• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

PK Gaming

He, the twins and Sojiro were the links where your goal wasn't to choose the option that led to fucking or flattering your way into help so I felt really comfortable just choosing whatever felt best and not how to get the most notes in the fastest time.

Eh, outside of Mishima and Shinya, flattery rarely works in this game.

It usually works with Yusuke and Ryuji, as well as almost all of the girls (except in the "snap some sense of of them!!!" mid rank conflict. Generally all you have to do is say "well could you have known things would turn out so badly?" "I don't even think you need my advice because you know what's right deep down" "wow, your goals for the future are so amazing and admirable" "Sure, I'll go into mementos and psychologically reconfigure the source of conflict in your life. Wait, that's not the only reason you're still hanging out with me, right?"

Futaba is 15-16 in the game, turning 16 before the end of the game (her birthday is between Feb 18th and March 20th) and MC is 16-17. Makoto is the oldest at 18 (they recently reveled her birthday, she turns 18 before her arc begins) and she would turn 19 soon after the end of the game, with her birthday being in late April.

Edit: I swear this post had context a few minutes ago but Sayad edited their post!

Shengar

Mishima is auto-ranked, in a way that you're guaranteed to up his rank regardless the dialog option you choose. Which mean you can be totally jerk to him and still have that sweet sweet Sandalphon.
It usually works with Yusuke and Ryuji, as well as almost all of the girls (except in the "snap some sense of of them!!!" mid rank conflict. Generally all you have to do is say "well could you have known things would turn out so badly?" "I don't even think you need my advice because you know what's right deep down" "wow, your goals for the future are so amazing and admirable" "Sure, I'll go into mementos and psychologically reconfigure the source of conflict in your life. Wait, that's not the only reason you're still hanging out with me, right?"

The dialogues have been written to not always like outright flattery like it was the case in Persona 4. Also there's an exception where Haru can take your sarcastic response and still nets you a positive points.

That just makes me ponder if Haru indeed is the best girl.

duckroll

I'm convinced Haru is the "anything" girl. No matter what I picked in her scenes, it seemed like I would always get like three 3-point responses from her each event. There was once she didn't react positively immediately, and I was surprised, then she thought about it a little, and somehow spun what I said into a positive and I got 3 points out of it anyway. Weeeeeeirdo.

Futaba is 15-16 in the game, turning 16 before the end of the game (her birthday is between Feb 18th and March 20th) and MC is 16-17. Makoto is the oldest at 18 (they recently reveled her birthday, she turns 18 before her arc begins) and she would turn 19 soon after the end of the game, with her birthday being in late April.

I was about to ask, don't we have confirmed ages for the playable cast? So all this "MC is legal by the end so Becky and the other adults are fair game" business people are trying to math their way into is straight debunked? Personally, I could only ever go for Chihaya out of the adults because she's like 19-20 based on her backstory. Becky would be great if she was a teen, personality wise she's pretty cool outside of acting like a dick at the start of the game.

Futaba is way more appropriate for MC (even with the "imouto" stuff thrown in there) because she's only a year off. She also makes it pretty damn clear in her Confidant she ain't about that lil' sis life and sees MC as husband material.

I was about to ask, don't we have confirmed ages for the playable cast? So all this "MC is legal by the end so Becky and the other adults are fair game" business people are trying to math their way into is straight debunked?

Yep, he's 17 at the end of the game, and 16 at the beginning; a minor throughout.

PK Gaming

It usually works with Yusuke and Ryuji, as well as almost all of the girls (except in the "snap some sense of of them!!!" mid rank conflict. Generally all you have to do is say "well could you have known things would turn out so badly?" "I don't even think you need my advice because you know what's right deep down" "wow, your goals for the future are so amazing and admirable" "Sure, I'll go into mementos and and psychologically reconfigure the source of conflict in your life. Wait, that's not the only reason you're still hanging out with me, right?"

For Ryuji, nearly early every option gives you points, regardless of whether you insult him (ex: "You weren't cool though") or flatter him (ex: "I was just standing there), and this is by design. He's supposed to be the starter Confidant after all. Haru is actually pretty similar but for different reasons (since you unlock her Confidant very late), and even then, you get the most points points for cheering her up (so the smartass options actually work). There's also a point in her Confidant where you can choose between feeding her some crock about trusting in her instincts, or trusting in someone else who's more experienced, and the latter gives you points.

It's not even close to true for Ann, who usually responds pretty well to friendly ribbing or outright praise towards her rival. Yusuke tends to responds to flattery pretty well, but you spend most of his Confidant giving him a kick in the ass, so it's pretty balanced. And Futaba, you get the most points when you don't let her off the hook when she tries to wuss out, but she's super down whenever you offer to help her go through things with her (because she's completely dependent on you). Hers is actually a pretty good example of how you need to approach Confidant's differently.

"wow, your goals for the future are so amazing and admirable"

This is funny because there's a dialogue prompt in Tora's Confidant that's literally this and you don't points. You do get points for telling him you specifically went to him for his speaking ability though. And that's honestly not even covering Confidants like Ohya, where it's pretty damn tricky to gauge what to say.

---

Honestly I don't see it. I think you're conflating honest to god encouragement with overt flattery. Also I reset a hell of a lot in P5 when it came to maximizing Confidants, a lot moreso than 4 and especially 3 (which were relatively simple.) Too many unclear answers.

Eylos

Banned
Three of my uncles with ~24 started dating my aunts with 15, they are married today have kids etc.

Age of consent is 14 over here, idk why people Freak out with age in persona 5, thats a 16/17 year old boy with a 24/25 year old woman.

Chill guys let people love.

MoonFrog

One thing I love about this game is how little flattery is important, yeah.

Again, Ryuji/Ann are great. They just roll with you trolling them all the time. I love making Ryuji get lost in his metaphors and call me stupid. A lot.

I love making Iwai laugh at me and think I'm a crazy gun fiend who is blind to how much danger he's got me in.

I like that Makoto isn't looking for me to condone her every activity and is indeed self-reflective on how nosy she is. Unlike the ones above, you don't get music notes here but don't think you do the other way either.

You can be indelicate too, like calling Hifumi's mom scary--after just seeing her for the first time-- instead of finding a nicer way to put it and get music notes.

Tae is sometimes irritated, sometimes charmed by praise.

Sojiro is usually just looking for competence/interest in his craft.

You get music notes for rejecting Kawakami.

Etc.

The support links are pretty good in this one. And with the demon talking too...the game is pretty fun to talk in.

I also feel that the text logs are more pointed. I've gotten people to disagree with me pointedly when I sped read through it and said something a bit dumb by auto-clicking through.

I'm convinced Haru is the "anything" girl. No matter what I picked in her scenes, it seemed like I would always get like three 3-point responses from her each event. There was once she didn't react positively immediately, and I was surprised, then she thought about it a little, and somehow spun what I said into a positive and I got 3 points out of it anyway. Weeeeeeirdo.

Yeah. I get she is late game but I just sort of sped through that link without ever having to figure out what she'd like and how to approach her. I mean, I don't tend to calculate much because I prefer to say what I want to say but usually I get a rapport I like with the character and it works. With her I just didn't think or get into it. IDK. Didn't work for me personally.

Also, did Makoto up to 9 again and I still think the link is alright. 4 and 7 iirc are the standouts when you actually get her to talk about her dad and her sister. But I think a) some of the host conversations are informative, fun, or interesting, b) some are not, and c) Makoto's reserved stance and refusal to cash out on the faux dating premise do make the s link less romantic and I can sort of get why people seeking affection from her were a bit burned. IDK. Personally, I think there are enough hints in the main game and while I think the support could use both more hints and more sister/father time...I think that it is an okay s link. Not great, but...not trash tier or anything like that.

Seen in the context of her repeatedly seeking particularly you out and seeing you as a catalyst for self-creation and for reconnecting with her sense of justice and becoming a just person, in both the main story and in the s link makes it obvious and believable enough when she gets awkwardly passionate and then self-controlled and very not lovey dovey when you are dating her.

But I get having the same reaction as the host :p. I just don't have it myself.

IDK she does also do things like commit you to being her boyfriend behind your back, just like she got your number out of Sojiro. That does seem a loss of control and she does seem very indirect about putting herself with you.

Jintor

Three of my uncles with ~24 started dating my aunts with 15, they are married today have kids etc.

Age of consent is 14 over here, idk why people Freak out with age in persona 5, thats a 16/17 year old boy with a 24/25 year old woman.

Chill guys let people love.

it's less about age gap and more about relationship power gap. (though that's what age gap is also in some ways)

MoonFrog

it's less about age gap and more about relationship power gap. (though that's what age gap is also in some ways)

Yeah age gap is just a rough sign of that. Not the problem itself at all.

Hence what I said about statutory rape on the last page or so.

I don't find that conversation interesting. Heck, Makoto or Haru could be your rapist by those standards.

I find conversations about the power dynamics interesting. And I do think they are something, of which to be aware, even if ultimately, it is a game and people are playing a largely self-insert character and pulled by competing fantasies, narratives, looks, etc. to choose certain girls.

But I don't think we should turn our brains completely off.

Jintor

the thing i like about kawakami is that (speaking as a former teacher) what she's doing is totally messed up but the game still totally makes you feel for her

RocknRola

Finished the game yesterday! :)

Had a lovely time with it, though I *feel* at this current point in time that P4G had a better story and cast. Though I only managed to get like 3 S.Links to their max level (out of the ones that don't auto-level up themselves), so a NG+ (which I'll start this weekend) will hopefully give me a better insight to the whole team + supporting characters.

My main issue with it is that with this first playthrough the cast never quite felt as much of a team or a group of close friends like it did in P4G. Though again, maybe maxing out my S.Links properly and exploring more of the world can change that, dunno.

As for the rest of the game, in short:

• Fights were more fun than ever
  • The Palaces are a masssssiiiive upgrade to the older dungeon systems
  • The style. Oh man, the style!
  • The music is still top notch!
  • The
    Igor twist (I knew the drastic voice change happened for a reason)
    was pretty cool!
  • Morgana is awesome :3

Spoiler just in case.

Gbraga

Still trapped between
Ann
Futaba
Kawakami
Makoto

Hmmmm...

Ann and Futaba will be your only real friends in the game, so keep them that way. It's Kawakami vs Makoto, and only one of them doesn't try to force their way into waifu status through the main story.

There's only one choice here. Only one path to true love, only one smile that you'll want to protect and will help you get up in the morning when you're tired from a busy week.

Choose Kawakami.

tumblr_oprc1v0izr1vpnsvpo3_540.jpg

Jonnax

It's interesting that in the UK, a teacher is considered to be in a position of trust.
Having a relationship with a pupil under the age of 18 is a criminal offence that has up to a 5 year jail sentence because it's seen as abusing their position.

In Japan there seems to be much more of a social acceptance of it in media i.e. dramas, manga, games etc.

In P5 Ann's supposed relationship with Kamoshida was well known in the school without consequence except in a "she gets special treatment" reaction from students.

Can anyone shine light on the perception in real life of student teacher relationships in Japan?

Dee Dee

I got to see some Mishima Confidants yesterday.

That kid is more wrong in the head than I thought.
Not sure I still sympathize.

After doing 4 Hifumi Confidants, I decided to go with Makoto as my Persona Waifu. Hifumi is cute, but there is just no connection to me with her struggle at the moment. Sorry.

I am about to start the 5th Palace, and keep kinda spoilering myself when looking at fan art. Why do I do this.
I hope to finish the game soon, so I can talk about Akechi here - it seems there's some more stuff coming concerning him (I mean... there has to).

Do people not talk a lot about Akechi to avoid spoilering?
I find his arc to be fascinating so far.

Zafir

After doing 4 Hifumi Confidants, I decided to go with Makoto as my Persona Waifu. Hifumi is cute, but there is just no connection to me with her struggle at the moment. Sorry.

I am about to start the 5th Palace, and keep kinda spoilering myself when looking at fan art. Why do I do this.
I hope to finish the game soon, so I can talk about Akechi here - it seems there's some more stuff coming concerning him (I mean... there has to).

People talk about him a lot on the spoiler thread for that reason yeah.

I wouldn't delve into there until you've finished the game though. :p

I think that might be the case. "I understand Akechi better" would have made more sense, though it'd still look a bit silly considering the circumstances.

Hum. I think the text might actually rely on your dialogue selection,
I selected the one about already rivals and got something like understand Akechi better.

-Horizon-

On the advice of some in the OT that I followed, you should at least finish up Hifumi's confidant. She unlocks some really good stuff.

And I haven't talked about akechi because I just didn't find him that appealing of a character. If there is a p5 crimson I hope they do offer an alternative path for him.

Cess007

Still trapped between
Ann
Futaba
Kawakami
Makoto

Hmmmm...

Dude, where's Tae in your list? :p

The only hard decision in this game is between Makoto and Tae. Ann is a good friend, Futaba is your lil sister and Kawakami maaaybe a distant 3rd option

On my first playthrough is t worth focusing on shinya? I rarely use guns...

Get the first couple of ranks at least. He gives you a couple of very good moves that helps you in battle.
He gives you an attack that work 100% on those Diamond Personas and they're useful for fusions and cash/XP

mrmickfran

All this age talk has made me realize, why don't the party members ever celebrate each other's birthdays?

It's more than likely that the game goes over each members birthday.

It's probably nitpicking, but I think it would be pretty nice if in the next Persona, the party goes on IM and tells another member happy birthday or something.

On my first playthrough is t worth focusing on shinya? I rarely use guns...
I rarely did either, but doing his confidant made me a gun enthusiast lol

Zafir

All this age talk has made me realize, why don't the party members ever celebrate each other's birthdays?

It's more than likely that the game goes over each members birthday.

It's probably nitpicking, but I think it would be pretty nice if in the next Persona, the party goes on IM and tells another member happy birthday or something.

I rarely did either, but doing his confidant made me a gun enthusiast lol
I always wonder that with every game, usually what makes me think about it is the game going past my birthday heh. We already know Makoto's birthday is before her arc but I'm sure not everyone's will be. Ann and Ryuji at the least should occur while you're friends with them.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
god, yes

it's one of the best confidants, ability wise, along with temperance, sun, star

oh really?! interesting. I guess ill focus on it.

I've maxed temperance, sun, and lovers so far and almost death.

I don't think I'm going to finish his confidant story but the skills I have gotten from him have brought more value to guns. Same with Iwai, really.

yeah these two seem to go hand in hand if you want ot go the gun route for a playthrough over melee

MoonFrog

Yeah the gun skills are useful. The special shot thing is very good for, say, taking down treasure demons. The enlarged pouch is very good for making that a more viable option.

Customization is also good. You can make guns that have lower ammo per turn potential for MC for example, making the above downing shot take up less ammo. You can make guns that shock or freeze or sleep. It is good stuff.

Mediking

So much Becky love... when Ms. Chouno is who I REALLY wanna date. Please waifu artists! Step up and make the dream come true!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mediking

Perhaps she's a maid too and her real problem is Becky stepping in on her turf...

Ms. Chuono is prolly one of the most sexiest women in the game yet she's nowhere near as popular as Becky or Makoto.

But I'm not that bitter though. Becky calls you "Master" and has adorable portraits. And Makoto... is well... lol she's Makoto. She has WAIFUUUU!!!!!!!!!!" written all over her.

ElFly

If Kawakami was Kawakami more often and Becky less often then I'd totally go with Kawakami.

Kawakami.

What, it's fun to say!

yeah

this is a problem in
Valentine's, cause she gives in to the Becky side a ton in that date

you were supposed to be over this, kawakami! what the hell

Top Bottom