• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

I hate all the persona upgrades for the party members in p3/p4/p5. They always feel over designed compared to their original forms which were 👌
I find the opposite to be true with quite a few. Carmen and Milady are super overdesigned in the best way. Hecate and Astarte are underdesigned in comparison.

In P4 Amaterasu is underdesigned compared to Konohana Sakuya

Ultimadrago

I can add another one: I think Makoto has the worst looking thief outfit. What's that knight looking visor? Doesn't fit with the rest of the outfit and looks (unintentionally) goofy.

I still like her as a character though. Just not in my battle party.

You know the thief outfit that really grew on me: Haru's. I was rather cold on it at first, but it works into her character design very well. I used Makoto over her in battle, but I've ended up liking Haru's outfit more.

Clearly her 1 year of practise was exceptional :p. Though it does sort of clash with her self image issues.

If anything, it accentuates those issues. Imposter syndrome must be fierce if you're a hotshot prosecutor taking on big cases a year out of school AND dealing with sexism in the workplace AND trying to run a household at the same time.

On the other hand, this is a game where people see "high school detective who goes on talk shows all the time" and think "yeah this is totally normal." So who knows.

Cherami Leigh is one of the best in the business. She was also really sweet in person. I had her sign my Nier Automata artbook over my P5 artbook though

Oddly enough I would have preferred her A2 voice performance over the makoto voice she chose to go with. Still good enough. Only English voice I had issue was haru which was offensively high and squeaky.

A.J.

Banned
LiquidDeadlyCanine-size_restricted.gif

Makoto's summer outfit is TOP

Astral

I kinda see why people might see Futaba as a little sister, at rank 1 anyway. She, the MC, and Sojiro have that whole family dynamic going on. Still gonna romance her just to piss Sojiro off though.

Oddly enough I would have preferred her A2 voice performance over the makoto voice she chose to go with. Still good enough. Only English voice I had issue was haru which was offensively high and squeaky.
Haru only felt off when she was
Morgana's Beauty Thief
. After that she settles in and was quite pleasant.

I don't know whether it's because they weren't that bad, or whether it's because it's been so long since I played through Persona 3/4 but I don't remember minding them.

All the upgrades in Persona 5 are just, meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.
Yeah put me in the camp that doesn't really like any of them.

EXCEPT Seiten Taisei. He fucking rules.

actually knowing what she's doing = shitty behaviour

dood ur kidding me

Not wanting to get threatened with violence or actually hit for disagreements when you're supposed to be working with someone (especially when you
risked your own life to save the little dummy from being abused by a Yakuza gang
) doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I guess I'm not "animmeeeee" enough for this game sometimes.

Just like it would have been nice if you could call out Ryuji's behavior regarding Morgana a whole lot sooner than it naturally comes up in the game.

I just realised who should be a confidant link in the eventual persona 5 remaster. Wouldn't be a romance option because it could end up being poorly written.
the victim assaulted that got Mc on probabtion

Eumi

Not wanting to get threatened with violence or actually hit for disagreements when you're supposed to be working with someone (especially when you
risked your own life to save the little dummy from being abused by a Yakuza gang
) doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I guess I'm not "animmeeeee" enough for this game sometimes.

Just like it would have been nice if you could call out Ryuji's behavior regarding Morgana a whole lot sooner than it naturally comes up in the game.
Considering Morgana spends the entire game until Futaba shows up calling Ryuji worthless, including during times when he is not only actively risking his life for him but actively doing great (like when he gets a crit) despite Morgana always being the one to actually fuck up plans, the cat got what he deserved.

MSMrRound

I just realised who should be a confidant link in the eventual persona 5 remaster. Wouldn't be a romance option because it could end up being poorly written.

I'm still waiting for them to add the journalist club student/the female stalker/the foreign black guy that was trying in vain to scout for customers to enter the shop he's employed at etc etc

asagami_

Banned
I'm still waiting for them to add the journalist club student/the female stalker/the foreign black guy that was trying in vain to scout for customers to enter the shop he's employed at etc etc

They are Mementos cases, right? At least the stalker girl is one. Now I assume if someone has a face then they will be related to a side story lol

RalchAC

She should be in the MC's hometown, however. The whole assault thing happened while he was going home, right?

I'd love to have a foreign black guy Confidant, where he explains how he is having trouble adapting to Japan. As far as I've read and been told, it's quite tough living there unless you're married to a Japanese person.

Considering Morgana spends the entire game until Futaba shows up calling Ryuji worthless, including during times when he is not only actively risking his life for him but actively doing great (like when he gets a crit) despite Morgana always being the one to actually fuck up plans, the cat got what he deserved.

You know, good point. Actually fuck off Mona.

Still, Ryuji is a good dude that gets held back in his life by a bunch of stupid pop offs, he needs to learn the line between go time (I totally agree with him slugging the teacher despite the track team's thoughts) and not shouting in a crowded place about being Phantom Thieves. Well actually, your entire party is dumb as hell on that point. Leaving all those traces (including Futaba who's a frickin hacker) is supposed to be a case of "dumb teen" I suppose.

I'd love to have a foreign black guy Confidant, where he explains how he is having trouble adapting to Japan. As far as I've read and been told, it's quite tough living there unless you're married to a Japanese person.

That would be awesome. I was so pleasantly surprised to see the black doorman for that club look like an actual black male and talk like everyone else instead of a stereotype, he'd have been a cool Slink if he had gotten a back story.

PixelatedBookake

She should be in the MC's hometown, however. The whole assault thing happened while he was going home, right?

Ehhhh... Considering the way they portray homosexuality and even women sometimes in these games I'd be afraid to see how they handle a black main character.

Strangely Mika from Ann's substory has one but she does nothing but appear in that social link.

I would have to imagine Mika had to play a story role at some point in the game's development. Only explanation I can think of why she is the only Confidant exclusive npc to have a portrait.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I would have to imagine Mika had to play a story role at some point in the game's development. Only explanation I can think of why she is the only Confidant exclusive npc to have a portrait.

Hat random mementos dude early in the game who you meet at the station has a portrait and I totally forgot about it until I saw it in NG+. Never shows up again.

mdubs

Banned
I find the opposite to be true with quite a few. Carmen and Milady are super overdesigned in the best way. Hecate and Astarte are underdesigned in comparison.

In P4 Amaterasu is underdesigned compared to Konohana Sakuya

I don't like them because they don't have nearly the same thought and design put into them compared to the base personas. I have all of the final forms and none of them are even close to as good as the actual personas

LotusHD

Banned
I kinda see why people might see Futaba as a little sister, at rank 1 anyway. She, the MC, and Sojiro have that whole family dynamic going on. Still gonna romance her just to piss Sojiro off though.

You're the worst type of son lmao

Cherami Leigh is one of the best in the business. She was also really sweet in person. I had her sign my Nier Automata artbook over my P5 artbook though

Oh yea, she does also voice A2. It was always meant to be then.

Aki-at

Ryuji was probably the most fool hardy and reckless team member, especially mouthing we're the phantom thieves when ever he got the chance. #teammorgana

LotusHD

Banned
Ryuji was probably the most fool hardy and reckless team member, especially mouthing we're the phantom thieves when ever he got the chance. #teammorgana

See, Ryuji's the most obvious one who did this, but I've started to really dislike that he's the only one that gets called out on it. They basically all had moments where they'd say they were the Phantom Thieves, or strongly allude to it, whether it be on the train, their shitty "hideout" in the passageway, etc.

That's a bit misleading no ? That was a combination of an awkward attempt to localise the game for America and the awkward translations that were common at the time rather than something that was part of the original game.

I don't like them because they don't have nearly the same thought and design put into them compared to the base personas. I have all of the final forms and none of them are even close to as good as the actual personas

Companion final personas seem to suffer a lot from having to maintain a fairly similar appearance and motions to the initial persona despite often being completely unrelated, which makes them look questionable.

Thud

I really disliked makoto's approach when haru was introduced. Calm down woman, I'm talking to my future wife here, let me ask the questions okay.

That honestly annoyed me a lot. Like, Morgana compliments everyone when they do well in battle, but only Ryuji gets something backhanded.

Top Bottom