moved on to the PS4 because of how prolonged the previous generation went on. Atlus is putting out Odin Sphere on the PS3 in NA so, I supposes a PS3 release of P5 is not without merit in NA. Then again, that was a PS2 game.

In reality, I can see them go either way.

pirata

This game has become so forgotten tbh. The delay really killed its momentum.

A people have said, it's because there hasn't been much new to talk about in a long time. Once substantial information gets out, you'll be seeing a lot more P5 talk. I feel like we're due for something big, maybe this month...but that's just my gut. I've been waiting for this game for seven years, so a few more weeks is nothing.

Atlus Japan in cahoots with Atlus USA?

USA branch can't even officially show a localised version of PV#03 showed at TGS last year.

Are things cooking in the background with shorter wait time between Japan and ROTW? Sure. But clearly Atlus USA can only move after Japan sneezes.

daftstar

New info/trailer when? SMT IV Final is already out and August is the latest month for it to be still "Summer" 2016. Atlus should be ramping up promos for this game by now
right?

artsi

New info/trailer when? SMT IV Final is already out and August is the latest month for it to be still "Summer" 2016. Atlus should be ramping up promos for this game by now
right?

I've been predicting that a release date + trailer + info this month.

Release in July.

(I'm talking about Japan, of course)

Top Bottom