• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Damn it BRS...

I had a moment of clarity this morning where I was 100% certain I'd go for Makoto due to her impact on the story, despite her lackluster Social Link; But every time I've seen Haru since then, that number slowly dwindled until i was back to square one once more.

Who are you romancing? Makoto?

Re: Hifumi - Yeah, I was caught off guard by how
she was actually bad in the end
, but it's nice to see a character
get back up and rededicate themselves
, too.

Astral

The
Hawaii
scene with Makoto was nice. Definitely the canon girlfriend. That trip also made me even more uninterested in Ann. I guess I just ship the hell out of her and Ryuji. He's a lucky guy having a girl with legs like that.The two would make fucking gorgeous babies.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like Haru the best. Sweet, soft-spoken, and nice. Not to mention she's loaded.

But I chose Ann as the main lover coz it seemed canon (then again, they're all my lovers).

LotusHD

Banned
I had a moment of clarity this morning where I was 100% certain I'd go for Makoto due to her impact on the story, despite her lackluster Social Link; But every time I've seen Haru since then, that number slowly dwindled until i was back to square one once more.

Who are you romancing? Makoto?

Re: Hifumi - Yeah, I was caught off guard by how
she was actually bad in the end
, but it's nice to see a character
get back up and rededicate themselves
, too.

Yea, Makoto. I don't care who you pick, I'm just like, pick someone already lol, the anticipation is killing me

-

I haven't remotely cared about Ann since like the 2nd palace. She's just... there.

If you use Makoto and lacklustre in the same sentence one more time... I swear...

sMIfdit.jpg
Big

Lackluster

Claaaaaaws

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If you use Makoto and lacklustre in the same sentence one more time... I swear...

Chihaya is lackluster compared to Makoto.

Having finished up to Palace 5, Ann's "awakening" scene is my favourite of the bunch so far. They're all hype of course, but Ann just edges it for me. Her beatdown of Kamoshida and his cognition of her was great.

Hell, her arc in the first palace was a big reason as to why I romanced her. It's a shame the story doesn't really follow it up in any significant way.

Yeah, Ann's got the most real with her cutting down the fake Ann, then chucking fireballs at that clown and putting the fear of God into him at the end of the Palace. People talk about Ryuji and Ann just "being there" but the thing to remember is that the game is like 100+ hours long and they're the first two characters you get. They have some good plot, it's just that theirs comes in the beginning. Yusuke doesn't get much later on either but it doesn't mean his development never happened.

Poor Haru is the only real candidate for just "being there" IMO. You get her so late that she feels like an afterthought, which is criminal because she's a really good character they just do nothing with.

The
Hawaii
scene with Makoto was nice. Definitely the canon girlfriend. That trip also made me even more uninterested in Ann. I guess I just ship the hell out of her and Ryuji. He's a lucky guy having a girl with legs like that.The two would make fucking gorgeous babies.

I love the Ann
Hawaii trip scene. It's sweet how she's legit thinking about a future with you already and the food truck part totally plays to her love of all things food.

I honestly hated Makoto on my first playthrough. She was antagonistic foil character at the start and was annoying as hell. Then she was more annoying with her "I'm a hardass who's gonna beat you up if you say anything I don't like" shtick once she got her Persona. She chills out later thankfully, but it was enough to never put her on my radar for romance like, ever.

duckroll

I honestly hated Makoto on my first playthrough. She was antagonistic foil character at the start and was annoying as hell. Then she was more annoying with her "I'm a hardass who's gonna beat you up if you say anything I don't like" shtick once she got her Persona. She chills out later thankfully, but it was enough to never put her on my radar for romance like, ever.

Don't talk to me anymore. :(

shes so great in the main story

That's her main selling point - it's hard to forget her trying to
spy on you from behind a manga everywhere you went
; or her being
scared inside the Sakura residence
and
jabbing Yusuke
afterwards; or her
hacking her sister's computer and keeping her busy
after getting Futaba later on in the story.

She has a ton of great moments.

Kireek

Would their ship name be Black Queen? God & Country?

I do a perfectly good job of making myself feel that way if I try cheating in the game, thankyouverymuch. I'm actually stressed over the idea of a NG+ because I feel weird about picking anyone but Makoto again. (Had the same problem in P4G.)

This is me 100%. I'm starting my NG+ and I wanted to romance Futaba to see her scenes but at the same time it feels weird cheating on Ann lol. It's the same reason I picked Chie 4 out of 5 of my P4 playthroughs

spy on you from behind a manga every where you went
; or her being
; or her
jabbing Yusuke
afterwards.

The
hiding badly behind a manga
made me laugh out loud when I saw it this playthrough. I noticed
her following me on the first playthrough but I didn't realize she full-on runs after you in her same book reading pose. I was dying laughing and ran around for a bit just to get her to run in circles.

OniBaka

; or her being
; or her
jabbing Yusuke
afterwards.

Sounds like you found your answer.

; or her being
and
jabbing Yusuke
afterwards; or her

That's true. Its surprising how many little great scenes she has in the game. I can understand some people's annoyance that her social link isn't the most romantic but doesn't change the fact she's one of the more quirky characters in the main game.

Haru and Futaba are the only party members with good S-Links. Ann's is good only when it's about Shiho... Shiho should have been an S-Link.

I liked Ryuji's S-Link and Ann's, although I wish the modeling stuff with Mika had been dropped in favor of more Shiho story. I really wanted MC and Ann to go visit her together, especially since Shiho had that nice scene with MC during the first Palace.

The player character - and some of the romancable characters - are second years, and only a year younger (17) than how old you need to be to buy the game in North America. (18) Then there are third years, who are of age, and adults.

It's more awkward when you throw characters like Tae Takemi (Late Twenties) and Futaba Sakura (15) into the mix.

This is triggering me hardcore. This isn't confirmed right? I mean Tae is my waifu so her age doesn't matter to me all that much. However I always felt she was within the 10 year range of the MC like all the adults. So maximum of 27 and minimum of 22ish

Veitsev

spy on you from behind a manga everywhere you went
; or her being
and
jabbing Yusuke
afterwards; or her

just give in already

Spuck-uk

Banned
This is triggering me hardcore. This isn't confirmed right? I mean Tae is my waifu so her age doesn't matter to me all that much. However I always felt she was within the 10 year range of the MC like all the adults. So maximum of 27 and minimum of 22ish

To be a qualified physician running her own practice, she'd have to be in her very late twenties to early thirties.

I can't help but want to romance everyone when the game pretty much slaps it in your face that the girl is attracted to you and your choice of relationship go-forward is to love em or turn em down.

RalchAC

She has studied medicine.
Worked at a uni I+D department
Was the head researcher of a drug that aimed to heal an incurable disease.
Was fired.
Started her own business.
She's been there long enough for rumors to spread.

She is 28 or older imo.

LiquidDeadlyCanine-size_restricted.gif

To be a qualified physician running her own practice, she'd have to be in her very late twenties to early thirties.

She has studied medicine.
Worked at a uni I+D department
Was the head researcher of a drug that aimed to heal an incurable disease.
Was fired.
Started her own business.
She's been there long enough for rumors to spread.

She is 28 or older imo.

Anime and Atlus logic. Probably 25 imo. She could be mega genius that passed classes early. Speaking of age, do we have one for Sae? How much older was she supposed to be than Makoto?

Perfect example of the shitty behavior I was talking about. For exhibit B see the scene after she gets her codename and starts barking orders at Ryuji and Morgana while Ann, Yusuke and MC start clowning them for putting up with it.

Yeah, Tae would have to be late twenties-early thirties (my money is on late twenties) given her story.

Yeah, Ann's got the most real with her cutting down the fake Ann, then chucking fireballs at that clown and putting the fear of God into him at the end of the Palace. People talk about Ryuji and Ann just "being there" but the thing to remember is that the game is like 100+ hours long and they're the first two characters you get. They have some good plot, it's just that theirs comes in the beginning. Yusuke doesn't get much later on either but it doesn't mean his development never happened.

Poor Haru is the only real candidate for just "being there" IMO. You get her so late that she feels like an afterthought, which is criminal because she's a really good character they just do nothing with.

I love the Ann
Hawaii trip scene. It's sweet how she's legit thinking about a future with you already and the food truck part totally plays to her love of all things food.

smh

Jintor

can we just take a moment and appreciate the animations in this game

they are so fucking dope

fuck atlus for not eltting us share shit
even though i couldn't do it anyway because i only have a ps3

RalchAC

I love the Ann

Haru is the best Confidant out of the main party IMO, although I'd say Futaba comes out on top in the end due to having a lot of screentime during Sojiro's Confidant too. People shouldn't neglect it despite being unlocked late into the game. It levels up really fast too.

I mostly agree with the fact that Ann is "bullied" as the fanservice character at times which comes to detriment to her story arc. But I don't think it's done to the extent some people talk about. Stuff like her battle pose being so forced go hand in hand with her laughably bad flirting skills. Even the "Sexy Talk" during Negotiations is cringeworthy and over the top. Yeah, eye candy and all, those are just my impressions.

Just finished Okumura's confidant, and I find it odd how Ann, despite being Lovers Arcana, hardly has any chemistry with you. Unlike other girls, who blush or at least get somewhat interested in Joker personally at rank 9, Ann seems to be the odd one out. I was actually surprised you could romance her, and the romance option comes so suddenly after Ann
had a tearful farewell with Shino and you suddenly decide to confess to her.

Can someone correct me on this? Ann was the first Confidant I maxed so my memory's a bit hazy, but I do somewhat recall her route is mostly void of any chemistry with Joker.

Just finished Okumura's confidant, and I find it odd how Ann, despite being Lovers Arcana, hardly has any chemistry with you. Unlike other girls, who blush or at least get somewhat interested in Joker personally at rank 9, Ann seems to be the odd one out. I was actually surprised you could romance her, and the romance option comes so suddenly after Ann
had a tearful farewell with Shino and you suddenly decide to confess to her.

Can someone correct me on this? Ann was the first Confidant I maxed so my memory's a bit hazy, but I do somewhat recall her route is mostly void of any chemistry with Joker.

We've talked about it before, Ann's slink feels like 3 separate slinks duck taped together. A shiho slink, a model slink, and a generic party member slink. The three elements of Ann's story could have each been their own separate tale. The fact you don't change of heart the rival model despite the stunts she pulled should tell you all you need to know about how rushed/half assed the whole slink was.

Defuser

I kinda semi regret maxing out Makoto's rank.

I always preferred her shouting "Johanna!" and spinning that persona bike of hers but now from a badass bike to a terrible bayformer.

NotLiquid

she is adorbs

also don't date your nerd sister pls or your teacher who is going to teacher jail for not doing the teaching right

When I first played P5 I roleplayed my protag as someone who, despite his false conviction, wasn't too far off from being a "dangerous dude" himself, with an untold delinquent streak of his own. Kawakami would've been the perfect option for a dastardly ~womanizer~ like him.

In all seriousness it's probably why I also drew myself to Haru so much because again, how incredible of a contrast they are in everything pertaining to social class and personality, yet they come together over the little things, realize they're more alike than you'd think, culminating in a great future for the both of them.

I hate all the persona upgrades for the party members in p3/p4/p5. They always feel over designed compared to their original forms which were 👌

Zafir

I don't know whether it's because they weren't that bad, or whether it's because it's been so long since I played through Persona 3/4 but I don't remember minding them.

All the upgrades in Persona 5 are just, meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Zyrox

you have bad opinions and you should feel bad

I can add another one: I think Makoto has the worst looking thief outfit. What's that knight looking visor? Doesn't fit with the rest of the outfit and looks (unintentionally) goofy.

I still like her as a character though. Just not in my battle party.

Top Bottom