• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - New Info in Persona Magazine

System "similar to Social Links"?

No Social Links confirmed.

beSFiXF.png

Lime

Nah, P3P is better. The various gameplay changes & improvements make the game a lot more enjoyable and Female Protagonist (P3P exclusive content) beats The Answer (P3:FES exclusive content) soundly. The only definitive thing that P3:FES has is the best presentation.

Take P3P, bring back the P3:FES graphics & cutscenes, add some of the P4G changes (like the fusing improvements & post-battle card game) and stick it on the PS4 & Vita and we're gold. Maybe sell The Answer as DLC if anybody cares to play it.

This sounds really good to me. I much preferred P3P with some interesting dialogue choices.

artsi

Ugh, I'm getting that feeling again, the feeling of another delay incoming.

The last delay was so ridiculous that no way. They must have reserved enough time to guarantee 100% polish with that grand hit in the ballsack of every Persona fan on this planet.

If they delay thus damn game again!!

Meanwhile at square enix...

*cheers!!! Whohoooo

One executive wipes sweat
Another sighs a huge breath of relief

Persona fans cry

Blackleg suffers chronic persona withdrawal

StereoVsn

SO we aren't getting it this year either are we?

I'd be there for sure. For some reason I just love them too much.

Who is "we"? I am guessing Japan is going to get the game late Fall/early Winter but I don't think even US is going to get P5 this year. Europe will receive it in 2018 as PS5 launch title!

That said, I would be down for P3 Platinum with updated textures, cutscenes from FES and improvements from P3/P4G.

What we will get instead will be some stupid thing like anniversary concert and inappropriate Teddie groping most likely. Also I would expect Atlus USA to insist the game is coming this summer right up to the week before September 20th.

semiconscious

Gold Member
The last delay was so ridiculous that no way. They must have reserved enough time to guarantee 100% polish with that grand hit in the ballsack of every Persona fan on this planet.

oh, right. absolutely...

persona 5 = will believe when see :) ...

Lusankya

This. There is just no way they would delay it again. No. Fucking. Way.

Game will be released this summer.

StereoVsn

Sure it will and ATLUS will stay on target right before the last day of Summer before delaying :p. I am talking JPN btw, if you think it's getting released in the West this summer that's just precious.

I don't mind if they mix things up with Social Links, though I'd like if they are still presented as a long term investment that is rewarding to pursue both from a narrative and gameplay standpoint. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they changed things up slightly so you don't need a guide to complete every social link.

It's strange, though. I usually welcome some innovation but I think beyond making the actual dungeon system more interesting and the visuals more appealing, otherwise Id be happy if the core mechanics we know from P3 and 4 didn't change at all.

Lusankya

Sure it will and ATLUS will stay on target right before the last day of Summer before delaying :p. I am talking JPN btw, if you think it's getting released in the West this summer that's just precious.

Of course I am talking about the Japanese version.

Take P3P, bring back the P3:FES graphics & cutscenes, add some of the P4G changes (like the fusing improvements & post-battle card game) and stick it on the PS4 & Vita and we're gold. Maybe sell The Answer as DLC if anybody cares to play it.

I'd love all of this except for The Answer being DLC and I'm not sure if Shuffle Time needs to be changed (the P4G version is definitely better)

Boss Mog

It's crazy that you can preorder the FF7 remake that won't be out til late 2017, but you can't preorder P5 yet. I'm hoping it's because they're waiting to finalize an awesome collector's edition.

bigedole

I've never played P4G, couldn't bring myself to get a Vita. I would absolutely jump on a ps4 port/remaster. I've played through P3:FES and both routes of P3P and I'd probably still buy a remaster just to get the trophies :p

The thirst for this game is real.

StereoVsn

Of course I am talking about the Japanese version.
IMO, summer is unlikely. February is pretty much over so you have 6 months left for marketing push and release (if releasing at the summer tail end). Seems a bit on the short side.

If we don't see anything by end of March then you know it's getting delayed. One thing they might be doing also is trying to avoid launching alongside FFXV so could be waiting till March 31st and Square's launch details.

Mikey Jr.

Atlus is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Persona series this year, and since Atlus is thinking about if it can make an announcement that will please users, while first waiting for Persona 5, Hashino says to look forward to something in that vicinity.

PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster PS4 remaster

StereoVsn

I've never played P4G, couldn't bring myself to get a Vita. I would absolutely jump on a ps4 port/remaster. I've played through P3:FES and both routes of P3P and I'd probably still buy a remaster just to get the trophies :p

The thirst for this game is real.
Vita TV is like $20-30 and there are bunch of good games you could play on it. A 16gb card would be fine as well for targeted gaming. P4G is under $20 retail and P3P runs around $10 on sale.

FluxWaveZ

IMO, summer is unlikely. February is pretty much over so you have 6 months left for marketing push and release (if releasing at the summer tail end). Seems a bit on the short side.

This is exactly what they did with Persona 3 and Persona 4. Announced in March, released in July, both of them. Atlus traditionally had short announcement-to-release cycles until November 2013. Still, however, P4D's release date was announced in February 2015 for June 2015.

I would definitely like to have both parts of 2 available on the PS4 for the anniversary. I'm not interested in a remake or remaster; not that I wouldn't mind playing with current-gen graphics, but taking away valuable resources at P Studio to do this is not worth it. I'm fine playing the originals; I'd just like more ready access to them.

This whole idea that "Oh no! don't take valuable resources from P-Studios!" isn't the intent. If they were to remaster/remake P3, or remake P1 P2 IS and EP, they don't necessarily need to be done by P-studios. They can outsource these games while overlooking their development.

I mean they have spent forever making assets for P5 at this point, they might as well recycle them in P6 or go ahead and remake a Persona game.

If you can stomach the originals tediousness then just play it on a Vita or PSTV. Why bother putting out P1 P2 EP/IS on the PS4, when they are still barely putting PS2 games on the PS4.

FluxWaveZ

This whole idea that "Oh no! don't take valuable resources from P-Studios!" isn't the intent. If they were to remaster/remake P3, or remake P1 P2 IS and EP, they don't necessarily need to be done by P-studios.

Once precedence is established that they would be willing to outsource development on those projects, then it can be deemed flawed. Otherwise, the safe assumption is that they would be handled by P Studio, just like all the others.

Phu

Banned
分かりません。

The magazine makes it seem like a family lineage thing, like more "where you came from" than "what you're made of." I think the distinction leaves things vague enough where we couldn't say for certain what genes came from where. For example, I have Russian heritage, but that doesn't really say anything definite about my genes.

Even still, if that's not the case, if we don't assume Ann's other side of the family is 100% through-and-through Japanese, a recessive trait could have been dormant until Ann.

Two black-eyed people can have a blue-eyed kid if both parents carried the recessive blue gene. They can also have a black-eyed kid that carries the gene for blue, just like the parents. If that kid has a kid with another black-eyed, blue-carrying person, the same thing happens. You could have a black-eyed family that spans generations and then all of a sudden get a blue-eyed kid.

redhead2.gif

asagami_

Banned
I am happy if the Social Link (or whatever it will be the new name) system is revamped. To be fair, it was a revolutionary system back then, but I think that the formula needs to be improved.

Actually... I would don't mind if some things from others games appears here, for example, the Fate system from Devil Survivor 2 and the Support system from the most recent Fire Emblem games.

artsi

If we don't see anything by end of March then you know it's getting delayed. One thing they might be doing also is trying to avoid launching alongside FFXV so could be waiting till March 31st and Square's launch details.

They've always had a short marketing push with the Persona games. P3 and P4 weren't even announced 4 months before they were on sale in stores.

P5 has had years of hype building and trailers, which is already many, many times longer than that.

StereoVsn

This is exactly what they did with Persona 3 and Persona 4. Announced in March, released in July, both of them. Atlus traditionally had short announcement-to-release cycles until November 2013. Still, however, P4D's release date was announced in February 2015 for June 2015.
Sure, and that's what most people kept saying last year. I will believe it when I see it and we won't be seeing P5 in Japan till late in the year, IMO.

HMD

I seriously doubt they'd delay the game yet again, I have to wonder if they're delaying the game to scale it up? Are they anticipating unusual success for P5? Or is it just the usual JRPG game development process?

Once precedence is established that they would be willing to outsource development on those projects, then it can be deemed flawed. Otherwise, the safe assumption is that they would be handled by P Studio, just like all the others.

Regardless, it's a possibility. Outsourcing games is becoming a more common practice in the industry. P-studios can focus on their future games and potentially new IP, while revisits to older games would be handled by different studios under their supervision.

Will it happen? Who knows, it's just a potential way they can go about things.

artsi

I seriously doubt they'd delay the game yet again, I have to wonder if they're delaying the game to scale it up? Are they anticipating unusual success for P5? Or is it just the usual JRPG game development process?

IIRC they wanted to add more stuff to it, a new mainline Persona game is the only thing more awaited than the next coming of Jesus after all. So they want to make it count.

I mean, it already was at a point where they promised a 2014 release. And again in a point where they promised a 2015 release. It has to be more than bug squashing and polish to delay it another 6-9 months.

StereoVsn

IIRC they wanted to add more stuff to it, a new mainline Persona game is the only thing more awaited than the next coming of Jesus after all. So they want to make it count.

I mean, it already was at a point where they promised a 2014 release. And again in a point where they promised a 2015 release. It has to be more than bug squashing and polish to delay it another 6-9 months.
Alternatively they are having issues with game engine, direction and development. No, it's not the same engine as Catherine. We all know another company famous for RPGs which knows all too well the perils of custom game engines.

Edit: if you think about it during the whole last gen they produced exactly one HD game, being Catherine and that was Gamebryo. The said game is also a lot smaller in scope then Persona and SMT games. IMO, they are having significant development issues as that's the only thing that could explain 2 year delay in total (give or take a few months).

Squishy3

Yeah, a remake of 1 and 2 EP and IS would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully with less demon communication.

I'm more interested in experiencing their stories and characters honestly. So whatever gameplay changes that would help modernize and streamline it would be more than welcome.
Eh, I'd think just speeding up the battle system to be similar pace to P3/P4 would be enough.

It takes so long to get through a battle in P2. Even with animations turned off.

Eh, I'd think just speeding up the battle system to be similar pace to P3/P4 would be enough.

It takes so long to get through a battle in P2. Even with animations turned off.

Yup, pretty much why I find the gameplay in P1 P2EP/IS incredibly tedious.

So I agree, speeding it up won't be enough, I would be open to new game play that is streamlined but satisfying.

Astral

I can't wait to see how they improve the social links. That's honestly what I'm most excited for. Fuck your training Akihiko. I gotta help my boy Kenji get laid. Yukiko is in the TV world? Bruh I've got like two weeks before she dies. Let see what the fuck is up with Daisuke and his hate of women.

artsi

Alternatively they are having issues with game engine, direction and development. No, it's not the same engine as Catherine. We all know another company famous for RPGs which knows all too well the perils of custom game engines.

Edit: if you think about it during the whole last gen they produced exactly one HD game, being Catherine and that was Gamebryo. The said game is also a lot smaller in scope then Persona and SMT games. IMO, they are having significant development issues as that's the only thing that could explain 2 year delay in total (give or take a few months).

Yeah maybe, but only Atlus knows, they don't really open up anything that's happening over there.

semiconscious

Gold Member

& this's exactly what people were saying in august last year. smh :) ...

artsi

& this's exactly what people were saying in august last year. smh :) ...

How does that correlate, though? That it didn't happen last year doesn't mean it can't happen this year.

Persona 4 didn't release in 2007 but it released in 2008. I didn't win in the lottery last week, but I might this week. We just won't know when it releases until we do.

Gecoma

This game will come out this year. Anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves.

It's happening agaaaaaaain. Calling it now, Persona 5 will not release outside of Japan in 2016

Didn't Hashino say in an interview last year that, essentially, the game is pretty much feature/content complete, and they delayed for polish reasons?

I don't think we're getting another delay.

ar4757

Didn't Hashino say in an interview last year that, essentially, the game is pretty much feature/content complete, and they delayed for polish reasons?

yes, he did. I see no reason to doubt him. The fact that 2015 legitimately seemed planned for release means they probably are just polishing, adding in more details to the dungeons and maybe filling dialogue a bit more.

koutoru

Yeah, just the sheer amount of assets that they had to create for this game could easily cause delays.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kaneko himself had to step in to help, since this is the first time Atlus is rendering his demon designs in full HD in 3d.

Hopefully it will actually come out this year, for US. But probably not....

Come on Atlus, atleast let me preorder the collectors edition!

Top Bottom