• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - New Info in Persona Magazine

I feel like Social Links should tie into the main story better, but then that kinda ruins the "trying frantically to do all the social links" aspect. That aspect is really important, but if it stays that way then it's impossible for the character development in the social links to apply to the main story, which makes it feel a bit disconnected.

SoulUnison

Banned
Oh wow, I was literally on the verge of making a thread yesterday about "Hasn't it been awhile since any Persona 5 news?"

But then I made some soup, instead.

SoulUnison

Banned
Come to think of it, I really hope we get a "post-mortem" for this game.
Like...a huge "Cutting Room Floor" expose sometime after the full game is released.

Persona 3 and 4 had some really interesting beta/alpha designs and content that was cut during development and/or dummied out of the final products, and they weren't even particularly troubled or delayed developments, from what I can remember.

I bet Persona 5 will be an absolute treasure trove of changed, discarded and abandoned concepts .

The dungeon level design is vastly different from previous games. All of them incorporate different stories and can be thoroughly enjoyed.
Yeah, that does sound vastly different from the dungeons in the previous games. I was pleased to see they were putting in some extra effort into this field, as it was the one part of the series I consistently do not enjoy. Can't wait to play it.

sakuori

Nah it'll be cooking this time.

"Alright guys! It's time to bring that out!"

mY3dStJ.png

semiconscious

Gold Member
Then you're addressing something neither of us said. Follow the actual conversation. My reply was to the comment "Seems a bit on the short side," in relation to the time frame for Persona 5's marketing cycle. Stating that this is what Atlus normally does in terms of their active marketing pushes is valid, all the way up to their most recent release of Shin Megami Tensei IV Final, announced in October 2015 and released 4 months later.

Do you think that 6 months of active marketing for Persona 5 is on the short side? Because if not, your replies do not make any sense and they are not addressing what was actually being said.

okay, my apologies - i get where you're coming from. a brief marketing cycle would certainly not be out of the question...

it was just disturbing to hear those 'team hardin' lines reiterated verbatim :) ...

There is a lot that the Gematsu article omits.

One thing is that Hashino implied what Wada did: P5 first in the summer, then more to come as the 20th anniversary nears.

Hashino also stated that finetuning is pretty much complete and they were able to do so without compromising on anything they wanted to do, allowing for "gorgeous content" and great level design and dungeon play, according to his statement. He also states that the game is a Summer 2016 release and that they're getting things out of the way.

Also, when it comes to S. Links, Hashino stated that they are going a step above P3 and P4 in terms of human relations and that they have done a lot of research on how to improve the communication aspect of whatever new system they're using.

He also talks a bit about his career, but I can't translate that yet as every current pic I've found has been lo-res, but I'll get that translated once my copy arrives.

I'll make sure to verify this again once the magazine reaches my mailbox on the 26th, but for now, I'd just like to point this out.

Lusankya

There is a lot that the Gematsu article omits.

One thing is that Hashino implied what Wada did: P5 first in the summer, then more to come as the 20th anniversary nears.

Hashino also stated that finetuning is pretty much complete and they were able to do so without compromising on anything they wanted to do, allowing for "gorgeous content" and great level design and dungeon play, according to his statement. He also states that the game is a Summer 2016 release and that they're getting things out of the way.

Also, when it comes to S. Links, Hashino stated that they are going a step above P3 and P4 in terms of human relations and that ATLUS has done a lot of research on the topic in order to improve and refine whatever this new system is.

I'll make sure to verify this again once the magazine reaches my mailbox on the 26th, but for now, I'd just like to point this out.

Point 1 and 3 are mentioned like this in the Siliconera article.
They also somewhat mention your point 2, but apparently forgot the most important fact, namely that they finished the fine tuning and are totally on track for a summer release!

Thanks for the clarification!

Point 1 and 3 are mentioned like this in the Siliconera article.
They also somewhat mention your point 2, but apparently forgot the most important fact, namely that they finished the fine tuning and are totally on track for a summer release!

Thanks for the clarification!

All good! To go even further, Hashino states he sincerely feels satisfied about the quality, too. So, while he doesn't exactly say finished, he's pretty much implying so. He also mentions P5 as a 2016 release during one of the questions that he answers (lo-res scans, so can't translate it completely yet)

So, yeah, I'd say Summer 2016 is a definite.

artsi

Atlus USA better not promise any more estimates before there's a date, but if Hashino says it's ready to go I believe it.

giphy.gif

Lusankya

All good! To go even further, Hashino states he sincerely feels satisfied about the quality, too. So, while he doesn't exactly say finished, he's pretty much implying so. He also mentions P5 as a 2016 release during one of the questions that he answers (lo-res scans, so can't translate it completely yet)

So, yeah, I'd say Summer 2016 is a definite.

That's actually pretty reassuring. Hashino is not the guy to wave through a game he is not happy with and in the past he was always like "please give us more time to finish this product."

So him outright saying he is satisfied with the (nearly) finished product actually has some meaning.

Just in case, I want to mention that I stated Hashino implied P5 comes before the 20th anniversary things.

Here is the tidbit where Hashino affirms the 2016 release. It's a bit rough as I just translated it (as well as just woke up) but I can verify that the message is pretty much correct. It comes from one of the last questions asked during the interview.

Hashino: "With this year, we're releasing the next numbered Persona entry, Persona 5, as well as celebrating the 20th anniversary of the series. Lastly, we hope with this one year, fans will be able to enjoy a lot. I'd like to get that message out."

Then after that, he states what I said was implied, that P5 is first in the summer and then the 20th anniversary things right after. The finetuning answer was given in the first question, where Hashino mentions that there is a gorgeous amount of content, great level design and dungeon play.

I just want to put this out there. (Also, TBH, I think the game is an August 25, 2016 release)

That's actually pretty reassuring. Hashino is not the guy to wave through a game he is not happy with and in the past he was always like "please give us more time to finish this product."

So him outright saying he is satisfied with the (nearly) finished product actually has some meaning.

Yep! He sounds very happy about the quality of the game and the work done on it, at least according to his answer. That's definitely a good sign :)

artsi

If he said it's coming in summer then it pretty much already defines that it's before September. Their summer season is from May 7th until August 8th.

June or July (more likely) is my bet. Release date announcement in March and then drumming up hype until July would give it 4 months of marketing, as usual.
It's also pretty much the same timeline as with P3 / P4, if they want to follow tradition.

Persona 3
March 9th announcement -> release on July 13th

Persona 4
March 20th announcement -> release on July 10th

If he said it's coming in summer then it pretty much already defines that it's before September. Their summer season is from May 7th until August 8th.

June or July (more likely) is my bet. Release date announcement in March and then drumming up hype until July would give it 4 months of marketing, as usual.
It's also pretty much the same timeline as with P3 / P4, if they want to follow tradition.

Persona 3
March 9th announcement -> release on July 13th

Persona 4
March 20th announcement -> release on July 10th

While I agree with what you're saying, this doesn't always count for ATLUS releases. For example, they stated P4U2 PS3 was a "Summer 2014" release in Japan and it came out on August 28, 2014.

ATLUS seems to follow the Gregorian calendar version of each season, rather than the Japanese lunar calendar versions.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wanted to point out how ATLUS usually does their releases when they use windows. For example, Catherine was a "Winter 2010" game and came out on February 17, 2011 (which is still winter in the Gregorian calendar and is still the winter season that started in 2010)

artsi

While I agree with what you're saying, this doesn't count for ATLUS releases. For example, they stated P4U2 PS3 was a "Summer 2014" release in Japan and it came out on August 28, 2014.

ATLUS seems to follow the Gregorian calendar version of each seasons, rather than the Japanese lunar calendar versions.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just wanted to point out how ATLUS usually does their releases when they use windows. For example, Catherine was a "Winter 2010" game and came out on February 17, 2011 (which is still winter)

Hmm yeah that's also true, their TV summer season (anime, etc.) runs until September too so might be based on that if it's more familiar for the Japanese people.

Heartfyre

I know it's probably asking too much, but I do hope that the possible PS4 version of P3 is a truly definitive one. All the FES bonuses, FeMC option, ability to choose every party member's commands, and the fully explorable town and anime cutscenes. All the choices, all the content, all in one HD release. It'd just be superb to see that put together. As far as P4 is concerned, put Golden out in HD. It's perfect otherwise.

And the Shadow Operatives had better have at least some small reference in Persona 5. Keep that continuity going.

Logash

Please god no.
Agreed. I was thinking something a little more subtle like maybe nanako shows up as a high-school student for a second. Sort of like what they did in Persona 4. Persona stories need to continue to be self contained so I don't expect any cameos to be a major part of the story.

Eylos

Banned
Persona 4 has a lot of cameos of persona 3
Persona 3 have a small reference to persona 1 about the kirijo grouo that left nanjo group, and persona 2 in the mmo social link

i think it was a nice addition

koutoru

Persona 4 has a lot of cameos of persona 3
Persona 3 have a small reference to persona 1 about the kirijo grouo that left nanjo group, and persona 2 in the mmo social link

i think it was a nice addition

Persona 2 characters are also referenced in the who's who show in Persona 3.

I don't know if I would count the Persona 2 references in the mmo game since they only exist in the localized English version.

Indeed, but Ryujii is also just blond which wouldn't make sense as he's not even a quarter non-Japanese. The reason is probably anime, don't overthink it.

Not really, Persona games almost always have realistic hair/eye colors for their characters. Ryuji is probably just bleached, like Kanji was.

I do think Ann could end up being a pretty cool character, excited to try my first Persona game, I've heard nothing but good things.

If you have a PS2 or Vita, I can't recommend P3FES and P4G (respectively) enough. It would be a crime for you to miss on them, they're simply the best JRPGs of the last decade alongside the original Xenoblade.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I never understood/liked these comments because the Vita game would just be a downport.

Isn't the Vita roughly between the PS2 and PS3 in actual power? In reality there would be compromises for the console versions made in the design process if it came out at roughly the same time. Not to mention the app limit used to be (and may still be) 4 GB, and if it's not it's probably 8 GB. That would definitely hold back a JRPG like Tales of or Persona, so I'm glad we don't have to worry about that.

If you have a PS2 or Vita, I can't recommend P3FES and P4G (respectively) enough. It would be a crime for you to miss on them, they're simply the best JRPGs of the last decade alongside the original Xenoblade.

Sadly not, PS4 is my first Sony console since PS1.

Edit: I do love Xenoblade though.

yami4ct

Isn't the Vita roughly between the PS2 and PS3 in actual power? In reality there would be compromises for the console versions made in the design process if it came out at roughly the same time. Not to mention the app limit used to be (and may still be) 4 GB, and if it's not it's probably 8 GB. That would definitely hold back a JRPG like Tales of or Persona, so I'm glad we don't have to worry about that.

They'd likely have to make P3P style cuts to make it work. I love P3P and it's my preferred version of P3, but those changes were a real bummer. If people got the Vita version they seem to be clamoring for, I doubt they'd be happy with the results.

FluxWaveZ

They'd likely have to make P3P style cuts to make it work. I love P3P and it's my preferred version of P3, but those changes were a real bummer. If people got the Vita version they seem to be clamoring for, I doubt they'd be happy with the results.

Atlus themselves were unhappy about the concessions they had to make to bring Persona 3 to the PSP, so I don't know if P Studio creatively would even want to do that again.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, Persona games almost always have realistic hair/eye colors for their characters. Ryuji is probably just bleached, like Kanji was.
Accept that Persona is anime and move on. Hair/eye colours are for style, not adherence to your perception of genetics.

Zolo

Accept that Persona is anime and move on. Hair/eye colours are for style, not adherence to your perception of genetics.

Aside from Persona 3, the Persona series actually has adhered to that standard actually which is generally the case from the Megami Tensei series as well.

FluxWaveZ

If that was entirely the case, Soejima wouldn't be specifying that some of the cast dye their hair. "Anime" isn't a catch-all to mean things need to be poorly thought out or just created for superficial aesthetic reasons.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from Persona 3, the Persona series actually has adhered to that standard actually which is generally the case from the Megami Tensei series as well.
If we can have Fuuka, Naoto, and teenagers with grey hair a quarter American blonde is nothing to be obsessing over. It just seems like such a silly non-issue to bring genetics into this considering the extremely varied colours were basically explained away with dye.

Top Bottom